Name a more useless gadget

name a more useless gadget

protip: you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

usb.org/developers/docs/whitepapers/327216.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that doesnt look useless, some cases have their usb ports vertical while others have them horizontal

Your mum

It's not useless when the device you're trying to connect is fucking wide and blocks 2 ports. In those cases you can use this.

I use short cables like that when I need to plug a flash drive into the back of a case so I don't have to worry about it breaking off.

/thread

>what is a port saver
I'm actually about to order two because the USB ports on my SBC are mounted vertically and with the peripherals plugged in sideways they don't fit in the case

usb micro type A.

I can name one use for that, as I have one!

I bought, a long time ago, a FEZ Panda, Arduino clone featuring a .NET powered MCU at 72Mhz, long long before the Arduino Due, at Arduino Uno price.
It featured USB Client capabilities but no USB Host.
One year later, when they released the FEZ Panda II, they added USB Host and said "if you update the firmware and add a couple resistors between USB pins on a male to female adaptor, you can get USB host on the Panda I as well".. So I got one of those.

My dad hoards USB cables like that.

ez

Epic meme, friend xD

>My dad
underage detected. you kids are so damn easy to spot these days.

this is an 18+ board. time for you to fuck off and come back in a couple of years when you're of age.

That cable is useful for plugging in THICC USB drives.
>useless gadgets
Smartphones.

This is Sup Forums, do you really think you won't find a 30 year old with his parents here?
Maybe you're the one who hasn't seen the real world

Jokes on you I'm 37 years old.

Does everyone's parents die when they hit 18?

In some countries they'd be long gone by then

no but you generally stop bringing them up all the time in conversations

You're supposed to murder your parents when you turn 18

It's not like he shoehorned it in. It was completely relevant to this thread

you bring them up when they're the one's using the supposedly useless tech.

I have a few 3ft ones of these. They are actually useful to bring another port to the front side of a case or extend a keyboard's cable a bit so it can reach your computer under your desk.

it's actually pretty useful when you can't keep a connected flash drive between your TV and the wall or you need to raise a USB WiFi card a little.
Also kys

my dick

not yet

I use these when I boot from a live USB. It takes all the stress off the drive. Without them, the thumb drive gets destroyed anytime you bump it.

colleges won't let you use a smartphone on a test.

I have a TI graphic calculator. I think it was a wasted purchase, its capabilities are far beyond what I needed at school, but in university I had MATLAB to do everything the calculator could do, and in the real engineering world I don't need to do any maths.

This is good for use with some usb sticks on cars

how old are you?

Dont you remember the years of bulky USB devices?

I just can't stand what they did to the home button. Pressing it and feeling absolutely no feed back triggers me.

I'm sorry you lost your father when you were young, user

USB 3.0 causes interference with wireless mice\keyboards that run on the 2.4hz frequency. This dongle would be perfect to move it a couple inches away from the device.

>USB 3.0 causes interference with wireless mice\keyboards that run on the 2.4hz frequency.
Really?

I used one of these to hack my original Xbox and run Win 95 and Gentoo on it. Shit's far from useless.

No. He's a jackass. They run on 2.4ghz anyway, not 2.4hz.

Yes, and it is 2.4ghz

usb.org/developers/docs/whitepapers/327216.pdf

underrated

kek

They only found interference if the wireless mouse was more than 3 feet from the receiver. Moving the 3.0 dongle a few inches away wouldn't have any practical effect.

I've always wondered what that was.

Has anyone ever seen this? For anything? Ever?

But it does, it moves the wireless receiver a few inches away from the device lowering interference from the port itself and increasing the signal response from the wireless accessories.

Firewire 800

Very useful, I was just shopping for a Firewire 800 HDD enclosures a few hours ago

useless outside apple world

It's actually a pretty good connector, sadly it's from Apple

Absolutely useful if you're trying to steal encryption keys from a Mac's RAM. Same for thunderbolt.

This. Target mode is nice at least.

i would never let a mac inside my home or worksplace

too late m8

I want RMS out

It's a we'll sue your company to the brink of bankruptcy port

Nah, plenty of non-Macs had Firewire, it's just even more useful on Macs.

We have a mix of windows 10 and ubuntu pcs

Firewire 800 was never used outside apple world

32MB

How popular its use was doesn't determine the usefulness. Firewire 800 is very useful.

how come this isn't mentioned

useless things can be useful for a few people with special needs

As can useful things.

i bet that you wouldn't say that about paralell port

>useless gadget

it's not useless, sometimes you cant fit a device if 2 usb ports are close together

512MB or 1GB actually

Because it still hasn't shipped. Apple can't get them to work yet.

And I wouldn't be wrong.

>no but you generally stop bringing them up all the time in conversations

Sounds like troubles in your home, need a psychiatrist?

Wii U

Those air dryer things in the public bathroom that never seem to quite do its job

I have 4 of these just for single board computers. They're great if you don't want a long USB dongle sticking out the back of your computer too.

Maybe because they aren't useless?

>Verizon

At least he got one thing right.

Just add a Bluetooth dongle.

>Maybe because they aren't useless?
Apple can't get them to work, so until they do they are worthless.

gee can't possibly think of a situation where I might want a usb device to be extended from the receiving port by a few centimeters.

hurf fuck off to reddit.

My HP prebuilt from 2006 had Firewire 800, it was useful since I could connect my Firewire 400 miniDV camcorders through that

op

>tfw you think it's a gadget
>it's actually a gizmo