/hpg/ - Headphone General

Top Audiophile Edition

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/nuforce-ne800m-earphones
machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mix5
youtu.be/MUe64FtLs3U
us.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/piano#
youtube.com/watch?v=QiD7SqxPbMY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wonder if Seahawks pay Pete Carroll in audio gear.

I bet he listens to shit/grandpa music while having this unnecessary set up

I bet he passes the ball at the 1 yard line in the Super Bowl.

Hey, came here looking for IEM advice.

>Budget
>Source
Android phone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
n/a
>Comfort level
Comfy, wouldn’t want uncomfortable IEMs
>Sound signature
Honestly not sure, maybe V-shaped? I listen to nightcore and VG OSTs because I am in fact the worst sort of person.
>Past headphones
Honestly don’t remember, but I’ve never spent significant money on IEMs before
I was looking at these: massdrop.com/buy/nuforce-ne800m-earphones are they any good?

Posting this again because while I wrote my post in the old thread this one was linked without me noticing

Reminder that he is in a hotel room, which means he brought all that shit with him on a trip.

How do we stop the audiofool problem?

L O L
O
L

He is listening to the opera

shittate

It's too much for an old husk

wtf is this? r u drunk m8?

Not exactly headphone, but... Looking for a mixer (wrong term?) that will take two audio inputs and properly blend them to a single output device. Inputs are a cable box and a PC, each with RCA and optical outputs. The output device will probably end up being a set of Sennheiser RS 165 RF wireless headphones (unless there are good reasons to stay away from them).

machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

don't forget these to enhance your audio experience

Sliding in usefulness

>wireless headphones
Into the trash it goes.

And for those of us not expert enough to just recognise all of these on sight?

>machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
Thank you user, I always knew there was something wrong with my audio! I went ahead and ordered the pebbles for 159$ + 39$ shipping. Its like I havent even been listening to the REAL music before these!

god awful template by a baby who can't even use paint properly

>being this pleb

>he brought all that shit with him on a trip
It was an audio show. so none of it was his.

it doesn't matter because they'er all garbage, especially when the idiot unironically considers buying the shreek treble cannons that are the k812

(you)

That's the right term. In general you won't want to use the optical as your mixer will then need to have onboard DAs. The Mackie Mix5 is what you want, it has unbalanced inputs so you just go RCA to 1/4" TS for each channel. It's not great audio quality but nothing is for what you want to do (unless you are ready to spend muchomaspesos).

sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mix5

>if it isnt veiled its ear rape
tyrone.....

HD600 are fine.

>BUTTMAD POORFAG DETECTED

I prefer to go by names and numbers than recognising headphones by sight - they all look the same.

>shreek cannons

I double dare you motherfuckers to find a better classical game OST, Jeremy Soules work on this far outshines anything else, even his Dragonborn title song is outpaced by any track on here:

youtu.be/MUe64FtLs3U

Sadly the rest of the guild wars expansions songs are not up to par like the original one.

If you're legally blind, maybe.

HD 600's weren't mentioned by either person once.

>sennfags

>being this pleb

hi akg shill

Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap amp to use with my computer (computer --> 3.5mm jack --> amp --> headphones)? Don't care too much about quality but prefer it to be cheap instead.

Thanks!

>Its that faggot that thinks the regular headphone hording autist is a shill

DT880, K550, K340, K702, IE80, HE500, T50RP, some Sony XB model

K812 and what looks like the K280 parabolic

Define cheap.

How about you give us an actual budget. 'Cheap' is entirely subjective.

hi beyerdynamic shill akg shill highfi shill sony shill

They are in this numbers idiotpic No, they are fine. Objectively and by every metric. There are plenty of phones that are equally good or better, but that doesn't make them not fine.

bluetooth,wireless>>>all of that

ws99

are

>They are in this numbers idiotpic
You didn't quote that post.

Are there any non-terrible wireless IEMs?

No.

Anyone on the Smyth Realiser preorder?
Anyone build any of Millett's stuff?
Anyone have a portable they like as much as or more than the O2 (ideally that will run low impedance loads)?

>Define cheap.
>How about you give us an actual budget. 'Cheap' is entirely subjective.
Is $50 too cheap? Somewhere around there... is cheaper even possible?!

buy these, they are crisp and bassy lol

I quoted the guy who quoted that post. It was a response to his
>it doesn't matter because they'er all garbage

You can get a DIY o2 for around that price
and a CMOY is only like 5 more.
You can also get DIY Classic 47 Amps of ebay/aliexpress for under $10 USD.

I'm pretty sure SMSL makes a fairly cheap headphone amp as well.

Schiit Fulla [not the second model] can be found for cheap too as theyre being cleared out.

Grado SR60 if you want open and a bit harsh.
Sennheiser HD 201 are better than most at the price.

Those are the only ones I've tried at the price that I actually like.

>I quoted the guy who quoted that post. It was a response to his
No he didn't.

He's asking about amps.

Thank goodness you're here.

You're welcome.

those are both shit

Thanks! Will research right now.

I love all the edgy "all your shit is crap" in this thread. Raise your hand if you are professionally involved in music, audio equipment, or sound production in any way. I'll wait.

Thought so.

Grade 8 pianist and proff audio engineer

>Budget
$110
>Location
USA
>Source
TV/Phone
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Prefer comfy
>Sound signature
Bassy or neutral

Any help guys?

HM5

>Nuforce me800m
Kinda super bassy.
The alternative offerings generally are bass heavy anyway, but maybe something less bass heavy to start with.
What price can you find the ATH-IM50 for?

What do you want from your bluetooth IEM? There are some good ones and not so good ones.

>Grade 8

is that like a martial arts belt or some shit?

>hd800
>mac
>wireless mouse
>but muh vacuum tuuubes
>not using xlr

us.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/piano#

SoundMAGIC E10

so you are like a grand-master then?

TTPOD T1

Holy shit user, there's a bunch of really nice Amp kits on ebay! And they seem dead-simple to build.

Do you have any recommendations for which one of the kits to go for? I'd really like to try to build one myself.

Has anyone here built their own amp from a kit?

I'd really like a recommendation for which kit is the best.

>ATH-IM50
I can find exactly 1 available, imported from Japan
through Amazon for £67. Are they worth that much?

£30, look pretty good
Can't find these anywhere selling to the UK.

Classic 47, the one I mentioned in my original reply is really quite good. Next step from that would be a DIY 02.

Both need shielding from EMI though. A grounded sheet of sandwich foil fixes it.

>DIY 02.
OK, I'll look this one up next.

Do any of them come with 1/4" plugs for headphone input btw?

Not sure, but you can just get a 1/4" socket from your local electronics parts store or ebay and use that instead

DIY O2 doesnt come with a case or knob btw

Ok. So tell me, whenever you aren't in your studio the equipment isn't always exactly what you want, and if you go in open to that then you can usually find something beautiful. Even if it's just a pair of SM57s in the right place. It's never exactly the "right gear" for the job but with good talent that's not really a limitation.

So all this butthurt about "the only good headphones" is so much wasted energy. If people only knew how much terrible shit we sometimes have to deal with they'd be more patient with their own gear.

Eric Clapton's Unplugged album is fantastic. Even if you don't like his music, or how it was "mastered" it's a fantastic album. A good system will revel space and intimacy that you can't hear on a crappy car system, but it's not like the music disappears on a crappy car system. The groove is still there. FUCK go listen to some Zydeco and tell me how important your headphones are.

The O2 is really really good. Make the funds happen. Millett's Butte is a good opamp headphone amp but it's not much cheaper (and don't skimp on the caps).

I just got a thinkpad what music player should I put on it? Is there any way to transfer music to an ipod besides itunes?

Nobody argues that point though. /hpg/ is summed down to audiophile consumerism. Most people arguing the dumb shit like 'AKG vs SNAPHEISER REEE' are purely shitposters, and people who argue between headphones are just legitimately trying to help people get the best value for their money. [or confirm their biases, which is another story all together]

Don't forget some people have a lower tolerance for bad/unsatisfactory audio. I'm fine with using cheapo $50 dollar headphones for a brief time, but then there are people who won't accept anything below Stax or some shit.

also
>Ok. So tell me,
You didn't actually ask a question

Foobar2k
It takes getting used to and a lot of set-up, but once you get there it is absolutely worth it.
Watch some videos if you get confused or want some guidance.

would you guys recommend the Brainwavs earpads, and if so, any specific variety of 'em?

For what headphone?

yeah that's what I use on my desktop, put that on like 3 years ago was checking to see if anything better came out but it doesn't look like it lmao

the h'white tascam th-02

There wasn't a question, I guess I thought I was going to get to one based on an equipment lowest common denominator but I never did.

I like my IEMs, they are good. I like my Beyer 250s and 990s, they are different. I work on Event 2020s, JBL cinema three ways, and Genelecs. They are all different and none are really more true than the other, just different.

Not saying there isn't good advice, I just see a lot of shitposting (but that's not unique to Sup Forums, it annoys me just as much on /k/).

My point to people who are stressing about some audio decision is that in general you aren't going to get the right thing the first time, and it takes experience with a lot of gear to have a sense of what works for you and what doesn't so just try a bunch of stuff and decide what you like. Probably should have lead with that.

Nothing that I know of has surpassed it. Foobar is so open source and well supported by community for plugins and shit.

Might want to ask Sup Forums maybe?

>everyone else is stupid except me for I am a mighty studio engineer/musician

Get over yourself pal

ZEOS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEE

but honestly do you really want to spend more than 22 on pads for a headphone that costs less than that?
The clamp is hard enough on them that you probably dont want to increase it by getting thicker HM5's like the angled variants, though it could aid if youre using them for portable use and need isolation.

Pleathers work best if you want to keep their low end. Hybrids would probably do well too, though wont isolate as much.

I wouldn't recommend velours on closed cans for most cases.

Not a question about headphones specifically, but about a DAC/AMP for my new Massdrop AKG K7XXs
>Budget
100 ish
>Location
USA
>Source
I've been using a Fiio E10K when I'm at my desk, and it drives these headphones comfortably, but it's on it's last legs. When I move the volume, it only plays out of my right ear until I put pressure on the volume knob and it randomly works again :( But any slight movement of the cable fucks it up again.
>Type of headphone
AKG K7XX for most of everything, but I use some RHA MA750s when I play my drumset, so I would hope that the new DAC/AMP wouldn't produce a hiss or something with my RHAs since they are so easy to drive.

Is there anything that would be a quality of life improvement from the Fiio E10K at around the 100ish mark? The onboard sound of my computer has an audible hiss, so I need both a DAC and an AMP, hopefully in one. I know that something like an AudioEngineD1 or Schiit Stack would be ideal, but I'm tied a bit for cash.

Schiit Fulla. Uses same DAC as in the stacks. Well worth the money and it'd easily beat an E10k in both sound and power.

>posting lucifers sigil

random asf, he's just saying that there are different tiers and levels of enjoyment, when you're eating in michelin starred restaurants you can also enjoy the shack around the corner, but having everyone condone the shack over the starred chefs is just shitposting for the masses aka what's best for the majority is the best for the individual

Should probably clarify
Fulla 2, not the original Fulla.

looks like the Fulla 2 is back-ordered and I was kinda hoping to get it as soon as I could. Looks like the OG fulla is 60 fries on Amazon. Is it worth the wait to get the 2?

Only headphones I could feasibly see myself getting after these AKGS, if any, would be like some Senny HD650s or 600s. Probably not though. Would either Fulla run those? This may sound dumb, sorry.

I hate Sup Forums i'm just going to stay with foobar

Sup Forums loves musicbee as well. That's breddy alright

No actually, the people who don't care too much have it right. It's like a bell curve. Just enjoy your shit and don't get all strung out by people telling you your shit is bad. Basically the opposite of what you seemed to get out of it. And the only reason I brought up the business is because I literally spend 9.7 hours of every work day critically listening to shit.

is soulseek okay to use? Been using it for a while and always find the hard to find shit on there. Is it safe to use? Are there better options for free music? I don't want to have to share shit on a private torrent group or something I hated what.cd

O2 is good in that price range.

sounds like you have a cracked solder joint on the pot. Pull the thing apart and check it or re-flow the solder on the pot's joints.
youtube.com/watch?v=QiD7SqxPbMY