/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old Thread here Post your simple/small/stupid questions here.

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Inspiron-13-5378-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.5077267000
thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/brands/mens-winter-boots/chillberg-waterproof-boots-0600088799929--24
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/sRQLd6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do 3:2 monitors exist yet or do I have to go with 4:3? I want to get a cheap non-widescreen monitor to use in portrait mode as my secondary monitor

So I signed up for a shady site and my network wifi went down a couple hours later.

Are they related? I didn't enter any info regarding my network. Only important thing I put was my email.

Re-asking here just for some more insight

So I've bought into the Ultrabook meme and have been looking at machines to buy

I've spotted the Asus UX360UA for around £600, i5, 3200x1800 screen, good ports, 128GB SSD.

The one everyone wanks over is the HP Spectre x360 though, and that's retailed at £900, has a 1920x1080 screen that is actually worse than the Asus in not only resolution, a worse hinge but 256GB SSD

My question is, where the hell does the gap in price come from? I've seen both in person, the Asus seems like a better machine but it just doesn't look as slick

Something just feels off about paying less for what seems like more, what's the catch?

Simplicity to shorten the amount of boilerplate code needed.

The catch is usually things like build quality, just jamming high end specs in a laptop isn't what makes it expensive

>bought a new PC
>turn it on
>the PC turns on, but nothing happens
>wait
>nothing
>the video graphics card stops working
>PC still on, without any signal on the monitor

what could it be?

I have an old Llano APU that is apparently working fine (OC and all) regarding the cpu portion but with no graphics. Windows doesn't recognize the adapter and in the bios I can force embeded gfx (dvi connector works ust fine) but can't allocate shared memory, since doing just that makes the system unable to post.

any ideas? I'm kinda curious.

>buying a pre-build PC
lol, what a loser.

Anyway, have you considered checking if you have problems with the cables you are using and if your graphics card is properly connected into your motherboard? I've had problems connecting my graphics card in the past.

sounds like a short circuit somewhere.
check the mobo grounding and every single one of the power connectors.

i am a 21 years old spaniard and i work by myself doing computer repairs and maintenance
i dont get much calls and even if i did the job is not that good
what should i study to get a better job in technology ?
should i try to continue my career here or move to another country ?

yep, pre-built

yes, it is well connected to the motherboard

i just can't unterstand why it stops after a while

wait, forget what i said.
does it post?

i will check that.

I was transferring something to a flash drive on Computer A and the average transfer speed was 4.5 MB/s. On computer B the average speed was 16 MB/s.

Is USB transfer speed determined by the CPU?
Is copying to slower than copying from?

Why was one computer faster than another?

I just uploaded my app to the play store but I can't find it when I search for it.
It says here that it's published.
Anyone knows something?

is the motherboard posting (does it beep)?
any led indicators?

if it isn't posting check the cpu first, then the memory. But since it's a prebuilt you are probably better rma'ing it... don't even bother, if the return shipping isn't too much of a hassle.

the motherboard doesn't post
it's like it is working normally

i also you try the rma... might be the better option. ty

microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Inspiron-13-5378-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.5077267000

Is this too good to be true? An i5 Kaby Lake laptop for less than 500 bucks? It also seems to be compatible with 2.5 inch SSDs which I already have in my current laptop

>Is this too good to be true?
I think so.

is there a way to save this picture?
i right click > save fullsize image but it saves something else
thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/brands/mens-winter-boots/chillberg-waterproof-boots-0600088799929--24

the large picture of the boot is what im referring to btw

How can I torrent Excel 2016?

>have to make an appointement for a subject which consists in making a bunch of drawings with a common theme and make a "portable museum"
>I thought it could be neat , and easy, to make a web page with all my drawings in it and have a personalized qr code (that leads to the page) printed in a t-shirt , this way I can have a "portable museum" without having to carry all my shit

Should I use 3rd party shit (if so which one) or can an almost 0 programming skills dude do a web page to hold images by himself

you can take a screenshot of your whole screen and cut it to the part you want using the "Print" key on your keybard. Press Ctrl+V on mspaint to put the printscreen there

google it lazy cunt
you are such a dumb idiot

i'm writing a web application where the action that is done on the server is determined by a request parameter. which is stylistically better?

sub someAction {
# do some action
}

sub someOtherAction {
# do some other action
}

sub requestHandler {
if ($action eq 'someAction') {
someAction;
} elsif ($action eq 'someOtherAction')
someOtherAction;
} ...
}

or
sub requestHandler {
if ($action eq 'someAction') {
# do some action
} elsif ($action eq 'someOtherAction')
# do some other action

assuming that "some action" and "some other action" are only done in those two instances (i.e. the code is not reused anywhere else in the application), does it make sense to separate it into it's own functions? i feel like if i don't, i end up with one huge function, and if i do, i get all these functions that are only called in one place; both options seem wrong for different reasons.
inb4 let's all laugh at perl for not having normal switch/case statements or spelling elsif weird

I just had that stupid fucking "too many 16 bit programs running" error after nu-sjwfox shat itself and when i tried to log off everything just froze completely and there was just a black screen with the mouse on it which responded in realtime perfectly fine but no matter what buttons i pressed nothing else happened so i had to do a hard reboot

How do i prevent this from happening again inna future

yeah but i was looking to save the magnified image
and you cant magnify the whole image at one time, it's one of those hoverboxes that just magnify part of it

Nevermind I figured it out.

Is it safe if I TeamViewer on my phone using its 3G network?
Like can anyone else see what I'm doing?

Practically no. Almost all 4:3 monitors are TN panels, so not great for portrait since the vertical viewing angles are shit.

Cheapo used 5:4 1280x1024 monitors are pretty common, but again all TN so don't rotate them.

if you are alone in the room no one else can see it

also teamviewer over 3G will barely work from the low bandwith
I have 0 experience using it in phones but id recommend using wifi

What are good websites where I can learn C, C++ and Java?

I intend to go fully into the software development field for jobs.

I kind of need the most hand-holdy learning tool possible. I am not that good at studying.

What I mean is 3g is sort of a shared network so I was wondering if anyone can see what it is I'm doing I already know IPs can monitor traffic but what about users

no, teamviewer is encrypted and safe

Depends.
If you have absolutely 0 knowledge of object oriented programming then I recommend thenewboston on youtube.

After that I would read a good book like OCA Java SE 8 Programmer by mala gupta if you want to learn what's the norm for programmers who have jobs.

I'm going to learn a language to write a primarily GUI based program (standalone and compatible with windows/mac/linux ideally), but I'm not sure which would be best.

I've read suggestions online and apparently Java and C# are good for this. Which one would be better and is there a better language?

Why the actual fuck does it say I have installations going when trying install microsoft visual C++

I can have literally nothing else running and it just says I have other shit going on

This is the most frustrating shit

Fuck me I'm going to break my desk into pieces

Is thinkcentre decent enough for current gen gaming

i think C is rather complicated as a first language specially if you plan on learning by yourself

have you tried turning it off and on again ?

I just re-formatted so I have no reaction images

But I will end you

>get second hand PC
>clean all the dust out new cpu etc
>check the psu rating
>250W max
>check all my parts online
>recommend 270W min for everything at max load
i'm fucced aren't i

can get a decent PSU for 30-50€, you are not that fucced

>thenewboston

Looks good.

Which programming language should I start with as a beginner to get a feel for the discipline? And is there a way to play with the programs online?

Are CD rippers still a thing? I've got a ton of disks from the bargain bin that need ripping.

Nope, not unless you downloaded something and ran it.

Functions as objects makes algorithms much more generic: eg sort by ```reverse-emoji-alphabetical```

Give it a couple hours for all the caches to update.

Community college.

this is why PSU should be the first thing you consider when building or modifying a computer. the rest is just things that would be ideal besides basic stuff like making sure everything fits

you can get a higher wattage PSU if there's enough room in the case obviously. it might be awkward, especially if you have a case with everything sort of set up for a specific build

find the icdn on them and then google that, it will tell you the artist and album information
Now go to your favorite torrent site and search

Is the 1050ti worth the extra cost compared to the RX 460?

maybe you're installing 64bit on a 32bit? best i can think of

Sup Forums pls

>community college for programming learning

Fuck no. I had to take a programming class as perquisite for my certification and it was garbage. They'll have you pay out the ass for a book that has to be new because it's needed for a horrible online test taking platform.

Learning on youtube + actually starting projects will teach you more than a college class (with programming at least)
When I was in college the people in my class didn't learn anything because they didn't apply anything from the class to hobby projects.

>Which programming language should I start with as a beginner to get a feel for the discipline?
What do you want to do with the languages? Make online applications or desktop?

>And is there a way to play with the programs online?
Online compilers exist, look it up. But you're going to have to get an IDE if you want to actually run desktop/web applications.

Also, please read a book after watching thenewboston's tutorials. He doesn't teach things like proper naming conventions that well.

So I don't think I'm totally computer illiterate, but I'm lost when it comes to anything networking related.

I've been having some connection issues lately and wanted to try giving my isp a call. When I went to their website I found myself at a router log in page (pic related) instead of their website. This isn't my router, and my router's log in certainly doesn't work. When I try to connect to their website through a different connection (example my phone off wifi, or at work) it works just fine.

I'm not sure why this is, if its related to my connection issues or what. Should I call them and let them know this is happening?

Also this isp is a fairly small local company, the connection is wireless broadband. I live in the mountains so selection is limited.

I am honestly not that sure where my discipline should go.

I could either go for a Web Designer or a Software Developer path. Maybe even an Android development path. I have no idea where to start at all yet.

What does this little switch do on my RX 470?

Is there anything I can do in mpv to cover up these Japanese hardsubs? They make it hard to read the English subs and are just generally distracting.

Is there perhaps some way to tell mpv not to render a certain portion of the video so that nothing will appear there?

Anyone?

I am on W10 Pro Insider Preview Build 14965

has anyone had an issue like this before? I don't see anything scheduled to make this thing keep opening.

>hardsubs
Why do you think they call them HARDsubs?

I know what hardubs are. I know they're encoded onto the video itself and can't be disabled, but they are showing up on a particular part of the video where there is just a black bar, so if there was some way of making mpv simply not render that section of the video then they could be gotten rid of as though they were never there.

I'm guessing it's not possible but I'm asking in the hopes that it somehow is.

use the subtitle adjustment to move up eng subs, will at least alleviate the issue

firefox
ctrl i
media tab

btw you need to change the extension from htm to jpg.

probably nothing noticeable because it's a speaker

CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW

ctrl i opens up my bookmarks sidebar

Its a gaming PC, it doesn't have a password

How do I choose what Bitcoin wallet to use?

I have a project where I need to be able to receive Bitcoins, but I've never used them before. The page on bitcoin.org just lists the different choices without any explanation, and it's hard to find any unbiased report of their pros and cons.

I am interested in anonymity mostly. I'll most likely be accessing it from a Windows 7 machine.

Almost definitely not.

In theory it's possible, but that would be a waste of effort for a hacker. If they were able to get something downloaded and run on your computer, they wouldn't fuck around with your wifi--it would most likely be ransomware.

Hackers aren't just pranksters anymore--they pretty much just want money now. If they were able to get something running with admin privileges on your computer, it wouldn't just be breaking things on your network, it would be encrypting all your shit and demanding a ransom.

Simply put, yes.

The problem's on their end, not yours. Have your computer in front of you, and be ready to provide as many details as they want. The MAC address of your modem helps too.

Is there difference between 15$ 7.1 external sound card or 30$ one while they have same bitrate and number of inputs/outputs except software?

How can internals of sound card support only 5.1 but somehow re-seller makes it 7.1

Example CMI8738

Theyr web: 8738-LX/MX supports 6CH DAC 5.1 surround

but seller who uses it in pic related uses it for 7.1

so is there additional hardware or is it false 7.1

:^) I know that you can not tell me 100% without dismantling it but just tell me what is more probable

Not unless your monitor's a broken POS.

Try it both ways and compare on a couple of songs. If you can't tell the difference, it's not a problem. Any decent monitor should be fine.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/sRQLd6

Need to pick a motherboard anyone able to help? also how will linux run on this? (fedora or arch)

Jesus fuck I come back to Sup Forums after a few months away and this is what I fucking see?

I knew the Sup Forums user quality was going downhill, but I didn't know it was happening this fucking fast.

Listen, faggot:

>First of all, using a prebuilt PC at all is a retarded waste of money.
>Secondly, the model doesn't tell us shit. It's the processor, GPU, and amount of RAM that we need, and that's just for a basic idea.

Now shut the fuck up, and lurk fucking more!

I don't know about the sound, but I'd honestly be more worried about build quality. Doesn't matter if it has the same features, if it breaks in a week

Why is it called DDR4-3000 when the clock is 1000

Do I really have to go to my Bios to make the ram run at speed

I'm trying to figure out how many SSD's or HDD's my motherboard can have installed. What spec do I look for?

Also, what is the name for the wire needed to connect the SSD to a motherboard?

Yes

sata cable. you're limited by number of sata ports

I never abuse my stuff,it will just stand on the desk for years like everything I put there does.
I do not drink or eat behind pc either.
If It still manages to break[from overheat or something] then I get refund/new one

How do I structure a new Express.js app for an MVC pattern? I'm coming from Meteor. While it had a lot of drawbacks, it made it super clear and easy to understand which code runs on the client and which code runs on the server. Since I'm using a frontend component framework (Vue.js), I'm really unclear on this distinction.

Basically, where do I put my application code that isn't directly tied to frontend components?

Are M.2 SSD's faster than normal SSD's?

Yes but for normal use you will not notice the difference.

>normal use
What do you mean normal use?

Also, I'm going for the M.2 also for the easy install. I mean, it's installed by just slotting it into the PCI-E slot right?

If I upgrade my pirated Win8 to a legit Win10, will I be safe from the NSA?

hell no are you fucking retarded

Recommendations for programming and cs books?

You seem angry, friend. Have you tried taking those autism pills of yours?

My ISP provides a service where i can connect to almost every wifi of their company (using WPA2-Enterprise - AES) with my email as login and a unchangeable password they gave me.
Is this safe at all? looks like anyone connected could easily get my email.

>it's installed by just slotting it into the PCI-E slot right
its a different socket.
google M.2 before purchasing something your motherboard might not support you fucking idiot

What's a decent bluetooth stereo under $50? For a gift.

Everything I find is dinky, portable, battery-based stuff, pic related. I want something louder that plugs into the wall, without the expensive approach of a proper BT receiver + amp + speakers.

Maybe the small things sound ok? 10watt with 2 inch drivers seems like a joke.

So Windows 7 SP1 ,without any updates,just the service pack , has botnet crap?

it keeps happening

Can I use Ccleaner to run a 1-pass wipe on the free space of my SSD? That should be enough and just 1-pass will not do any damage right?

I've got pic related in my current setup. It's a pile of junk, and i'm a poorfag, so i plan on spending 300-400 dollars on a new mobo/ram/cpu combo. Is it too old to keep in my pc, or should i spend 50-70 bucks on a new gpu? probably the most graphics intensive game i'd want to play is skyrim or something like that, so would it work?

Thinking of buying a G-Sync monitor for my gtx 1060. Is it a meme or is it worth it?

It depends what you're upgrading from, and the game you have in mind.

i think not, but its propietary software so you never know for sure.
use WSUS Offline Updater and Ancille script and you shouldn't have any of the botnet crap.

Upgrading from 60 Hz monitor, pretty basic one. Hoping to run games like GTA/Witcher/Overwatch past 60 fps and I'd be paying the same price as buying a 144 Hz monitor