What is a free antivirus that actually works and isn't horribly bloated?

What is a free antivirus that actually works and isn't horribly bloated?
>inb4 common sense 2017
Not for me. It's to load on computers I fix up and sell to normies. Many of them don't have or don't trust CS'17.

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/list?can=1&q=reporter:[email protected]
bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=773
searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/450401963/Windows-atom-tables-vulnerable-to-code-injection-attack
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Norton Antivrus

I use Comodo's free security suite and Malwarebytes on Windows PCs. Never had problems with that combo in about 7 or 8 years, except my dad's Windows XP PC can barely handle scans anymore for obvious reasons.

before i would start bloated up windows with resource hogging crap like antivirus i would just disconnect it from the internet and quit using windows for online purposes, and either install linux use another computer with Linux on it

the need for antivirus software is (or should be) microsofts most shameful aspect that they can not make an operating system that is relatively immune to viruses

Not using Malwarebytes

>antivirus
not a problem on linux/macOS ;^)

>What is a free antivirus that actually works and isn't horribly bloated?
>It's to load on computers I fix up and sell to normies.

You give normies - idiots who are not qualified to be their own system administrator, a regular user account. They can't install anything or do updates.

Then you let them pay you to update their system periodically, or to install new software.

Then you pretty much don't need an antivirus. You are the antivirus, and you are the service, and they pay for you.

I use Bitdefender Free.

The last AV I used was NOD32, it was version 2 (I think it's EOL now) and it was the best for detection rate and price.

The license was about £30 a year so you should stock up on them and charge the normies (lets be honest, free AV a shit).

this one is the best

I'm using Avast

but I think I'm going to go back to Windows 7 because windows 10 runs like shit. Even games run noticably shittier.

OP

Anti Virus software is an industry rife with snake-oil. Stick with the anti-virus included on Windows which is least likely to fuck your shit up. Either that, or install the windows anti-virus later or decrease user priv

Don't believe me? Here are some of the many vulnerabilities introduced by shitty security software

bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/list?can=1&q=reporter:[email protected]

One of the best:
bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=773

gentoo

Windows Defender

bitdefender free

no performance hit, detects stuff when it needs to, just runs in the background and never nags you for anything, doesn't even have any settings to fuck around with

literal set&forget antivirus

>Still falling for antivirus meme
lol windows is fucked in the design, antivirus has no control over it. See how AVs are now useless
searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/450401963/Windows-atom-tables-vulnerable-to-code-injection-attack

Windows Defender
Microsoft Security Essentials
uBlock Origin
Um... Windows Firewall?

Good question, viruses aren't really a concern anymore.

Linux.

symantec antivirus, the corporate edition

I run Linux Mint. Does anyone have any anti-virus recommendations for me? I looked in the synaptic package listing for anti-virus, but I didn't see anything promising. Am I just out of luck because I run Linux?

>Avira
just optout/remove the adware and it's the best compromise between resources and detection rate.

Linux

Bitdefender free

You could try ClamAV. I doubt you'll need it though.

Why would you use anything else?

>free antivirus
> actually works
> isn't horribly bloated
pick one and only one.

if you want the best, pirate Kaspersky. you can find a key quite easily.

What do you think of Avast?

lol

I'm not joking. Is it good?

This is what I use for the exactly same thing, OP.
Also, chrome + ublock.

Similar question. I don't want real time scans. I use umatrix, ublock etc for web browsing so that should catch 99% of browser related problems. I also scan anything downloaded from untrusted sources with MSE. beyond installing every AV under the sun, what would be the best one to use in this manner? I don't want the 10% slow down/sand box features they all provide. I just want an AV to scan stuff. As far as I'm aware I haven't had a virus in years. Even after being spooked and running MB, spybot search and a few rootkit dectors once in a while.

The problem with AVs is the paranoia fueled environment of do this or you're fucked.

I never see it posted, but Sophos Home.

Bonus points because it is cloud managed. Makes it easy to help annoying family members that historically download crapware and fill up their workstations with viruses often.

Virustotal + Malwarebytes + CommonSense Pro 2016

Spybot S&D

just get the free McAfee trial everytime you update Flash

These guys know what's up