I need to get a laptop, and it seems that everyone is happy with the dell xps 13...

I need to get a laptop, and it seems that everyone is happy with the dell xps 13, but I recently also discovered that dell latitudes exist

>made for business
>durable, feels solid
>trackpoint, fingerprint sensor
>responsive full-size keyboard
>multiple touchpad buttons
>very solid selection of ports
>relatively light
>6th gen i7, 4GB ram and 1TB hdd for 800-900 dollars

This would be more than fine and dandy, but I need vr capablility and would prefer a solid state drive and a decent amount of ram, and the only ones that seem to be able to do this are 1.5" thick gaming laptops. Do I have to get one of these for vr capability? Also, if I didn't need vr capability, what laptop should I get?

Why the fuck would you use VR with a laptop? Do you want to use VR in a train or something?

I'd like the ability to do vr development without having to resort to a desktop, but I'm not sure it's possible.

>4GB ram and 1TB hdd for 800-900 dollars
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that's not a full keyboard retard

what is required for vr capability? good cpu and gpu?

Well, it is a business class laptop. That was me maxing out the specs. Dialing it down is much more affordable

it seems like its only on some models, pic related is the E5550

better than Intel Core i5 4590 and the desktop GTX 970, HDMI 1.4, or DisplayPort 1.2, or better and 1 usb port

whoops

i was going to buy a latitude but i decided to buy an elitebook instead. i probably made a mistake

elitebooks don't make very good linux machines

imagine not using a macbook pro

XPS was always a meme

Latitude and zbook have always been good

latitudes with good processors (not that mX trash) are really fucking expensive

Latitude is the best laptop to buy refurbished. lots of them available just like thinkpads without the autistic Thinkpad Tax

I'm on my 3rd of this century. 230 bucks with core i5, 8 gigs ddr3. It's cheaper and better than whatever plastic walmart shit you would pay 500 for new. I don't care about having super current top of the line specs because I'm not really gaming or doing anything intensive.

very good laptops, they don't break, they don't overheat, abunduance of parts if yu want to repair.... I buy them cheap because it's not worth repairing laptop most of the time. That being said, never had any issues with any one of my latitudes, all of which i computed the fuck out of. I prefer them to Thinkpads for the reason they tend to be ~100 dollars less for identical specs. Only think thinkpad people say is "muh keyboards" even though thinkpad keyboards have been nothing special for 10 years.

thinkpad still riding on the old IBM reputation. I could give a shit about nipples, never use it

also, the keyboard on my 6530 is amazing.

RIP 16:10 ratio though, don't think they make current ones with it. My 6500 has the god ratio but it's core2duo and senile af

What you're looking for is outside of your budget. Eluktronics makes some solid looking laptops without mechanical parts with dedicated graphics you can use for some development but not for anything practical.

What part of the development pipeline are you involved in?

Why?

I can't think of a practical reason to try to do any serious VR development on a laptop.

Get a 15" 2012/13 MBP Retina

you should get a Clevo laptop that has a GTX1070
that should be enough for VR

>elitebooks don't make very good linux machines
why? I'm considering them.

Get a laptop with thunderbolt and use a thunderboult to pci-e adapter with a large desktop GPU. We do this for VR demos on the road. It works very well.

th gen i7, 4GB ram and 1TB hdd for 800-900 dollars
Please buy it. The sooner you go broke paying for overpriced shit-tier goods, the sooner you can no longer pay your Internet bill and post on Sup Forums.

Looked into these and the only ones above 1080p here come with those shitty Intel M CPUs, which is the opposite of what you want for any usage cases that might motivate you to select a high resolution.

My 8460p works perfectly with debian

ok miranda

yeah!

4gb ram and a HDD? Is this 2010? And you want to dev? Pls dude, get your shit together. Also readsome shit about reqs for vr because not only do you need a big gpu but also a lot of physical connectors which are often not in laptops

what's more pathetic, being Sup Forums famous or recognizing ni/g/gers by their laptop?

being zambz

you should not be using a business laptop if you're not a businessman. I once bought one because of the better warranty and shit and dell literally refused to service it because I'm a student and not a businessman. watch out.

I have an EliteBook 2730p which is a tablet convertible and everything works on Linux out of the box: the Wacom input, the rotation, the buttons on the side.