Gentoo Thread

Can we get a Gentoo thread going?

How many of you actually have the meme OS installed on bare metal?

How did you set it up? What USE flags did you set before doing the emerge --ask --update --newuse --dep @world to set a base for the system?

Also general Gentoo desktop screenshot thread

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/funtoo/funtoo-overlay/tree/master/profiles/funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>desktop screenshot thread
ok

Get help.

congrats! ur #7000

>Can we get a TempleOS thread going?

please no

Is my prize a nice, sensual blow job?

How long it takes to compile the whole thing?

march=native or march=haswell for a haswell cpu? Does it matter?

Depends on your system and packages

Anywhere from two to three days.

girls can love girls

For the initial installation plus xorg and a minimal desktop environment plus my favorite software, 3 days lol

nice

:3

i don't know why but somehow I get the feeling this isn't gentoo

prove it

2hours for system+WM 3.5hours total for system+WM+Firefox+Chromium

Monitoring this thread.

I want to learn the ins of GNU/Linux, therefore I'm going to try this on a VM.

I'm doing it in a VM right now

get used to waiting for it to compile all day so you have to wait around or go do something else

cute wallpaper

Planning on doing it over Christmas break

default/linux/amd64/13.0 + github.com/funtoo/funtoo-overlay/tree/master/profiles/funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu

Set profile
Enable global flags sparingly

Funtoo is better

if you want it

how

sorry im too retarded, what does this do?

what setup do you have in mind

instaling new os
something fucked up screenfetch

Been using it for years now.
It truly is the best of GNU/Linux.
I'm not memeing.

Just a question about Gentoo, but why the fuck is there even an ISO installer for it
The entire installation is just ripping a tar file, getting portage, and compiling the kernel. The only thing the iso is for is the shell. Literally what's the point. You could burn anything else as long as it has a shell on it
Screenfetch fucks up on my gentoo as well. Use neofetch instead. Its better and has w3m support for

screenfetch works fine for me.
& It's just to have a sane controlled environment for people who aren't very experienced and will just copy and paste from the handbook. It keeps from people flooding the community with help requests because their environments aren't what is expected (no build tools, no wget installed, et cetera)

I didn't use the iso personally because afaik it didn't/doesn't have UEFI support.

I've just checked version
on gentoo i had 2.7...
on arch 3.7...

I've installed latest and it works

This is beautiful user
What are your general thoughts on Gentoo?
What is the green button on the post form?

Care to explain your experience with uefi support? This is a minor concern of mine. Does it pop up with a choice of OS's at boot time similar to grub? Ideally, I would like to choose the OS from the bios start, I plan to use separate disks for separate OS's. I don't want a situation like in grub where the bootloader is on both disks, and pops up first.

Is there a way to get bspwm to accept my mouse to switch focus to a window? Sometimes I like to sit back and hold my mouse while browsing and so I didn't like bspwm because of that.

zen-kernel master race

it's great. Lots of flexibility without REQUIRING attention.
You can use a desktop profile and a set of sane USE flags and have it just werk like any other distro, or you can tinker with it to any degree you like, from playing with program features to replacing core operating system software like the init system or the C/C++ library.
Plus, the hardened profiles are neat.
The only real con is the compile time (which is a non-issue on a reasonably powerful laptop or any desktop. It's only really annoying the first time you install because you have to just wait around for it to finish. Once you're up and running updates don't disturb you because you can keep working while they compile in the background using whatever amount of resources you allocate to the package manager).

Well, I personally detest grub so I've been using UEFI since the beginning. There are different ways to set it up though. If you dual boot you can create an entry in your UEFI to run a "boot loader" that sits on a drive (similar to grub, I guess. I've personally used rEFInd with great success, you can also obviously use this with only one OS/kernel) Another option is you can compile your kernel with efistub support, in which case your motherboard's UEFI can boot the kernel directly (which is supposedly faster)

set bspc config focus_follows_pointer to true in bspwmrc

I wish I could use BFS/BFQ on hardened

awesome, thanks!

click_to_focus
focus_follows_pointer

what is this browser is that?

says funtoo

wew lad

wow you are retarded

vimb in 'tabbed' tabs?

~3 hours

looks like dwb

Compiling gentoo on a raspberry, anyone did it? how long does it take?

>years
>888 packages

get pwned n00bs

I keep it tidy and make good use of --oneshot and --depclean

Did you install it on a toaster or are you pulling this out of your ass because you've never done it?

Anywhere from 2-4 hours.

> bare metal

yes I mined to ore for the iron for the chassis
mined copper for the pcb -- mined sand .. made a huge high tech furnace .. took me several decades to figure this out .. I then managed to design 1 simple IC. got a more complex IC up & running 11 years later. Then I got a full CAD IC designer up and running .. I managed to raise to the level of a pentium II. Im half dead now with fatigue. almost blind (astigmatism). Last friday I installed gentoo

Or you could rip nothing and just make sure you already have enough empty space on your hard drive to make the necessary partitions, then do it through your existing OS, as long as it has the necessary build tools and stuff.

vimperator

why ruby?

Native better. CPUs of the same generation but different revisions sometimes have different instructions support. So just let the compiler determine what your CPU supports.

march=haswell can be useful if for example you compile binary packages for haswell host on non-haswell machine.

that feel when want to use Gentoo again but I like macOS too much.

Thank you for the tips about bspwm. This is my favorite wm now!

What are your favorite flags? I want to know what options people pick.

Been using gentoo for around a year now as my main desktop OS. Around 900 packages now - mostly use for shitposting, media, and gaming.

Depending on your processor compile times aren't that long. The reason I love gentoo is the package manager. The ability to unmask testing versions of specific software or maybe the kernel but not for every package on the entire system is pretty cool. USE flags are a lot of fun - to individually set these on a per package basis as well is very nice.

Funtoo uses git for the package tree.

>uses funtoo
>gentoo website open
What are you doing ?

Gentoo site has a lot more documentation than Funtoo and they are basically the same.

Many Gentoo users implement similar funtoo changes such as git syncing, etc.

>he fell for the Gentoo meme
Good job, OP

Installed Gentoo on a VM to check it out. I like it a lot but compiling is pretty slow, how do the times compare with a real installation?

>He thinks Gentoo is a meme and not the best Linux distribution available

The real meme is "Gentoo is a meme"

So does Gentoo (just not by default yet, you just have to change 1 line)

>either 3 days or 3 hours
hmm not sure who to trust

Completely depends on your processor and the packages you install. A few hours to a few days is a legit guideline.

>USE="symlink vim-syntax zsh-completion"

I've been using Gentoo on desktop for few years now, got so used to it I would find it hard to switch to anything else.

I like how portage and overlays work, I like it uses OpenRC by default, I love the community at forums/irc, I hate [spoiler]that they send you your forums.gentoo.org pw in plain text.[/spoiler]

I've installed Gentoo on memepad 2 days ago and it runs great. Didn't time compile times, but compiling xorg-server with desktop profile seemed pretty fast. Firefox took about 30-40 minutes (make -j5, i5-2520m), but I will use distcc for big builds in the future.

Actual time spent compiling is the latter, assuming your processor is not two decades old.
If it's your first time with Gentoo and you mean getting system up and running, reading through handbook (and gentoo/arch wiki) will make it way longer.

takes about an hour to compile the kernel

the shit like xorg takes longer though

>needing an hour for the fucking kernel
are you using a rasperry pi?

>xorg takes longer then kernel
Xorg takes less than 2 minutes for me

>gentoo
>firefox
>I'm not memeing

oh, but you are, user, you are.

I'm bored and got a laptop I don't particularly need for anything. So I'm open to Gentoo.
Question, though: How much do you actually learn while installing Gentoo? Is it just following a guide/manual or do you learn how unix in general is set-up and works? Is that knowledge applicable to other shit or do you just become decent at Gentoo?

i have an old computer

Just do it and find out yourself.

like arch it depends on your knowledge beforehand

Depends on what you already know and how much you are willing to learn. You can literally just go through the handbook copy/pasting commands learn nothing and break it 2 days later or you can learn a lot about for example how to configure/compile a linux kernel or compilation options for software in general or many other things. My advise is take your time to learn and understand what you are doing while you go through it.

>not keeping your system clean
disgusting

media queries

So whats the difference between gentoo and funtoo anyways?

So what's the difference between your mother and a whore anyways?

march=native mtune=haswell

no one actually knows but you are automatically considered as a faggot when you use funtoo

Funtoo is bullshit, that's what.
the only difference is they have stage3 tarballs that are already compiled for certain subarchitectures (instead of downloading an x86_64 package and then recompiling with march=native on Haswell, you can download a Haswell stage3)

It's dumb desu.

Ok serious question. How come after a system wide update my mouse/keyboard just stops working?

If I run
emerge -av $(qlist -IC x11-drivers)
Then it just werks. But wtf is causing that to happen on multiple computers?

Something tells me it's not in your world file

are you sure you aren't compiling tons of kernel modules you don't actually need?
cleaning out my modules took it from nearly an hour to about 10 minutes for me.

someone emerge --search sblc, clisp and clozure, and post results

same, but for me when I used to use gentoo I would just unplug them and plug them back in, boom they work again. Actually it just crossed my mind, but try
env-update
after updating

probably, i disabled a bunch of shit but there was a lot i couldnt be bothered messing with, i might recompile taking a lot of crap out later

been wanting to /gentoo/, what does it have that attracts you to it
other than speed and customizability
for example, tell me about portage and it's capabilities

iirc there's some script which creates a config with all the currently loaded modules. I used that as a starting point for my new config and added additional modules whenever I needed them.

I think you're just a little dumb. never Heard of -j[corecount]? I can't image how long anything takes for you to compile if don't even optimize your MAKEOPTS

I'm currently in the middle of installing it on a VM because i'm a noob.

I remember using kernel-seeds.org a while back but it's been down for some time, is there something similar still maintained anywhere?