Happen to be in system tray on laptop

>happen to be in system tray on laptop
>notice battery is only at 89% while plugged in and it hasn't been unplugged all day
>says battery not charging
>unplug it, remove battery, etc do a huge list of fixes, none of which work
>lost some charge during the off-time
>not at 86% plugged in, not charging
>battery life options meter says "battery charging disabled"
is this a fault in the adapter or the battery itself? i'm afraid to even unplug it again because i might not be able to charge it back up

ded

The battery just reached the maximum allowed cycle count and bricked it's IC. Some batteries do this for safety reasons. A new battery will solve this problem.

>safety reasons

Blocked its what?

drm battery

Integrated controller.

Dell?

Some systems dont fully charge the battery to 100% when permanently plugged in, to extend its lifespan

It's probably a software issue. Windows will sometimes do this for any number of retarded reasons.

Try going to the Device Manager, uninstalling the battery driver device, then rebooting.

yes, dell
i've saw other places rec this so i'll try it. going to swap the adapter and battery from another laptop i have of the same model to make sure its not hardware related first

This. Congrats OP, you're the reason why we have shit like pic related. you're going to make some tech support guy's day really shitty

i dont call tech support. some guy getting paid to tell me to update drivers and make sure its plugged in isn't going to fix my problem.

Nobody will be able to fix your problem because there isn't one. As a manufacturer, you're screwed if you tell the truth and say it's 86%, because then you get threads like this. If you lie and say it's 100%, then you get people asking why the laptop is ruining their battery by charging it to max every time. This is why fake antennas exist.

what

laptops disengage charging themselves even when plugged in because keeping the battery 100% charged will ruin it quicker. To solve this they stop around 90% and then let it run down to 80% and start charging it up back to 90%. It will never get to 100% on purpose. It is not "broken", it is doing it on purpose.

how can you achieve a 100% charge then? it doesn't seem to even be charging when turned off and plugged in. i left it plugged all night while off and closed and it is still at 86%

Dell only charges when the battery is below a certain level to avoid unnecessary charge cycles. It took me a while to find this out. You can disable it on the UEFI.

That was my joke about deciding to tell the OS/acpi/battery/whatever to "lie" and say that 86% is 100% because it's the highest it's ever going to allow. But even if you did this, some people would then think it's actually 100% for real and say it is ruining the battery. If you make it stop at 86%, you will get angry phone calls, and if you make it stop at 100%, you will get angry phone calls.

The reason why bluetooth adapters with fake antennas exist is not because they're trying to "rip you off" but it's because people call up their support complaining that no wireless technology can work without an antenna, because they don't know about integrated antennas being more than good enough for the adapter's needs. If you make a bluetooth adapter with a fake antenna, you get tech people calling you shit for opening it and seeing that it's fake, and if you don't have a fake antenna, you get people calling up asking why you sold them a scam product.

>too lazy to google "Battery charging disabled"
You are an idiot

There you go OP, head on over to your bios and disable it quick, then in 4 months complain again when your battery is dead.

We are the 86% !

im not reinstalling drivers and shit if the issue is hardware related, which it was. just swapped the battery out for another of the same model and it has charged to 100% as intended. the fault was in the original battery losing capacity or otherwise failing.

Put it into your mouth and check for any electric sensation.

You can check for sure by using linux acpi -V (or any acpi tool for any OS) and it will say the last held charge in MaH, you then compare that to what is written on the battery.

>system tray
You misspelled notification area.

discharge to 0, recharge to 100

All the byllshit conspiracy and pseudo theories. Just buy a new battery and dispose of the old battery properly.

I've seen this be the adapter. Puts through enough volts but not enough amps.

The internal IC circuit