>Want to install a software
>Look into ubuntu store, find nothing
>ok apt-cache search software
>Get a list, try to install
>Not available
>Google name, go to website looking for installation instruction
>Find this: launchpad.net/~mc3man/ archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests
Whythefuckwouldn'ttheygiveclearinstructiononhowtoinstallthisfuckingthing.m4a
>Finally add repo and realize you've loss all will to give a fuck anymore, oh and it's untrusted source.

Fuck this sh1t, year of the GNU/Linux desktop is never happening until this stuff becomes a little newb friendly, not retard friendly just enough so someone has room to start grasping how it works AND it's NOT more trouble then it's worth
Not to mention I will have to scavenge for documentation to start utilizing it whenever I see some fags praise it and feel like giving it another try

Why can't you autists just get together and create some single store or something? At least I can get deb packages sometimes

Also I just downloaded ffmpeg and now there is an extracted folder in which I will have to find .sh cause some programs run like that or literally google on how to install run it, how the fuck do people deal with it?

>ubuntu
>ubuntu store

bump

>apt-cache search software
Ok. I filtered all OS threads, not just because this, but all the the retarded b8 that spammed here.

I kind of have to agree. Everyone is just like "lel just sudo apt-get so simple." That doesn't make sense to me. I would rather go to a page where I both read about a program and download the installer. Using terminal for everything is not user-friendly, sorry guys.

>Why can't you autists just get together and create some single store or something?

Well, user. That does exist on Arch (which is a shit distro that is uneccesarily difficult to use and install, but have a great repository called AUR that contains the newest version of pretty much anything)

>how the fuck do people deal with it?

People just learn how to use it and then it's not much of a hassle. It's not newb friendly and the linux community is often very toxic and unhelpful (especially the arch guys) so even if it was easy to use you still have to deal with all these idiots.

>Using terminal for everything is not user-friendly, sorry guys.

It is super user friendly, just not beginner friendly. It's much less of a hassle than downloading a installer and pressing next and so on.

You don't even have to worry about that if you get from the software manager. Why is terminal a better option?

Retard
Don't make tech support threads

It's not that it's harder to do, it's just that you're used to the 'Windows' mindset. Using the terminal is infinitely more efficient once you become familiar with it.

What do you mean by software manager?

mean to reply to

The software manager yo. Or "app store" or whatever. All the distros I've used has it.

Because Terminal is easier if you know it, faster and you can do all choices you want BEFORE starting the installer. It also installs all dependencies by itself and so on.

Less hassle, no need to spend time clicking here and there, just one quick command and then you do the same as 10 minutes of clicking next and if it's a large install then you can go and do something instead of sitting there and waiting for the next "next" button to show up because the installer stops until you press "next". Terminal is less of a hassle, easier, faster and so on. As long as you know the commands

Oh, in that case the software manager is just a GUI for the terminal commands

It's quicker to type apt-get install 'package' then to open the software manager, browse through the packages, find the one you're looking for and click install

honestly linux is gay

Indeed, but the problem is that Linux users are like an elitist cult. People ask a question about installing/fixing something and users just spit out a whole bunch of terminal commands with no context.

Of all things Linux users do that is by far not the worst. Often the terminal commands are a good solution, but demands a lot of explaination of how they work that is not strictly necessary.

In the same way that you don't need to know how a car works even though you can drive it. And if you get stuck and ask someone they might say "just let it cool down" without explaining what needs cooling down or why.

It's not something people strictly need to know, but if you want to know there are resources available to learn.

>I don't want to use the terminal guys, I need an installer
--->Windows

fuck off with the 'windows mindset' excuse. It's about universal and basic usability.

It's no excuse.
The terminal is the heart and soul of Linux. If you don't like it, fuck off.

Yeah but "just let it cool down" is different from "modify/change these parts," which is what terminal commands often do. I'm not about to blindly follow commands that mess with my computer without knowing what it's doing.

That's why it will never be mainstream even though it has the tools to do so. It's the fucking user base. It's like they enjoy being in teh sekret club.

It's not really universial at all.

Ubuntu is way easier for someone who know nothing about computers. If some old person needs to use a computer for the first time then ubuntu is way less daunting than Windows to use.

Everyone of us who have installed computers for old people know that installing windows will result in tons of "why does this thing keep popping up?" and "how do I do ..." and "This webpage says that I have a virus"

While if they havce ubuntu then all those website scams look too different so they don't fall for it. And running "naked-lady.jpg.exe" does not matter. It is also more intuitive.

But of course that does not include any use of the terminal that has a certain learning curve, but is much smoother, easier, simpler and faster to use than using a gui.

For example what if you have a season of friends in a folder with subtitles with name like:

Friends - 6x03 - Tow Ross' Denial.srt
Friends - 6x20 - Tow Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E..srt
Friends - 6x05 - Tow Joey's Porshe.srt

and you want to rename the whole folder in the form Season then episode like this:

S06E03.srt
S06E20.srt
S06E05.srt

In a gui you need to rightclick every single one and rename each one manually. While on the terminal you just need to learn some regex and do:

rename -n 's/(\w+) - (\d{1})x(\d{2}).*$/S0$2E$3\.srt/' *.srt

which looks completely alien of course, unless you know regex. But if you do it's much less hassle and you can do stuff in seconds that would take hours or even days to do with a gui.

Terminal commands are super powerful and you can do stuff that nobody have done before by being creative. It is way more powerful, simpler, faster and easier to use if you know how to use it. And it's not as difficult as it looks when you get a little experience with it.

>I'm not about to blindly follow commands that mess with my computer without knowing what it's doing.

Smart, but you can probably ask someone to explain the commands or even look into it yourself. It won't be mainstream like this of course, but over time you will have a much comfier computer experience even though it is frustrating in the beginning.

There is a reason why it's like this and it's NOT just to make it more difficult, but because it is way more convenient and user friendly (but not beginner friendly)

If someone complains about terminal being too difficult to use, showing him regex examples probably isn't going to help.

>"app store"

You guys are missing the point.

This

There's nothing wrong with having the GUI be the focus and the 1st solution to problems where possible, while having the terminal available as a back-up. But every Linux user insists on going straight to terminal, even when there are settings right in the GUI.

>ubuntu
Found your mistake kiddo.