/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

First for Tudor

2rd for new LM special and a successfully nabbing a black turtle for 215$.

good buys

>58012185
yes that and the part that it wasn't really that well made anyway and I lost interest in watches in general. The alpha is just an toy anyway and its toy money.

dis:

nine balls

>Sinn
But afaik all their movements are the usual generic outsourced shit.
So what makes them so special?

I have been really starting to love the explorer 1, I don't know why but it looks increasingly more attractive every time I look at it.

It's hard for me to classify this watch/style, because it's sort of a weird hybrid. What do you even classify an explorer 1 as? It's case is sort of pilot-y but not the dial. It's definitely not a dress watch. Sort of sporty but not something I would consider a sport watch.

What would you classify/call an explorer 1 /wt/?

Also I assume partly because I don't know what style it is it's hard for me to find something similar. What other watches share this style in the sub 500$ range? Doesn't have to be a blatant "homage" like the Smiths Everest, just the same vibe (it can have a date window and I wouldn't mind for example).

I have only been interested in dive watches for the longest time so I have no idea about this shit.

I just received this as a company christmas gift.

I've never owned a wrist watch before, so I know nothing about them.
Is this any good?

Skagen 858XLSLB

It looks dusty because the protective sticker is still on it

its a mountaineering watch senpai

Maybe a really nice field watch?
The SARG009 is kind of similar, but not quite.

SARG009 (or 007 if you're willing to shell 500$), otherwise one of the Seiko Alpinists like the SARB017.

Also the SARG005.

Yeah I've come across that one before in my searches, I would have bought it instantly if the numerals on it weren't so colossal.

you got them for free and they look nice
why not? they are not expensive to return

Timex make an Explorer 1 homage.

Timex has many nice designs, being "American", but their movements and build quality are absolute shit. I wish they'd just go with Miyotas and SII's like the rest.

Engineering and manufacturing quality. I've handled a Sinn 856 up close and the manufacturing quality is obvious. Plus a stock ETA 2892-A2 or Soporod A10-2 is in my view better than Omega's co-axial meme.

Also in regards to the black Turtle, despite the stock strap being known to be bretty i'd still like some more options.

So far i'm considering: extra thicc zulu, simple nato, vintage regimental perlon, or haram leather.

Well I guess I can definitely see the value in a truly well-made and solidly designed watch with a generic movement, priced fairly. Especially for utilitarian watches.

So basically anything.

Kinda.

Guess i'll get that regimental perlon while it's dirt cheap.

Nth for Seagull 1963

I'm buying a fake watch.

Which one?

A fake Komandirskie.

still waiting for someone to tell me the downsides of a bulova accuswiss chronograph

someone said I should go oris or fortis for "a little more", but I could find no used examples for even close to what I can get a few of these bulova for.

if I wanted to spend a couple grand, I'd save for a speedy, but if I'm only spending 500 I'm not going to be as picky

Both are ugly to me.

Right because flat tummy and nice pits

It's pretty fucking ugly. Those indices are gross.

First part of rayskin strap. I'll do the other half tonight when I get home from work.

An explorer i is a dress watch. Explorer ii is a mountaineering watch.

a158

A fake F-91W.

Literally dog shit tier quartz fashion watch.

It was free and yet you still paid too much.

i like the ray skin itself but the stitching seems really thick and out of place

looks breddy gud, but that cutting mat is disgusting bruh

there are a few models and stock photos never show a watch well

whoever posted this: that's one sexy mutha

how to classify the Explorer 1?

outdoorsy active gentlemans watch, in the same vein as the Alpinist without the loud colors on the dial. I like the owl penis fine but the green and gold isn't exactly subtle

It's a real shame that seiko seems to have discontinued the white/gold alpinist. Not the current sarg one, but the one with the sexy hands.

Don't really have anything thinner that would give a nice contrast. I didn't want to risk smaller stitch holes because I didn't know if the hide could stand up to it.

Thanks, bud.

>Tfw I got warned for reporting that shit as false report

Fucking nigger mods.

sorry, i didn't think posting just the link was going to be an issue.

What's your favorite daily Sup Forumsents?

steel bezel or black bezel?

methinks the steel bezel

Black bezel is more legible.

Steel would only work if polished.

I don't know how much I will actually use the tachymeter

>The only thing in a watch is its movement
Seriously, this needs to stop.

I like the dial on the one with the black bezel better. What material is the bezel made of?

Never said that.

amazon says stainless steel but the paint makes it look like plastic to me

Painted bezles are bad news. It's just asking to get fucked up.

If you like it, then great... But it's a quartz fashion watch, it will work, but there is literally nothing special about them. Even though it's danish (arent they?) they don't have any Bang&Olufsen design history and the movements are just a common off-the-shelf quartz movement they bought from some factory.

It will tell time and it looks fine I guess. We are a bunch of snobs though, so you will likely not get praise for this.

I wouldn't recommend you buy one, but it looks decent and I would definitely wear it over nothing.

Too bad it has a habit of out right stopping for no reason. I don't wear it much but I might take it to a clockworkers shop.

Picked this up awhile back and still on love with it. The pinstripe dial and blue hands are eye catching.

Literally my face when I scroll through /wt/.
Nothing but commiewatches and nipwatches.

I polished an SNK809 that I bought for my brother for Christmas. Looks pretty okay.

I visited a Swatch store today (I had time to kill). I wanted to see the Sistem51, since I had read about it and it seemed interesting to see in the flesh.
The salesman was talking to a guy wearing a Hamilton Khaki ("I regulated it myself and it's as accurateem as a Rolex!"), and they were both agreeing that Rolex was a rip-off and you were only paying for the brand. I was already glad I came in the store to hear that. No mention of Omega weirdly enough...
I handled a Sistem51 (and an Irony - I have to give it to them, they're very well named). It axtually didn't feel too bad, and the movement is quite interesting.
But even more interesting was the sales spiel. I mentioned I owned mechanical watches when asked if I knew what they were. The upsell points on the Sistem51 were then:
- the circle rotor, which is twice as big as normal, half-circle rotors, so the watch charges twice as fast.
- the barrel, twice as big as usual watches again, which gave it a 90 hours PR. Fair enough on that one.
- the laser adjustment, which meant is was about twice as accurate as a regular mechanical watch.
- the price, which was very competitive for a swiss-made mechanical.
I'll let you decide which of those points are actually good and which seem like bullshit made to trick people...
He had made no mention of the fact that it's machine-assembled, so I brought it up. He didn't seem to think of it as an actual upside of the watch, interestingly enough.

But the way they sell those things is quite interesting. To the mechanical watch owner who doesn't know much (like the guy with his Hamilton), they make it seem like a credible alternative to other mechanicals.
I would love to know how they sell the mechanical thing to someone who isn't already interested, though. I'll have to check out another shop and feign ignorance to find out. I will make sure to point out how retarded it is to wear a watch that is more expensive and less accurate.

thanks for the blog post

For what reason?

You did it after all.
That bezel looks good. The lug seems weird from this picture though.

That's a special kind of autism.

I should have brought up servicing and long-term life to that one salesman too, now that I think about it.

Aren't you interested in the Sistem51, user? It's a shame to just dismiss it as crap and move on. I find it much more interesting to find out exactly how trash it is, and in which ways it might not be totzl trash.

I don't like the polished steel with that strap.
Could work with a rugged leather strap.

Please point out the autism to me. I'm too autistic and can't figure out what you mean.

>feel of superiority to the normie wearing a Hamilton Khaki
>feel of superiority to the salesman
>visit different stores in order to ask about the same product

hey fuck you guys, I just handled a hamilton khaki in the flesh and it was pretty gud.

it seems like a perfectly viable option for me, although I don't have a seiko boutique near me to handle a sarb.

Today was our Christmas Lunch at work and a lot of the Big Wigs at my company were here for the event. I work for a European Company in the Energy Business and the term "Disposable Income" takes on a meaning that most can never imagine.

I've always been a watch person but this year I got into the REP game and the bug has bit me pretty hard...

With those two things said, I spent every casual conversation trying to figure out who was wearing the most expensive watch. It was impossible! I made out two Breitling's, an Omega, a Rolex, and the rest of them could have been a Timex as far as I could tell.

I realized just how hard it is to tell what watch someone is wearing even when your specifically looking. It's hard to even make out what Brand!

I can safely state that 99% of the people you see daily have no idea whatsoever that you are wearing a "Fake" watch. Having that conversation is just plain silly!

That is true for normies, except when you come by a watch aficionado like me, I will spot your fake from a few feet. Then I will chuckle and look down upon you, maybe even make a remark about it to in person. You will sweat bullets. I've done this before to people, the look they give me is either distressed or full of wonder and disappointment (since they didn't know they had an fake).

I've spent hours studying real watches and the fake ones, especially when I've got a few expensive real ones it's good to know who's wearing the fakes.

It is dangerous to wear an fake, especially the day when I come and ask you if I can try your watch.

But why?

Man on the fucking moon of course

>an fake

My usual and at the moment only go to beater, at least until either the turtle arrives or i decide to order a new case for the Amphibia.

>me when I'm in the vicinity of this guy

Noone is dissing the Hamilton you tard.

English is not my primary language.

For the fun of it, and it literally makes you look like a vain criminal in the normie eyes when I reveal you.

wait a while

Was thinking of buying a Sea urchin, would this be a good first buy for a non quartz watch?

Yes its a nice sports watch, normies will love it. Its not a diver though.

On a separate note, what do you guys think about the bulova moon watch? Or should I go for the much cheaper alpha speedmaster?

How is it not a diver? It's styled like a diver and has adequate WR for recreational diving, what more does it need?

It is good for swimming but not diving. I think it is a good choice. There are also some nice mods you can do if you get bored with it.

Moonwatch by far.

One could argue that it's not an ISO certified diver, or it just lacks 200m's of WR.

Either way it's a sports/recreational diver, decent choice for babby's first mechanical.

I think there's something more... honest about the Bulova, it's fat though. Thankfully the lug to lug is manageable.

I just checked the specs on the alpha. It's listed as 16.5mm thick. Christ that's too thick for a handwinding chronograph.

Bulova has watches with a 7750 that are thinner than that.

Where can I learn more of what mods I can do with this watch?

Alpha is trash, the Bulova Moonwatch is probably the only good-looking watch Bulova makes today.

Google.
I'm pretty sure there are pelagos, sub, fifty fathoms, and other non-homage mods out there.

this is the model that most mods use. It's usually cheaper, looks better stock, and has more mods available to it because that bezel style is what many make inserts for

There's nothing quite like driving through a literal fucking blizzard to get some dim sum at a place so Cantonese they call Mandarin speakers gewilo...the joys of being a fat Canadian.

Thanks for the help

Feels comfy, man!

>the circle rotor, which is twice as big as normal, half-circle rotors, so the watch charges twice as fast.

Eh, calling someone a gweilo is almost an endearment at this point. It's like a joke to Cantos. My Chinese girlfriend has familiarized me with the Mandarin term "guizi", which seems like it's actually supposed to be legitimately offensive.

What kind of snow tires do you have on, my fat friend from Toronto? And do you have a chronograph to time your commute and see how much the snow has delayed you? It's bitching cold in London right now, by the way.