Can the Microsoft Surface Phone save the Windows Phone platform?

Can the Microsoft Surface Phone save the Windows Phone platform?

No.

Windows Phone has had no issue with hardware or OS for a long time. The problem is the program library: Android and iOS have millions of apps, Windows Phone has... how many? Twitter and???

A new phone is not going to fix the limited program library.

The Windows phone, this entire time, should have been exactly what they promised in the first place - one OS, that uniformly works the same between all devices. And in that capacity, there should have been a docking system - use the phone as a hard drive for a laptop dock or a desktop, which would attach via a bus and be bootable off of, and run smoothly.

Instead, they completely squandered an opportunity to set the standards for years to come. They had a beautiful opportunity with the 950, and unless the Surface Phone has a higher functionality than the cheaper and more supported Android platform, then it's just as dead in the water as the 950 ended up.

If it has NVMe storage, yes. If it has x86 programs, yes.
Both of those must be "yes" for it to succeed, otherwise it's into the trash.

If convergence is pushed in marketing, Windows phone can survive. It has to become a part of the iot/home control system via doc or Bluetooth and be powerful enough to be your desktop. Laptop use is still clunky but I'm sure someone could figure out a way to make that better.

>does it have Snapchat? No
>does it have Tinder? No

Good luck selling them to anyone who's interested in popular basic apps.

Microsoft would be better off making an Xbox gamepad smartphone and differentiate themselves. Xbox is 'cool' and Windows isn't.

no, rebranding won't help since surface isn't a blockbuster so far.

Just release a 6" Surface with a slider keyboard, phone capabilities, LTE built in, clit, and bumpers for left and right click.

I mean, what the fuck do they have to lose at this point?

Fun fact - The internal code names for the device family in OP's pic were Maya and Tamara. The pic looks like a DV2 render of Tamara, which was scrapped before Nokia happened.

Maya made it to EV3, and about 500 units were built. They were decent devices for the day. Wish I still had mine, but had to give it back when I left the company.

>snapchat
>tinder
>basic

I want underages to leave Sup Forums

I'm 28 and I use Snapchat with my girlfriend

>search button

is this thing from 2009?

why is it trapezoidal?

Replacing a Windows CE based OS with a NT one was a huge mistake. Actually, porting desktop OS to phones was a huge mistake, and Microsoft was among the few, along with Nokia and Blackberry, to not have made this mistake.

NT is bloated and not fit for an embedded portable device. It'll be shit and there's no saving it.

I want to be openminded about it.
What does snapchat offers over something like telegram and normal voice calling?

>Windows Phone
It's dead, Jim

No chance, they left it WAY too late to get into the smartphone game. Android and iOS already had the entire market by the time they got their act together.

Windows on a phone has the same issue Linux has on the desktop. Marketshare is too small for developers to bother with, and when you're late to party, not much chance of changing that.

It's just a question of vibe.

It's not what snapchat doesn't have, it's what you don't have.
A girlfriend.
That's the answer.

That two-tone looks like shit.
Just like the Pixel.

That's a nice looking phone

Hope so.
If my Lumia dies I'll probably get an iPhone if MS don't have any new phones out. I refuse to use shitty android ever again.

No.
It cant.
End of story.

But I do. As I said we use telegram and voice calls.
Sometimes facebook videochat when I'm on a buisness trip.

they got the koran and islamic prayer times app market on lockdown.

I've got the Lumia 950xl at the moment and I'm loving it. Next time I can upgrade I'm going to the Surface Phone if it ever does come out. It could just be a big tease

No.
Hardware is not the issue.

The lack of market penetration can be attributed to a few things:

1: People, no matter what you toss in front or behind it, see "Windows" as a computer operating system. This is why Windows RT failed. It wasn't "real" windows. Windows Mobile was the last time people accepted that things that say "windows" don't have to be computers. And before you say "Oh, it DOES run a full version of Windows! *wink wink nudge budge*", You're fooling precisely nobody. The first time someone can't just got to "iwantavirus.com" and download an emoji pack, they're going to call your device fraudulent and fake and "not real".
2. Even if it DOES run a REAL full version of Windows 10, with an x86 processor and all, nobody wants a "real" operating system in their pocket except us, a small niche market. It won't go anywhere with that mentality. It needs to be a phone, running a phone operating system, for doing phone things, to be successful in the phone market.
3. Android and iOS already dominate the market, so Microsoft is gonna have to give some REAL good reasons to swap, cause they're not getting "never had a smart phone" customers anymore. Even old folks have basic android phones or iPhones. And hardware ain't a good reason to swap. They need compelling software, and I doubt they'll have any.

Nobody uses tinder anymore.

I want something to look my presentations and other documents on them and not take fucking selfies and send it to everyone.

Hell NO

App support sucks because they have no apps

thinking of picking one up for use as a wifi device/side phone. is windows 10 finally stable? i heard nothing but horror stories about shitty battery life, "resuming", crashes, and whatever else you'd expect from beta software.

is the internet browser any better in W10 phones? I had a W8 phone and the browser sucked huge balls. Chrome on Android is near perfect

That's the only thing keeping me in the Android camp. I could care less about apps. I just need a good internet browser

It's pretty good. I haven't had any serious problems yet. And the battery life is fine. I listen to music and use it constantly throughout the day and once I get home from work It's at around 40% remaining.

No but I'll buy one anyway.

Bump

>The Windows phone, this entire time, should have been exactly what they promised in the first place - one OS, that uniformly works the same between all devices. And in that capacity, there should have been a docking system - use the phone as a hard drive for a laptop dock or a desktop, which would attach via a bus and be bootable off of, and run smoothly.

This is literally what they did

i think it would maybe be a good idea for microsoft to say 'ok we don't do mobile devices any more', as everyone already has either an iphone or an android. then they can offload the risk of device manufacture & distribution onto someone else while raking in office 365 subscriptions from people installing office apps onto the phones they have already.

It's better but not on Chrome's level.

i really wish they could bring it together one last time with surface phone, I'd love a third player in the mobile market and if one's going to make it it's Microsoft. #believe

Windows phone had an app called "Timber" that was like knock off Tinder.

Does anyone still use Tinder?

yes

No.

No it's too late, MS's mobile ambitions were doomed the second they jettisoned windows mobile 6.5.

They forgot an important rule of software dev: NEVER break backward compatibility.

Sure. If people keep jumping off the Apple bandwagon they'll want a phone to match their Wangblows powered Sufacepadbook shitheap.

Yeah but they did it 9 years too late

>important rule of software dev: NEVER break backward compatibility
t. Delhi Upstairs Technical Computer Make Apps Make Money University graduate

It's not what one app has vs another app. It's about what people use. And if the majority of people use Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, Snapchat and tinder. If you don't have it for your OS then it is useless.

oh yeah I'm sure your hello world FizzBuzz experience just speaks for itself

hell no.

The entire handheld computer industry worked off of Windows CE. When Microsoft gave them the finger saying oh your CE apps won't work on 7 and then the apps from 7 won't work on 8.

They decided to go Android.

t. entire handheld computer industry spokesman, i'm sure

You're most likely in college so you were in middle school when windows phone 7 was announced?

At the time of it's announcement I was at a company that made medical record and health software for windows ce and windows. When we found out that there wasn't going to be backward compatibility, the company took a wait and see approach to windows phone 7 to see how hospitals would approach it and started putting more resources into iOS development. After windows 7 bombed they moved CE into the legacy lane and put their full backing behind iOS.

MS was fucking stupid to cut support. Not only that but they broke backward compatibility with windows 8 AND 10. They broke compatibility 3 times over the span of 4 years I think. I would really like to read some kind of in depth article on wtf they were thinking at the time similar to that blackberry article that came out a few years ago.

They need Bill Gates back

>I was at a company that made medical record and health software for windows ce and windows
i'm talking about people that matter, not the shapeless blobs that install printers and tell people to reboot their computers

I was in a distribution company and our handhelds were so far behind we were getting "new" shit in 2015 with CE. They still havent upgraded because they don't know what to upgrade to.

>People that matter
>Actually believes consumers move Microsoft in any direction

People that matter have moved on from Microsoft Windows Mobile

no, i'm saying i care about the opinions of people that matter at Vague Unnamed Exists-I-Swear Medical Corp, not those of useless barely-functional retards who install printers.

Here's hoping it does; WP was by far the easiest to learn smartphone OS I've ever used. Android is and always be a clusterfuck, and I just don't like the design of ios (and it only has 1 button).

The problem is of course that android is now self sufficient because of its huge number of apps, which also prevents WP from becoming a serious player. There was that time when they wanted to get Android apps working in WP, but they cancelled it because it would've fucked over all the devs who actually bothered making WP native stuff.

>Android is and always be a clusterfuck, and I just don't like the design of ios (and it only has 1 button).
I get it: it's one of those threads where we all pretend it's 2010.

>Android
>Clusterfuck

Have you even used Android within the last 3 years? And not any Samdung touch jizz trash, either.

>caring about what other people use
A phone is a work tool.
I care for a phone that works, and does it well.

For anything else computers are still the superior choice.

How are you going to communicate with people who aren't even on the same platform and have no access to the same communication platforms that you're in?

Are you going to stick by a OS regardless of its utility as a communication tool?

Probably not.

it's a shame because it was a Microsoft Lumia that really helped me out when I was a homeless fag. They were selling them off contract, a working smartphone, with browser and games and everything, for about 40 gbp here. It was a godsend. Doing much better now on 28k/yr but damn, it's a great phone, also the Windows UI is nice on a phone, shit on a desktop.

iPhone is too expensive for my tastes and I don't fancy getting robbed and android is an ugly clusterfuck, as said above.

Microsoft phones are poorly supported though and the app store is a huge mess. Also the built in apps are useless or ugly compared to the competition.

I think they'd be perfect if they let them use the google app store somehow and java.