Thinking about installing Linux again for the fuck of it. I honestly was not a fan of Unity when I had Ubuntu...

Thinking about installing Linux again for the fuck of it. I honestly was not a fan of Unity when I had Ubuntu, I really like cinnamon though.
So should I install Ubuntu and install cinnamon or just use Linux Mint?

I heard some bad things about Linux Mint so that is somewhat telling me to steer away from it.

Also
Cinnamon Ricing?

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
packages.ubuntu.com/mdm
github.com/linuxmint/mdm
infoworld.com/article/3035895/linux/linux-mint-site-hacked-modified-isos-with-backdoor-distributed.html
infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
github.com/horst3180/arc-theme
github.com/horst3180/arc-firefox-theme
github.com/horst3180/arc-icon-theme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

Go with Mint 18.1 . Save yourself the hassle.

Yea I'll do that I guess. Any security concerns or anything I should do after installation?

Just encrypt your home folder during the install like normal and make a good password.

Alright thanks, I got it.

Just need to figure out how to rice it, I did it pretty easily on Ubuntu but I have no idea how to do it on Mint.

Debian + cinnamon

>Debian
I don't know about that user.

Don't do it. While it can be faster, it has a bigger learning curve.

try installing kubuntu directly

Yea I know, and I am not so skilled at Linux either, pretty much a noob.

Why Kubuntu?

Kubuntu = BUGRADISE!

I am using openSuSE Leap 42.2 and it's perfectly stable. It goes with pretty much every interface you can think of including cinnamon. But installing it is a little bit frustrating compared to ubuntu + I don't suggest having it in dual boot mode with windows since suse happens to fuck the windows efi files or the mbr, I don't know. I have a small partitions with ubuntu as reserve OS and I use it's own grub to switch between it, suse and windows.

Fuck it I guess I could go with Kubuntu.

I think OpenSUSE is cool but I rather not have any issues with my system.

If you really want to try KDE you can try with kubuntu, but be ready for a lot of bugs. There is also mint with kde, which sounds more stable than kubuntu to me, but I don't know many people using it. There is also debian with kde, but I know absolutely nothing about it.
While opensuse (I use it with kde) is the most stable of them all, It's really frustrating installing it and in the end it's a one step harder to work with compared to ubuntu derivatives.
As I said, suse fucked up my windows once, very very bad, but It might be because of my poor experience with it. Anyway if you decide to try it, get ready by reading some information on google before installing,

Honestly I didn't even want KDE, would be cool but I really wanted Cinnamon.

Does Kubuntu really have a lot of bugs?

Yes and not. It depends on your computer and a lot more, but it's notorious for being a very buggy flavour of ubuntu. Well, it's still used by a lot of people, meaning that it's usable. I have never used it for long, but if you have problems at least the forums are full of answers you can use to fix them (if possible).By the way you can install both cinnamon and kde on simple ubuntu. If you don't have much experience or will to tweak around (which is understandable) your best option is probably mint.
You can just get a flash drive and put a live version of mint or mint-kde on it and see how it works. In the end you can also have both kde and cinnamon on mint, but I don't really suggest having multiple desktop environments. There are conflicts between them and it will probably lead to atleast something small not working properly if not worse.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that even if kubuntu has bugs, it's still popular and an usable distro in the end.

I would like to install Cinnamon in Ubuntu and remove Unity. I actually installed Cinnamon when I had Ubuntu a few months back but I don't know how to remove.

Anyways thanks user.

I have also tried such thing and searched for answers. Exactly with cinnamon and unity. But a lot of people suggested not to touch the unity if I am not familiar with what I was doing (and I wasn't... I'm not even now). Unity comes with a lot of software and other small and big stuff which are directly responsible for most of the things happening in ubuntu. It's possible to remove it, but it's probably not a good idea.

Cinnamon themes are not really difficult to modify if you know CSS.

Install Ubuntu minimal and install the cinnamon desktop afterwards. It won't work as well as just installing Mint, though.

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
packages.ubuntu.com/mdm
github.com/linuxmint/mdm
infoworld.com/article/3035895/linux/linux-mint-site-hacked-modified-isos-with-backdoor-distributed.html
infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

tl;dr get ubuntu

Fuck it man, I think I am just gonna use regular Ubuntu.

Not a bad idea. How would I install it though?

Yea deleting my Mint ISO as we speak. Fuck that, I rather not be compromised.

If you want KDE, install KDE neon, not Kubuntu.

> KDE neon
Never heard of it before.

Bump

>Yea deleting my Mint ISO as we speak. Fuck that, I rather not be compromised.
If you didn't download it back in February then chances are you won't be compromised but okay

Then what the fuck was the point of linking all of that.

The guy posts the links whenever Mint is mentioned on this board

If you're really afraid then just install Ubuntu and install the Cinnamon DE shortly after

Should be as simple as putting:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon

and

sudo apt update && sudo apt install cinnamon

into terminal. Then logging out and selecting the Cinnamon DE on the login screen.

Install Ubuntu or Fedora with dash to dock.

just get xfce and leave everything default honestly. everything is just fucking dogshit fucking broken incompatible.

hoping wayland will make the DE's more organized and more conforming to the spec

Yea that is what I did before when I had Ubuntu.
If the site is good and everything is back to normal then I assume it should be fine to get Mint.

Looks pretty good. I remember putting my dock on the bottom when I had Ubuntu, I wouldn't mind doing this.

xfce looks dated as fuck mate, my PC can handle any other DE good.

Mint is basically Ubuntu with better defaults. They aren't that different, but I guess you could give it a try in a virtual machine.

Is it just as good with drivers?

Should be. It also has the same "Additional Drivers" thing where you could select the Nvidia video driver instead of the "free as in freedom" driver.

By better defaults I mean like, Mint uses Nemo instead of Nautilus as the default file manager, but nothing is stopping you from changing the file manager in Ubuntu. Cinnamon is more customizable out of the box than Unity, but again, nothing is stopping you from replacing Unity with Cinnamon. And a bunch of subtle stuff. Some people say that Mint is more stable than Ubuntu out of the box but I'm not sure how true that is.

Thanks man, sounds like Mint is a little bit better then Ubuntu, only thing that kinda bothers me is the security of Mint.

It asks you for your update policy when you first boot it up after installation. If you select all updates in the update manager (or "sudo apt update" + "sudo apt upgrade" in terminal, this completely overrides the update manager) then you basically get everything that Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is getting, including the security updates and whatever the Mint team ships out. If you want more up-to-date packages (but possibly less stability in return) then all you can really do is just get Ubuntu 16.10 and install Cinnamon over it. I'm someone who wants to stay at least a bit up-to-date so I'm currently using Xubuntu 16.10 (another decent distro for beginners). Not installing Cinnamon because I'm fine with Xfce at the moment.

>xfce looks dated as fuck mate, my PC can handle any other DE good.
It's not hard to make it look decent, and the speed is pretty worthwhile even if your computer isn't trash.

Shit that actually looks pretty fucking good, I like that a lot.

Is that yours?

It's basically just arc-theme dark, numix circle icons, a transparent panel, and this wallpaper

I did that but in Ubuntu. How would I do it there? Which OS is that, Lubuntu?

That's in Xubuntu 16.10

sudo apt install arc-theme

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:numix/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install numix-icon-theme numix-icon-theme-circle

Appearance -> Style Tab -> Arc-Dark
Appearance -> Icons Tab -> Numix Circle
Window Manager -> Style Tab -> Arc-Dark (to fix the weird window titles)

Right-click panel -> Panel Preferences -> Appearance -> Use system style and Alpha to 0

Thanks friend!! I am going to try to recreate what you have done.

For Ubuntu you had to use Unity Tweak Tool, for other DE is it not needed?

Last question. Where can I find those options? I could probably find them on my own but just in case.

I'd honestly recommend Ubuntu MATE

I've tried a lot of distros/de's and That's probably the one I had the best experience with

I also like Fedora with GNOME 3 but I might just be a total fuckhead

The instructions I posted are for Xubuntu 16.10. Might not work with other configurations. You can find the options by searching the start menu.

For example, arc-theme is not a default package in distros based on Ubuntu 16.04.

github.com/horst3180/arc-theme

Firefox theme: github.com/horst3180/arc-firefox-theme
(Unfinished) Icons theme: github.com/horst3180/arc-icon-theme

Alright thanks. If I remember correctly arc-theme installs all of them right?

What makes it so good?

>If I remember correctly arc-theme installs all of them right?
I don't think it installs the firefox theme and icon theme.

Yea I know but all the arc themes

Yea, I think so.

Fuck I only have one issue though.
If I ever decide to remove Xubuntu and install another distro it is going to fuck with my Windows boot.

Happened to me last time that I removed Ubuntu because I got bored of it.

>it is going to fuck with my Windows boot.

What do you mean? You mean if you delete the Ubuntu partition and you reboot and you're stuck on the grub screen?

>Insert a Windows 7/8/10 recovery/installation media (doesn't matter if you upgraded to 10, 7 and 8 will still work for repairing it)
>Boot into it
>Click Repair your computer
>Click Troubleshoot
>Click Advanced Options
>Click Command Prompt
>Type the following:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

It should happen in an instant and you will be able to restart your computer and boot into Windows without any traces of Linux on it.

Also, if you're OP keep in mind, Xubuntu is a lightweight distro so it might not come with as much packages and options as stock Ubuntu or Mint, but it should still work out of the box.

Exactly that. I deleted the whole Ubuntu partition and it would just take me to a black screen and mention GRUB don't remember what it said exactly.

I did the same thing that you just mentioned to me but I remember it being much more then just what you put.

I had to put a few commands, pretty easy fix but meh kinda annoying I guess.

I am in fact OP.

>it might not come with as much packages and options
Like which what do you mean? I don't need that much honestly.

>Like which what do you mean? I don't need that much honestly.
For example, Xubuntu comes with the Thunar as the default file manager, which is perfectly fine for a lightweight distro, but you might want something with a tad more functionality. The distro itself is packaged with minimal software in comparison to Ubuntu and Mint.

Ah okay okay. How does one get a better one? I am a Linux noob so I just want something nice and simple.

Also I am trying to download Xubuntu now. Should I go for LTS or the regular 16.10.

Linux is for servers and embedded devices. Fuck it on the desktop, waste of your time.

Don't let these wannabes hipster fags fool you, with their screenfetches of terminals and obscure random source code editors open that they didn't write not intend to edit, in which took 2 months to build, customize and stabilize so they can take their "glorious" screenshots.

Fuck that. And fuck Linux fags. Just run Windows 10 and enjoy it while it lasts.

Andromeda invading the tech space 2017.

Mint is trash tier. I did the Ubuntu minimal + cinnamon thing. I also edited the mini.iso to install it as uefi, there's guides online for that.

Ubuntu minimal is ALSO broken, and the option to open a terminal at the tasksel menu does nothing. So to get a preconfigured x server I just installed the lubuntu minimal package, then installed cinnamon once it booted, then removed every package that had lubuntu or lxde in it's name (there's only a few). The only one you need to keep is the lubuntu icon pack. Reboot and you're in fresh cinnamon land. Also, to install cinnamon it is literally just 'sudo apt install cinnamon', you don't need to add any ppas nowadays.

I have used Linux before, and I actually think it's neat. You don't need to use Arch or Gentoo, you can get something like Ubuntu that is dead fucking simple.

>Andromeda
What?

I am going for Xubuntu, seems like the best choice. That user helped me out with all the shit I need to do to rice it so I am gonna do that.

Well this is how you would install nemo I think

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/nemo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nemo nemo-fileroller

Then you would change your default file manager in preferred applications.

Thanks! How is Nemo different then the default one?