/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

Specs lookup tool from type number:
tp.krelay.de/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.fr/KALEA-INFORMATIQUE-Controleur-EXPRESSCARD-SUPERSPEED-Affleurante/dp/B0083I317A
tp.krelay.de/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how can I tell whether a given T400 has a CCFL or a LED backlight screen?

I need to install windows on my x230, should I go win7 or 10? Got 10 EDU working on my main machine dualbooted and its pretty fucking great, but its running on a 16gb 6700k. what do?

I have an x230. Theoretically, would one be able to wire a second internal mSATA connector to the SATA pins on the dock connector? Is there enough room anywhere to store an mSATA SSD connected this way?

7. I had nothing but problems with 10. So, so many problems. Primary thing that made me go back to 8.1 was a broken fucking taskbar (it would crash very, very frequently).

reddit.com/r/thinkpad

They have recently had a spate of battlestation postings. Pretty awesome.

are there any ultrabook style thinkpads? all the ones listed above are too thick

Which Thinkpad has the best battery life? The battery doesn't have to be stock

Look up the carbon

x230 if you fully max out the battery you can get like 20 hours.

You're gonna need to buy a battery + slice from lenovo though, you CAN modify the bios to run third party batteries but I think the lenovo batteries are better anyway.

partypads

who here
>stuckin2004

I love my ThinkPad x220. Really think it's wonderful. But if only I could travel forward in time to 2026 so I could get a rereleased x220 which looks and feels the same but has graphical processing power in the CPU's integrated graphics chip on par with the high-end graphics cards of today. So I can play Overwatch and GTA V on this baby

ultraportable models that can accept slice batteries, 9 cells and ultrabay batteries

so, most of the tablets and x series models

best place to buy 6 cell batteries desu? ebay isnt throwing up a lot of results

post eGPUs

tell me about performance, especially when using the internal screen

my w520 needs a boost and finding a quadcore+2000m motherboard is too hard, plus i don't think it would help much anyway

i don't have an external monitor to use or anywhere to put one so i'm particularly interested in the performance drop when using the internal screen, is it a straight decrease in framerate or is it something shittier like microstutter?

please advise

who x201 masterrace here?

t420 + pe4c + 750ti

overwatch i can lock 30fps high settings on the internal screen 1600x900. 1366x768 and lower settings might get to 60

>i'm particularly interested in the performance drop when using the internal screen, is it a straight decrease in framerate or is it something shittier like microstutter?
It depends on the game. Some games load most of the data to the vram in advance, in which case the hit is minimal. Other games try to stream as you play. The latter type is rare, but pretty much unplayable. I think Dishonored is the best-known example of that.

>30fps
Literally unplayable

look at mr pro esportz gaymer over here won't accept less than 144 farts per second with a fucking business laptop from 2011 and a free parts bin gpu

To be fair, any FPS feels shitty at 30fps.

any thing --30 onwards has an (s) model which are the ultrabook versions. X230s T430s an so on.

there theoretically would be if you were to cannibalise the expressport.

>X230s
It's worth mentioning that this was a Japan (or at least Asia) exclusive model and you will never EVER find one anywhere else. X201s was the last time the West got a slim X series, but it's not that much thinner if any thinner at all than the X220.

Can anyone explain how to change the core speed on the w520? When plugged in it goes for max performance and gets pretty hot. When unplugged it's cooler but noticeably slower. Using cpuz it shows ~3.4 MHz when on the charger and when unplugged it's ~.9 MHz.

I don't really know anything about the significance of these numbers other then bigger number = faster, but want to able to set it an "average" speed for normal performance. I've explored the BIOS and could only find that I can either set it at max performance or battery saver.

The cpu is a i7 2860 qm and the gpu is a quadro 2000m

Also on a side note how do I make it so that the laptop sleeps when the screen is closed?

x220 masterace reporting

What do you even use these for?

>pe4c

Is it necessary to get an egpu expresscard thingy as expensive as that one. I looked it up and it is 162 USD whereas I've seen ones on gearbest for fifty bucks usd.

I have never done anything egpu related on a thinkpad just curious.

i did a clean install on used w540

what's do i need to install to get all the extra keys like volume up and down working? looking to install the least amount of bloat

Fun

I need some help guys
I was upgrading my t420 to 1600x900, so I swapped the LCD cable and as I'm putting back in the palm rest I accidentally put in a longer screw, i didn't notice till I hit a circuit? I'm nos sure what it is
So, i put it back together and it won't turn on, I'm trying to determine if that's the cause, it doesn't look too deep and if it is, do i need to change the motherboard?

Tl;dr im an idiot

I have an i7 t420 with integrated graphics. How big of a step up is the t430 with an i5 and Nvidia chip?

Thinking of getting a modern Thinkpad or similar computer but it needs to handle MATLAB well. Thinking an i7 and at least 12 GB of RAM, any suggestions?

If you get an egpu or just build a budget gaming rig it would be a better investment imo

what size hdd does a t420 use?

Is this a good deal on a w520? T420 owner here

i got it at a better price than that, but yeah i've heard the price jumped by a whole lot recently. the pe4c v3 is said to be more stable at gen 2 signalling than the older exp gdc versions. the more recent exp gdc v8 might have fixed that, though i'm not sure.

Does the T series have a tablet version? Basically looking for a 14" thinkpad with touch capability.

What sort of data will you be working with in matlab? I've an XPS 13 with an i7-6560u (2C/4T) and 8GB ram and haven't run into any issues with matlab.
Then again, I only use matlab for data filtering and analysis for my research. It all depends on your use case.

That isn't a bad idea. Only issue is the lack of proximity to the dock connector pins

Well, I ended up buying it despite everyone here telling me it was overpriced by a couple hundred bucks.

I'll be sure to report back next week with the inevitable buyers remorse.

>bells and whistles
>WiFi

t42 is my daily driver for web browsing, games, etc
r52 is for music storage
x41t is for drawing
R30 is for CS 1.6
380ED is for, idk, windows 98 funtimes, simcity 2000 and doom
G40 is just for the lols, thiccpad is so cool

X200/X200S here, picture shows my X200S.

I actually also used to have a X201, but the entry level i5-520m was way worse compared to the P8600 in my X200.

In any case, the X201 is the last no-touchpad X-series, so it deserves to be praised.

a custom touchpadless palmrest for the x2x0 would be sicknasty

[THINKPAD W520]
15.6" 1920x1080 LCD
Intel i7-2720QM Quad Core @ 2.2GHz
8GB RAM!
500GB SATA hard drive @ 7200rpm
2GB nVIDIA Quadro 2000M discrete video!
DVD+\-RW multi-burner
Built-in card reader
1394 Firewire port
802.11agn wireless
1GB Ethernet
Ultranav
Secure Chip
Fingerprint Reader
Built-in webcam
6c Li-ion Battery

>$300 USD
Did I make a good purchase? Gonna replace the battery with a 9 cell when it gets here.

I do image processing stuff, particularly with image registration

You have a recommendation? I've been looking at the newer XPS 13s with Kaby Lake

how do you guys clean the oil stains off your thinkpads and those light scrratches on the rubber top part behind the monitor? These minor cosmetic flaws are a real peev

>X220T
>2520M
>300gb HDD (have ssd sitting here)
>original 6 cell battery
>9/10 physical condition

>$150 AUD

merry christmas lads

get a broken mobo and replace just that chip if you have soldering skillz

screen resolution?
nvidia 1000m or 2000m?
it's a good deal anyway, but you should know exactly what you're buying

Hello /g
can someone tell me if this if usefull
amazon.fr/KALEA-INFORMATIQUE-Controleur-EXPRESSCARD-SUPERSPEED-Affleurante/dp/B0083I317A

and will work on Tkp X220

got a thinkpad branded laptop bag today.

looks pretty good, holds my x200 with 9cell like a champ.

was it expensive?

like 12 bucks shipped, which was a quick turn around. like a little over a week from china to the US

looks nice. i've been meaning to get a laptop bag for a while, i guess i'll look into one of these.
thanks

Do I need a 12,7cm or a 9,5cm caddy for my T420s?

R8 my pretty IBM T40

gay/10

Should I get an x201 or X220? I'll be using it for programming & note taking, which would be best for that kind of usage? Thanks!

stop touching the screen

X220t so you can actually take notes. Typing is not an effective learning strategy, plus its fucking annoying to have an autist banging away at his keyboard in lecture.

Is the keyboard very loud? In my class we all bang on keyboards cause programming, but the netbook I've got now (samsung n150) has a pretty silent keyboard, albeit slow as fuck that it can barely run xfce smoothly

Get the tablet variant of the x201, I use my X22T for note taking and it's pretty damn great use of the stylus because onenote. But the 16:9 screen ont he X220T is annoying. X201Thas a 16:10 screen so that helps alot.

X200 : the pins of the power input got destroyed a bit and it keeps disconnecting, it's really annoying to find the perfect positing of the plug. Can someone take a pic of its power in? I'm not sure which is signal/power/ground

around a year ago i bought a t420 from ebay. the battery charged up until 68%. I found this acceptable and didnt bother much.

Now, I bought another T420. For some reason I used the power adapter that came with it to charge my "old" thinkpad. Somehow, it charged it up to 83%.
Though, both power adapters show different modell numbers, they have the same power output.

Anybody has a clue what the reason might be?

What is that wallpaper?

hot air baloon. I have it somewhere, but i dont feel like going through 6k unsorted, improperly named, images to find it.

>hot air baloon
Thank you!

shameless self bump.
yeah the >tp.krelay.de/ is great, but wat do if there's no way for me to know the type (no type sticker left on the machine || too much hassle to ask the seller etc)?

>the entry level i5-520m was way worse compared to the P8600
please elaborate.
aside from the trivial fact that it's one generation ahead, afaik the 520m has noticeably higher benchmarks, and I can't find a single advanced feature on ark.intel which the P8600 possesses and the 520m does not.

scratches are not something that you can clean off. you can either be more careful with your next thinkpad, i.e. always tuck it in a sleeve or a dedicated padded laptop bag, or just accept it being a tool, not a jewelry piece, and hence signs of wear being nothing to be ashamed of.

>t42 is my daily driver for web browsing, games, etc
what specs does it have which make it daily driveable?
I can't imagine anything older than **00 being still daily driveable without huge pain.

TDP, 25 Watt vs 35 Watt, big difference for a laptop that size.

For X220 users
I got my x220 today, but cpu is very hot. 70-80 degrees with chrome, 50 degrees idle.
Is it normal on x220? i7-2620m version

I bought a 2570p for $100. I hope I don't regret it, I've never bought a laptop before.

>2570p for $100
Am europoor and jealous of such bargain.

This. It's a great laptop

X200s here, but I have the p9600 and the 1400x900 screen.

Are there any x201s's for sale anywhere?

max it out with a quad core

They're rare as fuck. Search ebay every day and you might find one within the next six months. Best official X series is worth it, though.

>GTA V
It'll play that on low settings right now.

I remember seeing one for like $250 on ebay a few weeks ago. Considering how rare they are, is that a normal price?

I got my x200s for $50.

Yeah, that's pretty good actually. Mine was an auction and it spiked to fucking $400 due to all the snipers piling on at the end. Of course, a week after I'd won it, I saw a buy it now listing for one for $150. You pretty much have to take whatever you can get with the rare models.

The product page said it has a quad core already, not sure if it's a mistake.

2 cores 4 threads

Repaste.

eBay? Does the x200s often go for that low?

I got it in "for parts or not working" condition, replaced the keyboard with a brand new one and slid in an SSD I already had.

So I now have this.
How the hell do I enable Wifi? I can't find a key that looks like the antenna symbol I'm used to. Sorry if I'm being dumb, on my previous laptop it just werked.

Look for a small switch on the right side of the machine and make sure it's pushed towards the battery.

Cheers buddy.

Anyone can take a clean pic of the power plug of a X200 (laptop side)?

It's not a fetish, I just broke mine and might solder something.

hey boys. complete fucking newfag. if i install linux on my chinkpad will it allow me to connect to public wifi/school wifi?

I have a t440s with the lower end i5 and 12 GB of RAM. I use MATLAB for image processing and parallel computing (to write programs for a computer cluster).

I'm interested in purchasing a Thinkpad for under $600 and there was someone in Amazon selling P50s and P70s for $600 when everyone else sold them for over a thousand bucks.

He's gone though, and now there's a guy selling them for $450.

As a future engineering student, these models are highly tempting but I'm unsure if it's bait, Sup Forums.

Of course nigga.

t. Recently-kill $200 Fedora Acer craptop owner.

Update on this.

The guy ran out, now there's another guy selling it back at $600.

What kind of RAM would fit into an x230?

I get the impression RAM chips aren't as standardized as hard drives. Those I can do.

>PC3-10600 DDR3 memory at 1600MHz
says the wiki

german keyboard?

german keyboard!

How much would you folks pay for a relatively unused T460 or X260, online on an auction or used items site?

>RETEQ
wut?

Bought an L420 second hand a couple of weeks ago. Dropped some extra RAM into it and a larger hard drive.
Current specs: Core i5-2520M / 12 GB RAM / 1 TB HDD.

Some thoughts:
a.) Did not realize until after purchase that the L420 is Legacy BIOS only, no UEFI.
b.) Did not realize until after purchase that the BIOS implements whitelisting for mini-PCI wifi cards.

Solved problem A by using Clover EFI bootloader to emulate EFI in software.
Solved problem B by flashing a modded BIOS.

Now multibooting Linux Mint 18, Windows 8.1 Pro and macOS Sierra 10.12.2, all installed in UEFI mode.

Problems aside, bretty gud laptop.