Privacy thread

Can we have a non consumer electronics thread for a change?
How serious do you take your privacy Sup Forums?

Do you have an openPGP keys?
Do you encrypt your emails?
Can you use gpg?
What do you use for encrypted IMs/PMs?

Share your stories or please advise me how to take my privacy to the next level. I want to become tinfoil tier

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/faq/#intelme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just don't use the internet, retard

>How serious do you take your privacy Sup Forums?
I've recently left Sup Forums so I'm not answering as Sup Forums.

>Do you have an openPGP keys?
I don't have friends I can't talk to irl or over the phone. I don't need my own keys.
>Do you encrypt your emails?
I'm 21 in college using the university email which is gmail based as my primary. I hardly ever have private conversations with people with it (or at all) and none of the people I do talk to are into this stuff.
>Can you use gpg?
Possibly.
>What do you use for encrypted IMs/PMs?
I'm sensing a pattern here to your "privacy" questions.

Normie detected? Why are all of your questions related to communications?

Real questions:
Have you changed your DNS provider from Google?
How hardened is your browser of choice?
How hardened is your OS of choice?
How did you configure your internet connectivity? Do you insist on using public wifi over TOR to connect to your VPN?
Are you using a pre-2009 Intel CPU or pre-2013 AMD CPU for your computing?

>Share your stories or please advise me how to take my privacy to the next level. I want to become tinfoil tier
Newb detected. I would tell you to lurk more but Sup Forums has gone to shit and there's barely anything worthwhile to be learned from here anymore.

Direct your questions to the archives first from now on.

rbt.asia/g
rebeccablacktech.com/g

>Have you changed your DNS provider from Google?
yes but I don't think it has improved my security
>How hardened is your browser of choice?
non, I use vanilla firefox. the alternatives are shit
>How hardened is your OS of choice?
nothing particularly groundbreaking apart from diligently verifiying anything from Arch repos and using coreboot
>How did you configure your internet connectivity? Do you insist on using public wifi over TOR to connect to your VPN?
I use a VPN at home. If I'm not at home I use Tor browser.
>Are you using a pre-2009 Intel CPU or pre-2013 AMD CPU for your computing?
No, it's a 2011 era Intel

There's no real point encrypting my home data (apart from my keys) since I rarely leave the house.
You don't think it's important to encrypt all your communications yet HTTPS everywhere IS important? How did you come to this conclusion?

>Do you have an openPGP keys?
I did, but then I lost them.

I really want Libreboot to catch up to newer motherboards...

How about you go learn C and write it yourself? And don't forget hormones.

>yes but I don't think it has improved my security
security=/=privacy
>I don't think
it doesn't matter whether you think it does or doesn't
>non, I use vanilla firefox. the alternatives are shit
You haven't heard of GNU IceCat or ungoogled-Chromium. I use both. IceCat as my super customized personal browser and Chromium when I encounter a website that doesn't work because of my settings.
>No, it's a 2011 era Intel
>You don't think it's important to encrypt all your communications yet HTTPS everywhere IS important? How did you come to this conclusion?
Because HTTPS protects you from third parties that aren't the government. Encrypting your communications protects you from the service provider and anyone they allow access to your stuff. If you don't trust the provider to begin with, why are you using the service in the first place?

HTTPS is more important that PGP for everyday use.

>58076364
there's apparently no longer a need for it
also, what you're asking for is impossible.

I meant to reply to you in above post.

>If you don't trust the provider to begin with, why are you using the service in the first place?
Maybe I want to send an email to someone who has a college email, or a gmail account. If I don't use gpg to encrypt it, I could use the most secure method in the world to transfer it, and it's still going to be sitting in that persons inbox in plaintext for Google to read whenever they want.

Using non-vanilla firefox gives websites your unique fingerptint.

Use Canvas Defender and disable Javascript to whatever extent you feel comfortable with. There are ways around fingerprinting.

If you have friends willing to go through encryption to talk to you then that's fortunate. But you do realize this is entirely dependent on a willing second party to work. If they aren't using a secure email address as your example states, then I doubt that you have someone who cares enough.

Disabled javascript is also a fingerprint.

Nobody cared about https too
Now we have things like LetsEncrypt
I mean the interest IS out there so just give it time I guess.

Using TOR is also a fingerprint but there's enough people doing it to not make you utterly unique.

The point of Canvas Defender is to keep changing your ID since there is no way of blocking canvas without that ringing bells. Using an uncustomized Firefox cucks you in multiple ways, including exposing yourself to malicious javascript executed by websites you visit, like in advertising. You also cannot disable tracking or resource leaking if you do not customize your FF browser. Using uncustomized FF is in most cases retarded.

>Nobody cared about https too
HTTPS is about the user and the service. Encryption is about the user and their buddy. There's a major difference. Sup Forumsfags are starting to care more about this shit but I guarantee you the number of winbabbies and macbabbies using Chrome is only going to increase in the coming years. Millenials don't give a shit. Gen Z isn't going to give much shits either. Normies are not going to care.

well obviously we're not talking about normies, but even in the realm of people who care enough about https, using gpg is still something they are clueless about. But it doesn't have to be like this and we could be seeing this change in the next few years. Something like Keybase is a start even though it doesn't actually teach you anything about GnuPG

But if you are using vanilla Tor browser and accessing a website through exit-node, you are considered Tor user and as you have same fingerprint as other tor users.
If you use self-cstomized Firefox and access any website by any mean, you are fingerprinted as using this customized firefox no one other uses.
And to prevent malware leaks you can use virtualization container.

if whoever you're trying to message is using Gmail, I think it's safe to assume that person is a normie.

>but even in the realm of people who care enough about https, using gpg is still something they are clueless about.
HTTPS is basic and necessary. It's as simple as one keystroke and makes a world of difference.

>But it doesn't have to be like this and we could be seeing this change in the next few years.
And we go right back to what I was saying. Most normies will not care about this, though there will be some who crossover; many of the new users will be non-normies who happened to learn of it. Chances are if anyone has a friend, then that friend will be a normie, unless you're really lucky. Therefore, most people will never be able to use PGP because their friends may not be convinced to use it. This is all hypthetical, though.

To emphasize what I'm trying to say: encrypting your emails is a good thing, but it's impractical now and very likely will always be impractical outside of special cases.

You can't really use TOR for everyday browsing (e.g. shopping and banking). TOR gives you maximum privacy for some significant trade-offs. Depending on what you browse the web for, using TOR may be impractical, so it's not really comparable.

>If you use self-cstomized Firefox and access any website by any mean, you are fingerprinted as using this customized firefox no one other uses.
That depends on the level of customization and what steps you've taken to evade fingerprinting.

Here's an example. Most people don't use normal Firefox these days. They at least have an adblocker. Normies use Adblock Plus. Others use uBlock Origin. And the latter crowd also uses NoScript and HTTPS Everywhere. Lots of people are doing this, numbering in the hundreds of thousands. You can't tell me that those people are using "this customized firefox no one other uses".

Now for people like myself who go above and beyond this, I can use addons like No Resource UR...

they wont, they are pretty salty with IME everywhere.
libreboot.org/faq/#intelme

No idea on AMD though

...I leak and Decentraleyes and Privacy Settings to take steps to avoid being uniquely identified. I'm not sure to what extent this works, but then again, no one is. Again, I also use Canvas Defender, which changes my canvas ID every new session.

Yes, I'm unique to an extent, but that uniqueness is controllable and not necessarily total. For more anonymity, I'd have to make trade-offs that are not necessarily "better" than what I'm doing now.

>And to prevent malware leaks you can use virtualization container.
Virtualization is not an answer. If it was, then it'd just be the answer to everything.

it has nothing to do with "saltyness". it has to do with the lack of information and transparency necessary to engineer a solution.

Why virtualization is not an answer? To break it, attacker would need to specifically target your system, this is why Whonix an Qubes exist.

>Why virtualization is not an answer?
>Whonix an Qubes
Because not everyone is using them or can use them or wants to use them. Web browsing through a virtual machine for me would be needlessly cumbersome when I can do fine without it. I can have security and privacy without limiting myself to a virtual machine.

Continers are easily configurable and have almost no performace impacts with hardware virtualization. Why wouldn't you use that?

Container? What do you mean?

lxc
systemd containers
apparmor

ME recently got defeated.

not everyone uses Linux.
not to say your solution is bad

> fucks pillow waifu
You asshole, I just spilled my tea laughing my fucking ass off.

pillow>>>bitches
Enjoy your DST.

>>Do you have an openPGP keys?
yes.
>>Do you encrypt your emails?
Not yet but im planning to switch full autism mode and only accept encrypted emails.
>>Can you use gpg?
yes.
>>What do you use for encrypted IMs/PMs?
GNU Ring.

>Have you changed your DNS provider from Google?
Yes.
>How hardened is your browser of choice?
Ublock origin. WebRTC disabled
>How hardened is your OS of choice?
Ubuntu LTS. No PPAs.
>>Are you using a pre-2009 Intel CPU or pre-2013 AMD CPU for your computing?
Sadly no.

Also to fuel my autism i regurarly check wireshark for suspicous outgoing connections