Why the FUCK did the GNOME devs find this shit at all remotely acceptable?

why the FUCK did the GNOME devs find this shit at all remotely acceptable?
>Ugly as shit gray bar on the top of the window
>really bad rounded angles on the corners
>the buttons are absolute crap
>GTK Themes have zero effect on the look of it

Is this why people complain and move to QT?
Is it just THAT much fucking better?

>tfw QT has great animation support and QML Material adds material design goodness
>KDE is literally better than any DE in the market
>GTK was made by a GNU side project called GNOME (GUH-NO-MUH)
>Every distro is using this garbage instead of QT

Why is this acceptable.

Other urls found in this thread:

danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html
github.com/felipec/notmuch-vim
danielchoi.com/software/vnews.html
vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/options.html#'mouse'
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kde is bloat central

But you aren't denying GTK is worse than QT right?

KDE is fine. Kde applicattions, kwin, frameworks.

Plasma is not, it needs to die and be replaced. KDE 4.0 was the biggest fail in the history of KDE thanks to plasma.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

THANK YOU OP

at least someone recognizes it. Gnome3 window borders are top trash. The panel is pretty shit uncustomizable as well. Only thing that's good is the stability and activities spread view

shut the fuck up you retarded nazi nigger. stop using that as an excuse to ban all criticism of your DE and go back to reading mein kampf while hacking together glitchy gnome shell extensions in javascript

QT is also bloated as fuck even to develop with

Would you rather a bloated development with a beautiful output or the worst possible designed GUI POSSIBLE with an XML based development stylen with shitty default icons and barely any way to achieve an at all creative or different design along with it conforming to GNOME 3 ass design standards? The answer is clear, either CLI or QT

I'm 12 years old and what is this

lmao, strong misinterpretation bud. I don't like it, hence why I don't use it. Maybe use xfce instead

I dont understand how we go from gnome 2 to this shit. Even if it looked half decent I still wouldnt use it because of the wasted space. Its fucking crazy how much space is wasted by these big ass fuck toolbars.

I like qt because I can run open source stuff on windows with it

I am on Xfce but I reserve my right to bitch about how fucking bad Gnome 3 is and call its users nazis who read mein kampf on Sup Forums

Well, Plasma on KDE5 is fine, I guess. I don't have much to complain.

Well, themed GNOME 3 can look pretty good, but yeah, default GNOME 3 is just terrible-looking. It needs a lot of extensions to become barely usable.

It's not bloat, they are features

Reminder macOS has the most consistent and beautiful UI of any OS.

install Cinnamon and be done with it. all the best themes work with it and it's the only sane version of GNOME. GNOME3 is retarded.

wish I could hackintosh this computer of mine...

Same, I use XFCE, runs quit fine.
Its not the best looking, but beside that its fucking fabulous.
I usually install it instead of XFCE when people want a nice looking DE, works fine aswell. Just a bit more bloated, but still runs ok.

Fuck you, cuck.

>I dont understand how we go from gnome 2 to this shit. Even if it looked half decent I still wouldnt use it because of the wasted space. Its fucking crazy how much space is wasted by these big ass fuck toolbars.
MacOS X came up with unified toolbar for some of their windows (when it made sense for single-page apps) and GNOME devs saw that and said: "let's make this default for everything!"

GNOME devs are fucking shitheads.

Create a file gtk.css in your ~/.config/gtk-3.0 and add this.

headerbar {
min-height: 0px;
padding-top: 2px;
padding-bottom: 2px;
padding-right: 2px;
padding-left: 2px;
}

headerbar entry,
headerbar spinbutton,
headerbar button,
headerbar separator {
margin-top: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
}

.titlebar {
min-height: 0px;
}

It shrinks the titlebar to the minimum height that will still accommodate the standard button size. With the dark Adwaita theme, this looks great to me.

You can collapse the titlebar further and the buttons will adjust, but different applications will have differently sized toolbars.

obsessing over gui design is for faggots. human computer interaction research only matters in hardware and AI.

>MacOS X came up with unified toolbar for some of their windows (when it made sense for single-page apps) and GNOME devs saw that and said: "let's make this default for everything!"
>GNOME devs are fucking shitheads.

Basically this. Though some of the gnome apps actually look OK in dark mode with a sane theme when running inside xfce

To be honest the only OS to get title bars right was Unity and Mac OSX with its global menu bar.
Unity wins out though in effectiveness because the HUD is god tier.

>
>To be honest the only OS to get title bars right was Unity and Mac OSX with its global menu bar.
I disagree because the menu bar is annoying when you have two different applications side by side. Ubuntu does have a nice feature (that's off by default) that puts the menu in the title bar.

>I never developed a single project

Compared to what? MS Windows?
Not very likely.

> GNOME isn't bloated, compared to KDE with QT
This is an argument I can entertain. But I want some actual arguments backing it up.

Because if this is some neet-tier sperging out that it uses 268mb of ram instead of 220, fuck you, fuck your mother, and fuck your dog.

Is this why Canonical is moving to Qt?
Also, wasn't the XML thingie deprecated in favour of some retarded bullshit?

Well, they really stole the idea from Canonical, but Canonical's version is better.

> Create a textfile and add some code and it will be less shit.
That's an excuse. It should not be necessary to do anything to have it working decently. The only program I'm willing to spend time customizing is GNU Emacs. Because there it's obvious where to do so, how to do so, and help is always available.

If I had to use Fedora or some shit, I would appreciate the fuck out of your advice, mind you. But it shouldn't be necessary to make that file in the first place. Good defaults are very important for usability.

It's for people who have to use the computer. The less brainpower you need to divert to using the program, the more you can use for the thing you're trying to accomplish with the program. That's ironically why modern CLI is so fucking great.

GNOME is more bloat.
At least KDE shit is somewhat modular.
If you don't use systemd, suddenly no GNOME, ggwp

>the only OS to get title bars right was Unity and Mac OSX
Totally agree. I'm on Xfce now but Unity only has a few bugs to iron out and needs to be more customizable, it has its flaws but I think everyone should follow their lead. Love the vertical space saving title bar. Just wishing for a solution to that ugly dash, or make autohide work better.

GNOME developers are braindead morons, more news at 11?

GNOME/GTK is just trash

> posts fucking proprietary java ide

Why dont you post the GNOME IDE Builder? Because it is the vertical space-savingist IDE available and doesnt fit your narrative?

>GNOME is trash
>KDE is trash
>bare Qt (non-KDE) programs are generally decent

>Because it is the vertical space-savingist IDE available
hi what are vim and emacs

Why would you want to see more than 23 lines of code?

>why Canonical is moving to Qt?

Mobile convergence, it's literally the only reason. Gtk+3 is actually less "bloated" than Qt if you count the entire qt, the advantage with qt is it's flexibility and smaller footprint when used modularly.

Also since canonical is developing their own display server they need a justification other than "we want control" for dropping wayland

Good text editors.

I mean, gnu emacs can be turned into an IDE with enough packages but it isnt one in the default distribution. Vim isnt an IDE at all.

Also i think gtk emacs uses more verticality than gnome builder but i am not going to bother measuring it. Emacs is better than builder even if it costs 24 extra px vertically.

The only modern OS with a decent GUI is Chrome OS. It's beautiful, yet comfy as fuck.

Which is a fucking shame, because it's literally useless for anything but running a web browser.

>Vim isnt an IDE at all.
nice meme

tell em what feature your IDE has that vim doesn't

This is what it looks like when an IDE ACTUALLY follows the gnome3 HIG

with gtk3HeaderBar as a space saving element that grants extra 24px verticality to the program rather than taking any away.

Email client

Newsgroups

Point and click gooey

looks like a shittier version of vim

>Email client
danielchoi.com/software/vmail.html
github.com/felipec/notmuch-vim

>Newsgroups
danielchoi.com/software/vnews.html

>Point and click gooey
vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/options.html#'mouse'

>meme
>le returning from le reddit once again

>Is this why people complain and move to QT?
To prevent exposing yourself and a retard in the future, I suggest you look up the differences between GTK and GNOME.
Kill yourself.

>le bogey man meme
I have reddit blocked permanently (so I don't run the risk of accidentally being redirected there)

>le oldfag meme
>le saying that has blocked le reddit

> Prerequisites
> a Gmail account

Nice try, CIA niggers.

Maybe ten years ago. Not now

I actually wanted to make a more customisable(so all the gnome derived DE's would not be needed) QT port of mate, but i'm completely lost on it's structure and what needs to be ported.

I have a question. I use uBlock and uMatrix. Do I even need Ghostery? Every time I install it I have to klick annoying messages away. It feels like the actual cancerous stuff I want to block.

Install gentoo.

If you actually cared about privacy you'd use a vpn

If you just want annoying scripts and ads gone then ublock is more than enough

>le le le
I know a website where you would fit right in, user

If you consider the best file manager on Linux and a working file picker bloat - I'll take it any day of the week. Not to mention that KDE actually looks modern looks and that is the best looking DE out of the box.

fresh meme right there

And that it is*

>file manager
bloat

It has something to do with Qt's earlier days where it wasn't completely libre. GTK was, and thus was preferred, even is GTK in its entirety is trash. These days Qt has a libre branch though, and its use is increasing. Maybe if Android fucked off with the java bullshit and went full C++/Qt we could actually have a decent phone OS.

Why do people love material design so much

It makes me sick to be honest. Everything is material trash these days. It's like when everything had to be translucent or transparent, or purely dark. Try something decent looking for fucks sake.

They wouldn't need to do that if RedHat didn't insist on pounding their angus so hard over the whole fucking SystemD shit.

And now when Canonical wants to move away from using RedHat cancer, everyone is mad at them for doing so.

RedHat is impure cancer.

You could have a decent phone OS in Java. To bad Android still isn't one.

Now, do you want the Pajeet Mahindras of the world to fuck with your OS in Java, or C++?

Nicely memed my friend!

andromeda fucking when???

Because Google brainwashed them into thinking it's the most perfect design out there