/pcbg/ PC Building General: Lampshades & Thermal Paste Edition

Remember to reapply your thermal paste once in a while. You don't want to turn your PC into an oven, do you?
A pea sized concentration of the thermal paste is usually the best choice, then let the heatsink spread it.
Good choices are: Noctua NT-H1, Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut and Prolimatech PK-2/3 Nano.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Previous Thread: Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/QFCwm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/K3VWJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/ytfpQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/4HPfxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/kpyFm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/wNkDQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/NBXP8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/CcZsKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/nMTrqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/Cgpdd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/M3s88K
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Pea sized
Not with the modern worlds golf ball sized peas
2 or 3 grains of rice is enough, ideally you want it to be as thin as possible and still fill in the roughness of your coolers plate

GUYS AMD IS SHOWCASING ZEN TODAY.
1 HOUR AND 30 MINS FROM THIS POST IT GOES LIIIIIVE

Ready for xeons to be btfo and nothing else

The syringe contains the correct amount of paste for your processor, always be sure to use the whole thing

Are PNY's GTX cards any good? I know they make the Quadro crads for Nvidia but I can't seem to find anything online about them.

a couple questions
first, I've got a fury x coming in the mail after waiting weeks for my rma. Before this I had a 295x2, so pretty similar setup with a small difference. with the 295x2 I had 2 noctuas in the front pulling air in, then 2 gentle typhoons in push pull on the 295x2 rad, the 295x2 stock fan on the back as the exaust and my cryorig r1 for the cpu
now, i think im going to use the GT for intakes (r5 has a bit of limited airflow the SP takes a bit better advantage of), the stock fan on the fury x, and then a noctua for an exhaust with the cryorig still, in this kind of set up
is this the best way to go about this? i wish i could switch over to a aio on the cpu but i cant afford it right now
really just looking for silence at this point, performance is more than enough for 90% of everything i do

I don't see why you think moving the fan would make the fan quieter

pcpartpicker.com/list/QFCwm8
3000 budget.
Must be M-ITX

what is a good motherboard for lga 1151 that supports sli for under $150

>$2600 pc
>first thing is 6700k
OH BOY HERE WE GO
Do you want us to actually max out a $3000 ITX build? Or do you want us to reduce the price and keep the PC good for dumb gaymen?

pcpartpicker.com/list/K3VWJV
gaymen pc, ~1300 dollar budget, pls rate, new to pc building, thank you

Fuck your meme pastes that you are forced to replace every year. Mx-7 is the best choice.

Why would I need something faster than the 6700k? Seems like it would run hot in such a small case

Get a better cooler, hyper 212 evo (still cheap as fuck, but better than what you have) fits on my 6600k in my N200
I basically have what you have, you can step up to gsync 1440p 144hz if you like, the 1070 can do 1440p at ~90fps for new games on ultra settings, and at 1440p 144fps for old games or lower settings, it's expensive but the monitor will outlive your gpu
Don't pay for Windows, download the USB bootable media from Microsoft website and just don't activate Windows (until you find an OEM key for $20)

For $2600 you should be appalled that you're getting a 6700k
If you don't need a better CPU, your build can be remade for maybe $1300

thank you

Well with all those hard drives, maybe $1500-1600, you can still save by getting a WD blue instead of black, and digging around for better 850 evo deals (because I know they're out there), delete the 850 pro.
Don't pay for Windows and look for a cheaper case.
FOR SURE get a cheaper motherboard (you're getting Z170, probably a wifi/Bluetooth mPCIe card preinstalled, and a single PCIe x16 slot either way)
Get cheaper fans (if you even need them)
You can get a slightly cheaper psu, corsair is overpriced on PSUs

That case is atrocious and worse, its HUGE for an itx build. Whats the point of itx if it takes up that much space? I wouldn't worry about overheating components either, 90% of that case is wire mesh.

And considering the case has two 2.5" bays and two 3.5" bays, you could probably split that 4tb HDD into two cheap 2tb ones

Got a radiator and the fans that came with it are loud as ass, was going to get a pair of noctua's to replace them with (as per some friend recommendations) but I'm wondering if you guys have any other opinions/suggestions?

its not moving the fan thats making it quieter, its just optimizing where the fans are going to do best
im just asking to see if theres a better way that would maybe let me run the fans slower with the same performance

Can you remake my build please? I need something portable for around 2,700. 3,000 tops.

lol

Just get a single 1TB SSD... Maybe a Crucial MX300. Get an NCASE M1, it's much smaller, then swap out the GPU for a blower-style one.
Instead of wasting money on a WD Black drive, either upgrade to a 2TB SSD or buy a WD Red 8TB. WD Blacks are stupid and useless nowadays.

This is what I would get for that kind of money, personally
pcpartpicker.com/list/ytfpQV
You can choose a CPU and motherboard that matches your budget though
Don't buy windows

Just go with the one you like the most, it matters very little.
Noctua makes great fans, but if you're autistic about muh aesthetic they likely won't match much of anything in your build, or maybe you want shitty LED memes.

In the end, it doesn't matter much to performance which fans you choose. But given that you have the choice, you obviously want a static pressure optimized fan for your radiator. That and noise are about all you really have to take into consideration, and the noise can be fan controlled away.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/ytfpQV
>6950x
Oh you fucking idiot

How many LEDs would I have had to fit in that build to make it $3200 otherwise?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/ytfpQV
Are slim cases practical or will they overheat under load?
I'm the 3000 ITX poster

For the CPU it's a big possibility, maybe a locked CPU would be a good choice in those cases with so few cooling options, but the gpu side of those cases (fit with a 90° adapter) are generally seperated and have good ventilation

Why not make the GPU a titan xp

Sweet, although I've built a my PC's a few times this is the first time I've actually moved into more-indepth stuff so I'm still learning what's best for certain stuff. (And nah, I couldn't give less of a shit about looks or LED garbage.)

I wanted to show him his $2600 plan could be a $1700 build too, the 6950x and X99 mobo is a $3000 joke, everything else isn't

I've been dumb and applied a small layer of thermal paste and then spread it out with my finger in a plastic bag. Should I redo it?

>temp is around 50-55C
>T520 I5

That's a fine temperature if it's under load

Next time use your penis

Temperature tops at 78C at the Thinkvantage stresstest.

will do

p.s Should I upgrade to an I7?

Devices in an Ncase will heat up more than in a normal case, but nothing beyond unreasonable, so long as it's well-fanned. A Noctua cooler would go a long there.

I return. What do you think? What can be improved?

I run my 6700k in a node 202 and it really doesn't get hot (albeit it's not oc'd)

stick to 6600k if you're just gaymen

3 SSD + 1 HDD is completely retarded get 1 of each and no more

The biggest gripe I have with your build is that the impact is a trash board that no one should buy. Get something lower priced.

This is the new build amigo. It's a work in progress. Thanks for the reply though

Why the hell are you so intent on spending $3000?

What are you even doing with this build?

>Remember to reapply your thermal paste once in a while.

This is what dorks actually believe in.

Yeah something like that

I travel a fuck ton for work. I got tired of laptops so I'm creating a dedicated suitcase for my computer equipment. I need something portable that can run 4k or at least nearly 4k without overheating.

Ditch 16 GB of RAM and get a 2TB SSD instead. Unless you're running VM's, although then you'd be better off with a mid-tower and some sort of E5 chip anyway.

Caught me off guard

I will be running virtualbox.

Some games use more than 8GB, especially if he's actually aiming for 4K games
And show a better price in a 2TB SSD, he's got 2 bays I believe so why not? He would have raid as an option as well

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4HPfxY
Wrong titan X

Senpai you're looking for the Titan X Pascal version, but even then it'd be best to wait for the 1080ti for 4k

shit. Thanks user

The 1080ti is basically the same as a Titan XP though, if you've got the money the Titan XP can max/veryhigh games at 4K 60hz right now

How many VMs?
A 2TB SSD should be around 100 USD more;

The mobo also has m.2
Why not use that instead of a second drive

Typically it's best to use a single drive than two. NVMe, outside of bragging rights, has very little usefullness for daily use, with only a few niche workloads making use of it. SATA over m.2 drives tend to be expensive and a bit pointless, not to mention that they're often outside the Intell storage controller.

New
pcpartpicker.com/list/kpyFm8
I think this is getting to the best scenario. Thanks for all the support thus far.

>speeds man cannot yet fathom

can i use this as a radiator for a watercooling setup

>I'll make a swastika with my thermal paste!
>Maybe people will save the picture and make it a meme!
>Aw shit, I fucked it up.
>I'll just use a gray paintbrush in photoshop, nobody will notice!

Fuck you, OP.

How do I orient a memecooler? To preheat the intake air or heat up the CPU with hot exhaust air?

They're either comparable to SATA or get way too hot behind the motherboard

How does this look for a budgeted pc for gaming. I dont need everything ultra but I do want to run games and I think with this I can always just add another graphics card later.

Any suggestion for a wireless network adapter? I can't just plug into the router.

I also saw someone post the OS is free but I don't see that anywhere on the site

Looks too budget.

Hot exhaust upwards everytime.

"Create installation media Microsoft"
Google
Not that hard

ignore the name that shit was for a /vg /joke

for now it needs to be because this is a gift my mom is getting me but it needs to be under 550 and we need to place the order soonish. After Christmas I was going to order another gtx 1050 Ti

wow im fucking special lol

pcpartpicker.com/list/wNkDQV

this is the link

What's your stance on buying a used CPU? I might pull the trigger on this 4790k on ebay if I get it for 30% less than new.

>those stock fans that come with the H115i
don't make me relive that pain, user

Ebay seller here, just say it doesn't work when you get it, and you magically get it for free.

It's called "SNAD". Look it up.

Who's gonna pay for it? How do I prove it really doesn't work? What's stopping them from asking me to send it back?

pcpartpicker.com/list/NBXP8K
Are these drives ok? Is there any reason I should get CAS 14 over CAS 15 RAM?

Not really a build question but I didn't see a more appropriate thread and didnt seem like a big thing to make a thread on.

I currently already have a decent rig but wanted to get a laptop because I am often away from home. I would like to be able to play at least some basic games to keep me occupied if it comes down to it. I'm in a hotel often but don't really want to make a mini itx build to carry around. So I can either buy a new "gaymen" laptop with a 1060 in it OR I can buy a Laptop with type-c thunderbolt and a good processor and use something like the Alienware AMP to put in my 390x. Anyone with any recommendations helps.

Also I might wait for kabylake since it's right around the corner and get a 960 pro when they're easier to come by.

what kind of question is this nigga
how much are you getting the 4790k for
because I can already tell you're getting fucking swindled

my sides

It's still up for auction for another day and nowhere near 200 bucks yet. The guy is also selling an MB, RAM and aftermarket cooler. Pretty sure he just upgraded to a 1151 socket, as opposed to getting rid of it because it has a problem.

I don't know, can you ?
You'll have to figure out custom mounting stuff and whatnot, as well as possibly put new fittings on there. Can you manage that ?

also don't listen to this poopscoop unless you're buying from a big time seller
small time sellers will actually care about you sending shit back and can be a huge bitch to deal with

>a swedish seller got scammed and sent SURSTRÖMMING with feces in it to the scammer every single week

pcpartpicker.com/list/CcZsKZ

First time building a pc, any tips?

Trying to stay around $1000.

That drive won't load your games faster, you know that right?

>op's-anal-rape-apparatus.jpg

Its for autism

You could go lower on the PSU and be fine, other than that you're on the right track

Looks pretty comfy. I would just get a mx300 and xfx 480 and save some $ for a better case, but your choices are fine.

I honestly have no fucking clue what it actually is. I've had it saved since forever ago and it makes me laugh every goddamn time I scroll by it looking for an image.

Temple Grandon's contribution to science

That HGST drive is old, they are currently on 7k6000. I have a 7k4000 and its pretty nice. Cas 14 is faster, but is it worth it to you?

I'm just going to be gaymen so probably not.

Someone probably just used the X method and OP tried to make it look like a swastika. Quit being a retard.

I looked into that drive, it only has a 32mb cache. Im a huge fan of hgst, but a 7200rpm wd blue might be a better idea.

All I need to know is if the Zen equivalent of the 6600k is gonna be cheaper and support ddr4 or not

AMD's equivalent of a 6600k won't be released for another 2 generations of CPUs, don't kid yourself.

Thoughts? Tossing up between the 250 & 500 SSD

Prices are in AUD not USD

pcpartpicker.com/list/nMTrqk

Is this better? Also is the 480 better or worse for games?

I was in a previous thread, had no pics, but here it is now all built and after playing around with the fans for a bit

pcpartpicker.com/list/Cgpdd6

runs beautifully and fast, dont have any new games to test out on it yet though

pcpartpicker.com/list/M3s88K

Why the fuck did you get an expensive as fuck case that has AIRFLOW in its name when you don't the slightest of fucks about airflow and just throw the cables wherever?
Why the fuck did you get an expensive as fuck PSU that's modular if you don't even need half the wattage and throw cables wherever anyway?
Please tell me you didn't actually get an MB for 500 bucks.