Linux unironically treats threads like processes

>Linux unironically treats threads like processes

What a garbage OS!

Other urls found in this thread:

nommu.org/memory-faq.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>treats threads like processes
And what do you suppose is wrong with this?

Hi, welcome to OSs 101.

I've completed a 3rd year operating systems paper at university and got A.
For our 'big project', we extended Minix in some way, and the thing I implemented was multithreading, and I did it as lightweight processes.

You're going to need to provide an actual argument.

Could you explain the difference (if any) between threads and processes? (Not the same guy)

>the way I did some homework in undergrad is the professional way to do it
You're going to need to spend the next 20 something years working in actual operating systems engineering like I did back in the VMS days.

I hope your tuition wasn't expensive, son.

You're gonna enjoy the real world.

A process has its own text segment, data segment, process ID, entry in the kernel's tables or whatever (file descriptor table, scheduler, whatever the fuck).
When a process is forked, it may still share its text segment with its parent, but the data section is copied, and it gets its own new entires in whatever tables the kernel has.
A thread is different, in that it shares its text segment and data segment with its parent. All it gets is its own runtime stack, and entry in the scheduler. It shares its heap, file descriptor and whatever with the "parent".
Obviously this is a simplified view, but that's the broad fundamentals.

Nah, it was pretty cheap. I'm not some dumb American who spends shitloads on tertiary education.
Plus I also had some scholarships.

Have you been an OS dev for 20 years?
Anyway, I'm not claiming that threads as lightweight processes are perfect, but I still want to hear your arguments against it.

omg this comic is fucking obscure lolololol

But because of that linux is:
Much faster than windows
Crashes do not even cause a whole system restart
Updates rarely require a system reboot (GL with your windows 10 updates motherfucker)
You are a faggot

>Have you been an OS dev for 20 years?
>Anyway, I'm not claiming that threads as lightweight processes are perfect, but I still want to hear your arguments against it.
How about you go fork yourself

FreeBSD is faster than both, kys

Yeah, too bad it has no softwares and cuck license..

Don't all processes share a heap anyway?
I don't understand.

>what is virtual memory?

How do you feel about people pursuing journalism degrees writing dissertations on things like "diversity in the gaming industry"?

damn I've never seen OP get shattered so quickly and thoroughly

I don't know much about the way Linux handles processes and threads but judging by how pathetically few arguments OP has and the simple, logical case brought against it by other anons ITT, I guess ol' Torvalds got it right. Never been so glad my threads are being treated as processes. GET IN HERE LINUS WE DID IT!

>I'm a swine, but if you don't cast pearls before me I'll assume you're wrong and I'm right
lmao

>homework is an argument
lmao

Practical experience is an argument, insults are not.

>wanting useless distinctions an additional api clutter when a process can just be as lightweight as a thread
t. StartAThreadYesAThreadEx(&dklsjaf, NULL, NULL, 0, 0, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);

VMS is entirely an example of pointless complexity and ill-considered design.

ITT:

>how to win a discussion without being right
>let me tell you what is and what is not an argument
>hot opinions

Wow, you are a goddamn fucking idiot who's never done nothing with computers but play video-games!

>faster
>with no software to run on it

Of course.

I don't understand this thread or anything in it.

These are all garbage and the "artist" should be ashamed and nuke his whole site.

Someone's upset.

Plan 9 is how you write an OS.

will OP ever live this humiliation down? will OP ever recover?

yeah god damn these fucking suck

>VMS
>wildly successful and widely used
>innovated the OS field in numerous ways and influenced all subsequent OSes

>Plan 9
>never left the drawing board
>fell into almost complete oblivion

Sure thing, kid.
Sure thing, kid.

I think we can all agree that the one true innovation worth perusing is TempleOS YOU CIA NIGGERS

wow, it's almost as if processes sharing memory spaces and threads are the effectively the same fucking thing!

What is it? Well, it's when the computer uses hard disk space as RAM. Why did you quote that post?

Guys, you idiots. Lightweight processes are not processes. Lightweight processes are how this has been done since at least SunOS

Seriously, pretty much anything most people are going to have to work with is either Windows, or an OS that uses lightweight processes. It's a tried and true method that's good enough for... Pretty much anything. I seriously doubt I'll ever touch a VMS machine unless I explicitly learn VMS to try to get jobs off old people(and that does not sound fun).

implying you're even allowed to see what the childish windows code looks like. only top level pajeets get to work with that trash

Not him but the difference between a thread and a process is that a thread shares the same address mappings as it's parent process/thread.

what are you trying to say here? Extending minix looks pretty good on a resume unless you're attempting to get a dumb pajeet job

>Crashes do not even cause a whole system restart
>Updates rarely require a system reboot
These have absolutely nothing to do with how Linux does multithreading.

That's because it's not a thread, it's a process.

First year undergrad CS faggot, everyone

Dunno, Linux ones are kinda cute.
Maybe I just love penguins.

process is a collection of threads

No a process is a collection of lightweight processes

That's also possible, but still, in relation to each other processes are a superset of what a thread does

Required reading for Linux systems programmers.

nommu.org/memory-faq.txt

underrated