What went wrong?

What went wrong?

last thing microsoft did right was windows XP

Microshaft used ARM processors instead of x86 ones.

They could have easily gotten away with making phones that used x86 processors, windows 8, and had a precision stylus for mouse input.

But they didn't, instead they tried to create a half-assed special snowflake OS.

>too late
>lazy marketing
>lack of flagship devices
>too much mid or low range phones who are too similar
>lack of apps
i had a 925 and a 930 and they were good, but not as near as good as android or ios. wasted potential.

The retarded UI

Lacked a lot of widely used apps at launch, which put a lot of people off. So few apps lead to poor sales, which intern scared developers off. It's a shame because compared to android it was/is a well optimised user friendly mobile OS.

Microsoft probably should have bankrolled app development when it first launched to help get things off the ground.

the interface was actually very pleasant to use. no wasted space, all informations you need to preview in the tiles.

I love the 950xl, but had to return it because of the lack of apps. Microsoft does things well, but they're usually late to market. In this case, late to market meant the developer train had already left the station.

>Lacked a lot of widely used apps at launch, which put a lot of people off.
>no native fb-app from fb
>no snapchat (this was actually the final nail in the coffin since teens demand this)
>many popular apps on android and ios were only available als third party apps
>too much abandoned apps

They tried to copy apple and didn't realize that
- nobody thinks that MS are the hip guys ike apple
- nobody wants another apple-esque locked down piece of shit, especially developers don't
Remember that MS mobile users were cucked a few times, too:
- when they switched to Windows phone 7 and made anything old incompatible
- when they did not upgrade phones from 7 to 8
- when they did not upgrade my phones from 8 to 10, especially some flagship ones

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

no apps...thats it. the ui was always smooth, functional, and nice to look at. I miss my 925

This

Literally nothing wrong with Windows Phones, they were just too late to the marketplace.

Microsoft is always a late player, ie Zune, Windows Phone, Bing

Somehow Xbox did good despite coming after PS2

from a perspective of developer that tried
> need to pay for license to submit anything to the market
> very strict quality check before app market submission, taking up to a week (!!!) on a single version push/new app submit
> unclear, undocumented API. you could literally learn more from a conference than from the official documentation
> VERY limited phone API, unexpected API usages blocked before submission (eg. my LED/light sensor chat app)
> close to no consumer audience to aim for

Here you go. I still use my lumia though, it's a very good phone.

Too late.
Ballmer got buttmad because Apple invented the iPhone and so he kept pretending that Smartphones were merely a fad that would quickly go away.

Eventually, when he couldn't deny the success of Smartphones anymore, it was too late.

>They could have easily gotten away with making phones that used x86 processors, windows 8, and had a precision stylus for mouse input.

Xbox had a working network service and PS only had PS online. Other than that their launch titles really blew anything away PS had to offer.

This, and just the right amount of customization.

no updates

have 925 for about 2years - it is bretty good if you do not need app for every minute and every shit you do. Basic things like browsing, messaging, skype, office, music etc. works flawlessly

It's a great OS and the bang for buck is one of the best. Unfortunately it seems to be dying.

I bought my 640 about one year ago and loved it. All apps I cared about were there so I didn't miss a thing. This year things the situation got real shitty for me:
- happn didn't work for like 6 months
- facebook messenger has been broken for at least one month
- whatsapp video call never worked

>and had a precision stylus for mouse input.

people were too close minded and while the actual OS was quite interesting the phones they were running were very boring and couldn't get market interest

Xbox 360 came out marginally before the PS3 didn't it?

Lumia 930 and before that HTC 8X owner here, agree with this. The Lumia 930 is pretty good, the keyboard is god tier and the phone is responsive all around. It's just a shame that the apps never materialised. Also, HERE maps were far superior to the replacement that Microsoft came with. It was superior to Google Maps when it first came out, they just let it stagnate for too long.

They did.
They bankrolled it so so much.
It didn't matter. Even with microdongs giving developers money to port their existing apps, no-one was interested.

>since teens demand this
I'm 26 years of age and use Snapchat very often. It's running on my work phone. I use it to communicate with both co-workers and customers since I work in interior design.

2013-2015 Windows Phone, 2015-current Android user here

The thing that really puts me off from Windows phones are two things.

>Internet Browser
>Navigation apps

Chrome on Android is fucking excellent, fast scroll is a godsend, and Google maps is extremely precise and accurate.

The rest of the apps I don't care about, I don't need social media apps.

But my Moto G4 was really affordable and performs great so I see no reason to switch back. I still think WP had the best home screen interface but that alone is not enough of a reason to go back.

it's dominating around teens and twens, so if the platform does not support it, it's dropped.

>microsoft
>give ceo title to pooinloo
need to say more?

No apps. The same thing that killed BB10.

Sandy Nutella is actually a decent CEO, my biggest problem with Microsoft right now is that now that Windows development was shifted to India and Win10 is now as buggy as Win98.

I like lumia as a brand, like the nokia hardware deisgn philosophy is so pleasant, same with a lot of microsoft hardware. Plus my 635 has seen so much abuse, yet still works perfectly. I've gone through a 5s, an htc desire, and another htc desire, always going back to my lumia when they broke.

yeah, the browsers available for windows phone are absolutely trash my man.

Microsoft pretty much killed off Nokia, meanwhile the lumia phones were the best around hardware-wise. They were even innovative sometimes: for example. they were the first to have glance (time/notifications displayed when the screen is off).

Windows Phone was/is a very good mobile OS, it could have been the very best, but it never got updates, not even bugfixes. Windows 10 Mobile is practically still in beta-testing even though it was officially released.

I switched from a Lumia 1520 to a Blackberry Priv and there are many features that I miss (for example YouTube playing audio when it's in the background. FFS. What the fuck? Every poo in loo unofficial YouTube app had that on Windows Phone.

If it weren't for Microsoft, Nokia might have gone the Blackberry route of releasing at least *some* Android phones. That would really have saved them.

As for apps, that's not the issue. Especially now that almost every normie app is available (including Tinder, Snapchat etc.)

Google bribing people to not allow even third party apps

the app store infested with fake apps, islam prayer time, and koran apps.

and the $8 tic tac toe apps.

about a year i think. but it had the RROD issue for several years. even the last iteration still ran hot as fuck with fans.

Desktop x86 software would never have worked on right on a phone

except x86 never would have worked until recently and intel shut that idea down anyways.

when windows phone first came out there was no way to make a normal sized phone that was powerful enough to run full windows. the tech just wasn't there. you might as well be asking why they didn't have the internet directly feed into our brains via some cyberpunk tier implant

>very good mobile OS
>never got updates, not even bugfixes
>As for apps, that's not the issue
kys moron

W O R D F L O W
O
R
D
F
L
O
W

No apps because no marketshare because no apps

t. 640 user

Devs stuck in outdated releases of Visual Studio that dont support Xamarin.

Devs only make win7 software and ignore w10 store.

But android gets away with that

No (less) apps

I had a WP7 device and then a WP8 device and they were fine. Both OS'es ran smooth even on pretty low end specs. Just got frustrating when you knew useful apps (like for banking etc) were going to be android or ios but no windows version.

Everything

Arrived way too late.

And, WP7 had incomplete API that couldn't even do shit like allow apps to toggle back to allowing display sleep after disabling display sleep (you could only disable sleep -- then the device would be stuck in no sleep mode until you quit out of the app).

Then WP8, which has more complete API that allowed developers to develop apps with iOS or Android-level feature completeness, took forever to arrive after WP7 dropped.

Not made with Java.

When did you try? 7? 7.x? 8? 8.x? 10?

API transitioning was a mess. It's still ugly, but not nearly as bad, provided you target 10.

Though the target is largely enterprise. Server management, SharePoint, Exchange, etc. If you're heavily vested in these things, Windows is the best option. If not, it's bordering on pointless.

I can tolerate Andriod on a tablet, and can't stand iOS. But Windows is comfy, and Continuum makes life easy for all the terminals I manage. I already have a VDI infrastructure and manage phones, so now I can do both with one device.

Also, Intel has just recently started to meet power envelopes for phone level mobile. Most of the Intel CE devices were Intel's PXA CPU's. Not x86.

but the surface 4 pen actually works on my lumia 920 with wp8 really well
not that I use it, looks stupid, but it works flawlessly

They stopped making those.

google updates it's own devices and 9 out of 10 wp are from ms themselves, they have no excuses.

They didn't actually put windows there, they put some shitty OS with little apps.
If they would've installed windows there would've been a shit-ton of programs to be installed.

>x86 phone

2little2late

Microsoft really didn't give windows phone enough backing for it to beat apple/google.

People had already been burned by windows mobile multiple times by the time it came out. Why buy a knockoff of what apple/google were doing from a chronic fuckup?

No muh gaems

Edge scrolls really well. Even better than chrome.

I think the Nokia branding. Since the rise of Android and iOS and since the fall of Nokia, Nokia was synonymous with cheap phones, and not the good type of cheap. Brand awareness became so narrow, people around me would call any touchscreen phone "iPhone", and only with the commercial success of the Samsung Galaxy S3, they learned to differentiate between "iPhone" and "Galaxy". To this day, people don't realize different Android devices were very similar to theirs.
People don't even know Nokia did something since the old durable plastic devices. People don't know there's a Windows phone OS.

Is windows 10 mobile really that bad?

>there is a timeline where WP and BB10 are the dominate competing OS and Android and iOS are failed, ill-advised experiments
>we aren't living in that timeline

windows phone has no apps.

xbox one has no games.

What's wrong with Homer's car?

>Somehow Xbox did good despite coming after PS2
You couldn't pirate for PS3 for long time.

>there were no windows smartphones before windows phone

uhhh
windows mobile was great

Yes. It's so half-baked compared to modern Androids and iPhones.

>last thing microsoft did right was windows XP

Confirmed underage. XP was an utter and complete clusterfuck that you had to reinstall every two months. It wasn't until SP2 that it was somewhat stable, and even then it was pretty easy to break.

Best mobile OS ever

I was an intern in Windows Mobile when the iPhone was first announced and I distinctly remember the response from at least one of our GMs which went to the tune of "Consumers don't want smart phones, we'll be fine, our power/business users love WM the iPhone will totally flop"

Next year when I was hired full time, that dude and a bunch of others had left for other orgs or were fired and the entire focus was building WP7. We got that out the door in 2010 but by then, Verizon's "Droid" campaign had long given Android legs and the iPhone was a massive success. It was just way, way too late IMO.

not enough fart apps and other normie shit

this

You take that back.
Winphones have the best mobile interface out there.
Expecially with winphone 8.1
Win10 is a step back.

Too little too late is more of a reason, and the vicious cycle of less apps > less users > less developers > less apps

Also ms philosophy of dropping support or never fixing problems, just to focus on adding new shiny barely functioning new stuff.

Something's wrong with it? No one told me.

>Upcoming Buttcummer Cookups

Not at all.
Worse than its predecessor, but still a better intetrface than android.
At least up to 4.4

who's that fat whale in the background? kek

fewer*

>locked down
>late to the market
>no apps because no marketshare because of the above
>overpriced flagships that no one wants because above
>dropped support on wp7
>didn't move to x86 to run legacy windows
>was going to integrate Android(admitting defeat but probably a good idea) but instead shut Downer

Wasn't x86 with full windows and USB ports

This

ugly as shit

And it doesn't need to be and never will be x86. Windows 10 runs on ARM and MS teamed up with Qualcomm to develop the next gen of ARM mobile devices with Continuum. x86 will be dead before Windows Mobile is.

x86 gives you access to all software made since the dawn of PCs. You can't play dwarf fort on ARM

The Zune was a beautiful piece of hardware. Shame about the software, though.

>installing programs designed for a desktop on a smartphone

just fucking stop with this meme

>tfw playing majikoi a-2 on my windows tablet

Not the guy you're replying to but I only ever had to reinstall the OS once from what I remember, but I also remember it being easier to get viruses than it is now. Either that or I'm just more careful than I used to be.

Also, Windows Mobile had basically no apps, an ugly UI, and ads on the home screen.

Reality has an Android bias.

I actually liked the sofware for the most part. The windows program was pretty meh but the zune itself was a joy to use.

X86 on mobile maybe. We'll have it on pc likely until we move on to materials other than silicon at the soonest.

They took a step back with Win10. Multitasking is shit on my 650. Always staring at that resume screen every time I switch apps. Some apps even restart completely. The memory management is far too aggressive. On my old 630 with 8.1 I would only get the resume screen after having 3 or 4 apps open and that phone only had 512mb ram. The 650 has 1gb and it's just terrible. That's my only gripe though. Everything else on it works perfectly. Sometimes I wish I had kicked in the extra cash for a 950 though.

Windows phone 7 leaves terrible impression...
Slow app load, no alternative browser (use our IE9 or fuck you), compatibility problems literally everywhere, totally uncustomizable, and lastly, betrayal to the early adopters by making it impossible to upgrade to wp8.

Too many people jumped ship from nokia to android/iphone because of that.

ContWp7 devices are slow performer masked by the illusion of smooth UI. The sales of nokia's wp7 device are not bad actually, it was microsoft ignorance to user feedback that kills wp8.

>What went wrong?
see filename for reference
- Sent from my Windows Phone

>If they would've installed windows there would've been a shit-ton of programs to be installed.
windows 10, ever heard of it?

you're a fucking idiot
Every time you went into your contacts list, and touched a person's name, the call automatically starts happening. It doesn't give you a box asking if you want to call the person or not, it just calls them. Its so counteractive anyway, because touching a person's contact info should send you to an option menu that lets you call the person, text, email, view contact information, or edit contact information, but it doesn't, it just decides for you.

I'm sorry you're a retard user. Really sorry.
It's a phone, of course the primary action when touching a contact is calling, it's what you will do 99% of the times when touching a contact.
It's a good design choice on a phone.

>99% of the time
bullshit, android doesn't do that, the iphone doesn't do that, old phones aren't an issue because scrolling and selecting are separate buttons (not just one touch screen that interprets scrolling and pressing based on context), but windows phone operating systems are the only ones that fuck up the interface in every possible way.