/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

last

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/images/SuperluxHD668B.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/TakstarPro80.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf
amazon.ca/dp/B003S3RFIQ
amazon.ca/dp/B00CL3TAOQ/
amazon.ca/dp/B004K09H32/
hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Alright no other place where this is really relevant.

I'm looking into getting a DAC/DAP combo.

I'm looking at the Shanling M2 as the most likely candidate.

Requirements:
USB DAC
Large SD card capability.
Build Quality
Around 200-300 dollars.

I'd really like if I could dock it but I think I'll just get a Generic Micro USB dock if I get the Shanling.

Any suggestions?

so what, you want a DAP that can serve as a DAC at home for your PC?

Yeah basically, more though when I'm using just my laptop so its still really small.

And then I can just pick it up and go on and switch it over to a DAP.

Never buy hifiman, every single hifiman headphone i've owned had a driver issue where low frequencies would make loud buzzing distortions in one or both channels. i RMA'd replacement after replacement until i had gone through 2 pairs of he-500s 3, pairs of he-560s and one pair of he400i, all fucking brand new and all having distortions.

hifiman headphones sound good, but their quality control is fucking garbage.
INb4: if you got a hifiman headphone that's not broken you're one lucky motherfucker, or I'm just the most unlucky fucking your mother

Ive had almost every 'cheaper' hifiman ever made. Never had that issue once. You amp might just be fukt

The Objective2+ODAC B-stock is $239. The faults are purely cosmetic and the hardware should work fine, right?

what can you expect from headphones engineered by chinks?

isn't that the definition of b stock?

tested with three different amps, the chinks just make shit products.

what's the difference between dt880 & dt880 pro again?

Well yeah, just want to make sure. And what constitutes a defect?

>have a "10€ off on any purchase above 50€" thing on amazon
>expires 24th december
*sweating*

What would be a good upgrade from a 668b clone (SR850)? I like the sound, especially the strong treble, though I also like the bass.
Been looking at hi2050/Pro 80/hyperx cloud and 7506. Sadly hi2050 doesn't seem to be sold here

Hyperx cloud is selling for 60€, 7506 is selling for "as new" for 69, new for 88.

Looking at the graphs
innerfidelity.com/images/SuperluxHD668B.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/TakstarPro80.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

I'm kind of afraid pro 80(/cloud) will be lacking in treble and 7506 will be lacking in bass.
I'm leaning more towards the cloud, because even though the mic quality is worse than my ZMMIC, it means I won't have to deal with the double wire tangle anymore.

Are there any others I should look into btw?
There's also the DT770 but that's 60-70 more than the 7506/cloud

Friendly Rekindler

can you even imagine the situation where that 10€ was left unspent?

Id go Hd558, same curve as HD600

yes, it's most likely the situation where I cry myself to sleep at night for the rest of my life

aren't these pretty dark

Portapros?

I need a music player since I don't have a smart phone, any rec's? preferably something with expandable memory and under 100 bucks

is Magni 2 AMP enough to drive dt 990 600 Ohm version to its full potential or should I get something stronger like Valhalla 2?

Of course it is. So is the O2.

>weeks after that K712 deal
>i didnt even knew about it when it happened
im still sad and mad and sad

Any mods for the t50rp to get the bass flat rather then rolled off?

AKG is shit

I don't care, 300$ premium shit for only 19$ is something you'd kill for.

Good post pajeet

K7XX's should be here on friday, thinking about getting the fiio e10k, I've got $25 amazon credit so I could get it for like $50. This thing should be totally fine right? I don't plan on getting any stupid high impedance headphones for a long time.

go for it

Takstar Pro80/Hyperx Cloud can someone tell me why I should buy it? It's just around 40 shillings in my country.

They're about the same audio quality as M40x, and built better. No removable cable sadly.

how do you get lint off of headphone pads that collect ridiculous amounts of lint? Particularly x2's

Lint roller and/or sticky tape

Are there any Bluetooth enabled over ears that are not absolute shit?

any headphone with a removable cable and a Bluetooth receiver

What's a good reciever?

Are M50x's a good place to start without needing a DAC and/or amp? I've used a fairly cheap gaming headset for years now and I don't have much previous experience with headphones.

>Budget
£15
>Location
UK
>Source
Phone
>Type of headphone
Over-ear preferably, don't mind too much though. Might even go for earbuds or some shit
>Open or closed
Closed preferably
>Comfort level
At this price point who cares
>Sound signature
So long as they aren't mega bassy I don't mind
>Past headphones
HD419, HD558, HD650, HD700 (shit), HD800. Yes I drink the Memeheiser coolaid.

Basically just looking for cheap shit I can treat as disposable or a backup, is there anything at this price point that isn't total garbage? I'd mainly be using them to listen to podcasts or watch YouTube videos and maybe the odd bit of music.

I just want something that will last. £3 earbuds usually sound ok-ish for what I want them for but they just break. I had a pair of Turtle Beaches I used for probably 5 years before they broke and they were around this price. I have a pair of HD419's that I use for a similar purpose but they are too expensive to be disposable imo.

they aren't too good for gaming. Would help if you told us your price range and the type of sound/headphones that you want

Probably around the $150 range, I'm not really aiming for a certain sound signature. I'm siding somewhat towards closed back as well, and I'll be wearing them for hours at a time.

Monoprice 8323

how loud do you guys listen to your music? i got my he400+e10 and i stay around .5 on the dial knob with low gain and no boost. going to 1 is very loud.

Beyerdynamic DT770's are a safe and popular choice. Closed backs generally aren't great for gaming but dt770's get a lot of credit for how decent they are at it. I'd recommend the 80 ohm version. The biggest complaint is that some people find the bass and treble to be fatiguing but I don't. Wearing closed backs for long periods can also make you sick if you aren't used to them, because of the seal around your ear, but thats only for a very small minority

I've been checking around on a few forums and many people are recommending an amp for the DT770's. I'll almost exclusively be listening to them in my room, so should I be worried about that? Otherwise they do seem like a better choice for all-purpose usage.

Reposting because I'm on the fence about the MK5. Comes to 100CAD shipped from Amazon, yet I feel it's not worth that much?
>Budget
100CAD is the top. Maybe a bit more
>Location
Canada
>Source
Galaxy Player 4.2
>Type of headphone
IEMs with either active noise cancelling or a nice isolating/passive setup.
>Comfort level
They're IEMs, so hopefully a nice snug fit.
>Sound signature
Neutral, clear sound desired.

Currently looking at these:

Etymotic MC5s - amazon.ca/dp/B003S3RFIQ

And these 2:
ATH-ANC33iS - amazon.ca/dp/B00CL3TAOQ/
ATH-ANC23 - amazon.ca/dp/B004K09H32/

But what I'm questioning about the Audio Technicas is... what's the difference between the two? The only thing I can find is that the ANC23 has a Y-Cable setup, and I think no mic/device button, but it's somehow more expensive?

Thanks for any suggestions. Something I can get in the next week would be best.

If you get the 80 ohm version you really don't need an amp.

I don't use an amp with them, though you'd probably need one if you listen to your shit at a much higher than average volume. I imagine sound quality difference without an amp is minimal, especially for people like us.

Has anyone heard of MEE audio M6 PRO's ?

Looks like a chinese knockoff...

Okay boys, I've got a problem.
My ears stick out and so I require headphones with strong clamping force and probably thin earpads.
Open or closed doesn't matter, but preferably around $300-$400.
I've tried the HD 600s and just now the DT 770 Pros and both are too uncomfortable because my ears will stick out into the inner earpad and touch the lining before the transducer.
What I've been using for about 2 years are the HD 280 Pros, and they fit perfectly with its clamping force and earpads.
If you have a similar problem or know some good headphones that fit this criteria, please respond.

Just ordered a pair of ATH M40Xs.
What should I expect?

Looking for headphones to compliment my HD650. Maybe K701 or 712 PRO? What do you think?

712 Pros or K7XX's

It's a nice unit just make sure you connect it directly to your motherboard's USB and not a hub's USB (e.g monitor) or you'll get high frequency noise bleeding in.

New pads.

AKG 712 Pro, comfy as fuck, has some bass (but not nigger bass), distortion that's as low as the HD600 (and for some frequencies, lower) and it triggers all the sennshills in this thread.

Get new earpads and you've got the best closed headphones you can buy at the moment

LCD2 or Hifimans.

Are closed back headphones fine for gaming if you don't need extreme precision for footsteps and whatnot? It seems other people online unanimously agree that open are better for gaming, but most seem to mention locating footsteps.

Just got my hd6xx, ama

I want them to sound different from Sennheisers and 712 PROs are kinda similar to HD650 while K701 have that treble preak. And I really like how K701 look, they are best looking headphones in my opinion.
LCD2 too expensive and I don't want to sell HD650's. Hifimans HE400 have ear piercing treble if I understand correctly.

what amp/dac you using? i want to upgrade from my e10v2 for the he400i.

>Up to $500-ish, maybe a bit more if needed
>NYC
>Aune T1
>Full-sized
>Open
>Comfort is slightly more important than sound quality
>I would prefer neutral, but it doesn't matter much unless it's obnoxious
>I had the HE-400. It was a bit heavy and uncomfortable, and ended up falling apart one piece after another within a year. I liked the bass, but I wished the mids weren't recessed since I listen to a wide range of music

Also, any sales you guys are aware of?

Any good bluetooth headphones for around $150 that someone could recommend?

If you want no bass, K701 should do fine. Maybe DT 880's?

schiit bifrost + valhalla

i have literally used nothing but trashy earbuds my entire life. I bought a Phillips 9500S over ear headphones because they were on sale on Newegg for $55. This is a good choice right?

i should also mention that the combo is really nice, got them in 2010/2011 right as schiit started up and have no regrets. hd6xx sound really nice on them, the tubes complement the sound signature well - unlike the ah-d500 i also have, whose bass goes out of control and sounds terrible.

Discomfort. Get HM5 pads. Even the cheapest pleather ones are great.

If you want an open set of headphones, yes. They're very good.

Can I get at least one good (you) on this please?

I've been using my phone for four months with no issues so far, so I think I'm good to void the warranty and root it.
My main reason for doing so is Viper4Android. Is it really worth it or just audiofool placebo meme? everyone seems to suck its dick but to me it seems like a system wide EQ

You may want to try the 400i. Comfort and weight improved a lot, and it's a lot more neutral, whilst still keeping the planar sound.

the original valhalla is awful

there are other copies of the takstar HI2050 under 50??

There are, but see if you can get the SHP9500. Theyre only a bit more and the sound improvement is absolutely worth it.

Pretty extreme clamping, combined with the fact that the original pads are not comfortable. Personally, the discomfort kicks in after 4+ hours of straight use, so for short uses it should be fine.

Still waiting for the HM5 pads to arrive. Should hit two birds with one stone.

got a pair of CAL's recently, thing is im using them with a onboard
recommend me some really cheap (50$) sound cards/dac/amp/whatever
also fucking hell they are uncomfortable or maybe im just not used to over-ear's anymore

WHY ARE L SHAPED PLUGS A FUCKING THING
RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What is the purpose of an L shaped plug, I'm pretty sure they're for mobile devices but I have no idea why

Get some HM5 pads.
a DAC can wait. At that price you wont get much, if anything worthwhile.

Cheapest actual good DAC is either this, hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC

or one of the cheapest SMSL combos.

Put unnecessary strain on the cable, make it fail faster and force you to buy a new pair of headphones or a proprietary meme cable

Mobiles usually have the jack on the top, so you put it top downwards into your pocket. The L jack means you don't fuck up the connector.

Opinions on the v-moda m100 with the XL pads?

Is the Eiaosi x6 the new budget king?

Been rocking mine for 3 months now and they still haven't broken and sound fantastic, especially for that price.

I've heard they're alright and have a ton of bass. People usually say the xl pads are mandatory and they clamp a bit hard.

>is something i own nobody else has even heard about the new budget king?
>is -insert new fotm chink iem the new budget king?
stop

400i or 400s? 400i now nearly 50$ cheaper than 400s on amazon

If by budget you mean homeless tier, sure. ATE's and various other /csg/ memes outperform them.

Pretty sure the 400i is a direct upgrade. They used to be like $400 but recently they've gotten discounted to $250 on some sites.

400I by far. 400S is only really a better choice if you want a lot more low end. The 400I's are just a lot clearer.

They sound almost as good as the ATE/zircons/pistons for only $3.

Has anyone in here tried them? Can someone take measurements?

>They sound almost as good as the ATE/zircons/pistons for only $3.

Hardly. I'd measure mine If they hadn't have broken.

or should i wait for a hd6xx redrop since im in no hurry

Honestly I'd take 400i over 650's any day. They're not as comfy and not as well built, but their accuracy, especially in the low end surpasses the 650's quite well.

theres that 1 user in the thread rma'ing tons of hifimans, is that a common thing or is it just him?

I've never had it happen, and it seems to be a relatively lesser issue nowadays from posts on head-fi. Though Hifiman QC isn't fantastic, I'd still say it's worth it for the better sound.

can any1 explain to me why these are unpopular?

They sound like what I expected of a closed version 598.
-smaller sound stage
-more bass
-somewhat congested

+forward mids are still there with warm senn signature sound

Muddy and the further increased low end only exaggerates the insane distortion in the lows.

but those are the same weaknesses in the original

except way worse

What would be the logical upgrade from X2? Emphasis on build quality and comfort.