Poorfag here

Poorfag here.
Is Macbook Air good enough? Can't afford a Pro unless I buy used. I tested Air at a store, and screen was pretty bad. Any other reasons not to buy it?

Other urls found in this thread:

cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-5250U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2520M
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-2520M @ 2.50GHz
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-5250U @ 1.60GHz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good enough for what? For your appearance towards your superfluous friends? I suppose so.
>Any other reasons not to buy it?
No ports, throttles and overheats

2 USB is enough.
Overheats when?

The 2012 retina pro is better than the new one.

When you try to do anything that requires more power than web browsing. It has no fans, see.

Buy an iPad instead, desktop OSs are deprecated anyway.

What do you need to do with it?

Not OP, there's a promotion for the MBA in my country. It sells for €825.

I will be using it for web browsing/programming at school. It won't be my main system. I will be putting Windows on it. Plus, i'm going to get an iPhone so it will be handy to have an iOS system i guess.

Though i really hate the 1440x900 resolution..

As far as I know, it does have fans
Already have one
Web, MS office, Photoshop, Anime, programming, Some gaming (CIV, Skyrim, older games)

You can't work with an Ipad

I live in borderline 3rd world country, so tech here is more expensive. Cheapest Air is 999 Euros.
Viewing angle is a bigger problem. Not as bad as my current Acer, but far from IPS

Buy a used haswell pro

Apple is for faggots.

>gaming
>windows
So why exactly are you going for a Mac again? You might want to go for something that has an actual gfx card.

>he isn't getting an Asus zenbook

If you're really a poorfag, then why are you wasting money on what amounts to nothing more than a millenial status symbol?

Gaming is not main thing I will do. Air can run some older games, so it will be enough. Having an actual gfx card is not worth the tradeoff of laptop being bulky af.

Because I want a thing that will last, not a shitty Acer

>poor
>buys apple
i don't understand

The irony is Apple designs products with planned obsolescence in mind like any other consumer goods manufacturer. Things will break and it will be more expensive to repair then than to just buy the newest iProduct.

I think buying a better thing is cheaper than buying shit that will break soon and will have to buy a new one again soon

I know people using the same macbook for 5 of more years

I've had a retina MBP for 4 years, had spontaneous crashes with a gpu replacement required... How many of those owners have never had any hardware issues?

pls respond should i get a MBA

But user, Apple is not "a better thing", it's just more expensive

Correction, logic board replacement due to faulty GPU.

I'll sell you a 2015 13" base model for $900

You do realize that only extremely mentally ill people (ie homosexuals) use apple products, right?

Yes, you should, and you should call the Jews "daddy" for raping your mind with marketing tricks.

Poorfag do you NEED a mac? Will a cheap windows pc be enough for what you need? Buy a mac if you NEED it but if you are a liberal arts major in uni then you don't NEED a mac. Just suffer during the uni years and then when you graduate and get a job you earned your current year model of a mac. Of course if your major is like engineering which needs co outing power than a mac nor cheap windows will do and you will NEED a more powerful pc.

Hi OP I am a user of a MBA, and am someone who has built their own windows desktop, so I can give some insights without being a shill. The MBA has fans, so ignore the dropkick that said otherwise. For study, MBA is quite good. Long battery life, slim form factor and light weight too. If the screen was higher resolution, you would drain battery quicker. You can als consider dell xps, or surface pro 4. Surface pro 4 is pretty nice, but worse integrated gpu, and heavy, meanwhile dell xps is pricy, and rivals MBA cost, and also runs windows 10, which is shittier than OSX for study, note taking.mba also has glorious Mac trackpads that no windows laptop can replicate, as well as multi touch gestures.

Electronics are meant to be replaced every 2-3 years.

>have a friend who studies IT
>wants a Mac so bad because employers would think he is smart
>also a metrosexual "idea guy" or in other words an omega born with a penis
>his MacBook Pro dies within 2 months
>thinks it died because he ran some beginner code in a wrong way
>turns out it's a common hardware error
>he still wants a mac

According to whom?

Moores law

How is the screen? For me viewing angles looked quite bad, but better than 1366px laptops

Resolution is like 1440 x900 or something. It's a tn panel, so viewing angles won't be as good as surface or xps, which I think, are both ips. Moving your head left or right won't be too bad, but it's most noticeable when changing the vertical angle.

Yes. I used the Macbook Air to play games and everything. Actually, now I'm using the 2015 "Macbook" which is more powerful than the Air and even cheaper.

Macbook Pro is a fucking meme.

>Things will break and it will be more expensive to repair then than to just buy the newest iProduct

Apple has replaced my battery, hdd and motherboard for free, 4 years after I bought the machine. I didn't have AppleCare.

no.

buy a used thinkpad for a fraction of the price

That's that dumb consumerist thinking.

Picked one up for £450 the other day, few scratches but works perfectly.

Mine is the 2014 model, insane battery life extremely light weight fast boot/OS with the SSD and good performance.

I've had it become 'warm' at times, but I've had other laptops that have worse heat issues, it's completely fine.

Nice keyboard, really good if you just want something to do some programming/web browsing/videos and some light tasks on.

Hope that helped.

I used to have a 2014 MacBook Air and now of a 2015 rMBP with discrete GPU. The Air was much slower and the screen is just too shit. If you can't afford to get a decent Mac you're probably better off getting a Windows laptop.

>I'm using the 2015 "Macbook" which is more powerful than the Air
If by more powerful you mean less powerful, yes it is. Enjoy your 1.1GHz Core M.

>Macbook Pro is a fucking meme.
t.poorfag

Absolutely this to be honest.

It has Retina display, SSD is double the size, double the RAM, weighs half as much as the air, better keyboard, force touch. All for £100 cheaper than my air.

I've noticed no different in performance. All the same games run fine. There has NEVER been a time when I wished it was more powerful. It does everything I need.

>better keyboard
I haven't used it but I've seen lots of complaints. How did you get it for less than an Air? In the states the MacBook costs more than the Air.
>All the same games run fine.
And what games are those? Half-Life 2? Source games and Starcraft 2 were about the best I could run on my MacBook Air. My Pro can run GTA V at quality settings similar to the PS4.

Battery life is pretty good, so if you want some browsing, just doing some documents or watch videos for half a day, go ahead. Anything else? It's utter garbage and will freeze.

Fuck all of Sup Forums who disagrees with me but

>tfw fell for the thinkpad meme
>went through T60 and two X200s
>both turned to shit in like 12 months
>the plastic shells started deteriorating
>the keyboard caps were too shiny and slippery
>the battery was a big pain in the ass
>getting 1-2 hours of life on the charge
>literally impossible to get original replacement batteries without paying through the nose
>getting a chink battery means putting my life in the hands of satan because it might explode
>even if it doesn't explode the battery life is questionable
>only the T60 came with dedicated graphics but it's too heavy for an EDC laptop as a commuter
>Windows 8 onwards is utter garbage

And that, my lads, is why I finally got myself an 11-inch MacBook Air and fully switched to the Apple ecosystem shortly thereafter. The model I got with its i5 processor is first of all decades ahead of any old Thinkpad you can think of. The SSD is insanely fast. And the battery life is just unheard of for me. This is the best laptop I've ever had.

Next, I'm looking to get the 12-inch Retina MacBook, but the Air that I have right now doesn't really have major faults apart from the screen. But you can live with it if you use the laptop mostly indoors.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me anything, OP.

I bought my Air used, an early 2014 model. It has a single core i5 1.4ghz, 4gbs ram, and a 121gb ssd.

Sounds shit, but honestly it's super fast and rarely struggles. It'll play Minecrat and similar low-requirement games at over 60fps, and skyrim at about 20 fps (unplayable, but not bad considering).

I use it for uni, it's honestly a great laptop you won't have problems, and i advise you to buy second hand

>i5 processor
>ahead of any old Thinkpad
>wut is X220

install macos on that sucka too if "muh ecosystem"

i fell for the meme and got an x220 and it was far slower than my most entry level mba, don't fall for the thinkpad meme op

Are you stupid? the X220 was released in 2011 with an i5 2520U for the base model if I'm not mistaken. The early 2015 Air which I have uses a Core i5 5250U. It's literally 5 years ahead of the X220 in terms of silicon. You're a fucking moron.

Was a thinkpad guy since the butterfly keyboard days but switched to MBA, it's fucking great. Unix userland without the bullshit of linux on a laptop. I've got the i7 version and it runs a couple vboxes all day long no problem. Battery life is ridiculous.

Buy a thinkpad. All Apple is shit if you don't buy the highest end.

Yup, and see
Plus

cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-5250U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2520M

You probably haven't upgraded the HDD faggot

>he thinks i5-2520U exists

what exactly do you want to do with it?
it's good if all you're going to do with it is surf the web, work (like writing stuff or making presentations), digital art maybe.
if you want to do heavy stuff on it like video editing, gaming, VMs, then you might want to think twice before buying it.

>2016
>1440*900
>TN Panel

>needing more than 80x24

i had an sad actually, didn't make much of a difference

end the thinkpad meme 2016

kek

The T60 and X200s are garbage anyways with a shitty processor. Should've gotten a T420 to be docked or X201 or X220 for portability

>turned to shit in two months
T61 was from 2007 and X200s in 2008, it's 2016, either it was already in poor condition or it was just the end of it's life.

>keyboard caps were too shiny
Replacements are like $25 on eBay.

>the battery was a big pain in the ass
If you're still using the battery that it came with, then yes I can attest that it's either 1-3 hours or just dead. Chink replacements are actually decent, my T420 lasts for 8 hours on a full charge on Wifi while shitposting and watching YT videos.

>literally impossible to get original replacement batteries without paying through the nose
More like it's impossible to get one from Lenovo especially on other models, you can't expect them to keeps making parts on items that only Sup Forums has demand for.

>getting a chink battery means putting my life in the hands of satan because it might explode.
bought a chink battery a year ago and works fine till now, constantly being charged and used

>only the T60 came with dedicated graphics but it's too heavy for an EDC laptop as a commuter
I'll agree with this, but still considering it was nearly a decade ago, you're in no position to complain

>Windows 8 onwards is utter garbage
Again, the specs is utter garbage

I have a MacbookPro 2014, 2 T420, 1 X220 and 1 X201T and I'm with all of them, I only bought a MBP for work to since most of the docs are from Pages and Numbers, I have the T420 as a different machine to run OS and also as a test system, the X220 for EDC and the X201T was just given to me and is still stored. Again it's up to preference, but you're retarded if you're complaining on an already shitty and cheap product and expecting excellency out of it.

"the laptops are great if you expand a huge amount of time and energy in order to make them usable whilst tolerating the shitty parts out of pride"

nice meme

here's the dirty little secret about intel core chips: their overall performance hasn't improved much over the last 6 years. you're just getting power efficiency. a sandy bridge x220 will run macos very, very well for the $150 they go for these days

My 2014 died within 2 months of ownership requiring a logic board + ssd replacement. Came out to about $900 for all repairs. Would've been fucked if it wasn't still on Applecare. Just get a dankpad T420. It's more versatile and you're not ready for that Apple life. Trust me.

Why can't you mactoddlers face the truth?

>i5-2520M
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-2520M @ 2.50GHz
>i5-5250U
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-5250U @ 1.60GHz

Damn X220 is only $150 now? I don't even need a laptop yet the urge to pick one up is intensifying.

try it some time. $150 isn't much to prove to me and yourself and the world that more newer always = better than

You're a fucking lying piece of shit. Any Thinkpad with a post first generation Core processor will run circles around your overheating piece of shit, shitty filesystem having MBA. Who the fuck do you think you're fooling? I can't stand liars.

some dude shat up /tpg/ for like a week bragging about his $100 t430 so yeah bud there's some good deals out there

>two generations old processor
>TN screen with low resolution

why would you pay apple premium for outdated technology?