/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

Specs lookup tool from type number:
tp.krelay.de/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

x220.mcdonnelltech.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for X230

T460 or T460s?

I'd get a T450s but they cost as much as a T460/s.

Worth waiting for T470/s or will they just get progressively worse?

Hi anons I asked you before but I have got one more question: I have only integrated graphics in my T420 so should I do anything special to get egpu working? (like downgrading BIOS, I use 1.48) and can you post your specs and some information about game (how they run or something like this)

>trackpoint isn't on her crotch
ONE FUCKIN GJOB

I work as a computer technician for a small refurbishing company. We only work with business laptops and computers.

Lenovo Thinkpads are incredible to work with, very nicely built and can stand the test of time (We still have working T41's, back when they were IBM and not Lenovo.)

I have a T430 for myself with a 250 GB SSD. Thing runs like a dream still.

If you care size T460s is much nicer than plain T460.

You can still access M.2, single DIMM slot, mini PCIe and batteries if you remove the T460s back cover.

I bought this for 650$
>Samsung NT900X3Q
>i5-5200u
>8GB RAM
>3200*1800 QHD display
you lads think this is a good purchase?

im a motion designer and need a lot of power, i had a mac but it gave up on me in a very rude way and i feel betrayed.

can a thinkpad replace a macbook pro?

>Get T420 for my sister for 149 bucks
>It came with the 1600x900 monitor and 9 cell battery
>Also it is fucking mint
Fucking bullshit. I got mine for 189 and it has the crappy resolution one. It also has scratches and a 6 cell battery.

Should I reapply my thermal paste?
would it make my x201 run cooler?

Redpill me on the x130e
Why is it so memed for a netbook?

Yes/Yes

You'll have to take the motherboard out but it's well worth it. Especially if it's still running with original paste.

Swap them. I doubt she will notice.

sound's risky

>plug in GPU
>install drivers
>play your stupid gaymes
Where's the difficulty?

It's about compatibility on some devices with specific specification. So if someone have this product and have got any problem with it he can help other people with it.

I'm in Canada and I'm looking for a new laptop for college, it will be used exclusively for hammering out lots and lots of essays and reports, mainly Politics and Economics type stuff, so multiple Office Word files, Excel files and PowerPoint, plus 2-3 Chrome windows with lots of tabs.

My budget is about $1500 CAD, or $1150 USD ish.

I am looking for a 15.6 screen, 1080p, and a full size keyboard with the numeric keypad would be nice, but it is not explicitly required.

I have looked into the Lenovo Thinkpad T460/S/P/560, and the Ideapad 700's. I was wondering if any of these would be fine, and what sort of specs should I be aiming for?

I would prefer something with an i5, and 8gb of RAM at minimum, don't have a need for dedicated graphics, so something thin and light is probably possible.

Wanted to know which of the Lenovo's you guys would recommend for my uses.

>he wants to waste 1500 shekels to write essays and reports
why reddit is so retarded?

Thanks.

Which Thinkpad works best for OS X with the least ktext bullshit

Its too late for that pham.

Dude just get a t420/x220
Fucking retard.

x220.mcdonnelltech.com/

i did that recently, is there an approved /g way of doing it ?
i also bent a little the heatpipe arm for the quadro, i think it helped and now makes better contact.

Need help here, I saved up around 700 euros for a Thinkpad and I originally wanted to buy a used t450 or smth, but my parents veto-ed my purchase because "you can't trust used electroncis" so I am stuck to buying a new one . What are my options, I live in Serbia(laptops are 2x the price in stores since there are no official lenovo suppliers) and I have some family in Swiss that is coming for the holidays after New Year. Can I get a decent laptop for 700e ?

T43 caveman here, is there any way to force my system to utilize more than 2GB of RAM because i'm being offered a crapload of DDR2 sticks for peanuts

What Laptop are u can advice me? It should run lol with about 60 fps but also comfy to work and not so expensive

Forgot to add : I am currently studying computer sciences and engineering => lots of programming/numerical simulations/Matlab ...

mng and you want to study Politics and Economics
do you want to take the laptop to school ? if yes dont take a 15.6 for bulshit like that get a smaler one like mentioned x220/T430 or similiar and get a desktop for hostel or wherever you gona stay the 15,6 laptops are big and heavy(if you buy a random one) for evri day cary, or get a dock station

HAPPENING FOLKS!!!!

TRUMP MAKING IBM GREAT AGAIN

MIBMGA!!!

HES BRINGING BACK THE OLD KEYBOARD LAYOUT FOR THE NEW THINKPADS!!!

PRAISE THE GOD EMPEROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why can't you tell your parents to go fuck themselves and spend your money the way you want to? Are they unaware of your powerlevel or does it not exist?

>announcing things that would have happened anyway under the political umbrella
please tell me you're not delusional enough to actually believe this was a decision IBM made after a political influence

jesus /tpg/ i got a really terrible dream
i'm using stock T420 and waiting for parts(caddy cpu) for 2 week 10 minutes ago i dreamed about received 2720 CPU From taxi and replace, but forgot how to reassemble
then i wake up and listend MY T420's beep
and nothing happened and turnd T420 and shitposting on here

fuck when my parts will come? am i chinked?

Hey. I m thinking about getting x230 and want to use egpu occasionally, which slot is better, expressport or mpcie ?and which gpu should I get, if I doesnt want overkill for such a setup.
Thanks

how much would it cost to build a t601IF in the uk?

i'm also waiting on my HDD caddy, I think I bought it from the same ebay shop you bought yours from...
20th is the last day it's expected to arrive so I wake up every day thinking it'll come but it hasn't yet ;;

i bought it aliexpress as guest my T420 is really crappy and slow will my t420 be decent in future..

i'm using a stock one and it's silky smooth although I still can't figure out how to get rid of screen tearing
I installed a bit of bloat on it and it's still smooth but when I get an ssd i'm gonna wipe it and just put i3 and arch on it and leave it

expresscard will be easier to swap and there's been talk about recent nvidia drivers not playing well with mpcie (express isn't affected)

cards like the 750/950/1050 seem to be a good balance between price and enough power that's not totally wasted by bandwidth limitations. a slot-powered card will keep things a little more tidy on the desk and your psu can be smaller. i use a dell da-2 psu, which is overkill for my 750ti, but i trust the 8-pin more than the standard barrel connector, and it looks a lot nicer than an atx psu

i'd like to see the price for the low profile msi 1050ti when it's readily available. one of those paired with an exp gdc beast v8 would be a damn small egpu setup, almost portable!

i think that's really light OS
I'm using cuckdow and feel like dying

dont be stupid. ibm would never bring the old keyboard back if trump wasn't elected. thats just a fact. winners win.

what are you blabbing about?

Why is the T420 recommended over the T430? Don't tell me it's just because of the keyboard.

Is it a good idea to replace my desktop gaming pc (dont really play games anymore) for a specced out T430 with dock and egpu (in case i want to play games in the future)?
Has anyone else sold their desktop and bought a laptop instead?

Thinkpad elitist consider T430 to be a piece of shit because of the keyboard simple as that, I just got a T430 for 200 bucks and am really happy with it.

trump convincing ibm to invest 1billion in new older style keypads

Thanks user (t420 here) where you keep your GPU? (I can't found any good solution for this problem)

wrong post

why do you need windows?

Source?
IBM is no longer a hardware company besides specialized items. It stopped making general enterprise hardware years ago

You probably would've benefited more from adding an SSD than upgrading to a quad core if your system was feeling sluggish overall. Outside of highly demanding multithreaded workloads, there shouldn't be anything that really taxes a dual core i5. But a spinning rust drive can make even the simplest tasks take ages.

and whatabout those two options while using it with internal display ? i want that little beast for occasional lan parties, and if id have to take monitor, i can already take whole desktop

but thanks, really appreciated your answer

because people in this country don't know how to use linux and so do i
and most program that i use run in to windows..

i refuse to believe south koreans don't know how to use linux

>X230
>EXP GDC Beast v8 ExpressCard
>GTX 750 Ti
>Ubuntu 16.04

Using the internal display with eGPU results in massive tearing and somewhat lower performance. I've read that cutting edge drivers and X.org reduce tearing but haven't tried it. Might work better with Windows.

You might get away with borrowing some of your friends' second display.

god damn, I'm still kicking myself.
Saw an X220 for 40$ yesterday with decent specs too i5 3rd gen and so on. It was up for no less than 15 minutes... I think I'm gonna write a script to alert me if this happens again... :(

i spent like 20 minutes fucking with the positioning of everything on my desk before i was happy. the da-2 psu helped a lot because its got a nice long wire to the brick, which stays on the floor. gpu is on the desk behind monitor and thinkpad. the PE4C v3 has a very short and thick cable that's soldered on, so a lot of my positioning was to keep tension off it. the exp gdc cable is a few inches longer and a lot more flexible, so it should be a lot easier to work with. there's been some discussion over which adapter has more reliable data transfer based on the quality of their cable connections, but that's beyond my knowledge.

nvidia cards and their optimus feature are the way to go if you want to use the internal screen. of course there's a dip in performance vs using an external screen off the gpu itself. my experience with the 750ti and overwatch with high gfx settings: internal screen, 40ish fps, so i locked it to 30. external screen, 60 fps

Get a T450 or any older gen Thinkpad and tell em it's new.

Do you guys think that the retro thinkpads will actually be revealed on the 25th anniversary?

so internal display with egpu is no-go.

then I may end up with portable screen, i have some old 14" msi laptop with fryed mobo somewhere at home. I will buy controller for that display, and hopefully i can power that screen with psu used for egpu.

The whole point is to pack whole lan equipment in one backpack. So I can take taxi.

no
pr stunt

even if they do they will be
>expensive
>not widely adopted by enterprise therefore obscure in user community

What is the most one should pay for a X230i?

Any specific things I should check for?

There's one currently for 200$ but I think I can get it down to 150$ (with an Ultra Dock 3)

Would this be a good deal?

got this one and am also bidding on a t61 tablet version + a dock

how'd I do? I already have a desktop and needed something to hack on in class

>t61 tablet
x61*

hey guys, bought a chromebook for school with a celeron processor and needless to say its shit even with Chrome OS. Got it for 100 freedom bucks which honestly feels like a waste since I', sure you can get a cheaper thinkpad, elitebook, or latitude with vastly superior specs for cheaper. Anything you guys recommend? My only experience with Thinkpad is a T420 which to be honest I didn't really like. It was too big and the trackpad was absolute shit

>lol using the trackpad

Yeah I get it, but come on if I'm trying to find the most practical form factor I'd like to at least not have to carry a mouse around. Anything smaller than a 420 with a decent trackpad?

blis helpe me frens

gonna build a frankenpad?

that's one idea I have, yeah

good luck building one in 2016
parts are expensive and the individual laptops are hard to find like a flexview t60p and a 4:3 t61

Bump for this

yeahhh I noticed when trying to buy the machines themselves
but I'm gonna try scrounging around town for parts first, there's a decent local community

could always try thinkpad forums as well

x250 in yurop for 500 murribucks that looks like new with fhd ips screen, 256gb ssd 8gb ram and a laptop bag werth?

Lenovo makes the W and P workstation series
Even the low end p50 would blow away a macbook pro
For about 3 grand you can get a machine with decent desktop workstation tier specs.

for what purpose

I know what I need it for breh. I'm an EE student. Mainly want that sweet sweet FHD screen. I'm merely asking whether that price is more or less right. Though it might be the one without internal 3 cell battery, and then it'd suck because only external 3 cell and I wouldn't get it anyways : ^)

Well, I'mma see. If this one doesn't do it, I'll get a x270 or t470 as soon as projektneptun offers them. I have nuff muneh anyways : ^) just found that one randomly

x240 vs t430? They are rougly the same price, t430 comes with an ssd and 4Gb of ram, x240 with $gb of ram and a spinny, and the screen is the HD one. x240 is tempting because it's super light, and I'll be taking the computer to university everyday. Is the i5 in the x240 enough for normal usage (writing code, web browsing, watching muh anime)?

Anyone know how to clear cosmetic scratches off the rubber lid of old ibm thinkpads?

x220 never came with a 3rd gen i5...

avoid the x230i they come with the lowest end cpus.

What do you guys think of slice batteries for the x220? I'm thinking of getting one but I wanted to know if they are a meme.

thank you.

RAM limitations are typically based on the chipset and CPU. You might be able to change the CPU to support more RAM, but the chipset has to support it.

84rd for t430s best top

>From taxi and replace, but forgot how to reassemble

Download the hardware maintenance manual you mong.

friend is upgrading to a T460, and hes offering me his T420s for about 115USD.

No ssd, no ultrabay battery, he claims 2 hour battery life

Is it worth it for that price?
From what Ive googled I can still upgrade to a SSD but not a 9cell battery since the battery is in the front of the laptop.

I currently have an xps13, but i feel like this is still a solid deal...thoughts?

I was looking for a cheap Laptop so į could install Linux and work with web development. Any comments? Its still not too late to cancel the purchase, i paid 340 euros for it

whats your current setup for development?

I think you over paid a bit much especially if all you need it for is webdev.

The P50 is really mediocre. I need to sell mine before ebay prices tank.

I have solid build pc with gtx 1060 and all, but its a table pc, and since I am a student I needed a laptop for just work, no gaming, Also I am living in Europe so the Tech is kinda more expensive than in The USA market, i dont see a problem for paying a bit more if its a good stuff that Will not break atleast for 2-3 years.

i think its a fine deal then, seems perfect for working on the go.

internal GPU works fine; the previous poster's problem is trying to use linux. windows, where you'd actually be playing a game, has no problems.

How significant is the difference between i5-520m and i5-2520m? I'll be getting either x201 or x220 in the morning, but being poor yuropoorean student that 40$ price difference would make it easier to breathe during Christmas.

It's mainly for CS coursework, web browsing and occasional movie or some digital painting, I don't really play games.

>>>/global/rules/2

Can I watch anime and play melty blood on a thinkpad?

What''s the difference between the 50++ and 70++ batteries? Aren't they both nine cell? I have a 50++ and it is only getting about 4 hours of battery life, should I switch to a 70++?

Bought a T420s for me mum. 2.6 ghz, 8gb RAM, 128 SSD, 1600×900 for $185, did I do well or fuck up for not getting a regular T420? I hear the cpu is soldered on which kinda sucks.