Is this the best CPU of all time?

is this the best CPU of all time?

i might literally never upgrade

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwareunboxed.com/every-core-i5-generation-benchmarked-lynnfield-to-skylake-7-years-of-i5-goodness/
youtu.be/WZ_5p9wd2dk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>not i7 2600k
pleb

>not bulletproof i7 940

Inferior scum.

I'm still using mine brother, I have it paired with a MSI gtx 1060 6gb and 16gb ram now

I sometimes feel the lack of HT and VTd, especially as of late.

>have a sandy bridge i7 mobile processor
can i hock it on ebay for money? i've got an ivy bridge laptop now so its just sitting there

Ryzen

Sandy for life.

>Build new computer during illuminated glorious i5 2500k kingdom
>fuck up and settle for inferior i5 2400

I'm a failure

lolno

Are there any games where it feels like a bottleneck?

Absolutely none, it's incredible, look at the benchmarks. Where GPUs had real advancements in the meantime, intel strolled in a circle, donated to Sarkeesian and added a few more ME features.

Rizen is going to shake things up. We'll see if it's worth upgrading from sandy meme in a few more years.

It's the successor to the glorious Q6600. At some point when intel starts actually improving performance again there will be another golden cpu to buy.

Eh. I was still using a Q6600 at 4Ghz until last year where I dumpster dived a "broken" HP prebuilt with a 2400.

Did some "remodelling" to the case and now the horrific CPU bottleneck is gone.

you know, i expected a 4.5ghz sandy to match at least a 4ghz haswell in single threaded. but that shows it 270 points behind. nearly 300.

so what? a 4ghz haswell is the equivalent of a 4.8-4.8ghz sandy?

actually, you know what, i think cpu-z isn't showing turbo clock. a 4790k turbos to 4.4ghz in single threaded scenario. so if cpu-z had turbo enabled on that 4790k, then that 270 point lead could very well be coming from that 4.4ghz turbo.

which would mean a 4.5ghz sandy could very well be as fast as a 4ghz, if not 4.1ghz haswell.

I had a Q6600 at 3.8, then upgraded to an i5-3570k at 4.2 after the 4000 series came out and the 3s dropped a bit in price.

I may upgrade to zen, i get antsy running such an old processor on principle, but it hasn't been a bottleneck in anything I have been running.

That award goes to my GPUs which I have been replacing every 2 years with the ~250 card, whatever that happens to buy at the time in that AMD series.

>Not i7 2700K

That's not a Q6600, faggot.

t. Q6600 master race

I'm interested in upgrading to Zen. I'm using some shitass Foxconn mobo so I won't be overclocking until I do a complete new build.

Then again I'll probably just buy a 1060/480 since I'm poor and CPU bottleneck is not a big deal just yet.

exactly this.

sandybridge shit all over your lap brah

That's not the 3570k

>released January 2011
damn, it really is kind of ridiculous. I'm getting Ryzen though

>Not pentium 4

>tfw I have the 3570k
>tfw built my rig in 2012
>tfw it was 4 years ago
>tfw I want to upgrade but it's pointless
>tfw I just upgraded my gpu and left it at that
>mfw

Sell it to me

>tfw built my first custom pc around the release of 2500k
>set a strict budget and considered options carefully
>decided gpu was most important and made compromises elsewhere
>came down to an fx 4170 which seemed to pair quite well with the 7870ghz i had decided on and a 2500k with an inferior mothboard at a ~$100-150 premium
>ultimately decided I couldn't afford the extra cost and went with the fx

I've regretted it ever since. I should have saved up just a little longer but I was too impatient to fulfill my dream of playing on pc.
Even with an upgrade to the 8320, I know I'd be happier with the 2500k.

Here's to hoping the release of zen leads to some interesting developments next year. Even if it's a bit of a bummer it might at least end the tyranny of intel's price gouging.
I have the means to build something much more capable, but i just cant bring myself to take the thorny cock of intel as they stand. Locking down the ability to overclock at all is horse shit.

>I've regretted it ever since. I should have saved up just a little longer
I have always told people to wait and save longer when it comes to these things. I always have friends irl coming to me for build advice and this is the number one thing I tell them. There's nothing worse than regretting part of your build because you couldn't save another $100 when in the grand scheme of things it's nothing since you're paying over a thousand typically...

People in 2002 said the same about Pentiums 4...

At this point you might as well invest in a good cpu that will last. Think about it, chipsets inevitably change with major updates (or minor refreshes in intel's case) and cpu progress has slowed to a crawl. Even discounting the laziness of intel, we're within pissing distance of the death of moore's law.
Meanwhile gpu's continue to advance in strides. And pcie isn't likely to be going anywhere anytime soon so you'll have an actual upgrade path without reinvesting in motherboard and ram.

still running a 2600k at 4.6 on air

probably the best tech purchase i have ever made

I got a 3570k from a friend for cheap, upgraded from an i3 2100.
Works pretty good, I guess.

>lga1155 mobo let's out some cap juice
>get a cheapo h61 because didn't research
>stuck at 33 multiplier

I've had this chip up to 4.7GHz before my old mobo started failing, why didnt I do my research before grabbing a new mono WHYyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

I was young and dumb. 18, working my first real job and fresh outta high school. I stupidly believed AMD would bring something worthwhile maintaining the same AM3 chipset.
At least I learned my lesson. Next year I'm just going to wait to see how things play out with zen, vega, and volta. Krabbylake is already confirmed to be a joke but for all we know intel will pull a 980ti on AMD's ass and fuck everone who had already bought hardware by releasing some crazy trump card.
Or not.
My fury nitro and 8320 will just have to carry me through.

It happens to us all. I bought a cheap Asrock board for my last build. I have had strange issues that I'm sure are related to it (computer not posting correctly the first time, shutting itself off and then starting correctly, buggy overclocking-- I just don't OC now because of the issues, gpu glitches not related to the actual graphics card... somehow caused by the motherboard, etc.).

I'll never cheap out on a motherboard ever again. To be honest I'm surprised it has worked as long as it has.

I've been using a $70 Asrock motherboard for 4 years now without any problems whatsoever

I think Sandybridge, Haswell and Skylake (Skylake mainly for the updated chipset features) were the ones to get in recent years.

If you have one of those, you did alright

it is indeed

I built my 3570k build and went Intel over amd CPU options and just bought a gtx660 graphics card, it was definitely the right choice instead of beefy graphics card and cheapo cpu

are you me?

I made my homework and selected my cpu's wisely.
Core 2 Duo
Q6600
I5-2520 (laptop)
I7-3770K

last 2 are still in use since 3-4 years.

I had expensive ones who died 2 months after guaranty run out and cheap ones who could still work after 6 years.
I am inclined to think it has more to do with luck than any other factor.

that's not the i5 4590k.

i7 920 master race

I know those 5% or 10% increments don't look too impressive to you, but 5 generations have gone past, and those tiny increments add up.

Kaby is at least 30% faster, if not 40%

I would have bought this over a phenom II if the price difference alone wasn't big enough at the time to buy me a graphics card better than the one I was building the system around.

I mean seriously you could get a black edition Phenom X2 that could be unlocked into an X4 for a third of the price of the I5, even when that Phenom is bottlenecking your shithole now it was the best bang for the buck.

Love the 2500K though, and if I come into some cash will buy one.

Bought an i5-2500k in early 2011 for my first cpu build and still using it. Already went though multiple OS systems, GPUs, power supplies, motherboards, keyboard and mouse peripherals but the processor has always been the same. If it craps out right now I wouldn't even be mad, already got my money's worth long ago.

But that's going to add next to nothing to benchmarks on vidya, the argument that a 5-7 year old CPU can still handle AAA titles out now on max settings without it being the bottleneck is a testament to the design quality of the Sandy Bridge.

Other applications outside of vidya then yes, it has fallen compared to the latest architecture

>kaby is at least 30% faster
top kek
another reason to not upgrade

im gonna upgrade to a i5 6600k for the next 5 years.

if intel stays on the same upgrade path, ill be safe for a while.

>Q6600
The 2500k of its time.

>not 6600k

pleb

What is the i5-2500k of laptops?

>tfw cheaped out and got a Phenom II x2 555 that didn't unlock to a quad core instead of a 2500k

The Phenom lasted me 3 years but still if I went with the 2500k I might have never upgraded.

J U S T

I'm selling my 2500k core system for $250. I've been having second thoughts. I regret selling my old phenom II core system for $230 a few years ago. If my buyer comes through I'll sell it anyways though.

My little brother was playing CODBO3 and Garrys mod with me fine on my spare 2500k+6950 system. He even asked to buy it from my afterwards lol. Hes rocking hand me down 860+480 but his rooms hot and the 480 ran at 90C when maxing it in my room which is a little warm but not bad. He gets throttling sometimes.

no, the athlon xp 2500+ was

>got a 3570 instead of 3570k because my dad was buying it for me as a gift and I didn't want him to spend extra money
>now that I work I could easily buy a new CPU but the marginal improvement doesn't seem worth it
>everyone bullies me if I ever post my specs

If this threads still around tomorrow maybe ill run my 2500k at 4.4 against my haswell-e on 4 cores no HT on IBT for a good comparison.

Slower than a Kaby Lake I3

even slower than skylake i3

>implying the pentium 4 didn't suck donkey balls

you were just trolling, right?

>it took 5 generations for the higher clocked low range to match a lower clocked mid range part

Wow it's fucking nothing.

If zen doesn't always least succeed in providing a tempting mid range piece we might as well give up on any chance at real development in the desktop space.
If AMD fails we probably won't even move past whatever process node intel is on at the moment. They'll just sit back and rake in the money until desktops are dead and gone. Forget utilizing materials other than silicon, intel will find ways to resell the same shit 10x over at 10x the cost.

>at 5+ GHz
lmao

[citation needed]

>built my first PC when I graduated in 2011
>spared no expense.
>opted for the 2600k because reviews at the time said it was the fifth fastest CPU in the world
>skipped the velociraptor hdd, good move
>corsair tx850v2, not good move (cable hell)

Only changes I've really made since then are:
>samsung 850 pro
>firewire pci card (need it for HDV tapes)
>sold tx psu for hx psu
>gtx 550ti four years ago

Thinking of getting a 1060 but not sure if its worth it to me.

Not OP but I have the CPU as him. When I play BF1 I can definitely feel the bottleneck.

I have the 3570 as well. Have strength user.

hardwareunboxed.com/every-core-i5-generation-benchmarked-lynnfield-to-skylake-7-years-of-i5-goodness/

thank you for your work rajesh.
0.49 shekels is credited in your account.

>not X5560

pleb

Upgrade to X55xx hex core mate you won't regret it

They overclock even better

I'm thinking about it, i just need to find the right one,

I bet you think you're funny.

I've tried telling him what a dumbass he is, but he won't listen. A friend of mine with a 2500k that he hasn't even overclocked wants to upgrade to the new i7 7700k for video games. He thinks his CPU is bottlenecking him, and not his GTX 960.

>tfw years from now the i5 2500k will be seen as the same light the Q6600 is now
Will there ever be such a sweet spot ever again?

>Asrock

You deserve it.

Tell him he's a retard and prove it with gaming benchmarks.

He could go to a 1070 and do a mild overclock and for under $400 would see a significant performance increase.

If Zen turns out well and forces Intel to actually do more than 2% improvements then I bet we'll get another sweet spot cpu in the next 2-3 generations.

>he doesn't have 6 cores and 12 threads.
I feel sorry for you all.

is this the best CPU of all time?

i might literally never upgrade

No. Right now, it's a toss up between the 6700K, the 6900K, and the 4930K.

mfw my i5 6400 is overclockable. lmao

Athlon XP and Pentium 4 are unironically still pretty usable if you don't care about modern games and you have a graphics card with good hardware-accelerated video playback.

I have used ASRock for a few years now, and I have not had any problems.

pentium 4 was barely usable when it came out

>6400

A fool and his money etc etc.

Shoulda got the i3 6100 or the i5 6500

Oc q6600
The best

>not having a i7 6950x
lol fucking poorfags

Remind me why I should bother to upgrade my CPU any time soon.

Same here, built in 2012, 3570-k, just had to put in another 680 and it's still good

xeons are better

u missed the part where i said 6400 is overclockable with the right bios. why would I pay more for a 6500?

no

What the fuck? Only 4.2ghz on a x5680, I hope you are running air on a low end mobo.

Those things are usually good for 4.5-4.8ghz on a good motherboard on water.

digits of truth

only 4.5ghz? you fucking pussy

2500k loses you 20fps in modern games.

PROOF:
youtu.be/WZ_5p9wd2dk

>tfw too intelligent to play videogames

>Not overclocked X5650