Theory: There is nothing left to program

Theory: There is nothing left to program.
Prove me incorrect.

There are infinitely many programs that could exist.
There are not infinitely many programs that actually exist.
Done.

>Prove me incorrect.
Despite the fact that I answered you, that's not how burden of proof works, you faggot.

Make a new programing language.

>le burger of proof
>le everything must apply to this meme rule

fuck off nerd

It was just a joke, Bro. Lighten up.

/shit thread

There's always something to program.

The theory true if you lack creativity, or literally finish a program. I suppose you mean the first. Then, the theory is true if and only if you lack creativity.

Because programming involves problem solving, art (a program that is small and solves a problem well is considered an art), and engineering (because you create something). Then stating "there is nothing left to program" means you believe everything has already been created, and that every problem has been solved.

While the above statement is not true in the real world, it does become true on an individual's intellectual ability. Hence, if you are intellectually impaired, then in YOUR world it is true. QED.

The "meme rule" exists so productive conversations can actually occur, nerd

In the novel Excession, by Ian Banks everything has actually been programmed. Characters go halfway across the galaxy to dig up buried labs in abandoned planets in order to raid their programs and software.

noone cares you fucking idiot

There is only one thing left to program: your mom.

Prove me incorrect.

>reinvent the computer

programs exist to solve problems.

there are still problems which haven't been solved.

ergo, not all programs exist.

Qoppa Epsilon Delta.

Quit Ed Discordum.

/thread

True AI.

if theres nothing lft to prgram why are people using such garbage

market momentum, deals made between Microsoft and computer makers, lack of users being informed and/or rational

But I guess perfecting a free operating system is still on the table, yes. Unless someone can point me to a Linux distro where everything works flawlessly with no pitfalls.

>We have mastered physics, there's nothing left to discover
t. idiots in 19th/20th century

If that was correct, I wouldn't have a job.

logical fallacies don't stop being logical fallacies just for the sake of argument, user

Sorry but there are still crap drivers for ati cards for linux.

Let's address this issue. Is there a website where you can report your specific issue to the OSS community? Maybe there should be like a... I don't know... linuxproblems.com or something. Ideally it would work as well as Yahoo! Answers or better, showing developers where work is needed and demanded.

I don't know, I'm just blabbing really.

github.com

Me again. A Google search revealed that there is already a linuxproblem.org website. Not sure if it's more geared toward Linux users making existing software work versus directing developers to new work, but it is close.

>But I guess perfecting a free operating system is still on the table, yes. Unless someone can point me to a Linux distro where everything works flawlessly with no pitfalls.

Can I put it on a bootable USB and does it support my wifi card out of the box? Just curious.

>Can I put it on a bootable USB
You can do this with any linux distro. Linux isn't a big closed-off walled garden where you have to ask for linus' permission before doing something

(Unlike Windows 10, which will literally refuse to let you install it on a USB hard drive)

ipfs, this shit needs a lot of programming.

You're partially right.

Indeed, we've pretty much solved all computer problems already, and like 90% of programming jobs are about reinventing the wheel because "waaah the 163 existing software don't EXACTLY answer our needs so we'll make a 164th", when they could just take existing open source software and contribute to it.

The 10% remaining which is about answering "new" needs actually mostly consists of pointless, useless needs, just trendy shit people think is new but actually isn't, or provide features which when you think it through aren't really needed, or are just a subset of a much larger, better feature. As an example, half the extra features, 3rd party apps and shit on Twitter, which only stems from the retarded concept of limiting messages to 140 characters, which if bumped to 1MB would suddenly render all those extra revolutionary features pointless.

Clearly a lot of the effort is waited, but out there there's still a minority of new programming jobs.