/hpg/ - Headphone General

Turn up the volume Edition

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>not owning Beats by Dre
Just admit it, you're not as financially well off as you'd like to be.

I listen to 128 kbps youtube rips with my unequalized HD 800s paired (that word really turns me on) with a Bottlehead Crack tube amp and it sounds good to me and that's all that matters because sound is subjective.

cheaper than my cheapest headset

Yeah man, no need to be obsessed with memes like lossless and HD audio

I'm looking at the DT770s and the Fostex T50RP Mk3s

Currently using MDR-V6s, so I don't need another flat headphone. Mobo audio, but plan to get a DAC/amp down the road.

>headset

You'll need the amp, why no open headphones?

Still live with people. Also I usually listen to my music quieter, and don't like hearing neighbours make any noise.
My budget is only $150, and I feel like if I get an open back, it'll be a higher end nice pair.

But I'll take any recs and info

The T20RP's are bassier than the T50's if that's what you're looking for.

770 are good
t50 aren't
that's about it

should i shell out 100 $ for m40x with hm5 pads or is there a better option for 100?

MKIII's are only better it if youre going to modify them. Otherwise 770's by far.

For closed neutral-ish, no.

Not really looking for bass, just something that does bass extremely well.

Any other "good" cans?

Wait, that came out wrong.
I meant no there isnt a better option.

Budget?

$150 max

I'm worried about the DT770s having too much niggerbass, I do want clarity .
People keep saying "these are better than m50s", but the fact that 770s are even compared to m50s makes me think they are not good.

Check out Fidelio L2's

>I'm worried about the DT770s having too much niggerbass, I do want clarity.
They have a lot of clarity in the low end and highs, but their mids are just too recessed to really give full detail.

>People keep saying "these are better than m50s", but the fact that 770s are even compared to m50s makes me think they are not good.
People compare them to the M50x because they have a similar response, but actually produce a fucking listenable sound. M50x do get bashed a bit more than they deserve here. They're okay field monitors, though I'd take MDR's over them any day for that purpose. DT 770's measure better in other regards too, along with being a fuck ton more comfortable.

I wouldn't quite classify them as niggerbass, as the low end is very accurate, whereas most people would say niggerbass is raw amount, which usually leads to just straight mud. They have fucking brilliant sub-bass too.

T50RP's on the other hand, have excellent drivers with raw quality out the ass, but they're tuned like complete shit. They have very rolled off low end, resulting in it lacking a lot of depth. If you actually go and spend time and modify them, you end up with a fucking excellent headphone for the price of a lot shittier one, along with being able to tune them exactly to your preferred singature. You can milk even more out of them if you get a pair of cheap mics and build a measurement rig, if only so you can measure distortion and balance.

Take a look at what ZMF did with them. You might want to look into pre-modded T50's too. Talos or Modhouse Argons are fairly popular.

if you don't want bass, consider 7506
if you're afraid of treble as well, consider m40x

He already has V6's.

>literally in distress
HD599 with soundcard or dac/amp for gaming and music?

Sound card is enough

>Budget
Around $200-250
>Location
USA
>Source
Galaxy S7 or Fiio E18 Kunlun
>Type of headphone
Wireless Over-ear, noise isolating or cancelling preferred
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to wear for 1-2 hours at a time
>Sound signature
Mostly neutral or a little bit of bass
>Past headphones
HD 598

I'd like something I can wear while walking around without a wire danging around

how do i get that """"7.1 surround"""" meme going with these? software?

Software or soundcard drivers.

K612 is better

Where can i get wooden cups for my T50rp MKIII like these?

How do you like the t50s?
Modded or unmodded?

they are decent but they have a lot of potential

>58049118

The dumbest is the stair-step bullshit people use to shit on digital conversion.

With Moffat, the funniest thing is how there is a leap in logic from:
>closed-form filter coefficients
>superior sound because it is not an approximation

Very cynical and misinformed. The point is that sampling theory means even non-closed form filters work for providing transparent sound.

And then there is the claimed correlation to improved imaging even though it doesn't change spatial perception.

HRTFs and all that stuff are actually really easy concepts to grasp, but it is shocking how ignorant so many are to it - to them, sound is arcane and perception beyond all explanation.

>58046385

Many enthusiasts wank around with multiple mid-priced headphones plus a DAC and amp. The total expense of quite a few enthusiasts would actually approach a Realizer setup.

Remember the Schiit Yggdrasil costs 2300 already and that's considered affordable for its 'performance'.

So I'm assuming lazily unloaded.

How do they sound at low volumes? Any complaints of sharp treble or recessed bass?

Bass is rolled off that is true

>>closed-form filter coefficients
>>superior sound because it is not an approximation
well, there's also the problem that any physical realization is imperfect.

What dac/amp?

Sony UDA-1

Hmmm still wondering if it's worth getting babbys first planars

if you have the amp for them and might mod them then sure

Should I really buy the Takstar Pro 80/ Cloud? I'm literally in front of the item but I'm still indecisive.

Don't have the amp,
Was gonna buy the amp down the road

Any other recs in that price range?

HE 400s, a planar that can actually be easily driven

Too bad they're $100 more.
Could probably find a DAC/amp to power the t50s for the difference.

Those are ZMF cups. Dunno if they sell them separately.

fulla 2 or objective 2
no dac
k7xx's
I just learned of both of these
and now that I have money I'm
not sure which to buy and suggestions?

I'm confused on what you're asking. Can you restructure your post so its actually English, please?

:3c
My Christmas present got here

fulla 2

what a fuck up

the t50rps need shure pads, they are like $200

:3c

HM5 Hybrids work on them just as well, which are under $30

Maybe but they are nowhere near as good as shure pads

O2 is the only amp you'll ever need.

Why are audiophiles triggered by this?

I prefer them to the Shures in terms of sound. The Shures are more comfy, but not by much. I'd take the slight sound improvement over the slight comfort improvement.

Though If you're going for a more airy sound I can see the Shures working better.

Autism. DIY O2 is god.

Headphone noob here. Could anybody tell me the difference between the sennheiser hd 598 and hd 599? Thanks in advance.

Bought these and burned them in, highly satisfied.

>burned them in
What's the difference?

>The main purpose of the burn in process is to loosen the diaphragm of a newly crafted headphone and to stress the headphone driver.

jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in

nice meme, did you get your headphones fresh from the conveyor belt pre-QC?

So you heard no difference at all? You just linked us a text from a website...

Maybe it's the placebo effect but the bass seemed a bit punchier while still sounding precise and not murdering the mids and highs. I can't see why people say the headphone lacks allot of bass unless you're comparing it to beats bass.

It's called your ears adjusting, not burn-in

i think he meant he burnt in the drivers my guy.

I mean there's no burn-in at all my man

you think so? it makes sense to me for a driver to sound better after some use and some current through them but i really dont have the science to back that up.

How would you rank the T50 with the DT770?

do you only buy headphones from manufacturers who would never test products before sending them out?

i meant some substantial current, not just a beep to check if theyre doa.

Thats not what their qc is my dude
Unless youre buying supercux maybe

i dont think they pink noise it in a humid room inside a sound absorbant farraday cage for 72 hrs tho

so my X2s went to shit after less than a month of getting them. i dont get sound in both ears unless i angle the cord a certain way, so i think theyre rip. i was super gentle with them but it happened anyway

anyway, dont really want to take a risk and get another pair.

i got an E10K with them and it works really well, but id like suggestions on a replacement pair of cans.

$250-$300 range preferrably, with good bass like the X2s, and at least decent build quality so i dont have to exchange a 2nd time. i live in the US, and i dont rly care about much else.

thx

where does this 72 hrs figure come from

you know nothing about electrical engineering or transducers in general, what makes you qualified to even claim any benefit from your fabled burn-in?

Are you that dumb to grab a soldering iron and fix them urself?

>X2s
Just get a replacement cable, the removal cable is there for a reason.

i really am not interested in wasting any more time on these. sure i could solder and whatever, but since manufacturing for the X2s was relocated, a lot of people have reported bullshit going on with them. im not interested in spending time fixing problems they may have down the road, just wanna replace them and move on.

lol chill out, i feel like im hearing what the headphone was truly meant to sound like when its burned it thas jus me. might be a placebo

go to head-fi

its not the cable. tested it with 4 different cables on 3 different devices and its the same story across the board

>Budget

>Source
phone, pc

>Type of headphone
?
>Open or closed
open

>Comfort level
the more comfortable the better

>Sound signature
?

>Past headphones
None

Looks are also important.

>Budget
"around 50 bucks"
>Location
Europe
>Source
no idea, probably some phone jack
>Type of headphone
"earbuds", but I doubt he minds IEMs
>Past headphones
JBLs

friend's into tame metal etc. Not sure what to recommend

philips shp9500

$1500 = Nirvana. Step One: Buy an Oppo HA-1. Step 2: Buy a pair of BD DT770s, wire them for Balanced Operation. Step 3 = ???

Can anyone help me with this one?

>wire them for Balanced Operation
why? to get double the output impedance? you can just stick a resistor in there

So close to pulling the trigger on 770s

T50 are worse stock
Modded they can easily surpass the 770's.

Audio-Technia ATH-MSR7

Beyond Crazy resolution that can be driven with a cellphone....

558's, or 9500's if you cant find the 558's for cheap enough.

Nigga Pls. My Whole System is Balanced, the whole way thru. Phono Cartridge, too, but that doesn't compare to SACD. Balanced gets you an automatic extra +6 dB from whatever source, including it's Output to a pair of headphones from an HA-1. No Common Ground between L or R. Good Stuff!

Fulla is a dac/amp
O2 is just an amp

i don't know what i'm talking about the post

Just looked up the Mayflower mod on the T50s, and it's piss easy, doesn't even involve soldering. My mother does crafting shit, she probably already has all the materials.

The only problem is I don't have an amp/DAC yet. Would a new motherboard at 90% volume power them for the time being?

Bose QC35

People who post this picture seem to always have extreme autism, its just one of those things I seem to see on here.
No one but crazy people post this.

Like when those T-shirts were popular with a squirrel that said "These are my nuts" / "I'm nuts", only slightly insane people wore them.

All Of You: First, buy a truly Hi-Res source, with Hi-Res Medium - I'll pay you back if it doesn't sound Way Better! Think SACD, BluRay Audio, DVD-A, Tidal. Then, buy a system with enough playback resolution, rougly 120dB Dynamic Range. Well Then. Oppo HA1. Sure, the Chord is out there too...

Thanks for the recs, guys

Well, Thx. I try not to be ordinary