WhatsApp: Embrace the botnet version

Apparently a guy on Sup Forums made a WhatsApp group for you guys to hang out on. Talk. And basically shitpost. So if you're not one of those
>If they have my number they'll rape me fags
Come on in
chat.whatsapp.com/AKlwF7UP120C8A1RhLm33g

Other urls found in this thread:

telegram.me/joinchat/CEYFOT4ubYFCvkt5nkz7-w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not giving my phone number to worthless subhumans

Get in here faggots

What? People still use whatsapp when telegram is around?

telegram is for pervs and outcasts

not him, but actually I just installed telegram because I wanted a lightweight messenger. Fucking facebook messenger takes up almost 0.5Gb

Whatsapp is very similar to Telegram, if you've never tried it. Just as lightweight, although with fewer features. Fb mesenger is just trash.

Make it a Wire group and maybe I'll join (probably not).
I use Whatsapp, but I'm not giving my phone number to randoms.

Last time I checked Telegram doesn't even support calling (either voice or video).

wow, you're right, I assumed Telegram would have voice chat. WhatsApp isn't too big. The fuck kind of market is Telegram going after

So anybody actually in that group?

why go to whatsapp when we have Sup Forums

Just curious if meme or not

I would expect if you went onto that group you would just see messages fly by at an alarming rate as everyone, exhilarated by their new unique usernames, spew out as many memes as they possibly can. Like a twitch chat feed but worse

go see for yourself ;^)

so its for us?

B..B..But muh privacy

And fb bought what's app for 19b, so I don't see why anyone on Sup Forums takes it seriously, I only use it because I can't get any friends to switch to something not in a botnet.

sorry OP, the official Sup Forums chat is on Telegram
join @TerryADavis

chat link
telegram.me/joinchat/CEYFOT4ubYFCvkt5nkz7-w

>Apparently a guy on Sup Forums
what a longwinded way of saying "I", OP.
>So if you're not one of those "if they have my number they'll rape me" fags
i don't think anyone's worried about that except maybe you, OP. my first thought about this group is that the sort of people that would gravitate toward a "new age" social Sup Forums chat room (slack, whatsapp, etc...) are probably abject social failures AND either too young to know what IRC is *or* too stupid to make it work.

and yeah, people on IRC are a little obnoxious too, but it's mitigated by them not being complete fucking idiots. IRC isn't hard to use, but the learning curve is just steep enough to shed trashy millennials who exclusively use their phones. a whatsapp group plays specifically to that audience, so i'm not just getting the cringey folks of Sup Forums — i'm getting the cringey folks who aren't smart enough to use IRC.

wait people still use telegram when signal is around?

>What a longwinded way of saying "I"
Nah. Wasn't me
>Something about IRC
I don't care. WhatsApp is easier.

>I don't care. WhatsApp is easier.
there's literally almost no way you could've confirmed my criticism more succinctly.

Whatsapp is utter rubbish because it's tied to a phone number (which is tied to a phone carrier). It's an absolute regression even from primitive networks like AIM or MSN, which didn't care about your service provider or device.

>folks who aren't smart enough to use IRC

That's quite a low barrier. Maybe people don't use it just because they find no use for it?

There is always a use for IRC one way or another

IRC is a shit chat protocol. I used it for years, but stopped using it for a few reasons

There's no way to leave messages for friends across different servers in a consistent manner, some servers have a bot that'll do it, some have nothing

In the same vein, there's no way to reserve nicknames in a consistent manner across different servers, and other sundry network services vary wildly.

I'm sure that some sperg will come along and tell me how he uses the weechat android client to connect to his VPS weechat proxy and that it all works nice, but I tell him FUCK YOU NO IT IS CONVOLUTED AS SHIT, creating and distributing SSL certificates is not a nice, seamless process. no, the commands are not hard. Yes, it is a pain in the ass!

A chat protocol needs to
>be simple to register a unique identifier that's universal across the domain space
>have network caching, if I'm talking to you on my phone on a train, and go through a tunnel on the train, I shouldn't lose any messages, nor miss what any of the channels have said while I was out of network range
>allow multiple synchronised chat sessions from different clients
>end-to-end encryption would be nice too

>That's quite a low barrier.
it's high enough, which is my point. apparently you just need the water to be ankle-deep to filter out people that don't know how to google or whatnot.

>Maybe people don't use it just because they find no use for it?
i don't think i understand. i was assuming that the premise of this conversation is that people are looking for some kind of social/water-cooler outlet, and if that's the case then that's the use for IRC.

as for , this is the stuff i mean. setting up a persistent client is slightly too much work for a dedicated phone user, but if i see someone online 24/7 but only actually active during a normal window of hours, my hunch is that they know enough to know how to remote into a machine and resume a session, since that's usually what's happening. if you know that much, then there's a much much higher chance that talking to you won't be painfully frustrating.

maybe this is just me being interested in people that know a bit about software, and wanting to move away from the sort of content on Sup Forums that amounts to an autism support group (grinding teeth over facebook and twitter) or gaming rig build advice.

My God, just keep whatsapp for calls and telegram for chat.
Why add telegram? It has bots with tons of functionality, it has collection of usermade and uncensored stickers. You have the camera that can turn video into gif built in. It is just a really nice and snappy program overall

Well, I wanted to install it, but it's only on the Google® Play™ Store.
Tl:dr: >no apk, no download

You can get silence in fdroid, it's a free software version of signal

I know but it makes it a lot easier, specially when you can bring you number when changing carrier. My friends have the same number for over 10 years.
By having their phone number you get their whatsapp at the same time (and telegram too if they have it). You don't have to ask for an ID just to talk to them on whatsapp. Also, we don't have to use stupid IDs anymore like bob91supercoolid.

I stay classy much prefereable to use IRC

I joined and within 5 minutes some guy with a Spanish accent called me and started telling me about gentoo or something fuck this shit.

>don't have to use stupid IDs anymore like bob91supercoolid

No, just stupid IDs like +15659886355.

Wire has a good approach, it lets you use various IDs (phone numbers, nick names or email addresses).

Restricting it to phone numbers only is stupid. Also Whatsapp literally can't be used without the phone and the webUI is limited.

>No, just stupid IDs like +15659886355.
Not even that. We only see the name we give to ours contacts. The phone number is like a database id, you ask once and never see it again. Much like steam id, but instead of seeing the name people give to themselves, you see the name you give to them on your phone.
Another good thing, attaching communication to the real phone number makes people think twice before giving their whatsapp contact to strangers. This way they managed to make users keep their networking "private" much like they did before all that internet communication became mainstream. This makes fake accounts harder on whatsapp.
Can't you see that my gramma can use whatsapp without learning any new computer trick??? It's so much easier.

>Not even that. We only see the name we give to ours contacts.
Yes, but to add a new contact you need to add his phone number, which is even worse than adding some unique nick name.
What name you see displayed after that depends on the client app.

>This makes fake accounts harder on whatsapp.
Fair enough, but that's literally the only good thing about that system.
Fake accounts were never a problem for me on Steam, Skype, Wire... you always get asked if you want to approve a new contact.

>Yes, but to add a new contact you need to add his phone number.
I would add the phone number anyway. The strong side of this ideia is that when you install whatsapp you get a bunch of contacts from the beginning. It didn't change how people did things, it only added features to people's lives.
Sometimes we have to dumb down things to have a large user base.

Continuing. Don't forget that it was created to substitute sms messages. It did am amazing job. I remember their slogan was something like "send text messages for free".
Today every person, everybody, everyone uses it. The mayor, the president, hookers, you university professor, judges, celebrities, your made working on your house. Only teenager and young adults would chat only using skype, steam, msn messenger, icq (remember those?). Now look how many different people use it.

>I would add the phone number anyway.
I wouldn't, at least not always (case in point: OP).
Frankly the sooner we get rid of phone numbers the better.
It's normie-friendly, I'll give you that. But it comes at the cost of losing nerd-friendliness and anonymity.

>WhatsApp a bit privacy aware
No one on Sup Forums mentions it

>present day
>WhatsApp loses people due to their new big brother tier changes to privacy policies
>Threads on Sup Forums to use it
Its like WhatsApp has a shitton of shills or FBI is trying to bait Sup Forums

>malware exists that can fuck up your phone by just receiving a txt message
>give it your phone number to random strangers Sup Forums
Yeah, surely nothing bad can come from this.

>pepephone
>doxer en lulzsec

my sides