Will today's kids even understand how computers really work?

Will today's kids even understand how computers really work?

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/3844483/millennials-secrets/
coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nope

do they really have to?
not like anyone programs in low-level languages anymore

Quantum physics is part of basic education in EU so probably yes. Not sure about Americucks.

if they want to.
people should stop pushing the meme that ever faggot on the earth needs to program.

The ones who wants to learn, there's a lot of people in our generation who grew up playing computer games but are still computer illiterates too

Mines (when I'll have) will. They won't get a fucking tablet, they'll use a PC/laptop and a phone.

>it's another aging-grampa-trying-to-feel-superior-about-his-generation-because-he-realizes-he-passed-his-prime episode
>pass the torch and retire already, old man.

No, but yesterday's kids didn't either. There are more kids now than ever who know computers.

Is the picture on the left from the movie war games?

Do you know how magic work?

>on Sup Forums
>having kids
>ever

Good programmers should know:
At least 2 high level languages
At least 2 low level languages
How compilers work

If you're not interested in knowing how the code you're writing actually works, what the fuck are you doing programming

>TFW wife is due at the end of March

>Will today's kids even understand how computers really work?
You don't understand how most things in your world work so don't start getting arrogant just because you think you know a little more than someone else.
Most hobbyists have a tech level about equal to someone using a can-opener and calling himself a chef.
This is why the tech jobs are filled from overseas.

Where? Not in Germany

To create? I think there are two parts when it comes to why programming is enjoyable:
The logic and actually understanding computers.
The creating, to open up an empty text file and simply create something. You dont need to know how a compiler works to enjoy this :)

>back in good old days!
shoot yourself

I don't plan on having kids so it doesn't really matter to me. I'll be old and angry on my front lawn soon enough anyways.

>tfw to intelligent too code in low and high level languages
>tfw to intelligent too not program in raw machine code comprised of binary

People who are actually interested in computers will always learn how they work - the only difference between then and now is that they used to be made for professional and *required* a certain level of expertise while now they're basically designed for stupid people. Which is good, because the advancements we enjoy today wouldn't have been possible if the market for computers was still the same size as it was in the 80s and early to mid 90s.

I'm from Baden-Württemberg and we did learn some basics about it. Obviously not the mathematical basics.

if you were born after '95 you're a faggot.

What part? Go Stuttgart or go home.

I see a kids trying to use a monitor as a touchscreen. Probably don't know what a keyboard and mouse is, either.

>Your mom/dad's generation
Cars
>Your generation
Computers
>1995+ kids generation
Social Media (tumblr/facebook/twitter)

I'm from Stuttgart and our physics teacher only told us about shrödingers cat. I call bullshit.

>learn some basics
I took Quantum Mechanics in university as part of my physics degree and those were the fucking basics.

So you might have had it mentioned in class in a super-simplified way.

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics." ~ Richard Feynman

>Your mom/dad's generation
Sex
>Your generation
Masturbation
>1995+ kids generation
Robot loi

lol the majority of programming jobs are web devs.

Quantum Physics is heretical teachings from demons, that are forbidden by the Prophet Muhammad, blessings be upon him. Thats why Germany removed it.

Nice iPhone manlette

also from Stuttgart here, we definetly learned the basics about quantum physics.
pic related, its definetly in the curriculum, even for both LK and non LK

I'm willing to bet my life that, if you had to guess how many Muslims actually live in Germany (w/o looking up statistics, of course), you'd overestimate the number by several hundred percent. I'll give you a hint: there's more than ten times as many Christians (not people, just Christians) in Germany and I dare say that's worse.

>to/too
man I think you aren't even intelligent enough to use a human language
let those poor computers alone

>Implying students aren't retarded and care

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Damn that hits home hard.

Hopefully I'll be able to experience the VR waifu age in coming decades.

When you consider that the people on Sup Forums who do know how computers work probably learned it from tinkering and fucking around - yes, I think there will always be kids who understand. Most people today don't, but then again most adults today also don't know how computers work, they just use them.

There are so many cheap computers now - the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Intel NUC, etc etc, and so much free software - Linux, most programming languages - and so many free materials to help kids learn.

So no, I don't think we'll end up with a generation of idiots. If we ended up here then those kids will end up just fine too.

fucking trolls
Quantum Physics isn't part of basic education anywhere, and it never was
>inb4 hurr durr university is basic education XDDDDDDDDD

did fuckin lel. Thanks bruh

its simply wrong. look at the fucking image of the germany physics curriculum.
hint: Quantenphysik means Quantum Physics

11/12 isn't basic any more.

they are part of gymnasium like any other class, idk why that doesn't count as basic

I didn't mention quantum physics, neither directly or indirectly, anywhere just FYI.

I'm a German you dumbass
that picture is wrong

Im in first year of uni right now and the pic is exactly what we did in the last year of school lol

True, but I'd argue that computers used to actually be simpler.

Before you could read a couple manuals and basically know how shit worked.

Nowadays we've stacked so much on top of so much that there are areas of specialization within computers.

It's cool, but also kind of depressing, in a way.

Gymnasium is extended education.
Only 9 years are compulsory, so even regular school is more than you need.

Like every generation:
>A few will
>A lot won't

Good programmers should know:
arbitrary requirements I just made up

You better save up some money soon and purchase some t420's because we are heading to a world where PCs and laptops will disappear.

>Gymnasium is extended education.
You can argue a lot about that. I get your point but I'd say more kids go to gymnasium than to other schools, it very much feels like it is the expected standard for education and realschule/haupt is "worse"

>Only 9 years are compulsory, so even regular school is more than you need.
well yeah, but you need the 3 years for the actual gymnasium exam

>arguing in a lewronggeneration thread about the german school system

It's a meme, you dingus.

Do you even understand how telephones work?

Part of the problem with this is, what constitutes knowing how a computer works?

Are you talking about a loose conceptual yet usefull understanding of it or are you talking knowing every nut and bolt?

I don't have to argue facts though.
To quote a Wikipedia entry I just made up:

> Ein Gymnasium ist eine weiterführende Schule des sekundären Bildungsbereichs, die zur Hochschulreife führt

Secondary means it's not basic.

Sad reality that Abitur/Uni is expected for a lot of shit that has no real need for it notwithstanding.
There's also some states with 12 years of compulsory school apparently.
Because the federal education system is horrible like that and should be aborted.

>Sad reality that Abitur/Uni is expected for a lot of shit that has no real need for it notwithstanding.
Thats what I wanted to say with my post. From the beginning of the thread I was like "this is basic" until I remembered Realschule is probably the biggest portion of students in Germany.

I doubt.

Not now, but I plan to in the future (:

ok wenn wir schon dabei sind
die meisten Abschlüsse sind Realschulabschlüsse, nicht Abi
Wesentlich mehr Leute machen Ausbildungen als Uniabschlüsse, der Schein trügt, da eine ungeheure Anzahl von Leuten die Uni anfängt, sie beenden diese aber niemals und wechseln direkt ins Berufsleben oder fangen Ausbildungen an

hat alles nich mit dem Thema hier zu tun

btt
OP is a faggot

Damn I love to see IBM logo on things.. I don't know why I love them so much

Nah, there's too much babysitting in today's soft & hardware.
They grow up as users, and step up to becoming a creator is disproportionately higher than it used to be.

On the other hand i guess that means those chosen few who bother to make the effort are going to be better than the zerg of computer science student we're (still) getting now

do you?
>where is your asm editor?
>where is your diy cpu with your home-brew bios

pff when these newfags can't even write a bootloader, we in our time had each one a selfmate programming language

>inb4 op is a fag

tbqhwyfamalam IBM is actually the cancer that started all the other cancers in the tech industry

time.com/3844483/millennials-secrets/
The youngest generation is less computer literate than their predecessors

They don't know how to fill a spreadsheet, compose an email, or even use a search engine intuitively. They largely don't understand anything outside of the context of a walled garden touchscreen app.

Computer literacy peaked and is declining

This. After independently studying for a CompTIA A+ cert, then taking a couple classes in C++, then getting a short-term certificate in IT Fundamentals that covered a broad foundation of everything including web development and network management, and now in the middle of focusing on getting a CCNA, I realize how little I know every semester.

Who cares?

Job security for me.

do you learn some more stuff about it or is it still just a bit of an extension on electromagnetism/wave theory through inference and heisenberg uncertainty? (or whatever it's called in english)

That actually gives me some peace, user. Thanks.

yeah I think thats it. we also had a bit about the observing stuff and chaos theory (but that was more because we had time and the class was interested in it)

>Good programmers
>enjoyable

The amount of joy you get has nothing to do with how good you really are.

Literally all meme certs lmao.

Django my love!!!

>They don't know how to fill a spreadsheet, compose an email, or even use a search engine intuitively

Kek. At least I know I'll be competing with these people in the job market, since I'm 18 years old.

Of course it has. What, are you retarded? Do you actually think that emotional appeal has nothing to do with developing and using a skill?
Or are you just trollin and masturb8in?

Ex physicist here. No you didn't learn the basics of quantum physics in high school.

bro, the apple and the tree with the guy?

does it matter
i know and i regret because really it is a black box

I never claimed any different. All certs are memes. But, I was interested in learning and began with a logical starting point. I wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go, so I learned a little about everything. When networking piqued my interest, I decided to focus in that direction. The certs just happen, I guess, by continuing to learn in a specific discipline and demonstrating a standardized aptitude.

I'm sure they won't hurt.

>Do you actually think that emotional appeal has nothing to do with developing and using a skill?
It helps when learning, and for motivation. It has nothing to do with being good at it in the end.

>hurr durr nobody understands quantum physics XDDDD
yeah, of course we didnt learn quantum physics on any understandable level. we still learned the fucking absolute basics of it

they already don't
coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

>pass the torch
how?
if kids now don't learn to use computers now, who will work on them when they grow up?

no you didnt

Just like the people back then, those nowadays who are really interested in learning what the fuck their computers are doing and how to tell them to do other things will take the energy required to do so. Back then most people didn't learn to program, and avoided computers whenever necessary and only nerds tinkered with them. Now computers have become easy enough for the common person to use, and it is expected that you use one, however just like before, the nerds that are really interested will learn.
Stop jacking each other off, people haven't changed, you just look at things differently and remember things the way you want to remember them.

Except that's provably untrue

Not everyone could program but "average" people, the endless hordes of cubicle jockeys, could use relatively complex software like Word and Excel and now they can't

"back then" the average person wasn't using computers for much at all, nowadays everyone uses them for everything, there's a lot more at stake now when you involve a permanent internet connection, personal information being sent and received across various platforms, online banking, work being conducted entirely on a computer (as opposed to just assisted such that the computer wasn't a critical part of the work), etc
back then not knowing how to use a computer didn't prevent you from doing anything you needed to do, can you say the same now?

>have a child
>dress her in cute clothes
>give her an old laptop
>teach her how computers work and how to program
>"computers are love, computers are life"
>"remember, child, there's no love outside the heat of your computer's insides"
>encourage her to be /cyb/ and to pursue a STEM course

if (child == boy)
printf( "Treat her like a girl!" );

Unfortunately, I believe that computer literacy will decline with the spread off tablets and other forms of toy computers replacing more traditional forma.

>he doesn't have a qt genius waifu to bear the next generation of super intelligent children
Do your job user. There are too many plebs having children and we must survive.

[Index] [Catalog] [Bottom]
soglad.jpg (73 KB, 640x471) google yandex iqdb wait
73 KB
k l y t u s 12/18/16(Sun)13:16:58 No.58058569 Will today's kids even understand how computers really work?

Anonymous 12/18/16(Sun)13:29:47 No.580586651461810664543.png (502 KB, 720x535) google yandex iqdb wait
502 KB

(OP)
nope

Anonymous 12/18/16(Sun)13:30:15 No.58058674 (OP)
do they really have to?
not like anyone programs in low-level languages anymore

Anonymous 12/18/16(Sun)13:31:22 No.58058682 (OP)
Quantum physics is part of basic education in EU so probably yes. Not sure about Americucks.

Anonymous 12/18/16(Sun)13:32:30 No.58058691

if they want to.
people should stop pushing the meme that ever faggot on the earth needs to program.

Anonymous 12/18/16(Sun)13:32:55 No.58058693

The ones who wants to learn, there's a lot of people in our generation who grew up playing computer games but are still computer illiterates too

Femanon 12/18/16(Sun)13:33:21 No.58058697 (OP)
Mines (when I'll have) will. They won't get a fucking tablet, they'll use a PC/laptop and a phone.

Anonymous 12/18/16(Sun)13:34:13 No.58058704 (OP)

>implying the average child will not learn monoid theory, complex analysis and density functional theory at 8 within three years thanks to Bill Nye

You guys do understand that learning theory is different from actual practice, right?

they are at a minimum 300% of the population.

the germans literally left their houses out of Guilt and moved towards russia to lets Muslims take their homes.

Not all certs are memes, the meme certs are multiple choice ones.
The real certs are the ones where you actually have to do stuff to get it.
The problem with the first is that you can usually braindump those certs in 3 days, so instead learning to pass your CCNA learn to understand and to configure the stuff and keep learning that even after your CCNA ( lots of people just stop with that and can't configure shit which means worthless cert )

>implying yesterday's kids understand it
The average person doesn't know jack shit about computers.

How did the subject turn to this?

The vast majority of adults and current teenagers don't either.

So C and C++ for high level, and ASM and...verilog? for low level.

No, you'll be competing with premade but less than perfect resources, and preexisting ML shops.