/bfl/ - Tech Buy It for Life General: Thread debut edition

hi Sup Forumsuys can we start having buyitforlife threads?

post and recommend tech devices you buy once for specific purpose that generally need not be replaced for a long time.

I'll start with some of my stuff:
>Paperwhite 3
>Casio F-91W
>IBM Model M
>Cherry G80
>MS Optical Mouse
>Monoprice 8323
>Xbone controller
>Portable USB 3.0 Harddrive

Other urls found in this thread:

dickies.com/pants/flex-slim-skinny-fit-twill-work-pant/WP803.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thinkpad x220.

x220t
Technics SL1200
Olympus mjuII

>>>/reddit/

Thinkpad T420s
AKG K240
Carhartt jacket

>Thinkpad
I have some bad news...

That shit won't last another year.

High-quality audio playback devices in general: amps, speakers, subs, etc. Good audio today is still going to be good audio in the future, just like good audio gear from decades ago can still be good today. Bonus points for them being fairly easily fixable.

>>Paperwhite 3
obsolete as soon as e-ink gets cheaper, which will be very soon.
>>Casio F-91W
>>IBM Model M
>>Cherry G80
>>Monoprice 8323
fine
>>MS Optical Mouse
>>Xbone controller
these WILL wear out
>>Portable USB 3.0 Harddrive
obsolete within the next five years

Fuck I just shit my pants

>obsolete as soon as e-ink gets cheaper, which will be very soon.
How so?

there are many more uses for e-ink besides reading books. a bigger and more responsive e-ink screen would realize them, like browsing the internet in full color and comics.

The comfiest fucking pair of pants you will ever own.

dickies.com/pants/flex-slim-skinny-fit-twill-work-pant/WP803.html

i wore these every day when i worked at dominos. they were pretty decent except for how dickies always run crazy small in my experience.

yeah very few things in consumer tech could even possibly be "buy it for life". i feel like this sorta thread is better suited for /fa/ or the other "lifestyle" boards.

it's literally a subreddit, OP needs to go back

Rocking a grey or blue pair with a nice pair of boots and a cuff; you look fly as fuck and you're comfy as fuck too.

should have got the G80-11800 instead.

>mx browns over mx blacks that are vintage-tier
lol nah, OP did well

>ctrl+f
>NO MS INTELLI-FUCKING-MOUSE WMO
Sasuga Sup Forums

>>MS Optical Mouse
>>these WILL wear out

I have two, one from 2004 and the other one from 2002 (white) and the other one from 2004 (black, Maxdata edition).
These mice could survive atomic blasts if anything

The lack of Sansa MP3 players is disturbing

how are the scroll wheels?

The buttons still have a limited number of cycles.
It's good tech, but it will wear out eventually; fast enough not to be BIFL.

Why not?

>Xbone controller

Yeah, naw. Maybe the 360 controller. Don't get me wrong, I love the One controller, but I've gotten 3 out of the box defective.

Man Plasma screen TVs last a very long fucking time.

My Parents bought one probably like 10 years ago or almost at least, and now is that it is starting to die. It was used so much, everyday almost all day.

TVs in general last a very long time, I don't think they die often.

Mint.
The only thing that wore out is of course the white plastic on the white one that turned a tid bit yellowish due to normal aging and light exposure.

>16 years my friend
And it's still doing a great job, there's no a single sign of drop in performance

The microswitches are off the shelf parts. It'd be a trivial repair if you have even a passing knowledge of soldering.

You can already do manga on the kobo and I doubt there would be a huge market for "colorful e-ink browsing" or color comic book pages. Just too niche to drive the price down.

I did see some models that had a pen, which is very cool and could be something to think about.

>hi Sup Forumsuys can we start having buyitforlife threads?
NO! I need the newest and greatest memes!

Thinking about buying those monoprice phones but they seem a bit flimsy. What's the chance of them snapping after a year?

The cable is nice tho.

>I like to waste money on gimmicky features I wont use or excessive features that I will never need.

It'll hurt in the end.

9 inches is small, 6 inches is way too small.
a paperwhite wouldn't cut it, but I didn't say the tech in general wasn't close.

I could see it being used in schools once the whole pen integration.comes into place. It would be a death sentence if apple does capitalize. Size really wont matter, as long as its between 12 and 6 in.

The 360 is hands down one of the best controllers made period.

The headphone in the pic I bought 7 years ago. It is still going strong with the original pads and everything.
It is plastic and it is a bit flimsy. but again, I have been using it daily for the past seven years.

360 controller dpad is shit tho. quality control of xbone is fucked, but if you have a good one, they beat 360 controller any day

>no market for color
This tech is being tapped for kiosk ads, wouldn't be surprised to see a push for billboards in the next few decades.

Not pictured: wired 360 controller

daily T60 user reporting in

Literally anything that's not chinkshit as long as you take good care of it. I have a Thinkpad T400, MBP 2006, iPod touch 1st gen, iPod classic 5th gen, and I'm posting from a Nexus 5 which is running 7.1 Nougat effortlessly. Invest more money in good tech and it'll last forever.

>portable usb 3 hard drive
>hard drive
>life

yeah no. and no, im not claiming MUH SSD, im just saying a hard drive is not gonna last you a lifetime, let alone one you use portably.

What's the keyboard ?

the blue label model m

I'd love even a bigger, higher-resolution grayscale panel. Something that's 8.5x11 with high DPI and a well-thought-out operating system under the hood.

got this, hoping it lasts a long while.

also have an x200, mechanical keyboard (iffy on this 2bh,) a steelcase leap, and a kobo glo hd.

feels good not buying junk that breaks in a few months.

>IBM Model F AT
Other Model Fs and the Model Ms are also great
>Sony MDR-7506
Not the best headphones around, but certainly durable and long-lasting
>Etymotic MC-5
I'm aiming to upgrade to the ER-4S as soon as I have the money for it, but these earbuds never fail me, and are looking brand new, even 2-ish years in
>Thinkpad X201
Runs cool, quiet, battery lasts ~10-12 hours with Linux + TLP, display is durable, SSD inside, easy to repair, cheap off-the-shelf components all around, it's basically perfect.

PowerBook G4. Still decent.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Steam Controller
Thinkpad T430

>~10-12 hours
What kind of battery is that?

winrar

Me too, but it will never happen, my friend

looks comfy as fuck, but you might want to invest in a headphone holder, famalam

9-cell. Linux + TLP

>>MS Optical Mouse
they break easily and i've always found that the right click was too easy to click. i always had a right-click misfiring issue with them. replaced mine with a logitech.