/hpg/ Headphone General

Grado ducks edition.

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA
amazon.de/gp/product/B0082JFKPQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF
amazon.de/AEG-LB-4711-Lautsprecher-schwarz/dp/B005QMV5RE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1481904622&sr=8-5&keywords=lautsprecher 200 watt
amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFDT894
ebay.com.au/itm/391507605337
ebay.com/itm/Headband-Comfort-Cushion-Pad-For-Sennheiser-HD-Grado-SR-Sony-Denon-Headphone-US-/142028156922?hash=item211189affa:g:QXoAAOSw44BYO9Ma
amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00L61YYXQ
gyazo.com/4540c3a1c501635a44712ae7477a103c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

/hpg/, I'm confused.
I don't get how """""""7.1""""""""" surround works for vidya and headphones. Like, the game gives your drivers 2 outputs. How the fuck does the 7.1 software/driver determine what is in front/back/up/down?

It seems pointless to me. If the game itself gives virtual surround then you don't need drivers, and if it doesn't, then the software has no way of determining direction other than left/right, right? The surround driver doesn't magically step between the game's audio engine and it's outputs, right?

The only real circumstance where I can kind of see it working is if the game has an option for proper 7.1 [as in proper 7 channel home theater set up] output, but not virtual surround, which is fucking stupid.

at least you can get free shipping

How radical does this man look

How hard would it be to re-cable my Grado 225?

The cable cuts out unless I hold it a certain way. I have a soldering iron and a hot glue gun. Just what cable do I buy and how do I open it?

Whats more comfortable X2 or K702 or HD600?

I found SHURE SE215 for suspiciously cheap. Are there any telltale signs in the build / packaging that I'm dealing with a chinese knock-off?

すごいな

Respectfully requesting the webm of the fat autist plugging headphones into a phone and listens to something while he squirms in pain. I will return the favor please.

It's probably the jack, which is an insanely easy fix.

All you need is a 3.5 or 6.3 [your choice] jack, a soldering iron, and like 5 minutes of time.

Cut the cable, strip the wires, burn off any enamel if there is any. Solder on the new jack, and crimp them down with some needlenose. Attach sleeve. EZ.

You might want to get some heatshrink to if you want it to look noice.

You know only have 2 ears? Which literally means sound is only 2.0 so to say.

It works by providing louder sound to one ear and lower sound to the other in the other direction to simulate the direction, like sound would do to you in real life.

X2 or K702, but X2 has far better sound imo

just got etymotic hf5 for 110 usd. how did I do?

It's not the jack. The problem is right where the cable splits into two. The two cables have been bent too many times exiting that piece and are falling apart.

I think Grados will repair it for you.

Now, where do I cop the duck earpads?

Oh. Not quite as easy of a fix, but is still entirely do-able. You can either try and make your own splitter, or you can just buy a splitter headphone cable, the type you can get for HE 400i and HD 600's, and cut the tips off, and resolder them onto the grados cable.
You'll want stress relief crimp things and probably some heatshrink.

You can often buy IEM's themselves for cheaper than an actual cable, and just salvage the cable from them.
Making the splitter yourself is harder but would be cheaper.

Think you have to make them yourself. I think they're dish scrubber pads in the shape of ducks that someone cut into grado cups.

You have no idea of what I'm talking about. Please don't reply again.

I was just describing how sound literally works for our ears. Please show evidence if you want to change the physical laws.

It's just marketing

Except you're wrong. Your ears aren't two microphones on two exactly flat planes. You can hear when shit is infront or behind. You can't do that with headphones without virtual surround.

What you replied had no relevance to what I even posted in the first place. Stop trying to be smart. You're clearly a dumb cunt.

But you can you dumbfuck yourself, ever hear of binaural recordings? Literally obliterates dolby atmos levels of performance and provides almost real life sound.

youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Now please fuck off since youre literally too dumb to understand how headphones work

I'm not talking about """"""""7.1"""""" headphones. I know they're useless shit.

But just the actual software/drivers aren't. They serve a purpose if they're actually implemented. I think to sum it up is why does everyone fawn over that shit when only like 4 games in existence actually can use it. Most games that offer proper 7.1 channel support also offer proper virtual surround.

ARE YOU FUCKING DENSE
I'M TALKING ABOUT VIDDY GAME VIRTUAL SOUND
NOT AUDIO RECORDINGS
YOU FUCKING SPUD
LEARN TO READ
jesus fuck

ARE YOU FUCKING DENSE THERE IS NO WAY THAT VIDYAGAMES COULD SIMULATE 2 MICROPHONES AND THE DAMPENING OF THE HEAD. HOW COULD THEY? ITS NOT LIKE THEY MAKE SOUND MOVE IN 3D SPACE OR ANYTHING ALREADY

WHAT IS THIS MAGIC CALLED STEREO SOUND? REAL SOUND IS ONLY MONO. BURN THE WIZARDS

>ARE YOU FUCKING DENSE THERE IS NO WAY THAT VIDYAGAMES COULD SIMULATE 2 MICROPHONES AND THE DAMPENING OF THE HEAD.
Nobody is arguing that point. Current virtual surround for vidya isn't even attempting to mimic binural. Virtual surround is about locational imaging and distance. Binural is going for realism.

>HOW COULD THEY?
Programming, it's been done.

>ITS NOT LIKE THEY MAKE SOUND MOVE IN 3D SPACE OR ANYTHING ALREADY
They can, but that again isn't what current virtual surround does for the most part. Proper 3D sound is actually /more/ confusing for the human ear than simulated 3D sound.

Stop going off topic, or stop replying. Please.

The whole post was sarcasm you literal retard

Ok, I have no idea where else to post this so bare with me here.
>ib4 not your personal tech support bla bla

I'm looking to step up my audio game in terms of speakers, not headphones. I want to get the Pioneer A-10-K (2x 50 watts / 4 Ohm) Stereo amplifyer.
amazon.de/gp/product/B0082JFKPQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

But the speakers I want (AEG LB 4711) are 500 wats at 8 Ohms...
amazon.de/AEG-LB-4711-Lautsprecher-schwarz/dp/B005QMV5RE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1481904622&sr=8-5&keywords=lautsprecher 200 watt

>Will I be able to drive these speakers at a decent sound and bass quality?
>If not, what Speakers should I get instead? If possible ruffly the same size.

...I'm gonna get banned for the /r/ing won't I?

took these out after awhile and how are they still so goat?

the pads on mine have fallen apart though. are any of the aftermarket pads decent at retaining the original sound without disintegrating within a year? no memeshit. i have the dt 250 pads already and know better.

If something sound natural then there isn't really much you can innovate anymore to make it better.

That, and sound is very subjective.

>SUHRE SE215
There's your clue right there.

Looking to buy at ath-avc500. They are 73$ on amazon. Are they worth

Is there a possibility for my K712 having been modified or faulty or something like that? I bought them new form thomann and the reason I'm asking this is for the overwhelming ammounts of bass that this produces. People say open backs can't produce enough bass like closed back but this thing goes all the way to 30hz or even less and manages to rumble my hears. I know there's a bass mod for the K700s line, I wonder if mine has that sticker removed.

I didn't like the 702s too much for the lack of bass and slightly sibilant highs on some tracks. When I returned them for the 712 I was expecting a small 3db increase in general bass (like advertised), instead this feels like 10db increase

Is the HD 598 a good versatile headphone?

I want something less than $200 that I can carry around and use at home with my fiio e10k amp

Is it possible to use it when I'm out and about? Obviously it's not ideal with a 5ft cable but still

I've listened to EDM, techno, house and shit like that on them so yea I'd say they're pretty damn versatile since their strength is in the mids and smooth highs

The HD598SE is black and has a 3ft cable, those are not portables though

That's some money laundering operation or someone playing with the html

>EDM, techno, house
Normalfag taste on electronic music

get into my level next age

bass is only good for massaging and out of body experience

idm

>Budget
$100-200
>Location
USA
>Source
Laptop
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Maximum Comfy
>Sound signature
Neutral is good, but not picky
>Past headphones
I use a SHP9500s at home, and I love the comfort level.

I picked up a 598c for work and like the sound quality over the SHP9500s, but it's a bit tight and tiring. Any suggestions on something closed and comfortable?

Thinking about a Beyerdynamic DT-250-80OHM or M-Audio HDH50.

Gp for the dt250

>I can hear light crackling with no audio playing

My headphones are dying aren't they?

So my dad got me a pair of headphones for christmas and I was asking for a microphone but the guy in the store told him they don't sell stand alone mics anymore.
The headphones were supercheap and terrible on everything, hi res audio sounds better on my desktop speakers than on the headphones and the mic (the thing I wanted) makes everything sound like it was recorded through a carboard tube.

I'm extreamly dissapointed but I don't want to tell my dad because he'll get angry

>My headphones are dying aren't they?
How do you figure your headphones emit sounds on their own?

>Budget
$100-150
>Location
USA
>Source
phone and Laptop
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy able to wear for a few hours
>Sound signature
Not sure If it helps listen to bunch of classical music.
>Past headphones
just ones that came with my iphones.

Tell him you needed something different and go change them

Mdr v6 of k553 pro if you dont intend to go outside with them

V6 or k553 pro *

thank you but what would you recommend doe going outside with.

the mdr-v6, the coiled cable is the only drawback the k553 pro are really big

Just got some monoprice dj for $15

Will the mdr cable work on my phone?

yeah, they will work on anything

For my qc25 which replacement wire should I buy since i lost mine? Can someone recommend me a link please I don't want to buy cheap quality as I have bought those before and only last about a year.

Srs question

I know you guys don't like bose but my house is rlly loud i only bought it for noise cancelling

(indian family always yelling on phone and being loud in general)

Looking for a wireless headset for around $50. Yeah, I know wired > wireless, but with the way my setup is, having a wire is really awkward. No, there isn't any way to fix it.

Any recommendations?

I know wireless headphones a shit but if you had to pick one (less than $250) then what would you get?

Aren't the drivers exactly the same? From my understanding the only difference was the memfoam pads so the db increase depends on how fucked up your head is.

I just ordered a pair of AirPods. How fucked am I Sup Forums? They just seem convenient as fuck to have no cable.

I can't get over how douchey this guy looks in these promo shots

am i supposed to check all the boxes? if i play a 96khz song will it automatically play the song in 96khz and then drop down to 44.1khz for the next song?

HM5

>I'm only acting stupid, I swear!

Is there a way to increase headphone's impedance through external means? I know cables with higher resistance exist but is there anything else?

Why do you want to do that?

>check all the boxes
Yes.

Curiosity, I wonder if it could improve sound quality for low impedance headphones and a decent amp.

it won't.

Country it is made?

Fuck Off

You got me

Does this animu grill have good taste in headphones?

Can we post about speakers here if there is no speaker general?

I hope so because those are the ones I'm getting.

That 2D girl fell for a deprecated meme

>ruffly

recable is stupid easy, the housing breaks into 3 pieces and the wires can by unsoldered from the driver. It's so easy you should spend money on decent cabling and a jack to really pimp them out.

also make the cable single sided and detachable while you're at it.

Goddamn, why do grados look like medieval torture devices?

There should be a general buy guide chart, there would be less repost.

Looking for a pair of headphones under $50~. Preferably closed, with high comfortably, and loud fun noise for the purpose of long sessions of video/gaming entertainment.

Is the Monoprice Premium Hi-Fi 8323 with Geekria cloth headband a good choice?

those are really good for 15 dollars desu senpai

The earpads are worse than the heabdand padding. Get some HM5 pads
amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFDT894
and one of these
ebay.com.au/itm/391507605337

I did that to my 8323 [and replaced the drivers] and i love em.

>next age
Probably dolphin noises in tunnels

US

This?
ebay.com/itm/Headband-Comfort-Cushion-Pad-For-Sennheiser-HD-Grado-SR-Sony-Denon-Headphone-US-/142028156922?hash=item211189affa:g:QXoAAOSw44BYO9Ma

Are these better than the wool?
amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00L61YYXQ

Slovakia

And K702? Country is that made if you remember?

I used to have these. Worked wonderfully until they got ran over by a minivan during a road trip.

No idea, was months ago

X2 but they are all comfortable, HD600 has stronger clamping force but that can be fixed and it weakens overtime, I'd get the best sounding headphone to your preferences. Want neutral? HD600. Want 'fun' and bassy? X2. K702 isn't worth it.

Excellent.

She probably likes BBC.

>buy USB DAC
>still getting coil whine on speakers
How?

You're not crazy. I think the same thing. Proof gyazo.com/4540c3a1c501635a44712ae7477a103c

Return it. Does your PC have optical out?

get better speakers

Lemme explain it for you.

All K7 series use the same driver, but the following ones are identical to each other:

K701 = K702 = Q701

K702 Anniversary Edition = K712 = K7XX

The differences between the latter and the former are that the latter has memory foam pads which allows for a better seal on the head, and it has been modified internally to produce a greater bass output.

The former ones are known for not sealing too well on some listeners hence why some say they've got no bass.

In my opinion, something ideal would be the K702 with the memory pads and WITHOUT the internal modification that exists on the latter models.

Page not found

I removed the foams inside the cups covering the driver and the boomyness reduced a lot

Ground loop maybe?

(fyi, i have no idea what a ground loop is but I've had similar problems and google says that might be it)

Tends to be a bassy hum, coil whine is different.

Only way to surely bypass it is to use optical.

I've had this happen across two separate computers (that used the same sound card)

Thought it was the sound card. Got a DAC. Still happening. Using unbalanced RCA. This only happens on the monitors and not the headphones that came from the same sound card and DAC. I also have a mixer that goes to the monitors that uses balanced cables and there's no whine. I'm thinking I need to use balanced cables on my DAC? This shit has followed me around forever and the only thing that hasn't changed is the fact that I use RCA to the monitors.

why do you need such things when all you need are these? are you poor?

Is it a bassy hum? You can try a isolator if that's the case?

Also did you troubleshoot it with different devices? Like a laptop (try the laptop plugged and unplugged).

It could be your house's wiring at fault.

you have a ground loop, the bane of unbalanced inputs. Google it.