Alternatives to MySQL using Python

Sup Sup Forums

Been programming in strictly python for about a 2 years. Writing a database right now in MySQL, but it just feels so inefficient. What's a good ORM for python3?

please respond

Sorry, she freaks me out

That's why she's attractive

someone's gotta know

I'm not helping you simply because you posted that tomboy cunt. Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

use sqlite

is she a cunt? i don't even know who it is, just thought she was sexy m8. why you gotta be autistic

Probably all dem vaccines

Is that Grimes?

She wishes

I was thinking SQLAlchemy, but I'll look into it. What is the easiest ORM / is it possible to implement parent/child dependencies between tables or databases using linked lists?

IE. I got a table and I want it to be a child of of a parent table.
If the parent table is a given class, can I contain a child table within a list of the class? Psuedo code:

class Person:

def __init__(self):
__tablename__ = 'person'
self.id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
name = Column(String)
self.pets = []

def pets(self):
if self.id == Pets().getId():
self.pets.append(Pets().getName())

class Pets:
def __init__(self):
__tablename__ = 'Pets'
self.id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
self.name = Column(String)

def getId(self):
return self.id

def getName(self):
return self.name

PostgreSQL

Also, side question, what language should I use for designing the front end? It's gonna be a desktop app.

her mackup... makes her look older when image is smaller... weird. saved anyway

>Emma Roberts will never destroy your life

Postgres is your only option

I don't see how this fixes his issue

I like mongodb. It's document-based, not relational like *sql, which could be better or worse depending on what you're trying to make, but it has solid Python bindings and is generally fairly efficient.

probably some childhood trauma

is this a joke?

>Been programming in strictly python for about a 2 years.

kys

t.guy with no job

>python
>"job"

mysql and sqlite are the only sane choices unless you already have experience with both or strong experience of another SQL-like database - except for plain old (config) files if your application doesnt have a complex model.
between mysql and sqlite you usually dont have a choice as your application requires the features of one or the other:
>sqlite
is purely file (or memory-file)-based, which makes it easy to handle (back-up is just a file copy, access rights are determined by the file system/OS, read/write speed is deterministic, etc)
however, since the database is stored in a file, getting multiple applications or even people to work on the same database simultaneously is very complex and error prone. also, obviously, you can only work locally unless the file is stored on a network-filesystem-device, which will usually kill performance.
the strongest point of sqlite is that it doesnt require a server, you ship your application with all code necessary (linking libsqlite), and there are sqlite libraries for 99% of all prog. languages.
>mysql
is run as a service, on a server. you cant really ship a local mysql server with your application, so you will need a server to host, and your client application will always network access. also its more complex to set up.

Depends on what you need it for. If you need heavy lifting, use Postgres. If you need something simple to hold configuration data/etc for the application, use sqlite. If you're a faggot you can use mogodb or some other web development abortion.

You guys realize she's crazy and beats her husband, right?

i mainly design and implement machine learning algorithms for a bioinformatics research group. fuck yall.

SQLAlchemy is *the* most powerful ORM I have worked with (not just Python) - it allows you to either work with objects or using their Expression API to write almost raw SQL. Also, it supports all the popular RDBMS.

I've used MySQL for a little over a year when I was in college. I've more or less finished the database in MySQL already. I'm just hoping to use python to create dependencies and script events. I was thinking of making a GUI in python wish TkInter, but I might try out Scala. Thanks for the feedback friends.

"efficiency" and ORM are mutually exclusive for any non-trivial project using a properly normalized relational DB

I tried using SQLAlchemy a few times but it always seemed like an overkill due to how complicated the definitions are.
There's also a number of ways to define the same relationships.

I just want to store objects.

Hot.

what? sqlalchemy plus the backend of your choice? Postresql maybe?

>Fuck off back

the fuck did you just say?

Submit to her will

I would let her beat the shit out of me anytime and anywhere.

I would. Holy fuck I would so much.

What's your actual complaint? That mysql is tough to build or interact with through python db-driver?

If its the first why not use a mysql manager / gui to build the db?