Best "Just Werks" Distro & DE?

I already run the edgy minimal setups on my other pc's...I'm trying to decide on a more normie setup for my daily tasks. Right now I'm on Debian stable with Gnome shell and its very lame. I'll probably at least switch to Debian testing and xfce but I wanna know what "just werks" setup Sup Forums recommends?

Linux mint MATE.

Linux mint Cinnamon if you want something more refined.

Mint is too lax on security. I don't really care how hard the OS install is...I'm more concerned with a DE i guess...I've been using wm's so long I don't know what to pick. Why do you like MATE over xfce?

>Gnome Shell
Korora. It's basically the Linux Mint of Fedora. It's plain Fedora with the shit you need to do to have an everyday user distro already done for you. Alternatively, you could just install Fedora and run Fedy which is a quick setup tool that does the same kind of thing Korora does.

I'd recommend Fedora 24 since Fedora 25 ships with GNOME 3.22 so this means half of your extensions won't be working anymore and Wayland has some little issues. Though you can select not to use Wayland before logging in.

Is it hard to add 3rd party repos?

Xubuntu 16.04 GNU/Linux is perfect as a just werks distro.

I wouldn't say so. The ones most people would add for media codecs and whatever else is RPMFusion and UnitedRPMs. There's instructions on both repo's sites if you want to do it by command line or you can just do it by double-clicking an .rpm file.

Outside of those there's repos for single programs you'll find on copr like Brackets where you just have to type "dnf copr enable [repo name]" in a terminal and you're done. If you're used to adding PPAs on Ubuntu it's really not that far off.

Fedora is actually pretty easy to use, though I only recommend it to GNOME users since Ubuntu GNOME is terrible but I hear the Cinnamon spin is great too if you're worried about security like mentions. For everything else, just stick to *buntu.

Antergos with Cinnamon

Lubuntu is a "just werks" with minimal footprint and just the tools for the trade, nothing else.

The DE doesn't get in your way.

Elementary

I used XFCE for years but on a machine with say 6 gb or more RAM I'm able to run gnome 3 and I really like it. It's totally personal preference man they all do the same thing.

Elementary is literally for plebs.

Linux for Niggers

LFN is best *buntu

thanks doc

>Ubuntu GNOME is terrible
Just started using it a few days ago. Elaborate.

Solus

For the most up to date, clean and stable GNOME experience, Fedora is just the way to go. 16.04 is stuck on 3.18. On 16.10, I get error messages on a fresh boot after installation. Animations are slow and laggy after a couple minutes of uptime. My whole desktop occasionally freezes for a good 30 seconds then resumes after a black screen and a gnome-shell has crashed error message. It does not play nicely with a dual monitor setup. On a side note, I like the fact that RH has contributors to GNOME making it close to the "official" GNOME distro.

If it works fine for you, then that's pretty great but GNOME is known to be subpar under Ubuntu when compared to other distros. Try Fedora through a live CD and compare if you want.

Xubuntu is the way to go if you want just werks

Arch doesn't "just werk" so I'll go for Manjaro

Gentoo Linux with GNU removed.

antergos with mate

done.

What about Cinnamon? I don't really want to install another OS now that I've already moved all my files over.

Ubuntu LTS with Unity.
/thread

Never tried Cinnamon on Fedora for more than a few hours. All I can say is that it seems to work fine. Just try a live CD, user.

And look into putting your home folder on a separate partition and have it persist through distro swapping. You can then just mount it on future installs.

>look into putting your home folder on a separate partition
I would, but I'm still new to Linux and not very confident in my ability to screw with partitions (hence why I'm using Ubuntu GNOME). For what it's worth, though, Cinnamon seems to work fairly well on Ubuntu.

install solus

none of them

the only way to get something that "just werks" in UN*X-land is by building shit from the ground up with a minimal wm

.desktop entries are a fucking disgrace