Linux Mint 18.1

as you all know, the only free major Linux distro that includes the word "Linux" in the title* just released 18.1 Serena

I am the first person on Sup Forums whose rig is currently rocking 18.1, you can follow me boys. It is definitely the best Operating System for the personal computer. A few words that come to mind when rocking this distro:

>elegant
>beautiful
>best

*distros that don't have an "L" in logo (arch linux) don't count

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3185
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I use 18.0 because I'm a lazy shit

you can upgrade in ~7 minutes
install all updates you have rn then click "edit" in your new update manager "upgrade to 18.1 serena"

a few new wallpapers is all i've noticed, you can also put panel on the side now if you're weird like that

A LEAF

A FUCKING LEAF

You should try LMDE.

If I need to use GNU/Linux I'm using Xubuntu 16.04, that's the best """""just-werks""""" distro.

I tried it and it looks like the same shit from 2 years ago. What's even new about it?

it's .1 better than 18

>not Xubuntu 16.10 the latest version
Are you asleep at the wheel there m8? Keep up

>installing a distribution that had its website hacked and installation ISO files replaced with compromised botnet ones
>installing a distribution without any security advisories
no thanks

You mean that thing the developers themselves don't recommend and are about to drop completely?

That's not possible yet.

I migrated from Windows on one of my laptops to Mint. The hardware on the laptop was never very good to begin with, but it seems to run fine. My very first Linux and I'm enjoying it.

i did it earlier this morning, no way i would have 3k packages on clean install g

Really? You got a source on that? I pesonally use Debian, but recommended LMDE over it because it's more friendlier to beginners.

ubuntu has like 2000+ packages out of the box

>>installing a distribution that had its website hacked and installation ISO files replaced with compromised botnet ones

Pics or it didn't happen

xubuntu is dank as well. cinnamon is really pretty but kinda taxing if you have older pc

16.04 is the most recent "lts" ubuntu

come hack me bro. i don't care if their website got hacked and a few people clicked a link that directed them to a corrupted iso hosted on a different webpage altogether

only ever torrent .iso's if you're scared of that

Literally your first day on Sup Forums
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

use your favorite internet search engine faggot

>If you downloaded via torrent or HTTP, then it doesn't affect you.

Then how the fuck did it affect ANYONE?

roughly 2200 i have a clean install on my secondary laptop

but i upgraded, you can absolutely upgrade today
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3185

>rig
>rocking

Why would you use this over Ubuntu

Cinnamon isn't even that good. Half those applets either work like ass or don't work at all..

The torrents and mirrors were uncompromised. You only had to worry if you got the one that linux mint hosts.

>Half those applets either work like ass or don't work at all..

You just explained Linux.

>not verifying hash signatures
>being this stupid

honestly because I've been using it since 17.1 on same install and it works fine. It works much better than Ubuntu MATE and Kubuntu have for me on my desktop, and I refuse to use any distro that isn't 100 pct compatible with Ubuntu because I need the huge community support if i fuck my shit up

let's say my ssd fries tomorrow... i might give xubuntu a spin on the next one, but I have too much shit on my computer to be compelled to switch

Hashes were also modified, so the fake ISO would have given you a matched MD5. This is why they moved to GPG along with stronger checksums like SHA256.

Are you from 2012? Cinnamon 3.2 on Mint has reached a very good level of maturity. Fuck, is even better than KDE/Plasma.

their website got hacked on one day, not even a full 24 hours was the bad link up, and everyone knew about it the day after.

it doesn't speak to the integrity of the actual OS

Thanks for the info. Somehow I can't see it in the update manager (yet).

It comes pre-configured and you can't rice it, so Sup Forums doesn't like it

>better than KDE/Plasma.
Not much of an accomplishment.

I know. But still. Considering plasma has been in development since 8 years ago with more people involved and money and is an unfixable failure. Cinnamon is a well made piece of software.

>>elegant
>>beautiful
>>best

>I am the first person on Sup Forums whose rig is currently rocking 18.1
No I set it up on a VM last night. I didn't even know a new version was out lel.

>install it on my dad's laptop
>the installation won't run
>google it, somehow it downloads with improper md5sum kek
>download again
>installs
>it won't shutdown
Everything works but it won't fucking shutdown without forcing it with physical power button. Linux, everyone!
>inb4 you're a retard
Nothing to do with clicking next on a freshly formatted harddrive.

i want to like it but its a buggy piece of shit

I tried Mint this year and I couldn't get some applets to work because "they weren't updated to work with newer versions".

Install Debian. A word for you:

>superior

sudo halt

What are some nice themes compatible with Cinnamon 3.2?

Do they still not include any wifi support in the default kernel?

It's still laughable it won't do that through GUI, considered its selling point is noob users for daily tasks.

Works for me. :^)

>any wifi support
my Atheros wifi works on a default Debian install. Which is amazing because its the legendary AR5BWB222 which lags/disconnects on every windows 8.1+ driver ever released.

Linux Noob here.

Just installed 18.1 this morning. Having graphics problems now that I never had with 18. When I install the Nvidia 340 drivers and reboot i get some message about rollback mode and restarting.

The internet told me to install the latest 375 drivers but even after adding the repository I don;t have the option to install. Is my card just too old for 375 (GeForce G210M)?

How much of a performance decrease can I expect with the open source drivers?

>i get some message about rollback mode and restarting
Your desktop environment crashed. Are you sure this is related to your graphics? Might be a theme which isn't compatible to the new DE version as well. You should try the nouveau driver.

Plasma 5 is decent, the only problem is that it's still early beta quality software because KDE wasted all of their time with Plasma 4.

Pretty sure its driver related. Everything was fine before I updated the driver. Everything is back to the way it was originally including the nouveau driver now.

I'm not planning on doing anything really graphics intensive but ideally I would like the Nvidia driver working. Especially as it was working with 18 and the same DE last night.

I see. I'd check the Linux Mint IRC channel and the forums.

Does it wipe your system or just upgrade it?

While I use plasma5, I think kde4 was better.
They have fixed a lot of stuff, but they also removed a lot of functionality, that I thought was core functionality.
Eg, they basically removed widgets and the ones they wrote themselves are unusable.
It is still 50 years ahead of the other desktops thanks to krunner, so I will use it until someone figures out how to make a portable launcher that works as good as krunner.

I have mint 18. If I put a file on the desktop it doesn't align it to the grid unless I right click and select the align function. How do make it auto align?

It is an upgrade. You will not lose any files or installed programs.

Right-click your desktop and mark the checkbox that is besides "Keep Aligned".

Not showing up. This guy is a BIG FAT PHONY.

Choose another mirror.

Which one did you use?

this desu

pls respond

Try "Linux Mint" (located in the USA).

Still not seeing any update options. Only have 3 options on edit even after enabling unstable packages. I'm using Cinnamon btw.

Did you refresh everything? You don't need to enable unstable packages.

I did, updated cache, refreshed everything. Not getting anything, and I'm on Linux Mint 18.

I upgraded.

NICE!

PS: it's asking me to update the kernel but the kernel number is the same as I have. Anyone know wtf that means?

What about the update manager? You should get the packages mintupdate and mint-upgrade-info.

I'm not seeing those either. Does the base mirror matter too?

>PS: it's asking me to update the kernel but the kernel number is the same as I have. Anyone know wtf that means?

It means you should move to a distro that isn't broken by design

>Debian

Krunner is not part of plasma. So it's ironic.

>dat butthurt
stay mad

My wife's son told me Mint is shit and that I should just install Ubuntu or Debian instead

Now I don't know what to believe

Stay comfy.

I'll install it when I get my new hard drive. Currently on Xubuntu and I miss a few things from Mint.

Currently running Ubuntu with Cinnamon on it. What would convince me to switch?

LINUX from scratch.
I
N
U
X

How's this?

Why is Ubuntu the only distro that doesn't look like barf out of the box? I'm genuinely curious; I'm trying to get my feet wet with linux but can't stand the tacky themes.
At the same time, ricing looks like too much work.

>Unity doesn't look good at all. If you don't want to waste time with ricing just install arc-theme.

blessed

Arc
Boje if you're a darkfag

I thought about upgrading to 18.1, i installed manjaro instead

How can anybody be comfy with so much lies and misinformation flying around? The only non-meme distro seems to be Slackware at this point

What are the performance improvements on a rig with (whatever variety of ) Linux installed as opposed to Windows 7 installed? Have any of you tested this? Is the purpose of going with a variety of Linux over Windows to gain performance or to gain an illusion of privacy? Make a definitive argument why a Windows user should drop Windows and go with Linux. I remain unconvinced currently.

Can anyone help me with this stupid question...
I'm booting Linux mint from a usb to learn my way around Linux but none of my settings or any data save. How do you make anything actually save?

Debian has been shit for the past year or so. As far as I know, Maxwell GPUs still don't work OOTB. I also had a bunch of stability issues with the Mate desktop.

Having both of those issues puts you in a conundrum. You can install Jessie and have a somewhat better experience with Mate, but then my Maxwell card won't work because nvidia-driver in Jessie is ancient. If I install Stretch, I get a shitty crashy Mate desktop.

Before nvidia-driver in Stretch was updated, it was a clusterfuck getting Maxwell drivers to work. At first you could just pull the package from experimental (the driver in Sid was still too old). Then one of the Debian devs fucked something up and said "whoops you can't do that anymore because the new Nvidia driver is incompatible with some other component". So if you had a Maxwell card, Debian just wouldn't work at all. Then the dev apparently resolved the issue, but then when I tried to update the packages something massively fucked up and I couldn't get Debian to boot at all.

The whole experience kind of jaded me and I ended up switching to Mint. It's not as fast, and it has much more package bloat, but at least it just werks.

you install it on your HDD

You need to create a usb flash drive with persistent storage.

New slideshow for random backgrounds now blends images as the transition. Such a small thing to add but it makes a huge difference if you have a lot of wallpapers and like them to rotate. Nice.

Back in 2015, I installed debian on a pc with a 980ti. I was under the impression that, because Steam OS was Debian based, that linux games would work better on Debian. It took forever, and a lot of additional reading on forums, but I got the linux drivers, which I downloaded from Nvidia's website (not the packaged ones for Debian), to work, and I figured out the installation process for Steam (again, not the packaged version specifically for the distro). I wrote down all the steps, and saved them, but they got deleted in an OSX update. And then I discovered that Valve tells linux developers to develop for Ubuntu. Don't fuck with Debian, there is no point.

I am waiting for Bomi to support Xenial.

Compile it.

>As far as I know, Maxwell GPUs still don't work OOTB.

Of course not, you need the proprietary firmware for full functionality. Nouveau will not work 2D acceleration in Maxwell right now.

Though, after installing the drivers, you should be able to use them well enough.

Yes, it's nice, but conky fucks it up.

kekd hard

frankendebian

Sup Forums got 99 problems, but Mint ain't one.