Just bought this setup except with the solo instead of the duo port

Just bought this setup except with the solo instead of the duo port.
>reee in HD

Post mic setups

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AIQGUO
jeremiahpalecek.com/video-games/
a.uguu.se/3p3kWk73BsxR_Untitled.mp3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have bm-800 and chinky phantom power + arm out for delivery today. How bad did I fuck up, Sup Forums?

Will be used for yelling at scrubs in TF2 and 1.6 on the weekends

what do you use it for though? Just chatting, or content?

Holy fuck I love this pic. Are there more?
Also, assuming you have virtually no budget there is no real reason to get a budget microphone over your run of the mill gaming headset. The quality difference surfaces at the AT2020 price point. Below that you are wasting money.

to (you)

>Below that you are wasting money
not really desu, just having a larger diaphragm, even if it's cheap, is going to give better quality than an in-line mic, or a shitty headset mic, unless you've got a $300+ headset with a really nice mic for studio use, literally any larger diaphragm condenser microphone will be higher quality, even a $40 condenser.

I just use a USB condenser on an arm with a popfilter, spent under $50 and it's MUCH higher quality than any headset microphone, clear sounding to people in game, or discord.

Every BM800 review I've listened to sets it far and away from my crappy Siberia v2 mic. Besides, it's just a cheap toy for fun.

Don't get me wrong. Cheap usb microphones such as the Blue snowball and meteor do wonders to improve audio but the trade off is that you may still pick up undesirable background noise unlike higher quality condensers. There's also the argument of build quality. I've heard it been said that cheap condensers have the longevity or routers.

>still pick up undesirable background noise unlike higher quality condensers
that has more to do with the user from my experience.

If you don't know how to set proper gain levels then you're fucked with a $500 mic just as much as a $30 one.

Wait, is that a AT2020USB?

>AT2020USB
>spent under $50

Nope, CAD U37 I paid $29 for on sale.

amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AIQGUO

I use a MD421 most of the time I need a mic at my computer, but sometimes I use a proper mic even though I never record at home

if its 1st gen, get the beta drivers

it's 2nd.
I assume you mean the interface not the mic.

MD421 is a beast. Do you notice the higher quality?

indeed, and ok, just a heads up

of course. it's a good dynamic microphone but even a mediocre condenser is suited better for voice
totally irrelevant for mumble/teamspeak though

I just bought the exact same shit idubbbz uses

It's cheap and works perfectly fine

Got free wall foam pads on Craigslist

does the wall foam do anything if you don't really have any external noise and a carpeted floor? Does it improve acoustics?

Is the Blue Yeti a meme?

these 1" thick foam panels absorb stuff above 3ish kHz so they leave you with a nice muddy midrange sounding room
making it worse in 99% of all times, especially if you have no idea what you're doing which is the case for youtubers and streamers covering their walls with these

Unless you are hosting group conferences, as in people in the same room speaking from different directions, and you absolutely have no desire to bother with xlm cables, yes.
For roughly the same cost you can get better performance from mics meant only to be used in the traditional sense, such as games, skype calls, or singing.

So basically, if you don't think you need them, you probably don't need them.

suggestions for that price range then?

If you want usb that is a step up from inline garbage, get a Blue Snowball Ice or Samson Meteor.
If you want a proper mic utilizing XLM, get an AT2020 around $85 or the step up AT2035 for $150.
Staying below the $200 price point there are very clear winners and losers. Things get more complicated past that as you start to get into audiophile territory where, yeah they sound a bit better, but are they $699 better?

I use one of these. The only negative thing about it is you have to use a battery.

Thanks, user

You sound like you have things backwards, condenser mics can pick up background noise much more easily, you just have to properly set things up either way
A cheap condenser mic is almost always better than a headset of the same price
Yeti mics are trash btw, there's a reason they only sell on newegg and amazon

There's foam for bass and foam for highs
Foam for highs is stupid, you might as well just have some laundry in the room
Foam for bass can make a huge difference, especially if you have a hard room material or if your studio is too small/big

What is xlm

Xtra Long Manparts

it's all about the thickness and density of the material, though.
these typical foam absorbers are both very thin and very light, making them useless

the two mics I mentioned are cheap condensers...
Most times higher quality mics have varias features to muffle unwanted feed. Such as internal wind screens or switches to impede db.
See Rode Broadcaster and AT2035

kek

meant XLR

But if you're getting free foam from Craigslist just trying to look cool, you gotta go with egg cartons
That's what happens when you recommend yeti mics, you start posting dumb shit

I never recommended a Yeti you sperg

If your room is empty and has a hard wood floor, you might notice a bit if echo off the wall. If you add a nice 4x4 placement on the walls that echo, your room will offer less echo feedback recording. If your room has a carpeted floor, good chance you dont need them at all.

Here's a stupid question. Is there a table mic setup for voice that can also double as a video mic for an Olympus mirrorless? What would I be looking for? I know nothing, except that Blue Yeti seems popular for gaming.

thanks

you want something that can be battery powered like the sennheiser k6p with the 64 capsule
a little switch lets it take either phantom power from your preamp at home or switches to battery power when it's on the camera

Table mic? you mean like a conference mic that sits in the middle of a boardroom?

BM800 is god. Stupidly noisy, though.

You sure it's not noisy because of your nigger rigged setup

Maybe if you get one that actually works

Sound Devices 744
Scheops CMC6 + MK8
Scheops CMC6 + MK40
MS setup in a Rycote zep
alt is 416 when humidity or side rejection is important and stereo isn't

That's fucking dope.

I guess there are a few more.

jeremiahpalecek.com/video-games/

Meant for

It's hiss from the microphone circuitry.

Perhaps I have overly high standards.

I can pinpoint at least two places where your setup is super vulnerable to interference, I doubt it's "the microphone" that sounds shitty

I've of course tested the microphone with a better set-up, lol. I wouldn't comment on the noise of a mic going through ten metres of unbalanced cable into a fucking camcorder.

Recording hacks has it at 16dB(A) self noise, which is a good low number for an electret microphone. Not super low but the microphone shouldn't be "noisy". Sensitivity numbers look good too. Something is wrong with your phantom supply, the microphone or your camera's input.

Again, I think I just have abnormally high standards. I haven't played with many big condenser mics.

Lemme guess, you've also never used phantom power before either?

what about it? phantom power is the simplest thing ever

Do tell me how to get a better power supply than a bloody battery.

ur mum is the simplest thing, m8

I mean, maybe but my guess is no. I have some excellent DPA microphones and I played with that Josephson mic with the Gafell capsule, and I've got some old AT3032s that are about as quiet/noisy as that BM800 is supposed to be. Those ATs are quiet enough that when I was recording in the woods with a new preamp and had it cranked (but didn't know) I thought a bear was coming at me and it turned out to be a field mouse.

Post a recording, depending on the noise quality it should be fairly obvious what is causing it.

Not that guy but apparently the BM800 is good for phantom between 9v and 48v but that doesn't mean it's getting all the gain it could with a 12v SLA.

>I was recording in the woods
Are you on the bigfoot hunter show

Can you rec a cheap mic for games and skype

Nah, I was in Canada recording backgrounds. I almost shat my pants when "the bear" came at me but I figured "just stay sill, that's your best plan." and then I see this fucking mouse, I get super confused, clap my hands and practically go def.

I play around with some other mics and headphones, but this is my usual audio setup
The Blue Baby Bottle is really nice and versatile, would recommend

I use a 8€ speedlink mic on a stand

Blue gets a bad rap because they make entry level stuff and they have good marketing but their stuff is actually quite good.

That's kinda like the first time I went shooting with my electronic earmuffs cranked with no plugs underneath. It felt like I was a superhero. I heard ATVs over a mile away like they were right behind me. Every twig cracking, etc

Yeah that's true, a lot of people bash on blue for the Yeti and Snowball (which I have no experience on btw)
I have two baby bottles and a kiwi and I have no issues with them.
Quality is nice, they sound great and they really aren't that expensive. Didn't pay for mine though

Raising the voltage raises the noise floor on this one.

I can't right now. The noise is a simple white noise. It's not out of external interference of any kind.

>raising the voltage raises the noise

maybe you got a shit mic, or maybe spending $10-20 more for something even approaching the semblance of quality.

You don't need to spend more than $50 to beat almost any headset microphone however.

if that's the case it sounds like the microphone's active electronics have some sort of problem

Are those some K712s?
If so, mah nigga. I've yet to see anyone else with a pair. What are your thoughts?

That could 100% be from interference, what the hell makes you think that's impossible? Your ultra high standards couldn't figure that out?

how could interference ever be white noise?

Nice headphones for what I paid ($220).

I used to have Q701 which I sold to a friend, and compared to those the bass is more pronounced and the flat headband + memory foam earpads made them a good deal more comfy to wear for extended listening.

Overall great headphones

I also have a pair of Denon AH-D2000 for closed back listening.

Ground hum, interference at the DAC circuit, any kind of constant interference like an unshielded computer nearby or a speaker nearby

Snowball iCE and a cheap pop filter with or without a boom arm.
If you mean REALLY cheap all I can say is just get a headset or one of those stand mics on amazon for $10

Not to mention that if it goes up with voltage, and for some crazy reason your high standards have ruled out any kind of interference just because "it doesn't sound like interference" your microphone or amp or cables are damaged

Yeah I'm just getting my 363d repaired for $100 then

none of that would be white noise
especially
>hum
come on

Honestly if it's truly white noise and not peaky in any sort of frequency band then I'm 90% confident it is with the power section of the microphone or the phantom supply. That's just the way it works, if adding more voltage in the phantom supply raises the noise floor then indeed there is something wrong with the power section (supply or microphone). Most microphones that work on phantom get quieter when you give them more voltage.

Anyone use this? Is it good?

cont.

I agree with you though that it's not likely interference because that's almost always showing up in a specific frequency band.

I had one for a short time
it's ok for the price I guess

Why only for a short time if you don't mind me asking? Didn't fit your needs?

Hey I'd believe you can't ground your wires if that's actually your setup

(((berg)))

The problem is that the company is marketed toward convenience or user friendliness. Almost all of their products (with the exception of their Pro line) are plug and play and feature internals that calibrate automatically.
That being said the people that say the yeti is good are the same saying Apple makes good products.
Technically there's nothing wrong with Apple, but they are over priced and require a lot of proprietary soft/hardware. Blue is more or less the same way and is marketed towards those that don't have an interest in learning about features or what separates a good mic from a bad mic.
When everything is said and done, I can't recommend most of Blue's line with the exception of their lower end stuff that is more portable or specifically the Snowball iCE for the cost to performance ratio for everyday voice use. And even then I would only do so if I was fairly sure they were the kind of person that just wanted something dedicated as opposed to a headset and didn't want to bother with settings or calibration.

Why don't you know? You already blamed the entire issue on "I'm too intelegant for this mic"

I tried a lot of transportable bus powered interfaces and that was one of them
I went with a rme babyface in the end because it's so much better and even smaller and lighter

that one has been mentioned to me on here before. maybe by you. one would hope it's better considering the premium.

That means stone in german you amerinigger

Comfy

Spotted the kayak

Here's a recording.

a.uguu.se/3p3kWk73BsxR_Untitled.mp3

There's a bit of mains hum there too, that's obviously due to my long, shitty cable. The background music level is very low, and my speech is not loud either.

What do you mong lord do with such high quality microphones? If it's gaymening, have you considered suicide?

If it is just the mic that is broken and you have a $100 dollar budget I would recommend:

$70 Samson Meteor Mic USB
$13 Neewer NB-35 Black Boom Arm
$8 Dragonpad Pop filter