The more experienced the engineer, the more he is likely to use vim/emacs

The more experienced the engineer, the more he is likely to use vim/emacs.
All the greatest software in the world has been written in emacs/vim.

That's because smart people are actually programming and being productive, not
being code monkeys who know how to press the autocomplete hot key.

Prove me wrong. Are you a code monkey, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2014/03/20/technology/personaltech/surviving-and-thriving-in-a-one-monitor-world.html?_r=0
youtube.com/watch?v=4hnnqgx_tjk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Note how he only uses 1 monitor, like Linus Torvalds and Terry Davis.

But the geeuuii tho

There needs to be a study of emac/vim users vs ide users to determine who's more productive once and for all.

is he daltonic? I refuse to believe he codes in red.

lcd are like gold

Smart people use gold and money to make passive profit

Less smart people just wear all gold shiny things and walk around

People who actually do something on pc focus on work, virgins neets that can not into programming need several screen like in shinny movies

I'm very productive with VsVim and ReSharper at work but at home I'm using just Vim.

>Note how he only uses 1 monitor, like Linus Torvalds and Terry Davis.
All the best programmers use a single monitor. It helps you focus. When you have multiple monitors, it's super-easy to lose focus.

>note how he can only afford 1 monitor, like Linus and Terry
ftfy

>afford
These guys(except Terry) can buy your life. Stay cucked, nigger

The more experienced the engineer, the less he wastes his time on a computer, leaving the software work for autistic virgin faggots, and the more he is focused on building complex mechanisms and hardware.

Additionally, the more experienced the engineer, the more capable he is of using the shittiest of tools with the shittiest quality of materials, to make something that's beyond the expected results that such tools and materials would usually be able to create.

The second monitor is for browsing the web.

>The second monitor is for browsing the web.
Exactly.... it's for wasting your time and losing the focus. That's why everyone who cares about being productive and getting shit done should ditch the second monitor and only have one.

I use second monitor for holding reference material and the shell so i can follow along manpages or other documentation. First monitor is usually a split text editor with main file im working in on the left side and headers/misc files on right side.

And if i ever have to do gui or web stuff then i get the visuals to go onto the second monitor when testing.

This, but my money is on turbo autism

>The more experienced the engineer, the more he is likely to use vim/emacs.

The more hipster the engineer, the more likely he is to use vim/emacs.

The whole "editor war" is tiresome. It boils down to people who have a little bit of IDE experience who, for some reason, decide IDEs are just drag-and-drop Duplo coding for retards.

These days, it all boils down to vim/emacs vs Visual Studio, maybe IntelliJ or Eclipse.

It's like everyone forgot about around two decades of innovation in code editing software. It's amazing how little actual experience the critics have in text/code editors overall.

Didn't Notch use dual monitors?
He's a billionaire now as well.

Some people have jobs and find a second monitor useful to display things like email, chat, DB explorers and reference materials.

And mentally ill. I blame the monitors.

>Some people have jobs and find a second monitor useful to display things like email, chat, DB explorers and reference materials.
aka many ways to waste your fucking time.

when you're programming or getting shit done, you need only one thing in front of you: your work.

you don't have to have chat/email open at all to do work. you can easily open email client/browser every hour or so to check what's up. no need to have it always drain your attention away from you.

just fucking get rid of the 2nd monitor.

nytimes.com/2014/03/20/technology/personaltech/surviving-and-thriving-in-a-one-monitor-world.html?_r=0

Yes goy, use (((vim))) and be sure to donate to nigger children in Uganda like a good betacuck.

Contrary to popular belief, humans are absolute shite at multitasking, it's been proven multiple times. One monitor is the way to go, and the top 0.1℅ of engineers know that.

Just remove the intro message, you lobotomized nigger. Nobody is forcing you to pay shit.

This, i have 3 monitors but turn off 2 when i'm working works fine.
3 monitors are usually for my spare time

Using one monitor would be fine, it's just there would be times when I'm Alt-Tabbing myself to death.

When working in team or production environment "doing you work" can often mean referencing system or framework documentation, along with requirements documents. Not to mention relevant info contained in colleague communications.

Maybe everything just pours out of your head into the editor but I'm telling you that's not how it works in the vast majority of cases.

I don't buy a 2nd monitor out of fear that this leads me to being less efficient in situations where I have only 1.
Switching virtual desktops only takes milliseconds and you can have as many of those as you want.

Virtual workspaces were created for this.
Try a gnu linux operating system with GNOME desktop environment..

Why emacs no has charity startup message like vim?

It depends. Game development is almost impossible on 1 monitor, especially when you need to test your game, and tune the parameters in the scripting language.

lol right.
But isn't the whole point of being productive to make as much money as possible by any means necessary?

I agree with this guy.
As a newbie I also find it a complete bitch to follow YT tutorials with just one monitor, but that's just me.

>vim
Fuck off

>watching tutorials
I found your problem

Personally i just use 2 monitors cause i like to have api documentation open on the second monitor - makes it faster than switching betweenn documentation and your IDE. It's pure luxury of course and not necessary but it helps especially when you have shitty memory.

What would you suggest, trial and error?
I have to start somewhere.

Idiot.

The life of a techie is one of constant learning. That may include Youtube (or some paid video learning series).

>Prove me wrong.

Sure. If you're a real programmer, then the limiting factor for your productivity is not the speed at which you can edit text, since 90% of the time you'll be thinking and planning your code and only about 10% actually coding.

Vim/Emacs should only massively increase your productivity if you're a code monkey who spends a majority of the time mindlessly writing code.

>emacs+evil is pretty comfy though, get fucked IDE cucks

>not even a programmer and use VIM over GUI bullshit

But it definitely doesn't help if you're using a standard keyboard.

If you watch YT tutorials you'll lack a lot of base knowledge on the subject and also absorb all of the bad practices from the NEETs who actually have time to make YouTube tutorials.

Do yourself a favor and get a decent book, learn from actual established programmers who have proof of mastery on the subject and years of experience, not from some random unemployed tutorial maker pajeet.

Yea keep watching those videos man someday you'll get there, you learn by doing it and if you write it down properly you usually don't have to relearn everything.
YouTube just distracts people, go get a class to watch individually a YouTube video and report back what they saw it will be lots of distraction during this test

this /thread

Alan Turing did not need a computer at all.

He was also a raging faggot.

what's wrong with pajeet tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=4hnnqgx_tjk

i cant understand what he is saying.

Borland C/C++ gives me flashbacks
I learned C with it in the early 1990s.
Glorious 80x25 text on a 14" CRT.
Sometimes I switched to 80x50 but it was too painful in the long term.

99% of programmers are code monkeys. We'll all be replaced by AI soon enough.

I thought the second monitor was for stack overflow.

Or maybe they could fucking deal with it for productivity like a sensible adult would.

well there is that

>The more experienced the engineer, the more he is likely to use vim/emacs.
Yeah, that is because experienced means he started when those were the common choices.
There is literally no reason to not use something else nowadays.

It's like you haven't been on YouTube since 2006. Your participation is fascinating.

poor terry he deserves so much more
at least he has Jesus

I use vim exclusively at my job, but that's because I fucked up my setup, so I can only ssh into my devbox through putty.

I would say a good engineer can code anything in vim, except java.

Java development is completely untenable without an IDE, code completion, telling me when a function throws an exception, etc. The verbosity and its host of rules make it impossible to get anything done without at least eclim, which I can't install due to other reasons.

Good thing I'm a shitty dev who spends most of his time coding in python.

>daltonic
Romance language speaker detected. We don't say "daltonic", we say colorblind.

But I have to use VS or my code won't compile