/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl-grsec/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl-ck/
prism-break.org/en/
files.catbox.moe/gw1p66.sh
files.catbox.moe/bon2bt.py
twitter.com/AnonBabble

didn't post this in time last thread

currently using xubuntu and arch, thinking of hopping

how's fedora for general desktop use?

besides gui and some packages it comes with is their actually much difference between debian and ubuntu (+ ku, lu, xu, etc). seems like theyre all just debian really

>general desktop use
these words have no meaning though

systemd will destory you

basically, these are my needs

>recent kernels, mainline or close behind
>extensive repos with proprietary software if needed
>no breakage or very little

arch just keeps fucking breaking these days and I'm tired of it

xubuntu is pure ass

yeah it's fine
not sure about the second part though, you have to fuck around a bit for that to work if i recall correctly

yeah apparently I need third party repos to get anything proprietary. not good, rather have that with as little hassle as possible.

fuck, I wish arch could be a little more stable. everything else just feels incomplete in comparison.

You're looking for gentoo. You can have older packages (not sjwbian-tier old) for the stuff that breaks most often but you can still have the bleeding edge packages for anything you want

puppy linux or xubuntu?

Please stop posting horse shit.

I haven't though, what exactly in my post is "horse shit"?

correction: the RPMFusion project is actually ran by fedora devs so I'm guessing it's robust and won't randomly fuck me over like RPMForge did

I'll take KDE Fedora for a spin and post my conclusions in a few weeks if I remember

>tfw can never get Linux to work with my Wi-Fi or audio
just end my life senpai
the last time I successfully installed Debian the grub magically forgot where it was one day

I'm trying to get off windows asap. Wanting debian but having problems. First, it seems like you need to already have some linux system to boot from USB for installation. What is up with this? Then I tried unetbootin but it said that it I had hardware that needed proprietary software. Not preferable, but OK. Thing is it wanted me to have the software on some usb or something and install it right then! I was like, uhh. And then I quit out.

Did I do something stupid? Was I on the right track? What about slackware?

>sjwbian or sjwbian based shite
no...
just do yourself a favor and avoid it.

>First, it seems like you need to already have some linux system to boot from USB for installation.
no, just change BIOS boot order.

>Then I tried unetbootin but it said that it I had hardware that needed proprietary software.
first time I hear about anything of the sort but if it's a relatively new laptop I wouldn't be fucking surprised.

what are you trying to install this on?

>Was I on the right track? What about slackware?
I wouldn't look at debian or slackware for a windows replacement. the former will frustrate you with its lack of recent software and the latter will put you so far out of your comfort zone you'll probably just give up.

I'm going to get shit for this but I would personally recommend ubuntu.

if not Debian then what?
>Mint
no
>Arch
no
>Ubuntu
deprecated Chink botnet Debian
>Solus
kevinnet

pls explain

Also, I partitioned my hard drive but I don't know how to use this free space. Obviously I want to put an OS there but how do I go about this? Will the installer address this? In the debian installer it seemed like it wanted to partition then, but I had done it before.

explain yourself.
>mint
sjwbian based shite.
>arch
just a bloated piece of shit, not that bad though
>ubuntu
sjwbian based shite
>solus
just plain shite
everything sjwbian based is just literal horseshit, you can't even call that a distro

Such is life with Broadcom wifi.

I dual boot Arch and Gentoo, if it matters.

>if not Debian then what?
Gentoo Linux with GNU removed.

>no, just change BIOS boot order.
This is what I gathered from the debian install guide. They were talking about some command which would format the usb correctly.

My computer is lenovo ideapad u530 touch

I actually went to the website for ubuntu just before posting this but was scared by the corporate product feel. That's when I went to look at slackware.

I'm not super concerned with the distro being hard to use when I'm in it, I just want to install something. Preferably more free.

puppy linux is sjw?

also with i was having heaps of issues using debian as a first distro, booted without gui and couldnt install wireless drivers. just use a buntu or eos, will be much better for you

What's the best non-SJWbian distro for the Raspberry Pi?

DELET

suicide linux

>sjwbian
Did the people doing debian offend you or is this something against the product in and of itself.

jesus christ you cunts are the biggest reason nobody wants to use linux

it's simply shite, install gentoo

Both, it can't really be separate since the first will always have some influence on the second.
Those retards change standard naming conventions like slave and master because it isn't in line with their political ideology.

Ok guys, I'm giving up arch linux. Can't even install BCM43142 driver on my laptop. What the actual fuck can I do? I'm stressed!

I see.

look at >!
thanks for letting us know
now we know your stressed
>im losing an argument
>better just tell everyone not to talk with him xD
yeah kid, that's how it works. you can just force two people not to talk since it offends you.

nobody wants to use Linux because the distro choices suck ass and Lennart has contaminated it

Arch is sjw trash. just avoid it and install a better distro.

Thanks for noticing it, pal. Now I can continue being stress :D

I'll try eos, thanks. The install guide is pretty easy so far.

A literal meme distro, anything else?

systemd isn't normalfag deterrent

it's unixfag deterrent

and that's a good thing

>pal
literally who

that's my name lmao
he somehow hacked my linux with his python

t. Red Hat

hey i got a question with qemu and graphics passthrough.

so basically, i want to run XP on my chromebook, but the trackpad is connected using I2C, so only windows 8+ would work.

if i were to install a minimal distro, and run qemu at boot, would i be able to get mouse/keyboard working or no?

>hacked my linux

where the fuck did you get this image of me?!

Yo im setting up a new installation of lubuntu but im getting "unsafe swap space" and then it stops.

What do i do

stop using hate speech

see

Guys im scared please help

Guys i fixed it but im stuff having issues with this, i cant install it, a plethora of errors mostly relating to the disk appear. Ccan i format it somehow before doing this install or what? My previous install was encrypted and all

You can install GParted on the live USB and format it with that.

Hi
I have the exact same wifi chip. You have to install this package:
aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl/

However if you have grsec enabled you need this aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl-grsec/

If you are using the -ck patchset in your kernel you want this
aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl-ck/

What distro should I use if I like privacy? I'm using ubuntu right now, should I switch to tails? Is there an in-between?

prism-break.org/en/

tails isn't designed to be a primary distro

Actually im trying because it was installed on the live usb but it wont open

>bought a keychain usb as a resuce disk and general move shit around
>it's so small I can't get it out of most of the devices I own because it sits nearly flush
>also they called it a "jump drive" on the packaging

Why not? And what do you mean by that, should I run another one? Sorry, new to linux, so I don't know much.
Those are mostly programs though. I'm using some of them already.

What's the best Windows these days? I'm switching from Linux.

are you moving on from arch? arch user here just wondering why you are leaving is all.

Yes, I'm using arch.
Just never used windows and I was wondering what's the best one out there.

W7

How would I configure ranger to open a file with a GUI editor (Leafpad) that is separate from the terminal session so that it doesn't close if you close ranger/the terminal?

>uses le epic cli file manager to be a cool hacker
>doesn't use vim
lmao
at least get your memes straight

Trying to install Arch, I already have a windows disk and I'm trying to put arch on a completely separate disk including the bootloader.

The systemd bootloader booted alright but there was no arch option, should I just go with GRUB? Has systemd memed me already?

wrong post my man

are you using efi? you don't even need a bootloader then, look up efistub

Yeah I'm using a 512mb efi partition for /boot

I was just following the guide, which is written pretty awfully desu.

I'll give it a go, thanks user. So will I be able to just boot the disk through bios then?

I know pacman -syu can fuck something
Do i have to backup something? Any config?

yeah, it's really convenient and that way you don't have to be extra cautious about grub overwriting anything windows related

By the way im using arch if it's relevant

Pacman have any diffrences on manjaro?

Cheers for that user I've booted in to the system now. efibootmgr and efistub were exactly what I needed

Any recommendations for a DE?

KDE is literally the best. Also check out i3 if you want just a tiling wm.

pacman doesn't fuck up anything

Autopartitioning uaing lvm failed.

What does it mean and how do i fix it? I just want an encrypted disc

how stable is arch? im thinking about switching

Anyone?

pretty stable, Arch never broke for me

Is it possible to limit firefox download speed on linux?
Like some program that can limit interned usage to specific apps

Just wrote a script to set random wallpaper from /wg/. You can change the board is it from editing the python script. Change the name of python script to pape.py.
Also in the script you can change interval, and the way wallpaper is it (this one is for gnome 3).
files.catbox.moe/gw1p66.sh
files.catbox.moe/bon2bt.py

systemd sucks balls

Name me actual problems with systemd, except the default problems of standardization.
Just to say I was also a member of this 'le fuck systemd' group but got bored of autism you guys have.
Also
>sjwbian
really
really
guys.

I feel like this has been asked to death, but in palemoon/fire fox how do I just get the KDe file picker to work?

i went into about:config and changed ui.allow.platform.file.picker to both settings. on true it lets me preview one file at a time, on false it shows pic related. forums seem all over the place giving advice on how to fix this.

So far ive used windows 10 for all my main stuff and kali linux for linux stuff . however its quite unreliable as an os and i want to switch to a more power linux as i have to use it more often. My favourite window/desktop manager is gnome. Between arch,debian or ubuntu (the latest ones) , which one should i use or not use and why? Thanks

>json
>python
no thanks lmao

a "tmp" folder popped up in my home directory on Ubuntu.

Is it safe to remove?

it has a file named "odch" in it.

>sjwbian
choose anything but this.

noob here
what do i do now?
i have an i5 4590

Install the kernvel version without -pae.

I forgot the sudo password so im using a guest login. Can i delete the sudo account and make a new one? I dont care about data

kill yourself already and stop shitting up this thread holy shit

>he posts using memearrows in late 2016
just kys

Pretty cool idea.
Improvement ideas:
- Drop the papes to /tmp/.
- Write the resolution check and the loops also in python and make it a single script.
- Check for more wallpaper setters like feh, so it doesn't rely on gnomes gsettings.