Does Sup Forums think there's any truth to the talk about social media platforms being addictive?

Does Sup Forums think there's any truth to the talk about social media platforms being addictive?

i wouldnt know, i dont use them

enjoy having your real info on the internet where any crazy cunt can use it against you

No.

Because everyone wants to escape reality.

>i dont use them

He says on Sup Forums.

This. Everyone has their own way of forgetting their real life. Some use social media while others install linux to rice their desktops in hopes of getting many internet points in desktop threads.

Sup Forums is a form of social media whether you like it or not senpai

Don't know but I'm sure pathetically addicted to Sup Forums.

I don't use them but the younger generations from the late 90s and up seem to be.
>Sup Forums
>social media
How to spot nu-males.

It's not social media but it's still social. You're discussing stuff with people at a slightly slower speed than a chatroom.

It's not hard to imagine people getting "addicted" to social media OP. As in spending more time on it than they should, not actual physical addiction to using it.

This. I'm getting addicted to the (You)'s

I've known people that seem to not be able to be away from facebook for longer than 5mins. That's addicted.

Spending all day in chatrooms, irc, Sup Forums, forums, games, or whatever is just basic internet. Used to be the only way to find people to play a game with was irc.

(You)s are pretty much retweets or likes for Sup Forums.

A lot of the studies connect the addiction to dopamine releases, so there is a "physical" aspect to it.

I don't see the difference between the two.

You're probably underage.

One has handles and is void of any real world contact. One is real world via the internet. That's the main defining feature of social media. Being able to connect with people in the real world.

Newfags confusing this is also what lead to Sup Forums going to shit and the mocking troll of "muh secret club".

>Spending all day in chatrooms, irc, Sup Forums, forums, games, or whatever is just basic internet.

Maybe if you're a NEET or an office worker with barely any workload.

Nearly 30 so you're wrong on that count. I figured you were going to pull the real identity versus internet identity but it's a meaningless distinction to make with the subject of this thread. Both can be equally addicting I'd say.

>real identity versus internet identity but it's a meaningless distinction
How?

Sites like newgrounds probably would had never happened if you had to use real names.Back then having anonymity was expected.

Of course not. I can close Sup Forums any time I want.

Sup Forums is social, in that you talk to people, but it's entirely impersonal, and you aren't expected to post anything about yourself, it's not the same as things like facebook

how the fuck do I block myself from Sup Forums

I can see this happening to tripfags addicted to the (you)s they get while baiting

Honestly, you ever been in a chatroom lately (IRC for example). Everyone idles and there is hours between responses. If anything Sup Forums is way faster then most modern chatrooms.

I haven't touched an irc client in years.

That's probably the issue. On Sup Forums, like most modern popular social media platforms, you're always waiting for the "next thing," and there will very likely be one. The "check phone every five minutes" isn't so different than hitting the update button continuously.

With slower, or at least more permanent, places like forums you can spend some time catching up, posting replies, then log off content in the knowledge that you can come back tomorrow and do the same again.

Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. all of them, along with Sup Forums, are set up in such a way that it's "worth it" to stick around and see what happens next.

I think some people get obsessive and depressed about it, but they are probably already unstable before that.

Addictive? Nope.

Stahp it... it hurts on my insides.

Yeah it can be addictive. Similar to weed it's a coping method that people sometimes abuse.

Addiction is not really a physical thing anymore. You could, for example, develop opiod dependency without having addiction. Unlikely though since opiods are pretty fantastic.

I think its people that just want to think they have more friends than they actually do.

>add only people you know
>which means 60+ friends
>normies mock you for not having friends
Why normies do this?

>What is Sup Forums?
Remember, you're here forever.

I think there is some credit to it. It's a lot of repeated dopamine And other hormones) spikes. Anything that does that can be addictive.

>Boy and girl come and sit at restaurant.
>Boy is playing with phone
>Girl is playing with phone
>Food comes, they eat with one hand, continue playing with phone with the other
>Finish eating, get up, walk away, still playing with phone

>Family comes to eat
>3 phones, 2 tablets
>Eat with one hand, play with phone with the other

>On train
>SILENCE OF DEATH
>Train is packed
>Everyone is playing with their phones

>People driving cars, playing with phones
>People driving motorbikes... playing with phones
>People pushing prams, playing with phones
>People at work, playing with phones

Addictive? Nah! You are just old and grumpy.

download google chrome
install ethical ad blocker

>tfw 60 facebook friends

(Me)
Generally, the point at which a habit becomes an addiction is when the habit starts causing more and more negative consequences. In this scenario, these could manifest as losing time being productive or social in preference of social media, general unhappiness when not "connected," gaining weight due to prolonged inactivity from being on social media, etc.

Also, I have observed the typical behaviour of these people.

1- Check facebook
2- Check twitter
3- Check whatsapp
4- Check viber
5- Check wechat
6- Check line
7- Check facebook again!
8- Check twitter again!
etc etc

It is terrible. The thing is, by the time they finish a full "cycle", they already have new things to check out from the apps in the start of the cycle, giving them a neverending incentive to keep repeating.

Many years ago I was using my country's equivalent of facebook, before facebook took over. Then I got bored of it and never had any social media account again.
>first day on new work
>talking with random dude
>"yea nice to meet you dude"
>..."but I couldn't find your facebook profile"
mission accomplished

>(You)'s aren't personal

Information and news and "happenings" are addictive, you only need to go to for proof of that.

Social media is pretty much 24h news and profiles mixed together by your "followers" into a barely coherent narrative.

>at uni
>dont have any social media
>only text the people i actually know and like to keep in touch
>never check my phone in public, its not like im missing anything important
>hope this will lead to making new friends at uni
>nope.jpg
>smile/greet people, sit next to strangers in class
>the moment i sit next to anyone they immediately dive for their phone/laptop and start fidgeting with it until the lecture begins
>every single time
>get sick of the anti social cunts at uni after about two semesters of trying to make friends this way
>fuck it
>sit by myself
>constantly on my phone in public
>only interact with strangers if i need/want something from them
>just little shit like "hey when did he say the test was?"
>suddenly people start treating me like im one of them
>not afraid to ask me little questions in return
>sit next to me
>etc

welp.
i guess the only thing left to do now is go out and get blackout drunk every weekend and ill have myself a pretty typical social life...

It's not addictive, so much as it is engaging.

I have been on Twitter more than Sup Forums in the past two years to meme it up with other faggots on anitwitter, and to meme Trump's presidency into reality.

Honestly, it's so weird to see how much time I spent on Twitter in the past two years. Back in 2009, I would have called you crazy if you said I would waste my time on Twitter in the future.

>tfw 24 friends and half of them are just courtesy

>F5's Sup Forums consistently

lol

This, too, is an addiction.

>turn on pc
>open facebook
>check news on side to see if any big shit happened
>scroll through news feed to see if any big shit happened locally
>see shit meme after shit meme
>sjw's complaining about everything possible
>one person in town (usually an sjw girl) will post a paragraph status about something like bullying or mental health thinking their a modern age philosopher
>all her YAAAS SLAY gfs comment shit like "omg PREACH girl" "say it sis!"
>whenever some decent issue gets hot I consider posting a status that I reckon I could word in a way that it would get a bit of good attention
>but what's the point, all I'd get is likes and feel like a faggot thinking his opinion hold more weight than everyone else's
>want to delete because it provides nothing for me and just makes me hate everything
>remember the only way I stay remotely socially active is by lurking group chats I'm a part of and message one group chat with couple good mates

>pretty much only hot, semi-slutty girls post pics on Instagram
>I haven't posted in over like 70 weeks because it's retarded
>like shit in hopes I might get a message
>realise I'm irrelevant if I don't post regulary, or at least once in awhile

>snapchat is kind of good because stories are mostly from close mates and are usually a laugh
>same hot sluts post raunchy stories and probably asking "someone to chat"
>tfw that's all they have to do to get a wide variety of lads to message them back obviously interested in a fuck

>without any of these networks I'd forget what normie life is like
>without it people would probably rarely text me unless they are occasionally like "I haven't seen/heard from user in awhile"

I'd probably end up doing something productive with my time but at the expense of losing an okay social life. It's pretty much just one of those things you have to do if you just want to be ''''normal'''' and not be seen as that one weird cunt not on social media

>Does Sup Forums think there's any truth to the talk about social media platforms being addictive?

I'm fucking here, aren't I? I hate this shithole.

I'm pretty addicted to social media in general. I've cut off Facebook years ago and also Tumblr, but still I often go on Twitter. Even if I close that, I'm on Sup Forums every day. Does IRC count? I'm on their daily as well. I'm mostly tired of video games and anime, but Internet socializing is an important part of my day now.

As addictive as anything else. Like listening to music, playing video games, reading, watching tv or movies

Anything can be addictive.

I don't understand things like Facebook. I tried it, but it was inane and I deleted my account. I suppose you can find friends that relate to you easily, but that's about it.

The foundation of Facebook and the people ruin it. The feed and the whole site is filled with things you don't want meant for clickbait and all that. No, you can't just get better friends, the whole thing is corrupted.

It's also stressful to a point. People expect you to add them and their relative, but then never talk to you or have a bunch of friends that you don't know just to have a high number. Furthermore, it's kind of expected that you're fake nice to people and always like their stuff. It's just a facade of people giving each other support so they get it back. It's meaningless. And probably dangerous for you.

That said, my parents use it all the time. And I don't get the appeal. They just scroll through the feed and then check messages.