What is the consensus on Founder's Edition vs FTW in SLI setups?

What is the consensus on Founder's Edition vs FTW in SLI setups?

Let me give a bit more background. I want to build a new workstation and I'm thinking of getting a 1070 for GPU rendering. Just one to start with and then I'll probably add a second one at some point when they drop in price. GPU rendering means the card(s) would potentially be under load for pro-longed periods of time while rendering frames. I'm talking days, non-stop.

Does it make more sense to use cards with a blower setup or is open-air fine? My other concern is that the heat sinks on the FTW cards seem like huge pain in the ass to clean.

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/computing/gtx-1070-memory-issues-firmware-fix-evga-palit-gainward/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ref Blower if you absolutely need the air our of the case or are watercooling later.
Open air otherwise. Personally I'd avoid evga til they figure out their flaming mosfets

If this is for a business you should spend the money on a Quadro. What software are you using?

SLI is stupid, that's the consensus
If you're unfortunate enough to fall for the meme, open air would be just fine, blower only if the cards are directly against each other
You'll get terrible temps if they aren't spaced with at least one spot between them

I thought the catching fire thing was sorted out.

I'll may look into doing some freelance, but it's mostly to speed up rendering for personal projects. A Quadro p6000 would be fantastic because of the 24GB of vram, but it's not feasible at 5 grand. And Quadros that are priced equivalent to Pascal cards are ancient.

It would be for use with Redshift.
>www.redshift3d.com

Technically it wouldn't be SLI, since I don't actually need to connect the cards. I just mentioned SLI because the cards might be close to each other regardless.
Thanks for the info regarding the coolers. I'm just starting to do research on the build and all this cooler business is a little overwhelming. Blower vs open-air, air-cooled vs water, positive vs negative pressure, etc.

>Fanboy's Edition
>ever

>SLI
>ever

Either you start with sli or you don't. How much room in the case do you have? Are you buying a new case or have an existing one. You're going to sli 1070s sounds retarded already. The reference models are usually used because people need the space. Sounds like you have no idea what you are doing so should probably stick to a single card.

The p6000 performs the same as a Pascal Titan X. The only reason it's that expensive is the VRAM.

>Are you buying a new case or have an existing one.
New. Most likely a Silverstone KL07.

>You're going to sli 1070s sounds retarded already.
For GPU rendering it will basically cut render-times in half.

That's nvidia just jewing corporate customers. Doubling vram shouldn't tack on $4000.

All these replies and you're all fucking useless.

Being that he's waiting on a price drop to get the second card, he's obviously looking for performance per dollar. That throws Quadros out the window entirely. Will they perform these tasks better? Most likely. But it does not scale with the price.

Now onto SLI. SLI scaling depends on game engine design and much effort developers put into it. SLI could scale perfectly at 100% performance boost, or it could scale terribly with little to no boost. Plus there's many games with no SLI support at all. Due to this, it's usually recommended to get the fastest single card you can afford for gaming. He's clearly not gaming and not using SLI. The cards will accessed individually, so all of the software related issues with SLI will not apply. In case you fucktards can't into context clues, "SLI setups" is referring to the physical configuration of the cards and how it pertains to cooling, not the usage of the cards.

The open air coolers (specifically the EVGA ACX series) offer far superior cooling to the reference design Founders Edition. However the fans are configured by default (on my GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0 anyway) to run as quietly as possible rather than keeping the card cool. It's an easy software fix but it's something you shouldn't forget if you do choose to go this route. The biggest con to the open air coolers is that they exhaust hot air into the case. The most I've put mine through is a few hours of GTA Online at 4k/ultra, so the heat buildup hasn't been an issue for me but it might be an issue if you're going to be stressing the card for days at a time. I did notice the air inside the case is significantly warmer than it used to be with my reference GTX 780.

The way I see it with the reference cooler you know it's going to run hot but heat buildup should not be an issue.
With the open air cooler you can achieve far better cooling, but you've got heat buildup to deal with.

To me it seems like it would be better to go with coolers that offer better cooling and maximize airflow through the case to address the issue of heat buildup. But of course this depends on case options and potentially on whether or not you could modify the case for better air flow.

>but you've got heat buildup to deal with
This isn't a problem if your case just vents hot air out properly. With blower style cards, you don't even give yourself a chance to properly cool the GPU, it's going to get fucking hot and loud. Sure, the heat ends up outside the case but you're just lowering the ceiling on your chip's performance.

Blowers should really only be used if you're definitely going to SLI in a small case or if you're dealing with a prebuilt case that can't be adapted for better airflow.

Got it, forget Quadros, then. 1070 is a good card. If you have a name brand workstation I'd get the FE, but for a whitebox you can get whichever you fancy.

>This isn't a problem if your case just vents hot air out properly.
There is no standard for "properly"
MOST cases are optimized for airflow to the CPU and give little to no thought on GPU cooling. This is fine for blower cards because the rear exhaust creates a vacuum to pull cool air towards the card from the front of the case.
But with open air coolers you can end up in a situation where the same pocket of air is just recycled to cool the card again and again while the fresh air is pulled up to the CPU and out the back. That doesn't mean the case isn't "proper" it just means it wasn't designed for multiple GPUs creating a ton of heat for an extended period of time that don't have their own exhaust. Let's be real, up until a few years ago that wasn't even an issue that needed addressing in case design because all of the mid to high range GPUs had blower style coolers.

It all depends on case selection and what you're able to do with the case.

It's also ECC VRAM which is a big deal

He said "in SLI" you dipshit

SLI basically died with 10 series cards
just get a single 1080 and prioritize cooling and it should work great

>little to no thought on GPU cooling.
because they shouldn't dump any heat into the case

Founder Edition has shit cooling and power phasing, which leads to a heat bottleneck and a power bottleneck

FTW has ACX3, which is one of the best GPU coolers any manufacturer has, and it has solid power phasing which allows you to reach much higher overclocks

You decide.

He said "In SLI setups", referring to the hardware setup as in multiple GPUs on separate cards, not the software SLI configuration for gaming. Read the fucking post and learn to pick up on context.

Most don't. Open air coolers do. That's the entire point of the post.

Why are you motherfuckers so dense? It's like you can only process small sections of the post at a time. Do you just skim for buzzwords and ignore the rest?

>power bottleneck
What about his post would lead you to believe that he's going to be overclocking these cards to the point that he needs to overvolt them further than reference design can go?

There's things you can do with GPUs other than gaming and benchmarking.

>Open air coolers do
Yes, I know. I was just mentioning that expansion cards that dissipate a lot of heat are supposed to be self contained.

I'm working on a similar build for GPU rendering, all the advice I've seen is go founders

A 1080 can't match the quadro like the Titan XP does

He said "for SLI setups" implying his choice was between dual founders editions or dual evgas

Hmm, not exactly conclusive but I'm leaning towards the reference design. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input.

Depends solely on the board you have for spacing reasons and the size of your case / the airflow in and out of it. If the cards are sandwiched due to board spacing then go blower cooler, go for a blower design that isn't the Nvidia reverence design though as they have better cooling.

Generally you would want non blower coolers regardless though. They simply keep things cooler in all but a sandwiched scenario.

Exactly. He wants two cards but not for SLI, and is trying to decide between two cooling configurations. All of this "SLI is stupid" bullshit is entirely irrelevant.
He simply said SLI because that's what MOST people running two of these cards in one system are using them for.

If you want your VRMs to go explode, buy the FTWs.
If you want thermal throttling but the thing will still work regardless, buy the Founders.

Ideally, buy MSI's cards instead.

I picked FE bcs it has Samsung memory chips on it. other versions sometimes has some other brand(because of the high demand low samsung chip supply) which is not a design choice for this card and I heard it causes some issues for ppl.

digitaltrends.com/computing/gtx-1070-memory-issues-firmware-fix-evga-palit-gainward/