Which is better?

Which is better?

FLAC

Both are placebos

mp3 is better - Smaller size and if you say it's flac then nobody won't notice.

flac is lossless compression

is this a bait thread

>nobody won't notice.

WAV. If you're using hauling around lossless because "hard drive space is cheap" then WAV is objectively superior.

you know what I mean, Obama.

I mean that the statement:

There exist a person X where X can know the difference in a blind test.

is false.

But what about file degradation due to rotational velocidensity? After all, MP3 is a LOSSY format.

Just say that it's flac then it will sound like a lossless format.

You mean my amp and senheisers are just a meme?

Fuck off, m8.

FLAC for listening
WAV when you are actually working on audio

can't believe I fell for this meme back in the day

>implying placebo is bad

Does it really matter? Wouldn't any software that you are using to edit the audio just convert the file into a suitable format for editing?

WAV sound slightly better, but you'd need super expensive equipment to hear it.
FLAC is a good middle ground between WAV and MP3.

Except that MP3 is 23 a years old legacy format that's still a pain in the ass for everyone to support due to being patent encumbered. I bet you use MPEG2 as well.

Except every single device supports it. I'd gladly switch to vorbis or whatever freetards currently circlejerk about but if I can't play it in my car it's not gonna happen.

Not that user.
Some people decompress from FLAC to WAV in bulk so they avoid the decompression when opening projects, once you're done with everything you can go from wav to flac again. It saves a few seconds per file depending on your setup so it's only useful if you're opening the same files often.

Isn't FLAC just smaller WAV?

That's fine. Just saying that temporary lossy files for listening on the go should be produced expressly for the purpose, and that CBR MP3 at any bitrate is always a huge waste of space in transparency vs. file size compared to modern codecs in larger portable libraries.
I kept running out of space on my 80GB iPod because I can't trust people to make good 192kbps encodes.

WAV is owned by Microsoft so it's literally worse than APE.

FLAC for the metadata, WAV for meme hard drive dick size status, MP3 for transcoding and putting on a mobile device.

This is why I download flac and convert to a sensible format like AAC

At one point I listened to flacs and had to find flac releases of everything. Then I had to move everything to an external HDD which I keep unplugged and can't bother connecting so now I just listen to stuff from Youtube

mp3 for everything because I'm not a fucking faggot.

>implying everything doesnt support V0

wav is an open format

Truth

>implying everything above V2 isn't placebo

FLAC under all circumstances, it requires negligible compute time, has a better tagging system and is smaller. I'm assuming people are baiting when they say there's a quality difference, since that would make no sense unless you're using an obscenely low-powered device that can't decode it in time.

.wav it's more compatible with players minus Microshits licensing. desu they are both lossless compatible. wav can contain pcm compressed sound tho.

You use both. FLAC for all cases because of better compression except where WAV compatibility is necessary.

Fuck off Nutella.

I'm not sure I'd pass a blind test between FLAC and 320kbps MP3

with that said nothing says you can't use one codec for archiving/transcoding from and another for mobile use (eg vorbis)

>not transcoding the audio tracks from your 10bit anime movies from FLAC placebo to opus and muxing them back in

Why the fuck do my weeb scene encoder madmen use FLAC of all things for audio

Who the fuck cares, it's not like you will hear any difference

vorbis is obsolete
opus is where it's at

>which is better shit or chocolate ice cream?
10/10 fell for massive bait

REEEEEEEEEEEE now I hate mp3. What's the solution, buy CDs / FLAC and covert to oog?

>tfw falling for the FLAC meme
>tfw not even an audiophile just a freetard

wav for samples of course

You won't hear the difference betweeen any of these two and mp3 if you are running a shit audio rig. I hope no one here plays FLAC or WAV on their phones.

FLAC MASTER RACE

dirty lossy peasants

The patents are expired now. Of course, it's still terrible at compressing and gapless is kind of broken.

vinyl

at what?

Wav is shit, mp3 masterrace.

Flac : used by smart people who appreciate modern compression desprite having several TBs installed
wav : audio producers
mp3 : Iphone plebs

FLAC

>only a few albums on phone
>40 GB out of 58 GB

J U S T
U
S
T

They're not placebos, you just don't know their purpose.

>not carrying an iPod with 1TB SSD

/thread

V0 MP3

No, it's FLAC for storage, lossy formats for any mobile listening devices and WAV for working.

ATRAC/ATRAC3/ATRAC3plus.

>few
bullshit, I have 32gb sd card, 30gb is flac,
around 700 songs

FLAC is compressed.

Calling it "lossless" is a meme.

I only listen to raw 24 bit audio to ensure maximum fidelity.

"Few" is a relative term. 700 songsares quite a bit to listen to but may be nothing in comparison to his entire library, in which case "few" would be a perfectly acceptable term for describing the quantity of music on his phone.

>what is lossless compression

>It can't be lossless if it's compressed

>He doesn't have a phone with 1-2TB SDXC storage

TOPPEST LELKEK, POORFAGS

>Not listening to glorious FLAC music with no lossy compression artifacts

1TB SD cards are out now?
>tfw it's now possible to have a 2TB iPod

/thread

You're dumb

which iPod supports SD Cards?

The ones that have HDDs.

leave Sup Forums or at least pick up a book