What happened, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meme
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not filtering meme, gentoo, cuck, jewgle etc

it's a meme

>What happened
People trying to learn what words mean by only looking at the context and nothing else, THAT's what happend.

le epic maymay xDDDDD

i don't really see a problem 2bh. they're just discussion threads where the op is a quirk

Sup Forums became the tech-support/review board. You also forgot "redpill me on X."

Might as well stop coming here if you're going to filter more than half of Sup Forums and often filters hide good threads because the words used in the filter are common.

I'm currently using the exact same mouse. I don't use it intensively but for casual use it's pretty non offensive.

I once read the book where the term "meme" was first coined

nobody uses it right. calling internet jokes memes is about the closest I've ever seen anybody come

The meaning is actually very interesting, fairly abstract. Its supposed to be a tiny element of human culture that is transmittable, and evolves through transmission.
Its like the cultural version of a gene, as in genetics

The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins.
in case anybody is interested. great book btw

actually the concept of a meme is an element of human culture that evopved so now anything can be a meme if you feel like it desu.

Everyone knows that's the book from which the word comes. Humble yourself.

People nowadays, especially Americans, have trouble expressing themselves because they grew up with 140 character twitter posts, two minute YouTube videos, 7 second vines, image macros, etc.

lol, humble myself
wtf are you on

I'm pretty sure not everybody knows the term "meme" came from a book, much less a book written in the 70's.
This whole thread kinda proves that

If you think somehow I'm trying to sound impressive because I read a book, you're fucking stupid as shit. I'm just saying its a good book, worth a read. Considering how few young people read books anymore, I think Its a fair suggestion

The Only thread I see as fucking stupid is the PTG thread. It's the only place were they can feel superior about being apart of a private tracker. I mean I was apart of What and Waffles AB and waiting for my BTN invite but, that shit is pointless. People in real life don't give a fuck about that shit especially if you try and brag about it. Just makes you look more of "Geek" (For some reason I hate that word).

The real question is, who was in the wrong ?

I learnt about memes from Metal Gear Solid 2 (never mentions the word) and the word from Metal Gear Rising. MGR actually mentions that specific book.

MGS2 actually supposits that the digital age will weaken cultural progress.

you really need to bring your level of condescension down a bit, its getting kind of arrogant in here

You really need to grow a pair.

Calling memes a meme is a meme tho

I'm pretty sure the majority of people know the term 'meme' came from a book.

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meme

It's also the first sentence of the fourth paragraph of the wiki page:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

So one does not need to read Dawkins' book from the 70s to know the word came from it. They can find out from a dictionary or Wikipedia.

You over-estimate normals; there isn't a situation in which they would do either of those things.

reddit arrived, unclear about the situation:
>is %s a meme?

how we counteract the meme inceptions? This can get out of hand very kick
>how we counteract the meme inceptions? This can get out of hand very kick

Stupid people from reddit try to fit in and synonymize "meme" with "exaggerated quality".

Have you ever seen a good thread or post with meme, cuck, or gentoo in it?

Do filters work only on the OP's string?

>implying any teenager ever looked up "meme" in dictionary or encyclopedias
in fact even young and old adults, public figures and etc are usign the word outside the internet as a synonym for "internet funny things"

the first blogger who thought to calling some image macros he might have create by meme is the one who should humble himself, and kill him self while at it.

are threads asking about meme threads a meme?

Is living a meme?
>tfw fallen for the self-sustaining pattern meme

haha so ignorant xd

Filter "a meme" and apply to only Sup Forums

>"maymay"
kill yourself

No

Yup. It's just like how Trump supporters hate that the media calls the alt right supremacists even though that's the actual definition of alt right.

Everything is a meme. The correct way to phrase the question is

>What is Sup Forums's opinion on X

Typically, you'd get "meme" as a reply. Ignore it and continue reading. You should have filtered it in the first place.

Yes, X is a meme. Use wayland masterrace in 2k16.

That's what you FUCKING get for calling everything a meme.