ANDROID UPDATES

How the fuck is it allowed for companies to sell you a phone and then hold back years of Android kernel updates? This is why Android phones have so many viruses, they don't fucking get patched. My ancient C2D laptop can run a modern linux distro, but my fucking phone can't get a single OS upgrade? Fuck me. I got a Moto X three years ago, and now I'm stuck on Lollipop.

What are the current Android phones that are guaranteed to have upgrades to at least the next two versions of Android?

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/xperia-open-source-archives/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

flash it yourself dummy
you're on Sup Forums, aren't you?

Why do millennials think they're entitled to get everything updated for free? Used to, if you bought something, that was just it. The only way you got an "update" was if you bought a new thing.
It's amazing how people have the most powerful conglomeration of technology in their pocket but complain because the animations are a year old.

Microsoft Windows doesn't have this problem.

>Yesss, good consumer, don't complain about planned obsolescence!

To sell you new phones.

Yeah, don't. Nothing gets upgraded for free. It's not your right as a consumer, it's not their obligation as a producer. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That's how the free market works. Enjoy your new iPhone.

>flash it yourself
I haven't used an Android in years, aren't there phones now that have locked bootloaders that won't let you flash anything?

XPERIA
P
E
R
I
A

developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/xperia-open-source-archives/

>Nothing gets upgraded for free
My Linux desktop and laptop both do.

>it's not their obligation as a producer. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That's how the free market works
The "free market" is going to destroy us all by allowing massive botnets like Mirai to take hold in easily-patched IOT and smartphones.

Yes, I know you're a troll, but it's worth pointing these issues out to people anyway.

You can whine all day and your phone still won't get an update.

you don't get updates cuz due to nature of the android development and massive amount of nonmainlined out-of-tree linux code, by the time google patches a linux with their aosp code that they take from linaro lsk that then the SOC chip provider takes and writes support for their device that then which maker like samsung takes and puts their own patches/code on top, your android and kernel is already obsolete and vulnerable, and they don't patch it because they are already working on newer phone and don't give a shit

tl;dr
old linus tree -> linaro lsk patches -> google's android patches -> soc vendor etc -> vendor (sony, samsung, lg etc)

Why do old fags think everything that is wrong with the world is because of those darn millennials?

It's attitudes like this that stop progress. So because we have some amazing hardware in our pocket we should just be satisfied? It's the people who are never satisfied that keep pushing for better tech that are the ones we all benefit from. OP is right. The carrier's need to get their shit together and keep pushing updates without the bloat that no one wants.

>Updated for free?
Yes Android pushes updates for free if you didn't know
>Used to
If we keep doing things the way we used to where would we be?

>millennials
>free
>complain
Quality b8 user, top marks for using a buzz word! :^)

You should have got an iPhone OP. ^;

>If we keep doing things the way we used to where would we be?
We'd be in a much better place, that's for sure. Anything would've been better than children who don't know how to do anything. Gotta Google how to tie their shoes.

Android does the same shit though - except it usually does it after a few months

>Get Nexus 6
>Smooth as butter for 3 months
>Notice some slow downs
>3 months later has random bouts of un-usability

>Crack screen
>Get warranty replacement
>Smooth as butter for 3 months
>Starts to slow down
>3 months after has random bouts of un-usability

>you should've gotten a fruity laggy toy that self destructs right after the warranty expires

iPhone 5 doesn't have this problem.

>iShit5

Buy Sprint HTC One M9.
>Unlock bootloader.
>Install TWRP.
>S-On because have to pay for S-OFF?
>Want to install Badboyz or ViperROM.
>Have to install firmware.
>Can't install firmware, gives me error saying incorrect model?
>Can't flash with SD card, because I don't have one.
>Phone now softbricked in limbo

too bad it has it's own set of problems

Don't blame the phone manufacturers blame chinkshops like Mediatek or Allwinner for not providing proper drivers for their chips.

If only there was an older generation to teach these things, rather than complain uselessly on the internet.

Given how Nexus/Pixel phones get updates straight away, it wouldn't surprise me if Google let the other manufacturers half-ass their own updates to make the Google products more appealing, after hooking everyone on Samsungs and LGs.

Enjoy your bricked phone

you have to be really dumb to be able to brick an android phone lol

Pixel and Nexus are about all I can think of. It's one of the reasons I wound up trying out an iPhone that I got for free with contract.

I can deal without getting all the new features, but Android needs to provide quick and easy access to security patches for an extended period of time (a minimum of 3 years), no matter which phone you have.

Wife got and iPhone 4S for Verizon on launch day. Still works fine to this day, although we have it in a drawer, as it stopped getting security updates. Still, 5 years of support is acceptable, and it still worked fine.

"""""""for free"""""""

99% of phones with malware are from pirating apps

Which is why I said "with contract," afterwards.

I went from paying 30 bucks each per month for my phone and the wife's on page plus (totaling), to paying 70 dollars per month through Credo. So I guess I'm going to wind up paying 240 dollars for two 128GB 6s's, which is an acceptable price for me.

The Pixel has security updates for 5 years

I fell for the OnePlus3 meme.
>still no android 7

Fuck off.

Yeah. I believe that's why I named them, alongside with Nexus (who get instant updates, but I don't think they update for as long - is it 3 years?).

I have no problem recommending Pixel if you would rather go with Google's ecosystem than Apple's. I'll recommend them so long as the support continues, and, indefinitely, so long as they hit the 5 year mark with every model they ever put out.

It's very obvious that the Pixel is Google's answer to the iPhone, and it's one that I welcome. Competition is always a good thing for consumers.

Apple blocks old phones from installing and updating apps after a while to force you to upgrade. It's fucked up.

A 10 year old Android phone doesn't have this problem.

i wonder if cat will take the time to take the s60 to 7.0

Android most certainly has this problem unless you flash the system. Most phones, even flagships, are lucky to get a single major update.

System updates are usually not important for installing apps on Android. You can build new apps that are compatible with ancient phones. What happens with iOS development is that you're forced to break compatibility with old phones.

I don't know about that. I have both an Droid 3 and an iPhone 4s, both released within a couple months of each other (mid to late 2011). The iPhone 4s was supported by almost every app until iOS 10 dropped (still might be, haven't checked). Hell, the iPhone 4, which only got updated to iOS 7, had the majority of apps working for it until iOS 9.

The Droid 3 refused to download apps around 2013. Almost nothing works with Gingerbread anymore.