Why do you still use a laptop in 2016 instead of a convertible / 2-in-1?

Why do you still use a laptop in 2016 instead of a convertible / 2-in-1?

touchscreen are dumb and basically useless for anything serious.

what if you lose the keyboard?

I wanna get an x230t but don't want to pay more than $180 for one.

Thats why.

tablets are for mongs

>shit tier build quality
>back-doored cpus/operating systems
>touch screen controls without a stylus
>poor battery life
>1366 x 768
>Non-upgradeable ram
>nvidiot optimus drivers
>ayymd grills
>integrated graphics

>>touch screen controls without a stylus
please explain

Buy a performance base pleb

because unless it's an x220t/x230t it's retarded and useless because:

>much more expensive
>shit performance because all the guts have to fit into the screen portion to allow keyboard-less portability
>not even regular web browsers are optimized for touch on desktop OS's, let alone serious applications
>extremely tedious to repair

need I go on?

I'd rather use a nice computer that is great at functioning one way over a shitty computer that functions two ways poorly.

MS Surface Pro \w dedicated graphics only has one of these problems:
>back-doored cpus/operating systems
which all computers have.

>optimus
It's not optimus if it's just a PCIe bus without a shared video buffer.

>$50 for a pen
>requiring a battery in 2016, when 2005 laptops didnt

>it's not optimus if it's just a pcie bus

how the fuck do you think the graphics switching works, retard?

I've been using a convertible for the last 4 or 5 years, an XT2. Upgrading to a VAIO Z Flip then to a Panasonic Let's Note CF-RZ5. I will not buy a normal laptop.

So, a thunderbolt dock GPU is optimus?

Yes, you fucking retard. That's exactly how it works.

>touchscreen laptop with keyboard that falls off

Wow, in 2016 we see Apple as the only manufacturer committed to the laptop format. Keeping machines in the correct categories. Who'd have thunk?

Not if you attach a monitor to it because you're outputting to a separate monitor via said GPU. There is no shared display that way. If you use a docked GPU on the same display as the laptop, you are using switchable graphics. It's that fucking simple.

Been using convertibles since 2009 starting with a used ThinkPad X41 Tablet, moved to X61t, then Surface Pro 1 and now Surface 3 (Atom 4/128).

"Nvidia Optimus" technology just means having both dedicated and integrated graphics and dynamically changing between them to save power.

If I'm a retard, what is a GPU mux, and what is the difference between muxed and muxless GPU resource allocation?

now we know you faggots are only false flagging when saying this shit

>MS Surface Pro \w dedicated graphics
No such thing exists, the surface pros all have the Intel integrated graphics, only the Surface Book has the option for dedicated graphics

I don't like disgusting screens with fingerprints on them

>which all modern x86 computers have.
FTFY, and that still might not be true. How about VIA?

No shit, dumbass. He's claiming that it isn't because of a "pcie bus", even though you're still having to use the Intel chip as display handling if you use the laptop screen.

>stylus
ok, so why don't you have a stylus touchscreen?

Joke's on you I use a Loongson

Why's the joke on me? I never said anything about MIPS CPUs. Also if you're serious I'm mad jelly, I've been wanting one for years but didn't find out about them till they were sold out.

Because I want a good laptop when I want a laptop, and a good tablet when I want a tablet.

Some shitty do-it-all thing with a chicklet keyboard is not going to cut the mustard.

because 2-in-1s are the most retarded fucking idea ever and convertibles aren't really a necessity that enhances any task you would choose a windows system over a regular tablet for

not to mention bullshit like non-removable storage, so good luck if a particularly bad drop renders your system unbootable/unusable for whatever reason

those things are fucking awful and you wouldn't be shilling one if it wasn't a meme that made you feel like you fit in

This

You realize there's people that buy macbook air that has all those disadvantages and none of the advantages a convertible has right?

I use a desktop I have a phone I have no use for a laptop what so ever

why do you fags have to bring macshit into every conversation when it isn't even remotely mentioned like it's some kind of instant counterpoint?

there are more laptops than macbooks

Pointing out macfags stupidity is something that has to be done every day.

T.ps4owner

Because when I bought my laptop 2 in 1 weren't yet a thing and I still haven't felt the need to change computer.
When I'll need a replacement I'll evaluate pro and cons of a 2 in 1.

More power + more screen area to work with + better keyboard/trackpad = more productivity

>>shit tier build quality
Magnesium alloy
>>back-doored cpus/operating systems
Install linux on it then
>>touch screen controls without a stylus
It comes with one you mong
>>poor battery life
13 hours
3000 x 2000
>>Non-upgradeable ram
I'll give you this one, but only because the thing is so fucking thin
>>nvidiot optimus drivers
Needed to power the 3k screen
>>ayymd grills
?
>>integrated graphics
You literally just pointed out that it had an nvidia gpu.

How much more of a faggot can you get?

>being on the botnet that is microsoft
no thanks, i prefer to control who has access to my data

>changing operating systems to circumvent hardware backdoors

I'm using an asus T101HA, and an acer chromebook 14 these days.

The chromebook is hardwarly and softwarly comfy as fuck, snappy, optimal. I love it.

The little transformer book not so much. Mostly, of course, because windoge 10 sucks and this whole normal mode/tablet mode is crappy as fuck, AND the fact that cuckdows isn't optimized to run on weak hardware. So you'll have to wait for programs to open and close, sometimes you'll even wait 10 seconds for the explorer to load. Also, while the colors are fantastic, the screen sucks.

It's useful to have an emergency windows box in your bag all the time, and I don't have to buy a tablet I guess but all in all I don't believe in 2 - in - one products. They're worse than each of the products they try to emulate.

I'd say just buy a little windows netbook for 200 and a cheap android tablet.

oh look it's the surface shill again...

touch ui still suck. macos doesn't have it. windows touch ui is shit. gonna be a while mate.

a hybrid its good for students

So you don't like integrated GPUs but you don't like dedicated GPUs from AMD or nvidia either? I haven't seen s3 or matrox graphics in a laptop ever so what do you use?

Touchscreens are for menopausal Boomers and nothing beats efficiency like a keyboard and a mouse.

Core i5/7 can now be placed into a tablet and perform with good battery life and not much throttling assuming a good design

that being said, Convertibles are still better due to improve weight distribution of screen/keyboard, as well as usually higher battery life for the total weight

Integrated graphics are now able to play most games on lowest settings at least on 720p, expect for a few latest ones that aren't very optimized for PC

The best points about convertibles is the active Stylus screen which can help with your workflow, that being said if you don't plan on using it, then a normal non-convertible laptop should be fine as well

>And you wouldn't be shilling one

Can you not even fucking read? Clearly you can't because my post didn't even give off a single hint that I was on the 2-n-1 side of the argument. Leave this board if you are that mentally handicapped that you can't read a single post properly.

I think it's only because it would go against their "ideal computing interface laws" or some shit. I'd be down for a touch enabled osX.

Because apple doesn't offer such things with the computing power I need

>No worthwhile video card
>Shit screenres
>Shit battery life
>99% Microsoft botnet
>????
>Profit?

>I'd say just buy a little windows netbook for 200 and a cheap android tablet.
Those laptops have the same atom CPUs and eMMC storage and RAM capacity.

Money

Because they don't come with a physical communication port like my current laptop.

But I do.

I have a lenovo 2 in 1 which was pretty cheap and is pretty great. Touch screen support in linux is fucking garbage but I basically use tablet mode for reading so I have a macro set up which rotates the screen the way I want and opens up my on screen keyboard with another to switch it back again. very nice in bed.

Everything I use is based on the CLI or TUI paradigm. It would be irrational.

How do you watch your videos?

Have a CF-19.
Fucking godlike computer.

And they're cheaper than any 2-in-1, which is my point. Rather than getting A shitty 2 in 1 just buy a shitty netbook and cheap tablet.

What a high quality post.

>it would be irrational

Please don't use words you don't understand the definition of. "Inefficient", "superfluous", "pointless" are all great options for what you actually meant.

>implying hardware backdoors were made by microsoft and not intel

Every modern CPU or mobo intel chipset has ME, if that's the issue.