I've just moved to Mint from Ubuntu and it's so good holy fuck

I've just moved to Mint from Ubuntu and it's so good holy fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

genymotion.com/pricing-and-licensing/
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
packages.ubuntu.com/mdm
github.com/linuxmint/mdm
infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html
i.imgur.com/1462Bl.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

is this the new desktop thread

Use that shit for more than awhile before you say something like that

Never know what to expect with Linux

Stop liking Mint right now!

>I've just moved to Mint from Ubuntu and it's so good holy fuck- 3 posts and 1 image reply shown.
It's the best. Everythign just werks and there's no that retarded Unity DE that looks like african turd.

Yeah cinnamon is comfty

>cinnimon

I don't use Mint anymore but the only problem I had with Cinnamon was that I couldn't easily customize the panel transparency, what's your problem with it?

its not i3 or awesomewm

Oh, so you're autistic

a tiny bit but its not real bad

posting my desktop

Mind sharing the wallpaper?

It's literally the same shit

Still haven't moved on from being a gutless weeb lmao

OpenSUSE is better by every metric.

posting mine too

step up your chink game you're level 1 dude

if you had everything you would also have infinite space

too lazy to repeat the tests, the same shit over and over

it's literally just ubuntu with the cinnamon desktop wtf you talking about faggot lol kys smdh you could have saved yourself time and trouble and just kept ubuntu and put "sudo apt-get install cinnamon" or whatever the fuck it's called shit nigga you need jesus

except for usability

Not exactly, there are some subtle differences like for example checking hash and burning ISO to USB via just a right click without any third-party tools, and some people report a better OOB experience as well.

Also, with Unity you gotta install Unity Tweak Tools while you can just customize Cinnamon to a better degree without installing any extra stuff. Nemo is also a better file manager than Nautilus. Not saying you can't replace this stuff in Ubuntu but Mint just gives a better default experience in general.

JUST FUCKING INSTALL CINNAMON ON UBUNTU DONT REINSTALL A WHOLE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM SHIT NIGGA

Ubuntu Terminal: 'sudo apt-get install cinnamon-desktop-enviroment'

how do u run androshit apps under Linux?

Nice desktop 10/10

its in the image retard

genymotion is the best IMO

I've seen the name in the pic. but I can't find it:

genymotion.com/pricing-and-licensing/

french jews want money for it!

just register, the download button should appear after you login

Thanks user! Finally got it up and running!

I miss your Remilia desktops

How can you rice Mint? Would love to make it look similar to this

mint is great but hard as fuck to customize

I miss you Wilhem

it literally says right there

I think you are confusing me with another user... sorry

ricing is the mark of a NEET

daily reminder that linux mint may look nice for normies, but under the hood is a insecure pile of shit which is broken out of the box

>Mikoto
>Ryuuko

I don't care what you are using, you have good taste in my eyes.

s-sure I am footfag

inb4
>lies
>FUD
>meme
Sources:
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
packages.ubuntu.com/mdm
github.com/linuxmint/mdm

What exactly are you trying to do? Not hard to make Cinnamon look nice.

infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html

This reminds me of one of those mspaint comics where personified distros are just calmly discussing shit and then some other distro comes in to autistically rant

You mean this?

just tried cinnamon on ubuntu and it crashed within 30 seconds. had to take this barely recognizable screenshot from tty1 and pkill to fix it. posting this from unity

cinnamon the panels arnt very customizable and some icons and themes dont work with mint like they do on something like manjaro or arch

Yup.

For those of us who don't like fucking around with shit constantly its really breddy gud.

I don't really have any problems with mint, but why not just use ubuntu with cinnamon? That way you get more updated repos.

They just take the time to config and provide drivers for everything, and give a polished interface.

And it pays off.

What is it good at?

Well, apparently this user's shit broke while installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu
I guess it can get unstable for some people.

Cinnamon works fine with Debian as well.

Mint just provides a very comfy package.

Works on my machine.

funny thing
the gnu coreutils is part of the base group in arch

Unfortunately to make good software it has to not crash within 30 seconds on EVERYONE'S machine.

Mind sharing that wallpaper?

Never had any problems

fuck off Joey, you autistic troll.

Same OS with different window dressing, retard.

Arch Terminal: sudo pacman -S cinnamon.
UBUNTU IS MEANT TO BE EASIER REEE.

Isn't this a meme? Wasn't Mint cool a while ago, and now it's shit because of package overlap issues and other weird stuff?

If I understand the situation correctly, it was cool a while ago, then it was shit because of package overlap issues and people misunderstanding the update policies, and now it's mostly cool again because most of the package overlap issues have been fixed. But plenty of people still misunderstand the update policies, probably because of the overly dramatic language Mint uses for them.

what's package overlap?

>I moved from Ubuntu to renamed Ubuntu

Even feeetards are reddit tier now

Cinnamon is fine but mint is retarded

I'm tired of people thinking that distros are their DEs

post this fluid druid pls

>5.9ghz

Yeah, you have to mess with the entire theme for something as simple as that.

Better OOB experience, better DE, and really good for windows noobs because of the design and how it just werks.

Hey OP, I installed the Numix icon pack, but how do I change the icons color to red?

t. someone who never used Mint

But its just goog old arc + numix.

Its says NumixDarkRed in his screenshot, user. Its a different icon pack.

Mint with MATE or Cinnamon
OR
OpenSUSE with KDE

Otherwise, will never have the ultimate experience with linux
t. someone who tried almost every single distro (ubuntu/arch/gentoo/fedora/etc.)

I also tried out almost every distro ever since I've gone full Linux and I always come back to mint.

I used mint for a continuous 4 years, the same installation (no refresh install), never broke, always update/upgrade smoothly, and my usage is intensive (some programming as well as virtualization etc)
All other distros there is always something stupid or will broke out of nowhere (except OpenSUSE and debian stable)
So, if anyone new to Linux, I directly send them to mint.

your anime girl look a bit old for a desktop

i.imgur.com/1462Bl.jpg

> I am not linux, so bear with me if this sounds stupid

So, there are multiple update sources for most distros. Mint is basically Ubuntu with a different DE. What the Mint developers did was name some packages the same names as packages in, say, the Debian update sources.

From what I understand, if you were to, in a terminal, say, "apt-get install *software*" and it were to do so, and say *software* was dependent on superLinxPackage, there was a chance superLinuxPackage existed in both the Mint update channel and in the Debian one.

Package managers aren't equipped to handle this, and just chose one, but if it chose wrong, *software* wouldn't work because it would think it had all it's dependencies, but in fact, it would not.

The bigger issue here is that, from what I understand, it showed the novice and reckless approach of the Mint developers, and kind of got Mint branded as a child's distro that only really existed for the eye candy, while babies "developed" for it behind the scenes.

I think this is a better summary, I didn't realize it was here

Thanks user, these things are so hard to keep up with.

I just moved so macOS from Mint and it's so good holy fuck

>installing a whole new OS
>instead of just apt install cinnamon a desktop
>trashing the hard drive that hard for no reason

Why are distro hoppers so retarded?

I was just thinking about doing this the other day. I was going to download Mac osSeira on my wife's MacBook Pro to install on my desktop. Did you pull from a legit source, or from somewhere else?

Former linuxfag here. I only use OSX now. It's the best.

My boss bought me a macbook pro 2016, so... yea it's legal
So much stuff is different. But I'm starting to get used to it

because Mint is optimized for Cinnamon which was made by Mint team. You want budgie, use solus. you want cinnamon, use mint. you want unity (lol), use ubuntu

It's cute, but man that RAM usage, that default amount of packages, whoa.

Guess I should pump up some Arch optimization soon if I'm to use this T420 properly.

>packages

Wow what the fuck? Can you resort htop by mem%?

this is the most obvious paid shill that I have ever seen in my life. the internet is dead im going to the forest.

oh, I was hoping to get a credible source that didn't require me doing anything more than using my wife's computer. Thanks for nothing, user.

Buy a mac. It's one of the best purchases I ever made.

*sigh*

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not going to do that. I'm not paying that much for under-powered/outdated hardware that I can't upgrade myself.

Oops, wrong screenshot, sorry.

Ohhhhh it's Google. That starts to explain things a bit.