Go thread

Go thread

Gophers unite

We know our language is the best because the shills can't stop shilling against it. I hate google too, but they hired the creator of Plan 9 and created the best language. They studied the mistakes of other languages and improved upon them.

Don't say C or C++ is better, the standard reference for these languages costs over $100, you're a cuckold if you use them.

Don't say Java is better, it runs in a god damn VM and is made by oracle.

What else you got? Rust? D? They're pretty good, but not nearly as good as golang, especially for enterprise applications and applications which require a lot of fail safes like finance.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Integrated_development_environments
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Writing C code that scales to two, or even
eight cores is quite difficult but not insanely
hard. Writing C code that scales to 64 or 256
cores is very challenging. With a language
designed for concurrency (go), it is much easier.

>Go aims to provide a rich set of features without overcomplicating the language. Contrast this with C++, where even after having worked on a standard library implementation and a couple of compilers for the language, I still find myself having to refer to the spec periodically.

-D. Chissnal PhD, Author of the FreeBSD C++ stack

Why should I learn Go? I know C, Java, Scala, JavaScript, Python.

What's in it for me?

Length of specification text (in pages) by language:

78 Go
93 Rust
550 C
552 D
586 JavaScript
788 Java
1324 C++

>I sure know how to create punchable mascots.
>Oy Rob, where is my next dick to suck?

- creator of the mascot

It's fun and will only take you an afternoon to learn it if you already know all those.

It's one of the fastest growing languages too.

>fun
It sounds silly but this is actually true. Learning Go made me feel feels I haven't felt since I was a spotty 13 year old clumsily taking my first forays into programming with YABASIC. I realised programming hasn't been fun for me for years, and learning Go was cathartic on a base level.

Honestly the Gopher mascot got me laid once. I had the sticker on my laptop and a girl came up and said she thought it was cute

>aww I like your chipmunk user
>heh it's actually a gopher
>oh lol do you like gophers user??
>Well actually it's the mascot for the Go programming language, it's a modern programming language developed by google.
>What does that mean user?
>Well you see programs on computers are written in software languages
>So you make computer programs
>yeah
>that's so cool user I bet you make a lot of money
>I do

panties instantly soaked.

Nothing. Crystal will completely curb stomp it, as it has generics and macros while filling the same niche.

t. nigger

It's a dumbed-down java. If you can afford java or .net devs there is no reason to settle for less, if you're on a budget though and have to train a team out of scraps from the bottom of the barrel it might come in handy.

Except it wasn't made by some of the top programmers in the industry who studied the theory behind concurrent models.

You should read CSP, it's what go is based off of (theory, anyway).

It's actually closer to C than any other language, and is most inspired by C.

>Honestly the Gopher mascot got me laid once. I had the sticker on my laptop and a girl came up and said she thought it was cute
>>aww I like your chipmunk user
>>heh it's actually a gopher
>>oh lol do you like gophers user??
>>Well actually it's the mascot for the Go programming language, it's a modern programming language developed by google.
>>What does that mean user?
>>Well you see programs on computers are written in software languages
>>So you make computer programs
>>yeah
>>that's so cool user I bet you make a lot of money
>>I do
>panties instantly soaked.

Wow, you almost lied on the internet. What actually happened to you that day:

Honestly the Gopher mascot got me laid once. I had the sticker on my laptop and a faggot came up and said she thought it was cute

>aww I like your chipmunk user
>heh it's actually a gopher
>oh lol do you like gophers that look like chipmunks user?? you must have daddy issues
>Well actually it's the punchingball plushy for the Go programming language, it's a meme programming language developed by an advertisement company.
>What does that mean user?
>I'm a huge fan of schlongs.

panties instantly baggy

Unhelpful compiler errors make it difficult to learn a language, as anyone who has made a typo in C++ code using templates will know. In C, for example, function and global variable declarations have almost the same syntax. This means that the compiler can’t easily tell which one you meant if you make an error. It gives you helpful error messages like “expected ;” on a line where you don’t think a semicolon is expected at all. The Go grammar was designed to make it possible for the compiler to tell you more accurately what you did wrong. It was also designed to avoid the need to state something that can be easily inferred. For example, if you create a variable and set its value to 42, the compiler could probably guess that this variable should be an integer, without it being explicitly stated. If you initialize it with a function call, then the compiler can definitely tell that the type should be whatever the function returned. This was the same problem that C++ 2011 solves with the auto type.

t. pajeet

A woman will never talk to you about your C++ sticker.

>Except it wasn't made by some of the so called top programmers in the industry who studied the theory behind concurrent models, mostly a worthless meme when being more than basic, bare threads.
>You should read [another worthless theorem], it's what go is based off of (theory, anyway).

Why don't all languages have cute animal mascots?

>He needs them stickers to talk to women.

Structures in Go are somewhat richer than C structures. One of the most important differences is that Go structures automatically support data hiding. Any top-level type, method, or variable name that starts with a capital letter is visible outside of the package in which it is declared. This
extends to structure fields. In C, if you only put some fields from a structure in a header, then you will encounter problems when someone tries to allocate an instance of it on the stack: his compiler won’t allocate enough space for it. Go packages export the offsets of the public fields. This allows them to be created and their public fields accessed from other compilation units.

LOOK EVERYONE THIS GUY IS SMARTER THAN PROFESSORS WHO TEACH CS AT CAMBRIDGE, BETTER NOT LEARN GO!!11

Ill use it more when its more mature.
Im still waiting for something like love2d in go

If you’re coming from C++, then you should use interfaces in most of the places where you’d use templates in C++. Rather than defining template functions or classes (which Go doesn’t support), define an interface that specifies the set of methods that you need, and use it where you would use the template parameter in C++

This is much more straightforward than C++ or Java.

Friendly reminder Hoare couldn't into functional programming.

The error output makes it a joy to use to be fair, I really appreciate it after years of C++. They're close to Ada's level of readability. Ada makes me laugh because the error messages are so on-point that I start to wonder why the compiler doesn't just fix the source for you.

after all why DO when you can TEACH right?

CSP defines a functional language to illustrate the theory behind concurrent models.

Let's see your PhD? Let's see a single piece of software you've ever written?

That's write, you have never written anything in your life you feel confident enough to show to anonymous people on the internet.

You're a pathetic loser, probably a virgin, and I wouldn't be surprised if you're just some triggered pajeet who spent half a decade learning c++ only to realize that even the creators of C++ believe that's a waste of time.

I'm gonna go code some Go while my girlfriend gives me a bj (and yes, she's a real woman, born with a vagina, not a penis).

gofags really like to yell claims pulled out their own ass
>fastest growing

>especially for enterprise applications and applications which require a lot of fail safes like finance

And what failsafes does Go have exactly? It's literally a minimalist version of java. It still has null pointers and shared memory concurrency along with a weak type system. Go is less safe than Java.

Is golang a good language to learn as a beginner?

Convince me that it's good using code snippets.

There's no reason why you couldn't. The concurrency side of things might make your head hurt as a beginner, but this is normal. I've been programming for 15 years and concurrency still occasionally makes my head hurt.

>looking for women who code

Go is a pretty good language for beginners, but most languages are. It really just matters what you want to do.

Honestly if I was just starting out all over again, I'd pick C and stick with it for a year. Then I'd move on to other langs.

C rots the mind of young programmers.

t. Lisp weenie

I think it gives you intuition and better problem solving skills.

Go is a great language for beginners.

Anyone got any golang ebooks?

*still hoping all these languages will root in hell and the golden age of LISP will come*

yes

I am really really retarded with low IQ.

Will Golang work for me and allow me to create interesting things without strenuous effort?

I'm not interested in software development as a job i just want to do it for fun.

lispfags are so obnoxious desu

Yes. Go is designed for people with low IQs.

Oh god, what is this shilling today?

Two "Golang" threads at the same time?
Mysterious guys who like google all of a sudden from everywhere?

Get off my Sup Forums, g.

Are any of those really worth reading? I.e. if I've read everything on and linked to from golang.org, will I get anything new from any of those?

This pic is for you, senpai.

Excellent

what ide to use for Go?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Integrated_development_environments

None, what the fuck is wrong with you? If you don't write all your Go code in acme, you're doing it wrong.

how do i test it then

i want to use an ide.

Didn't you read a single word of the go tour? Or any of the other articles on the site?

>mfw spoon-feeding wintoddlers

No.

I never learned how to read. Just spoonfeed me okay?