Why should a normal perosn use pic related?

Why should a normal perosn use pic related?

For normal pc-shit. Everything normal people need can be done more easily on linux than windows 10.

it's pretty awesome

Normies should use freeBSD

To fake mental disability and get autism bux

It doesn't have adware and botnet, so it won't slow down

to become abnormal

they shouldn't, normies get out REEEEEEEEE

because it makes you cool

this

also a reminder that Stallman cant even install his own distro
Just ask a friend to do it for you, test it first in a liveusb
Stay away for mem distros and mem window managers

Ubuntu,Debian KDE Gnome...

far cheaper than mac, cheaper & less dangerous than windows

some distros are good enough for daily use by normies now if they're not crazy attached to shit like ms office or itunes

i'll be starting my kids on linux when they're old enough for computers

>Everything normal people need can be done more easily on linux than windows 10.
Except drive my printer and scanner reeeee

But a normie can just ask their pet neckbeard to recommend a model that works well with it

Gaming, CAD, photoshop, music editing...... Can those be done on linux?

>normal person

He specifically said NORMAL people. 90% of people do not give a shit about photoshop and music editors, most of them do not game on PC, and I find it hard to believe there's not a single CAD software for linux.

>normal-pc shit
normal pc shit is stuff like netflix and facebook

>Implying normies dont play games and mess around with software

Yes, if you settle for wine or non-proprietary standards.

>Wine
Literally dosent work

>Non-proprietary standardzie
Aka shit

*Standards

> old mother had never used computers before
> wanted to have one so she could check the news
> Got her a 17" laptop and installed GNU/Linux
> Show her how to search in case she needs to and click the bookmarks for the mainstream propaganda newspapers she likes to read
> Show her how to read and write gmail

This was 4 years ago. Her now a bit outdated computer still works very well, she's happy with it. She's also happy that it always works and that she doesn't have the problems "her friends have" with their computers.

Honestly, she'd probably be fine with using Windows or even PC Android like RemixOS.

She doesn't know what distribution she is using or what desktop (XFCE4) but she knows how to do everything she wants to do and she is happy with it.

It's free.
"free" as in "free beer" not as in "free speech"

If you don't play any games/ only games that run well natively or on wine there's no downsides really.
It's just a smoother experience than Windows, at least once you get used to the differences.

they don't.

There is no Stallmans distro

What distribution is actually running?

It's the only semi-secure way to use my older machines. I'm running Arch with blazing speed on a machine that struggles with Win XP.

>Why should a normal perosn use

So your super secret clubhouse can be compromised, violated, and tainted

ive literally never had that issue with out of the box distros like fedora or debian

Because you do everything in a browser now. Might as well use a stable and free as in free beer OS since it hardly matters.

Personally, I like OPENSCAD better than any other CAD utility I've tried. Can see how it would be difficult for someone already very used to SolidWorks or something similar to learn though.

Also, Gazebo is objectively better than any other robotics simulation programs, and it's a pain to get off Linux, not on it.

Because you only need firefox and basic music/office/video tools

Because Ubuntu works better for my needs and if I ever need Windows software I start up the VM.
Plus the only thing comparable to HUD is on OSX.

I need advice on what distro to use. I have my old laptop I don't use anymore and I want to give it to my mom. What distro should I use for basic web browsing?

No viruses.

I love Linux, but all the CAD software is unfortunately shit and hard to use for us engineers.

Ubuntu Unity you like Macs.
Ubuntu MATE or Linux Mint Cinnamon if you like Windows.
Everyone else is trolling you.

I love Linux like none other, but I'll admit it isn't for normies

Stay away normies, not even kidding

>literally doesn't work
wow nice post

Gentoo

>print to a WiFi printer
>scan from a WiFi scanner
>watch Netflix or Amazon in browser without tearing
>fill out an Adobe PDF form
>play almost any game
>use a USB WiFi dongle

Don't lie to yourself. I use Linux every day, but we shouldn't pretend.

Those are all easy as fuck besides the game issue, which is just a meme if you have a beefy enough computer. If you dont, just dual boot.

>Print and scan via wifi
cups and Google drive
>Netflix/Prime video
I've never seen it tear, and I have a Celeron running arch
>PDF
Chrome and Wine, vm if you're a bitchboy
>Games
I'm not twelve years old, sorry
>USB wifi dongle
They literally just werk™. USB dongles of any sort have yet to give me any grievances, and I've used Linux for years

Cups and Google Cloud Print don't do scanning. You're thinking of SANE. Ironically named since getting it to work is anything but.

I'm happy for you if tearing isn't an issue. Intel GPU with OSS drivers I assume?

Installing Wine to run Adobe Reader or using a VM are not "easier than win10". Missing proprietary software is very important to most users.

I'm glad you haven't had any problems with dongles. If you read reviews beforehand, it is usually easy to pick ones that will work, but it is in no way a sure thing if you're an "average user".

Most of these problems are solvable, but Linux users are accustomed to having to work around things that "just work" on other operating systems.

this

Turn it on, boots up faster than Windows.

Click on Chrome or whatever browser, loads faster.

Programs in general load faster

Hell even web pages are faster

And all the while you don't have annoying pop-ups harassing you to "up"grade to Windows 10 or restart your computer to install updates. Even better, you can use your computer WHILE updates are being applied, and you don't have to reboot it every update like you do with Windows. What a fucking concept :^)

You can do all that shit.

I was using Ubuntu mate on my x220 with windows 10 in a VirtualBox. I switched to Windows 10 because I have to write my thesis and I thought I'd have less problems if I needed some obscure software (also native office). So far I had more issues doing simple things, recognizing drivers etc on windows than Ubuntu. I'll probably go back to Ubuntu as main OS again after I graduate desu

Write it in TeX. It's just so much better, regardless of OS.

They shouldn't.

BSD has no drivers!

>normal person
>only uses PC for facebook and youtube
>doesnt need to pay a license or care about virus
why would a normal person NOT use linux ?

But it would if it was normie's first choice.