/spg/ - Smartphone General - Cheap Honor 8 edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of fucking March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
LG G6 may come with water-proofing and wireless charging
gsmarena.com/lg_g6_may_come_with_waterproofing_and_wireless_charging-news-22002.php

Samsung Galaxy S8 to come with stereo speakers, possibly Harman-powered
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_to_come_with_stereo_speakers_possibly_harmanpowered-news-22001.php

Snapdragon 821-powered ZUK Edge leaked again in live image
phonearena.com/news/Snapdragon-821-powered-ZUK-Edge-leaked-again-in-live-image_id88636

Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime review
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_4_prime-review-1526.php

Nokia Lumia 520 boots Android 7.1 Nougat thanks to XDA dev
gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_520_boots_android_71_nougat_thanks_to_xda_dev-blog-22169.php

LG is Rumored to Unveil New K, X, and Stylus Series Phones at CES 2017
xda-developers.com/lg-is-rumored-to-unveil-new-k-x-and-stylus-series-phones-at-ces-2017/

Deal: The Honor 8 has received a $100 price cut for both the 32GB and 64GB models
amazon.com/Honor-Dual-Camera-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B01IVV7W6O/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1481740717&sr=1-2&keywords=honor 8

Old

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phones-Smartphones/Honor-GB-RAM-Dual-Camera-SIM-Free-Smartphone/B01KV3AY60/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743118&sr=1-1&keywords=honor 8
amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phones-Smartphones/Sony-Xperia-X-UK-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/B01ECV0Y58/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743136&sr=1-1&keywords=xperia x
amazon.co.uk/d/v8h/LG-Electronics-Nexus-5X-SIM-Free-Android-Smartphone/B016B7INC2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743168&sr=1-5&keywords=nexus 6p
amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phones-Smartphones/Motorola-Moto-G4-16GB-SIM-Free-Black/B01GZZK9XQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743358&sr=1-1&keywords=moto g4
amazon.de/Samsung-Smartphone-Touch-Display-Europäische-SIM-Karte/dp/B00TX5OC5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481743688&sr=8-2&keywords=galaxy s6
amazon.de/Sony-Smartphone-Touch-Display-interner-Speicher/dp/B01BU2956Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743568&sr=1-1&keywords=xperia x
amazon.de/Smartphone-Touch-Display-interner-Speicher-Android/dp/B015Y5398A/ref=sr_1_4?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743770&sr=1-4&keywords=nexus 5x
nl.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161214112721&SearchText=zuk z2
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_563922.html?wid=21
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_6x_(2016)-8388.php
amazon.com/Honor-Dual-Camera-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B01IVV7W6O
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.9-Staging-Pull
zukfans.eu/community/forums/official-z2plus-zui-rom-releases.14/
zukfans.eu/community/forums/custom-z2plus-rom-releases.16/
zukfans.eu/community/threads/zr-team-cyanogenmod14-android-n-z2.1399/
zukfans.eu/community/threads/rom-20160723-resurrection-remix-v5-7-1.116/
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/bootloader
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looking for decent phone in uk up to £300 preferably 5.5" and up to date on updates (android 6+)

where would one find a root for xperia z2 6.0.1 d6503?

Oneplus 3

>german caliphate
>max 400 mohammed(pbuh)bucks
>max 5 inches

Hard to find something that matches your needs at this price point. Here are some good phones.
amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phones-Smartphones/Honor-GB-RAM-Dual-Camera-SIM-Free-Smartphone/B01KV3AY60/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743118&sr=1-1&keywords=honor 8

amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phones-Smartphones/Sony-Xperia-X-UK-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/B01ECV0Y58/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743136&sr=1-1&keywords=xperia x

amazon.co.uk/d/v8h/LG-Electronics-Nexus-5X-SIM-Free-Android-Smartphone/B016B7INC2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743168&sr=1-5&keywords=nexus 6p
Shit battery life though

amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phones-Smartphones/Motorola-Moto-G4-16GB-SIM-Free-Black/B01GZZK9XQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743358&sr=1-1&keywords=moto g4

amazon.de/Samsung-Smartphone-Touch-Display-Europäische-SIM-Karte/dp/B00TX5OC5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481743688&sr=8-2&keywords=galaxy s6

amazon.de/Sony-Smartphone-Touch-Display-interner-Speicher/dp/B01BU2956Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743568&sr=1-1&keywords=xperia x

amazon.de/Smartphone-Touch-Display-interner-Speicher-Android/dp/B015Y5398A/ref=sr_1_4?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1481743770&sr=1-4&keywords=nexus 5x

nl.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161214112721&SearchText=zuk z2

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_563922.html?wid=21

How's CM14.1 at this point boys? Daily driver yet?

>posting the old version

>You tell me :)
Seriously tho, for what phone? For redmeme? It's far from stable desu.

snapdragon 616 or 430? I dont know shit about phone cpu. How much of a difference is there?

SD430 has a newer GPU.
They are both low end though.

isnt the Honor 5x really sluggish ?

There's a 6X out already he should replace it on the chart.

gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_6x_(2016)-8388.php

The Honor 8 honestly looks pretty good for the price. I see a few brand new ones on Swappa for less than $300. I'm concerned about the name. Honor... 8? Were there really 8 of these things? How have I never heard of them?

It's $299 on Amazon new.
amazon.com/Honor-Dual-Camera-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B01IVV7W6O

Honor is just a brand from Huawei.

I don't really like and trust chink companies, but I'm impressed with that honor 8. Is it really good ? Is there any not-chink phone close to the honor 8 for that price range (

I sure hope everyone here is already on Security Patch Level December 5. 2016! Also
>2016/12
>Not using the best non-google Android flavor

My Moto G Titan can't run Snapchat anymore. Everything slows to a crawl and messages disappear. I know it's poorly optimized for Android but fuck, I guess 1GB RAM doesn't cut it anymore.

RessurrectionRemix is the answers for your problems

Time for a new phone.

Best thing you can get for $300.

To the user that asked about the robin battery life:

>this thing looked really nice, but the battery being that small concerned me. Hows the battery life for you user?

Decent, but I don't use my phone too much during the day. Approx. 2 days from full charge, but I typically recharge every night. Primary use is typically screen, playing songs held locally, and camera. I usually don't stream any video or music.

Riddle me this:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.9-Staging-Pull
Google's project Ara is supposedly scrapped, but Greybus, the thing that would make Ara work, still got into Linux kernel.
And GregKH says that Motorola will use that shit.
Does that mean that we will get to see Ara-like project after all?
Because that makes me hyped for optional physical keyboard.
I'm still on HTC Desire Z because of it, because hipsters and homos took that option away from me by wanting thin phones instead of functional phones.

Xiaomi just approved unlocking my device. There's no time limit on that, right?

nope. you need dev rom to unlock.

>tfw $600+, no ios, touchwiz, big screen.

Sup Forums I need your help, what's the most budget phone that is still usable and doesn't shit itself alter a year? 150-180$ max. Am I asking too much for the price?

Any update on the Mi5C?

I'm looking forward to being impressed.

Bootloop V20

this question gets asked 15 times every thread and the answer is always the same moto g recommendation

Could anyone upload the 12/07 build of CM14 for osprey? Later versions are literally unusable and I stupidly updated without making any backup.

Dropped my OPO. What phone should I get now. Needs to work well with TMobile. I'm not a gaymer I just use email and firefox.

Can I flash the India ROM on the Chinese version of the Zuk Z2?

yeah
zukfans.eu/community/forums/official-z2plus-zui-rom-releases.14/

Leaf (Canadian) here. Looking for a phone with good battery and a decent processor for less than 300 CAD. Much obliged.

Quite stable on my Redmeme 3 (the one with 5" screen). It's smooth as fuck and everything works my phamalam.

Any reason there's no mention's of Oppo's phones? They don't seem too bad?

Because Zuk

Should I buy s7 edge for 900 unlocked, Canada fag here, 820 before tax

no

You forgot to add "sent using tapatalk from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Z2"

>root phone
>install xposed
>"google services stopped working" spam intensifies
>try all methods I can find but none work
>decide to perform a factory reset
>seems to work fine
>reboot phone
>get to initial configuration
>select language
>set up wifi
>stuck on checking connection
>try both with and without sim
>won't fucking get past checking connection (I don't know what connection it's checking but I guess to google so I can set up my account next)

You are my only hope now Sup Forums

Will flashing stock ROM save the day?

finally got my miUnlock permissions, and im tempted to install CM, but I kinda like MIUI too, and i've heard xiaomi.eu roms are actually good... ?

sorry for the name, redmi note 3 pro that is

>LG
>Stock android

Kill yourself.

Legendary Nexus 5 here.

Is there a 5"/5.2" max phone with at least 3GB/32GB with good custom rom support?

I don't expect something like the Nexus series, but it should at least be supported "unofficially" for a while and without too much hassle.

Mi5 is ok but I hear that dealing with MIUI is a pain and unlocking is not so easy.
Zuk Z2 doesn't seem to have much support for now.

I'd like a 5" OP3(T)...

Fuck off you lying shit.

Sure.

Got a Huawei GR5 for AUD$240 new.

Did I dun goof?

No OTA on xiaomi.eu

Just stick with the global rom unless you have to. all the other roms have some issues with fp and camera.

Nextbit Robin.

>renamed Honor 5x
Meh.

How is the UI on ZUK Z2?
Is there a stable version of Cyanogenmod for it?

My Note4 works fine but as soon as the battery level drops below 55% or something, DANGER MODE starts and at any given moment the battery can suddenly drop to 4% and if I don't find a charger it'll die pretty quick.
If I do heavy lifting like live stream, it can do the mega-drop at around 80%!

Is this a common problem?
Will the problem fix itself if I buy a new battery or do I have to change my charging port?

I bought redmi note 4. What case would you recommend that doesn't cover the fingerprint scanner?

Trash. there's RR which is similar.

Nillkin. also your should have bought the RN3P.

thanks will have it in mind :) I can stay with a decent/debloated version of xiaomi .eu and update from time to time manually, don't need every update, i'd rather have a working version.
i can feel the bloat on my 2/16gb version... i use it mainly for mails/IM, but still the app reload when changing is slightly irritating. On the other hand i can wait until rn4p comes and order it with more ram....

We know that's not your daily driver. Go shill on another forum pajeet.

Yeah shoulda bought the 3/32 ver. MiUI takes almost 900MB to itself idling.

It's not bad, but it takes some getting used to. It's much better than miui 2bh.

I don't own a zuk phone, but a workmate actually has the white and gold z2 pro. It's a pretty sweet phone imo. Still happy with my LG G3, but maybe next year might look at zuk z3 pro if they keep this up. Otherwise will probably just grab Samsung s8 edge.

Can you give a link please :)

To add to this, she was showing me how the home button works.
Apple should really take some hints, it's really creative and intuitive, especially when you want to multitask between 2 or 3 apps and you can just swipe to each one on the home button.

link for what kek

RR Rom for Zuk Z2

zukfans.eu/community/forums/custom-z2plus-rom-releases.16/

zukfans.eu/community/threads/zr-team-cyanogenmod14-android-n-z2.1399/

zukfans.eu/community/threads/rom-20160723-resurrection-remix-v5-7-1.116/

RMNP 3 is older and has worse features
Only advantage is the greater chance of third party ROMS, but I'm not a ricer. Once my RMN 4 gets out of date, I'll just throw it away and buy a new one. At these prices, they are pretty much disposable. Could buy a new one every 9 months and still end up spending less than buying a flagship every 3 years

Thanks

1st december here on MIUI chink stable.

How are other brands (except Google) with these patches? I don't think most manufacturers give a shit desu.

You mean cheaper yet better

Is it true that the zuk z2 stock rom kills your alarm clock and random apps for no reason. It has 4g of ram why the need to kill apps? Can that be fixed.
Its 170$ and am on the edge of getting it.

It doesn't do that lmao.
Check zukforums, if that was true you'd find a fuckload of complaints there and on xda.

It's miui that's over aggressive with power management and sometimes kills your alarm clock. Partly why cm13 is so popular for it.

It does. ignore the Z(C)uck shill. all chinaphones do that so you need to give them permissions in the battery manager.

Is Zuk Z2 the best budget phone on the market or are there better alternatives?
How is the actual user experience with this phone? Is it smooth or does the default UI make a shitty experience?

anyone ever used a lifeproof case? how are they.
I can get one for about 20 bucks atm

Yo anons, newbie here. I've currently got an iPhone 6 Plus and am looking for an upgrade. I want to try an android phone but I'm not entirely sold on it so any help would be appreciated. What benefits (no matter how obvious) do androids have over iOS? I'm looking at either a Oneplus3T or a pixel XL. Thanks in advance to any anons who bother to reply.

They do, they're just being deleted to hide it from prospective buyers.

Depends on your budget and taste.

What about the Xperia XZ?
How does that compare on your list?

>factory reset

Thats where you fucked up mang, before fucking around with your phone you always make a nandroid (ie system) backup of your phone and restore it if anything goes wrong, you need a custom recovery like twrp to do this however.

Well, it's too late now. Couldn't use qfil to flash stock rom, it failed at 99% or something with firehose error but I managed to put twrp on internal storage. Wasn't possible to boot in recovery mode but adb was working so I did adb shell then since twrp could be run in command line mode I was able to enable sideload and now I'm going to see if flashing cm is possible. If not, I guess I'll have to go and see Pajeet...

but i suppose .EU roms would be feelingly lighter than stock miui...

What are the advantages of a xiaomi.eu ROM anyway? No Chinese bloat and mostly comparable to cm in terms of privac?

i think you keep the goodies from miui, PRC Botnet removed, at what extent it's actually good... i dunno, but plan to find out

Hype me up for my new zuk z2 coming in the mail please. I'm coming from a shitty xperia z1 where the touchscreen didn't work half the time, and a galaxy s2 before that

holy fuck this thread and the idea of it is garbage.
fucking christ you consumerist retard dickhead fascists .

bought the x compact, long story short; above average phone with obligatory case for protection - scratchable plastic

.eu is MIUI on steroids and mostly debloated (though they keep some MIUI basic framework), but same as CyanogenMod they trigger the security check on some apps (banking, payments...) and games (dem pogaymons) even if they're unrooted.

I bought an axon 7 new for $320 on eBay. Was very very unhappy with it. The speakers weren't any louder or clearer than my other phone (oneplus one), the camera performed poorly in 95% of situations I put it in (mostly interested in HD video, slow motion video, and lower light stills). The software was so unbearable, so i put cm13 unofficial release for a2017. It was less buggy and more bearable in general but the speakers distorted on anything above half volume. This was my first phone with a fingerprint sensor so I have noting to compare, but it seemed fine. Also, bootloader unlocked warning message expended boot by 10+seconds, making it very slow. I wouldn't recommend it. Op3t instead for me, would recommend op3 regular for anyone on that budget.

Xiaomi Redmi Pro or ZUK Z2?

I frankly don't really care about banking apps since I don't use them. I'm happy if I can remove gapps so it won't have any spyware on it anymore.

I did it.

I just bought an s7e. First time upgrading from my Note II.

Zuk Z2.

overpriced and in general is worst than Z5 or Z3 flagships. Sony is going downhill since the whole X Performance shit they released.

isn't RR based on CM anyway.........

So what the correct procedure for unlocking rn3p ?
I have to flash the normal way global dev, and then unlock with the tool ?

RN3P is generally better.

Why there is no phone with 1 sim slot and 2 microSD slots, instead of 2 sim and 1 SD?

It was horrible on early builds, but it works fine on my Zenfone 2 laser now.

should i wait for boxing day or just buy the axon 7 now? i dont know what to expect or if theres going to be a sale that would push me to spend on the next price range

Note 5 and s7 edge have the same size screen. Who wrote this?

reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/bootloader