Is Wayland ready for prime time?

Anybody running Wayland with KDE/GNOME/any DE that is not complete shit? Preferably on Gentoo. Can it be used as a daily driver already?

ships as default on fedora 25, works fine with gnome 3.

How is gnome boxes on 25?

Wayland will be the default for the version of Gnome that will be shipped with Debian 9.

This is amazing, the protocole is only 4 years old. When the industry is pushing a technology things move very fast.

Wayland is a mistake as far as freedom of choice is concerned.

It's also the enemy of ricing.

>It's also the enemy of ricing.
How that?

No more a billion thousand window managers, you have to make a compositor which is way harder.

Then the whole client/compositor side decoration business pops up, and you will want to kill yourself.

>needs systemd

lel. I'll wait for Mir.

>handling input in the compositor

wayland was a mistake

>>needs systemd
No it doesn't.

Fedora 24 has it but I don't use it over Openbox.

>When the industry is pushing a technology things move very fast.
What industry is pushing Wayland?

RedHat

Xorg developers.

>If you want a different window manager, you can write a new one. A 'libweston' effort is underway in order to allow new environments to reuse Weston's codebase and mechanics, whilst providing their own look and feel.
That's probably a good thing though.
>No more a billion thousand window managers
and only 1 or 2 good ones.

It's only a matter of time.

Mir is as good as dead.

Kevinnet

fucking mir - wayland would be totally intergrated by now if it wasnt for those canonical ass hats having a bad case of NIH

Thanks nice to know

The wayland devs are awesome - i think they will sick it to poettering's ilk

does anybody know if wayland + cinnamon is a thing ? i really need to know this.

they need to port MATE to gtk3 first and then I think it could work since gnome3 got ported to wayland

thanks for that

i knew Clem (the linux mint BDFL) was holding back on wayland till it was a bit more mature

I tried Sway (the i3 compatible Wayland window manager). It works fine, but if you use anything that works with raw xlib/motif (e.g. xterm or urxvt) you'll have to run a shitty x server that runs on top of wayland and it sucks.
Also, last time I checked you couldn't set your screens in portrait mode. Landscape only.

It definitely does have a ways to go. Still has bugs and many incompatibilities. For example in GIMP the color picker tool doesn't work, many screen recorders written for X don't work, many things still need to be ported gnome shell isn't fully ported, and that was all I experienced after using it for an hour or two. I have also heard of bugs with fullscreen gaming.

Even after it does fully mature, I'm probably not going to use it unless it's really forced on me or everything gets ported fast. I don't get screen tearing or driver issues on X so the only reason to use it would be for added security. I just use a home PC so I really have no reason to.

Xwayland (the proxy that allows you to run un-ported X applications) will cause small frame rate drops in games.

>many screen recorders written for X don't work
Wouldn't recording the screen become the compositor's job on Wayland?
Other programs aren't supposed to have access to windows that they don't own.

Yeah exactly. There are many incompatibilities and a lot still needs to get ported. Using Wayland is only going to make your experience more buggy and slower unless everything gets ported. XWayland will cause performance drops and incompatibilities.

still no icons on gnome 3 desktop, it's not ready

Testing GNOME wayland actually.

>Improvements
+NO screen flickering as opposed to X sessions
+HD streaming is smoother
+gtk 3 dropdown menus do no disappear right after your mouseclick finishes

>Bugs
-Sometimes applications do not open in full screen: gets stuck halfway so neither the app is full screen nor it's windowed
-Context menus are sometimes less responsive

Overall:
Definitely a big improvement. I'd give it more time and wait until when GNOME 25 comes out

They work fine. I still prefer Virtual box though I can see the appeal of boxes.

I'm running Fedora 25 right now but I don't use the GNOME with Wayland session too often but it feels really nice. Maybe I'm crazy but somehow it just 'feels' better than Xorg. The only weird thing I've noticed is that MPV opens without window decorations.

>you have to make a compositor which is way harder.
you can make a weston shell instead.

I've had my Fedora wayland desktop freeze a few times when opening up a pdf and adjusting the window size of the TOC. Had to log into another TTY, kill Wayland and restart it about 4x now. Wayland also goes ape stupid upon startup sometimes and scrambles the screen.

This is a work computer, at home I run GuixSD without X

The problem is X runs in root, and is 30 years old. It had to go and now is not soon enough.

OpenBSD's X11 implementation is the only one that run X without root

isn't it just abstracted KVM? meaning Gnome Boxes just fills in all the decisions automatically instead of having you use virt-manager or command line qemu/kvm

This.
They got tired of removing hundreds of thousands of lines of code to make it more manageable. Thus they threw it out and wrote something new.

are videos supposed to not work? mpv doesn't even start and vlc logs me off for some reason.

probably a mistake in some conf file, would use it exclusively otherwise.

Just checked with totem, it works

mpv worked for me both through Xwayland and by using the native backend opengl-backend=wayland
It is a build time option though, so you depending on your distro you may need to compile it in.
But since it didn't work with the X backend it seems like you either didn't install xwayland or didn't set that module to be loaded in your weston.ini

>It's also the enemy of ricing.
I don't use Gentoo because I'm a ricer. I use it mostly because it lets me choose which versions of software I install. So I can have a very stable base with a very recent DE and GUI applications.

How is that in any way relevant to this thread?
You are going to give the rest of us a bad name if you go into every thread and >I use gentoo, when its totally irrelevant to the discussion.

>a bad name
>on Sup Forums

kek

Just look at all the arch babies and solus shill.
I'm sure you hate them as much as the rest of us.