Which stage are you on?

Which stage are you on?

Other urls found in this thread:

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
stallman.org/amazon.html);
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Final. This is exactly what I've done, and now I'm happily using plain ol' Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. No regrets.

been in final stage since 2014 :3

Final. Still Posting. Still n00b.

I went from Debian straight to GuixSD and bypassed Arch and Hentaihoo stages

Last. Back to Ubuntu

Went Windows > Mint > Crunchbang > Windows > Mint.
I guess I'm on final stage except I don't have the time to configure the objectively superior Cinnamon on Ubuntu 16, so I just go with Mint

I use linux mint KDE and I don't give a fuck.

Using Fedora. Bypassed debian because I'm to dumb to get the wifi to work on my laptop

There's another stage, the true final one: you go back to Windows because it really works as a desktop OS.

relative to trying to get shit to work on ubuntu or debian, arch is a dream.

I went from...

Fedora -> Crunchbang -> Xubuntu -> Ubuntu GNOME - > Debian

I'm still on Debian and will probably stay here. It works perfectly fine on my laptop and I couldn't care less about having newer packages than what's provided on Debian Stable. I'd probably use Fedora over Debian if it wasn't so bleeding edge.

/thread

I skipped to the arch stage, ubuntu works like shit on my pc for reasons unknown and I don't want to spend a couple weeks trying to fix it when arch just works.

Mandriva > Ubuntu > x/lubuntu > Arch > Windows.
Windows Is the true "welcome back" tier.

This is literally what I've done but with an added final stage where you switch to Solus.

This is only true if you want to play games.

Don't know if I should go Ubuntu or Mint.

Or use a decent Office suite, Photoshop, CAD program, etc.

4th stage I guess. Don't do desktop threads and ricing shit though. Max rice for me: Numix icons and Arc theme. Basic bitch as fuck...
Antergos because AUR is nice and easy. Guess I would still be running *buntu/Mint if it had not been acting like an ass when I wanted to install MATLAB.

>never messed with wcid, a wifi adapter and your new box for your first rig
>didn't constantly checkip a
>doesn't know about systemctl enable|disable
Really missing out w/ Debian user.

Here's how i went

>ubuntu
>mint
>debian
>kali
>Linux mint debian
>elementary
>Manjaro

Manjaro is wonderful and stable and i love the repositories including the AUR. Would highly recommed Linux Mint Debian because it's essentially debian with actual fucking firmware that works out of the box.

So

Gentoo is different from arch. Gentoo is ONLY DISTRO IN WHICH YOU CAN CHOOSE VERSION OF SOFTWARE. IS NOT OBSCURE AND EVERTHING IS AUTOMATED BY PORTAGE. STOP SHITPOSTING FAKE MEMES YOU CTR.

>Doesn't know about systemctl enable|disable

I used systemctl in Arch. Or do you mean something else?

stage 2 and feeling the urges to advance onto stage 3

the final stage is the sane one, but without the wisdom gained from the previous phases it is the same as stage 1

First stage.

I went from Windows to Debian to Xubuntu.
Though I don't care for showing off epeen or Sup Forums approval, I do like customisation.

Debian, but it's watever.

Been using Gentoo for years, you never have to make it yourself difficult just have a stage4 ready to rock with all your configs and you be set for life

What? Gentoo is the best distro, and I've never had problems in my 3 years of using it. I use it because of the features it has, not because it's 1337.

Fuck off with your forced memes.

I'm at the "whoever made those blocks of text should hang himself" phase.

Alternatively, I'm at the "back to debian" phase because of my old laptop cannot gentoo correctly.

actually, that's stage 2.

Reading way too much into the tail spin.

Transcended the linux kernel straight to freebsd.

Final stage.

Hell, that image was 100% accurate for me, same distros, same attitude, everything!

Should I go Ubuntu or Mint?

Fedora.

Mac level. It's when you realize all the web "development" can be done on any desktop OS and it just happens so that I'm tired of Windows.

I'm using Kubuntu at work still.

I am on stage one (ubuntu) still after 6 years.

Did i skip all of the stages through purity of shill? Or has my journey not yet begun?

I have been thinking about installing debian stretch this feburary when it's stable... Because i want to use only free computer software.

Should I?

Is it stable?

Not quite, you dual-boot.

Ubuntu or a community ubuntu with a different desktop. Mint is insecure

holy shit lol

That picture is literally truth. I was gentard for awhile and now im back to fedora.

I entered Fedora from the start and and never left. Then again I was never on Sup Forums when I first tried Linux. This whole distro hoping is fucking cancer. I installed Mandriva once (installed over Ubuntu because I didn't like its drum theme) on a secondary machine but that computer died the next day. Fucking Dell hardware, good thing I got it for free. It was probably for the best since they died.

>Windows Is the true "welcome back" tier
I would only go back to Windows if its the only way to run Tekken 7 on PC and that would be a secondary OS. Otherwise its impossible for me to go back to Windows since I can't middle click the new tab on Chromium and doesn't encrypt the whole drive by default.

Never started the cycle, start with SuSE 6.3 and still using openSuSE. Make the right choice first and forever

I stopped using Linux and stick with Windows because it seems like you have to decide between
>no botnet
>real hardware/software support
I used to use Debian because it's not botnet but fuck their WiFi and audio compatibility. I don't want to use Ubuntu because it's crippled Debian sponsored by Amazon.

how is mint insecure?

Im on the stage where I just use Xubuntu because I dont have time to be lurking /etc/ all day

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

This is my final form.

What, Kubuntu? Hell no. Upgrading them workstations from 14.04 to 16.04 was a mistake, plasma crashes for no apparent reason on freshly installed systems, and it just freezes occasionally. You could blame a particular PC but I saw that happening on a variety of configs and rarely it was a user's fault.
I wish we'd just switch to regular Ubuntu, KDE is a mess.

Hackintosh at home is a smooth sailing btw.

>real hardware/software support
Only on W10. It's painful to see, how hard they try to spread that shit and intel will help them as usual. I sometimes think about trying W10, but the features can't make it enough good to give up on linux and a vm is always enough if something incompatible with wine.

why do you have almost 3000 packages user?
and you have a very specific cpu frequency there too!

Fedora.

In the end you want stable, latest packages, and justwerks security.

>Hackintosh at home is a smooth sailing btw
The installation is a major pain in the ass.

I actually know what I'm doing, so I'm perfectly happy with Gentoo thanks...

that says a hacker took control of the linux mint website. and replaced download links with a botnet distro. That doesnt mean the linux mint distro itself is insecure just that the website is hosted by a bunch of retards

>average Sup Forums user
debian is too hard :( :( :(:(
ubanto better amazon fork! !!!!
too complicate how to install googole chrome?!? wtfff
Ubanto also better design, debbian ask for DE?!??!? choose de?`!`!? ScreenTear!?!? CompTon too comlpliocate wtf edit textfile!?!?!?!?

ubanto = better

It is, but once you figure everything out, it's just as stable as the real thing. I must admit I've spent a good couple of days to set it up.

i dont think you go on Sup Forums regularly user

>SUSE>Slackware>Debian>Gentoo>Ubuntu>Lubuntu>Manjaro>Arch>Xubuntu

Thinking of trying Gentoo again since it's been 9-10 years.

The only good thing about Matlab is that Mathworks finance LAPACK. So kudos to them for that I guess.

>implying compton actually fixes SHIT
>implying when it does it doesn't affect performance
>implying your hacker friendly distro survives video driver updates

Currently in stage 4. Do I drop Debian and go to Ubuntu?

Past the final stage. I'm in the secret extra stage: OS X

accurate

>debian
stage 2 brainlet detected. come back when you realize you want your distro to have firmware so it works out of box on all machines and don't want outdated libraries, packages and security updates.

Ubuntu -> Debian -> Fedora -> Antergos -> Arch -> Manjaro

Finally dropped Arch because I got bored with the desktop meme. Settled on Manjaro because I like the default settings on XFCE. I pretty much run on a vanilla set-up and happy with it so far. I might move on to a Debian fork, but Manjaro is just too comfy.

you guys do realize that ever distro is the same, right? you could give me a machine with ubuntu installed and, with enough time, i could turn it into gentoo. distrowars are for the weakminded and insecure - use whatever you want

>it will fix it
>every compositor have overhead, kill it until gayming
>survived, deal with it

stage 4 of 5
Debian, with some simple customization.

I did go to stage 5 for a bit and have Ubuntu as a backup, but I am willing to deal with some pain if it means supporting ideas I agree with. And just plan to use genaric hardware next time to avoid most of these issues next time.

I use several kinds of distros. The only common thing they have is the DE.

>but I am willing to deal with some pain if it means supporting ideas I agree with.
this guy gets it. finally a realist free software user. one in a million man I swear. most of them just REEE and try to twist reality so they can believe that debian is actually better in every way, that they actually like using the ancient outdated packages and lack of out of box support.

Funny how I completed the cycle so many times and still find Arch more convenient

Windows -> Ubantoo -> Debian -> Arch -> Gentoo -> Fedora -> Mint -> Ubuntu/Windows
growing up hurts :(

If debian is too complicated for you then why even bother using linux at all? you clearly have no self respect as you allow a south african commercial company to harvest your data.

I have 100000% more faith in using windows 10 than some fucking south african company adding spyware in a "just werks" distro.

>Ubuntu uses the information about searches to show the user ads to buy various things from Amazon. Amazon commits many wrongs (see stallman.org/amazon.html); by promoting Amazon, Canonical contributes to them. However, the ads are not the core of the problem. The main issue is the spying. Canonical says it does not tell Amazon who searched for what. However, it is just as bad for Canonical to collect your personal information as it would have been for Amazon to collect it.

>Thread: How to remove default installed "Ubuntu Spyware"
So, how do I get this stuff out of my computer? What packages are involved? I know it can be turned off but its default state is On (which it clearly shouldn't be) and I don't want to check it at every update to see if it is back at the default setting.

>Canonical Ltd.[6] is a UK-based privately held computer software company founded and funded by South African entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth to market commercial support and related services for Ubuntu and related projects. Canonical employs staff in more than 30 countries and maintains offices in London, Boston, Taipei, Shanghai, Tokyo and the Isle of Man.[4]

Holy shit, I... I had no idea about these stages. I currently threw mint on a netbook because i wanted to try it over ubuntu... Am I gonna die?

I'm on the stage where I fucked around with Linux from about 2007 to 2012 and it was terrible and I'll never go back. And I tried way more distro than this list.

So basically I use Windows 10 and wish there was a real alternative but there isn't. What stage is that?

Windows > Ubuntu > Xubuntu > Lubuntu > Windows and Lubuntu

>Mandrake
1998 is sure as fuck gonna be the year of Linux on desktop with this n00b-friendly distro!

>Red Hat
I'm not a n00b anymore, and Red Hat seems to be the most popular distro around. I'll give this new version 6 a try.

>Slackware
My UNIX penis is not big enough, from now on I'm gonna compile everything from source tarballs and spend countless nights trying to get shit to work, so that I can brag about it on Usenet using slrn.

>Debian
I think I've learned enough, Y2K is high time to settle with a stable, grown up distro and stop being a faggot.

>mfw when I've been faithful to Debian since long before all of Sup Forums's favorite meme distros even existed.

Thanks,
I have impossibly high standards on what my tech SHOULD do, but at some point sadly compromises need to be made as I have other things to do with my life.

But that is a far cry from staying ignorant and using widows as "it came preinstalled".

Personally if the software does what I need then I don't care how old it is. I find the do everything stuff tends to have too many issues. And don't get me started on this whole lets redo the UI every few years because makes no sense.

Canonical is from UK or Man island or what...

Stage 3 I guess, I don't see myself switching back to ubuntu though. I don't like unity, and the packages are all old which leads to using ppa's.

I skipped all those steps and just work on windows.

Windows

How can you be this superior... Amazing!

Isle of man which is still subject to the recent investegatory powers act iirc

Ireland is pretty close and they hate collecting taxes. :^)

Last stage is installing Solus as you realise how shitty all the other distros are.

I went to the site and downloaded an ISO, should I delete it?

How do I install Cinnamon on Ubuntu? I did it once before but I want something good. I have heard that there are bugs and shit.

2 comfy with arch.
Arch is honestly a god tier OS

I've never seen anything more accurate. I honestly don't really remember step 2 for me, but right now I am on step 4. I will be going to step 5 when my new computer gets here. I just need simplicity back in my life, but I learned a lot through the journey.

M A N J A R O

The last one. The image is pretty spot on. I use Ubuntu at work, and now also hat home.

use mint debian edition.

Final stage except I'm just using Arch. Went full Gentoo but was too much work.

Arch is comfy tbqfh

I lived everything of what you say and took it one step further; using win 8.1 right now with VM if I need my comfy terminal for infosec purposes.

Final stage settled with fedora when version 23 droped

My evolution was completely different. This image doesn't seem to match me at all

I started with debian and made fun of the gentoo users, but then I eventually got pissed off by how difficult and convoluted debian made everything and switched to gentoo

Reasonable happy with my choice, but I'm sort of considering moving to NixOS one of these days because of portage limitations (can't install multiple versions of arbitrary packages)