Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
youtube.com/watch?v=aEbAaL7fPl4&t=149s
youtube.com/watch?v=sq_6VcOQrv4
youtube.com/watch?v=a1R8Rx2db9c
youtube.com/watch?v=w1vfnkPgFQY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Enjoy shitty mp3s

I bet you wear artisan scarfs made from small family farm raised sheep, you hipster fuck.

>not wanting to listen to your dadrock albums with all the glorious pops and clicks
what are you, gay?

>supporting small family operated business
>hating hand made products
Hope you enjoy your mass produced Malaysian garbage you poor fuck

Om retards have records that sound like shit. If you have a DECENT record player and you treat your records well then they will sound great.

Why not? records sound comfy and make decent wall decorations. I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on them but my parents had a turntable they gave me for free along with some records and I've bought a few releases that were only released in a vinyl format

Edcuate yourself morons

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
>However, because of the limitations of the vinyl format, loudness and compression on a released recording were restricted to make the physical medium playable—restrictions that do not exist on digital media such as CDs—and as a result, increasing loudness levels never reached the significance that they have in the CD era.[3] In addition, modern computer-based digital audio effects processing allows mastering engineers to have greater control over the loudness of a song; for example a "brick wall" limiter can look ahead at an upcoming signal to limit its level.

>dad rock
>not my favorite interwar period tango

Get this nigger out of here

It's fun collecting LP's and is an excuse to spend money on a quality stereo system setup.

You haven't lived until you've listened to the Charleston on a real victrola

But turntables are fun!

did you even read the article you linked? the loudness war isn't considered to be a good thing

They wont sound as good as 320mp3/lossless on a decent computer sound system
if they do, you have to spend a bunch of effort keeping everything clean and perfect to make them so, wheras they just always would on a computer or something else.
This is correct though. Turnable and vinyl records is cool. Its like buying posters or something. Whatever album you liked enough to want to get it in VINYL has a big physical object to go with it with big art on the front.

they're fun, musicians enjoy putting them out as a hard copy, and it's not like you're banned from listening to digital if you listen to vinyl

Get with the times faggots :^)

It's fun. I love going to swap meets and building my collection.

I got a ton of big band and swing, early rockabilly, and rock and roll.

I'm slowing finding every Frank Sinatra record ever produced. I've got a lot of his LPs from 1957 to 1966.

Did you?
The part I quoted explains that vinyls are less affected by the loudness wars because of physical properties

Loudness wars = Bad
Vinyls = Less effect from loudness wars
Vinyls = Good

ah, then we're in agreement.

carry on

But I wanted to be angry :(

I have around 20 frank sinatra records. And I have a few records from '55, foxtrot and such.

Records are fun.

Did a side by side test with Dark Side of The Moon and House of The Holy on my Zune HD and a turntable. The MP3's sounded like an empty void.

Stop liking what I don't like.

There is literally nothing wrong with that.

>malaysian
Excuse me sir i think you meant vietnam. good goy the nerve of some people.

>lossy
There's your problem

Try being a faggot somewhere else
youtube.com/watch?v=aEbAaL7fPl4&t=149s

I have a CD collection.
I'm not huge into vinyl but I have a Turntable. I also have a cassette deck.

Would you sell me that Zune HD for an actually reasonable price?

It is not only about the quality, it is about the collecting.

Its just hipsters. Like everything else, they'll soon get bored with it

Don't tell hipsters/audiophags that vintage clicks and hiss are just mixed into the masters

T. Tiny music collection/"I use Spotify for the 8gb of music I listen to!"

>he posts pictures on a malaysian dog cooking forum

>music recorded with microphones, not produced entirely in software
>then recorded on a soft plastic disc, losing both highs and lows, as well as the finest details
>then played back using a needle that slowly destroys the recording
How can one hate audio quality so much?

try not to worry about it too much

>band goes into studio
>guitarist plugs into 100 pound vintage tube amplifier
>engineer records guitar
>adds digital reverb, compression, equalization
>rest of album recorded and mastered on computer using pro tools as well
>album is pressed on vinyl

muh analog warmth

(you)

a lot of punk bands around here still put shit out on tapes. it'd be pretty easy to just say they do it for hipster cred, but there's some other practical reasons for using that format.

-it's something physical at the show merch table someone can buy and take home
-stick a bandcamp download code in there and the audio rip problem is taken care of
-at lower numbers, it's cheaper than professionally-made cds.
-faster to copy 100 tapes with the duplicator you stole from the high school av club or found in a dumpster than using the cd burner in your computer
-they're a dumb loud punk band. not losing much ~*fidelity*~ by using an inferior format

Let's see if our digital music collections are still around in 40 years.

I have hundreds of rare rave records from the early 90s. Fuck your mp3s

I have LPs. How else am I going to play them back?

>I have lots of electronic i.e. digital music on my analog media
>fuck your digital format
Aren't you a special flower.

yeah that TB-303 fueled 90s rave music was so digital

Came here to post this, glad I'm not the only human being who enjoys the genre. I've been looking into a few Music Instructor and Scatman John 12"s lately, but haven't really found the best turntable to really enjoy them with yet.

fuck you and kill yourself

And you killed a thread for this? Granted it was probably also shit, but really?

>vinyl
Nice meme.

>2017
>not jumping on the cassette bandwagon

Vinyl is so ten years ago

Hello, hipsters!

>Not collecting both

>Hipsters
Hello, 2010!

Aren't cassettes vinyl for poorfags?

>current year
>not burning music onto CDs

I use flacs tho

I still use a turntable becuase I still own records. I enjoy putting a record on and just listening to it without other distractions, it's a zen thing for me.

>implying cd aren't the most soulless physical medium

Jesus, calm your collective tits, some people still use surplus guns, some people still drive manual transmissions, and some people like LP'S. Get the fuck over it. Did a vinyl rape you as a child? What do you have against him? Dudes a pretty good guy if you ask me. I still buy vinyls of modern album's because I like the medium, but if you think I don't have FLAC copies of most my music then you are dumb. I also think the mosin is effective still, and I drive manual transmissions because they are a blast.

>let me show the alter to my gullibility

Hold your horses, guize.
I present you with the next big thing:
>historically important
>extra rich and natural sound, straight from the source
>Because there are no electronics sound is captured as it is heard with ear. No electro-distortions and limitations

>doesn't use electricity. By using it you conserve energy resources and save our precious planet.

>retarded
Believe it or not, some people are passionate music fans who enjoy the process of digging through crates to find their favorite records, supporting musicians, owning physical copies of albums they love, etc. Ask any unpretentious collector why they do it and these are the responses you will get, not some bs about how they love the hiss and pops.

I started collecting records 10 years ago which I was 16 (and before it was considered "cool" or "hipster", depending on your social circle). Sure, there are a lot of people who want to go out and buy the new limited Tame Impala 12" on green vinyl or whatever, play it on a Crosley from Urban Outfitters and hang the sleeve on their wall, but there are posers in every subculture. There are also plenty of passionate collectors who derive genuine pleasure from building up a personal library of music they love. Sorry your autism levels are too maxed out to comprehend this.

Also, this is a technology board. Vintage hi-fi tech is awesome. Not sure what your issue is.

Good posts.

Tapes are cool too. Lots of good tape labels popping up on bandcamp over the last several years. Very exciting scene.

Cylinders actually have some advantages over discs, mainly in terms of potential dynamic range, but they are way fucking harder to mass produce.

>he's never heard a MSS record played back on a VPI turntable with a McIntosh preamp/amp and martin logan speakers

pleb

digital music is a meme

>during one performance a limited amount of copies are produced.
>real audiophiles would appreciate this kind of exclusivity

you probably use Wipe My Ass from microsoft with drm

I like to buy CDs
>mp3 is the only lossy audio format
my .ogg rips sound pretty good
>implying records players are better
I like to leave a bowl of rice crispies (or something similar like pop rocks) in front of a microphone and mix that in so my digital music sounds like it's being played through a high-end vinyl setup

I wouldn't want one recorded live, there's no system that can do anything even remotely hi-fi directly to that sort of media. Record to tape then do a limited number of manual transfers somehow if you were going to, I guess.

I've never owned (or heard) a record before.

Is there really a discernible difference between CD audio and vinyl audio?

Enjoy your piece of shit plastic disc that's lossy by its very fucking nature of being a turd that was created by scratching a piece of plastic and pretending that it's music.

the sheer novelty of it is pretty cool, to be honest

it's like mechanical keyboards. no real advantage but you spend extra for the experience.

exactly. Or Apple or whom ever decides to reach into your computer to delete music you paid for because they decided you no longer have rights to it anymore.

Meanwhile vinyl, cassette, and CD listeners have no such worry.

>primarily analog synth driven music
>thinks it's digital

kill yourself.

>not having your own private mechanical band play for you live
plebs

youtube.com/watch?v=sq_6VcOQrv4

>how dare you support local economies instead of your capitalist overlords
>it wasn't mass produced in some asian sweatshop by child laborers- the nerve!
>they treated their craft as art instead of products for profit- what twats!

>not playing it yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=a1R8Rx2db9c

Vinyl makes good collection items and they come with art and are aesthetically pleasing.

I dont do my listening on vinyl, but they make for good merch aside from shirts and stuff.

>turntable

it's called a record player you retard

>record player
it's called a phonograph you retard

You realise, that I wrote all that shit about phonographs to mock vinyl?
I like the ritual of playing vinyl records myself (I don't have a vinyl record player).
I just don't like faggots who are so sure of themselves, that they hear how much better vinyl sounds and they preach about it to everyone. That is just simply untrue.
The same thing is with photo cameras, once in a while I'll see someone rocking a film camera. There is absolutely no practical reason to use film, but I understand that the process itself is fun.

This is pretty much my view as well. I do listen occasionally, but I'm fucking paranoid about dirt on them and stuff.

>I just don't like faggots who are so sure of themselves, that they hear how much better vinyl sounds and they preach about it to everyone. That is just simply untrue.
Are you assuming I'm one of those people? Not sure why you would. I think cylinders would have a neat novelty factor, and they might be able to produce better sound than regular vinyl discs if they were cut properly (from what I know of both), but I'm not under the illusion that either format is better than properly recorded and mastered digital audio.

My whole rational behind actually buying vinyl is that since physical media is undeniably dying it seems like if one was to get only a single physical medium vinyl'd be the best. Outside of the whole "vinyl sounds better" meme there is a certain pleasure to having physical media and vinyl is the most physical of those formats.

Buying everything on vinyl would be fucking dumb as well as costly but I primarily just buy albums I like physical shit. CDs are pretty much dead and so is Vinyl so it just comes down to which is more novel desu.

what the fuck it made the initialism for "to be honest" into desu.

wordfilters, newfag
shake my head to be honest family
turn into
baka desu senpai

Tapes are "hipster" but cool if you actually want to buy music, since pretty much anyone can have a tape release. It's easier for some nerd on bandcamp to make 50 tapes and sell them then press a vinyl release.

How about burning cds?

tape duplicators can actually be faster and cheaper than a computer with a single burner. and weirdly enough, a cassette could be perceived as a more professional looking item than a burned cd

the kitch factor is admittedly there. i hear it all the time at merch tables: "our tapes sell better than the cds"

But if you are operating at "I'm selling 50 tapes" level, I think going digital is the only way. Not only higher exposure, but probably money is better too.
Anyways, burning cd at 52x takes 3-4minutes. Knowing that audio, at best, would fill max ~150mb it would take even less. How much does it take to duplicate a tape?
Anyways, I have only the worst memories of using tapes. Pure shit.

the band at 50 tapes-level is doing both: bandcamp page and tapes/vinyl (with a dl code slipped in) to buy at the show. ive never ever seen a touring or local band sell only codes on a card. audiences love to walk out with something physical

imagine it's some band member's job to get 50 *somethings* with the songs on it made up
>shit man my macbook air doesn't have a cd burner. i gotta get an external one for like $100, then sit there swapping discs every few minutes.
vs
>yooo my bud got a 10 tape duplicator that this a/v business was throwing out. he's already done 4 other bands' latest release on it and the kids seem to be buying those up a lot faster than the cds they tried last time

Well to be fair, they are probably choosing tapes over CDs for the small distros for "hipsterish" reasons.

>shit man my macbook air doesn't have a cd burner. i gotta get an external one for like $100, then sit there swapping discs every few minutes.
>shit man, what am I gonna do with this cassete? I aint buying cassete player for this shit.
Anyways, I think this is more hipster effect, than something based on efficiency, etc.
Just took a look at prices:
8pack blank audio cassete - 9.28$ (1.16$ a piece)
Going to a production firm for 500 pieces of cd's, in sleeves, with prints on cd, production time is 5 days + next day shipping one piece costs 1.13$.
I googled first results, I feel that you could find even cheaper if you really dug.

Idk I definitely enjoyed it last time I listened to a vinyl record. Not enough to bother getting a record player but it was definitely nice. What is problem?

family

Vinyl is selling but mostly it's not played it is filled instead. There is something magical about a record player.

>not using a laser turntable

>vinyl
>not listening to the master tapes used to press the vinyls
youtube.com/watch?v=w1vfnkPgFQY

tapes sell better because you can charge 4 dollars for a tape. with professionally made CDs you have to charge at minimum 7 dollars if you want to make any money. People like tapes more as a collectible, some hardcore band got caught selling blank tapes because they didnt expect anyone would actually listen to it.

>was a hipster before it was cool