Have you nuked your botnet software yet, anons?

Have you nuked your botnet software yet, anons?

hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/26550/Intel-82573E-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller
raptorengineering.com/TALOS/prerelease.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Don't have Intel ME in the first place.

At least you stay warm during winter.

I didn't fell for the botnet cpu user.

Oh totally, this 35W CPU's a fucking furnace.

Then you do nothing besides the most basic web browsing or similar tasks.

Try encoding a bluray or similar and check back with me in a week or two when it's done.

delete this

It's all I need my desktop to do, I essentially use it as a thin client. Any real work is done on headless servers. As long as I can browse the web with a couple dozen tabs while listening to music or watching TV shows I'm content.

do you think you can avoid it forever?

Given I've made it this far without dealing with it and haven't even attempted to avoid it I don't see why not. Especially considering I don't plan on purchasing x86 hardware again.

Those ancient laptops won't last forever and they're getting more expensive.

>I don't plan on purchasing x86 hardware again.
what pray tell do you think will come to your rescue when your current setup fails?

Or do you simply plan on killing yourself by that time?

It's on most low power and mobile CPUs anyway. AMD has a similar thing as well.

you can browse memes with a raspberrypi or similar

My C2D doesn't have this problem.

lol if all you're doing is looking at dank memes, why do you even care about avoiding x86?

The whole point of avoiding intel is to avoid being monitored and spied on, and unless you're into some crazy illegal shit, I just can't fathom why someone would purposefully make their tech life shit because they don't WANT to deal with x86.

You're shooting yourself in the foot, insisting you're actually fine and not hurt, and then walking through a half mile of human feces barefoot. It just doesn't make sense unless you're literally autistic.

Sure? Your network chip might have an earlier version. ark.intel.com/products/26550/Intel-82573E-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller for example.

are you retarded? C2D is when they started.

On the other hand, it has a ton of other problems

you do you :^)

Nope, don't have that either.
Yeah, nah.

>crazy illegal shit
people doing that don't get caught using this system
this is meant for monitoring the people who try to fight against the elite

Like what, performance?

What ancient laptop? And no shit, but it's already lasted 8 years and is fully serviceable, if anything dies I can replace it for next to nothing. Only thing that would be remotely costly is upgrading DDR2 memory compared to newer versions but it's still next to nothing.

>what pray tell do you think will come to your rescue when your current setup fails?
POWER.

I know what it is, I also know that my processor doesn't support it.

The new AMD Rizen™ does not have this problem.

Yes it does.

yey!

>muh ARM NSA chip

O rly?

(((predictive learning)))

AMD has their own equivalent to Intel ME.

>Yeah, nah
so what model C2D then? because the majority have iAMT 2.0 or 2.1, or if it's mobile, 2.5/2.6

>POWER.
lol? Are you in college or something?

Grow up kid and join the real world, you aren't doing shit with POWER at home, mainly because you can't afford it, but also because there is little to no consumer level support so you'd be flying blind and I just don't think you're anywhere near smart enough to do such a thing.

Performance and being stuck on a legacy platform, barely functional usb 3.0, no NVMe and alike

I'll upgrade next year if possible, and nothing really of the shit you mentioned I need anyway.

>Are you in college or something?
No?
>you aren't doing shit with POWER at home
Not yet, PowerPC's damned close though.
>mainly because you can't afford it
Well I can't just go out and buy a POWER system right now but I am saving up for one. If the Talos never makes it to production I'll just buy a used POWER server.
>also because there is little to no consumer level support
I use MIPS and PowerPC regularly; basically everything I run is open sauce software that doesn't give a shit about your architecture. I'm good. I'd be happy to refute more of your assumptions if you really want to keep going though.

Can I solder out the botnet off my cpu?

no

E6550 OCed to 2.9ghz.

>E6550
okay...

>basically everything I run is open sauce software that doesn't give a shit about your architecture
Oh sorry, you're some special FOSS snowflake, sorry I didn't know you were a part of the 0.00001% of autists who actually think that's reasonable.

Oh wait, you're a college kid who's 95% likely running windows, or a riced up Arch.

No way. What am I supposed to.. do...

Please don't associate me with freetards, you couldn't be more wrong. And actually I'm running OS X on my desktop (just because Opera 12), OpenBSD on my laptop and a few other machines, Debian on a few servers, actually the only Windows machine I have is a UMPC. Keep those assumptions coming though, it's hilarious how wrong you are. What's so hard to believe about a guy buying a used server?

Only thing you can do. Kys yourself.

It's hard to believe someone would waste that much time and money for the experience of not running x86. Because as we've already established, you're getting zero actual benefits from not running x86, if anything you're just making your own computering take longer than needed because you refuse to run on modern hardware.

MIPS and PowerPC are simply not viable for a home user, even if you are in your special snowflake niche use, which you'd be one of a handful of people in the world, you'd still be more expensive, higher power use, and slower than x86.

I just dont understand why you'd do that to yourself.

I understand having MIPS and PowerPC to learn on, I understand using all of the shit you use IN CONJUNCTION WITH new x86 hardware.

The raw performance you're losing because you simply don't feel like using x86 is retarded, and so far you've given zero reasoning as to why you'd restrict yourself in that way.

What if the packets coming from and going to Intel ME were forced to be nullrouted or routed to an embedded device (or some shitbox from 1999).

Disabling Intel ME may be tricky but keeping it busy is better than letting the NSA hack it.

>MIPS and PowerPC are simply not viable for a home user
You can compile a web browser and media player for these architectures. Isn't it a "home use"?

I guess that could work, as long as you are on your own network
>Disabling Intel ME may be tricky but keeping it busy is better than letting the NSA hack it.
what

Sure you CAN, but you couldn't hand the average person a POWER workstation and expect them to get a functioning desktop environment.

You can use an 8 socket E7 Xeon server for home use if you wanted, that doesn't mean you should.

>Because as we've already established, you're getting zero actual benefits from not running x86, if anything you're just making your own computering take longer than needed because you refuse to run on modern hardware.
I don't refuse to use modern hardware, I refuse to use x86. Pretty sure a POWER7 or POWER8 server will suffice. Not to mention that there are plenty of benefits such as having an arch that isn't a backdoored polished turd.
>MIPS and PowerPC are simply not viable for a home use
4u. I have no issue using them.
>you'd still be more expensive
idgaf
>higher power use
See above.
>and slower than x86
See above.
>I just dont understand why you'd do that to yourself.
Because I'm already positive everything I'll need to run will work and that the processor(s) will be more than sufficient for years.
>The raw performance you're losing because you simply don't feel like using x86 is retarded
Nah
>so far you've given zero reasoning as to why you'd restrict yourself in that way.
I don't need to give a reason, bitch. If you really need one though, Intel ME should be enough of one.

You're on Sup Forums, a board for technology enthusiasts. You shouldn't be expecting everyone you're replying to to be an average home user, you fucking mong.

Go to Debian website, download Power8 iso, install.

we should still be concerned about them

Can somebody explain this level of retardation to me?

How would *not* having a ME increase your TDP?

Why? this affects them in literally no way whatsoever.

I'm not quite sure if Intel ME has the option to set a limit on connected clients. If it does, then nullrouting its packets is the best solution.

It was an AMD joke pun meme standup prank anecdote

because everyone has normie relatives and friends

>kill yourself yourself

;^}

>Intel ME should be enough of one.
Oh you mean the thing we've confirmed can be disabled, not to mention if you already have older hardware that is pre-intel ME, just use that for a PFsense box and filter all your network traffic to only allow the things you want outside of your firewall.

But yeah, going full retard and wasting hundreds of dollars on Power7/8 is the better plan.

Do you carry your forewall box with yoursefl everywhere?
Whyen I see these posts I want to kys my s

More importantly

What makes you think the alterantives will be any more botnet-free?

But AMD has the exact same thing

Doing this would require knowing what packets are going to and from the intel ME. And as far as I can tell, nobody has any evidence of the ME sending or listening to unsolicited packets

So exactly what blacklist would you add to your firewall?

Yeah, why? Haven't heard of the Raspberry Pi?

But it is not ME.

And? Nobody's going to be using this machine but me. Even if I did let a "normie" on my machine, it's quite trivial to get them set up
>hey user, can I check my facebook on your computer
>sure
>proceed to open SeaMonkey then let them take over
Wow, that sure was tough.

>But yeah, going full retard and wasting hundreds of dollars on Power7/8 is the better plan.
Well considering the plan is literally the same since I found out about Intel ME you're in no place to criticize it based on that criteria. I just threw a random example since apparently I need to justify everything I do to some autist on the Internet.

But it's the same shit

>exact same thing

No it does not.

college kids piss me off

Raspberry Pi has proprietary SoC drivers and can not be trusted in this case. Also, it is overcomplicated. You can get a SBC computer a size of USB ZIP Floppy Disquette to run your firewall and also act as a Wireless network 802.11 Wi-Fi corldess card.

Not blacklisting, but limiting the connections. If you limit the allowed connected clients to 1, you can connect your shitty Pentium III from 1999 to your PC with Intel ME and forget about the privacy issues that surrounds Intel ME.

If you can;t install your gnu/linux os, then ask people on your usergroup to do that for you.

AMD TrustZone

google it

>If you limit the allowed connected clients to 1
what the shit is this even supposed to mean

one active TCP socket? Because that would be a retarded as fuck limitation

It ain't but I'd still like to hear from how it is.

It is not the same thing, you mongol. It is called other name, it uses different architecture and has different structure.
It was developed by different people ffs

You want to talk about getting pissed off? Here I am planning a build I've been aspiring for for at least five years and about to make it reality and I've got some autist on the Internet calling me a college kid repeatedly like it's some insult (even though I've made it clear I'm not in college), whining about X and Y even though it affects him in no way whatsoever, and trying to tell me what to do with my own damned money.

ME has full DMA, it can interact with your OS, it can inject acket into SSL traffic and so on.

Even though being an alternative to Intel, it's no where near as bad as Intel's solution. It's not the same.

Intel ME uses the network stack on it's own, in order to do this is has to have it's own IP address, it ALSO has it's own MAC address (even though you only have one NIC, it is given two different MAC addresses).

It's trivial to allow connections from one but not the other.

At the end of the day though, I have never seen the intel ME try and send or receive unwanted packets. The whole it's an NSA backdoor thing might be true, but I have seen no evidence of this.

>aspiring for for at least five years
say no more, you've already confirmed you're just a tech autist neckbeard who wants to jerk off to esoteric technology.

be on your way.

raptorengineering.com/TALOS/prerelease.php

Are you aware of this?

Do you get off by looking down on people on the Internet? That seems to be the only logical explanation for your behavior. Oh yeah heaven forbid I have interests and hobbies.

Yes, that's what I plan on buying. Used POWER7 or 8 server is just the backup plan.

Wow, the AMD shill defense force is real

>Intel ME uses the network stack on it's own, in order to do this is has to have it's own IP address, it ALSO has it's own MAC address (even though you only have one NIC, it is given two different MAC addresses).
That's not how networking works at all you dumbass. There's not some magical entity that “assigns” IP addresses uniquely with a “one per NIC, no cheating please!” rule.

There's fuck-all stopping an integrated ME or BMC from piggy-backing on top of the existing NIC's MAC and even IP.

Proper virtualisation support, would that mean you could stick a 1080 in and game in a windows VM decently well despite the underlying POWER8 arch?

If so I kinda do want that system.

>for around $5,300 USD
kkkkkkkeeeeek

Let me simplify it for you:
> Set the number of people allowed to control your PC to 1 (either by IP or MAC)
> Get a shitty computer (Pentium III) or an Android phone and control your PC using said shitbox or phone
> If anyone else tries to control your PC using Intel ME, they won't be able to do it because the only device that is allowed to control your PC is your shitbox or your Android phone
> Since you're the only person allowed to control your PC, nobody will be able to do shit to your PC unless someone gained access to your Android phone or shitbox.

There, got it?

I just wish that there's a way to completely disable Intel ME or just make it an add-on feature for business computers (Integrating it to the motherboard instead of the CPU, for example).

>game in a windows VM decently
>game
>POWER8
sure thing kid

Why not go read the developer guides regarding intel AMT before responding like a moron.

Everyone on Sup Forums pretending it's some NSA backdoor is hilarious to be honest. I use AMT all the time for managing remote computers at work.

Doubtful.

What's the issue?

This is the dumbest post in this entire fucking thread

>“control your PC”
jesus christ, what the shit is this even supposed to mean. You sound like your entire understanding of networking comes from reading the F1 documentation for the windows remote access tool

You can simply disconnect all network devices and use this computer locally with a keyboard and monitor. No need to reinvent the wheel.

>no explanation
>ebin googlel
Okkkkk

We use AMT at work too

>developer guide
Yes, I should totally trust a developer guide written by Intel to tell me all about hardware backdoors that Intel may or may not have embedded into their chips

Fucking retard.

Assuming you're getting the 8 core variant you're getting 3 year old performance for 8-10x the cost.

The Plex server that I built for my family requires some CPU horsepower, especially when streaming up to 8 clients at once.

I know this is only one example, but there are plenty of other instances requiring high performance components