Nokia 3310 Thread

So tell me what makes this phone one of the most durable phones ever built?

And what makes the battery charge last for weeks?

Also do you have one? Post it here please!

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/nokia_150-8475.php
androidcentral.com/nokia-making-comeback-2017-hmd-secures-exclusive-rights
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is with all the welfare meme shit on Sup Forums?

Stop ironically using outdated devices so you don't appear "mainstream"

>And what makes the battery charge last for weeks?
come on, are you serious?

Nokia 3310 is a legendary mobile phone for a reason

>So tell me what makes this phone one of the most durable phones ever built?

Because Nokia at the time designed phones to last, not like now when all phones are built to last until the warranty ends.

Because they optimized it so that the battery would last a long time.

>come on, are you serious?

What are you talking about? When I had one of these I charged it once per month.

I had this phone like8 years back and it was pretty awesome seeing the battery lasting for more than a week.

Yes he is; he is too young to know why.

I depends on the use tho. I remember my dad having one and always told about how the charge lasted for 2-3 weeks.

And for what i remember he kept it for more than 10 years I guess until he got his Note 2.

of course it will last that long, phone has shit specs

But... battery spec was amazing.

It has great specs... Way faster to call someone, reboot, send sms and so on than the newest iphone.

Love this phone.
I want it inside me.

It's made of diamond, the hardest metal known to man

Cold fusion

I wish there was a modern equivalent. Just a big swappable battery and phone functions, no touch screen or any smart phone shit. With today's tech picrelated could last for literal months.

I'd personally like it to have a decent camera, but I understand it would be a weird product. "Just a phone! btw also camera"

>Ctrl+F Nokia customizable covers or buttons
You just post a thread about the legendary Nokia phone without talking about customization? Crap thread.

Oyeah because these tacky plastic shits were so good.

It doesn't have a removable battery but I think it's durable enough and it must have a lasting battery.

Back in the day phone stores can customize the LED lights from green to whatever color you want. And I remember having those ring alert adhesive stickers that flash whenever there's a incoming call.

thick plastic is more elastic than metal, it absorbs shock by bending/warping rather than denting, the screen is small, and the screen window is also plastic

no fancy-ass cpu/gpu, small screen, i don't remember if it had a backlight, but don't think it did

Every other form of technology has evolved faster then the battery. It just so happened that batteries at this point were very capable of achieving this

There was an active backlight (usually green, along with the keypad) and the screen was always on.

those reflective 1bit LCD's sip fuckall power
examples: desktop calculators that run off a shitty little solar cell in a barely-lit room, digital watches

Nokia 103 or 1280. They're basically improved versions of 1100 which came out in 2003.

>saying outdated devices unironically
>doesn`t realize those devices still function as was intended

isn`t THAT ironic

>300$
why

Dis nigga knows what he's on about.

The big durable Nokia N series phones were manufactured under a contract that Nokia recieved from Mercedes Benz to sell with their high end cars at the time, but one of the big problems with them was that they were actually made well: Too well.

They were only in production for a a few years or so and they floated around until Nokia started to remake them in more recent years to a lesser standard using more standard phone plastics they'd developed in the interim. It's hard to actually find one of the newer run models that will also as well as the old ones did.

> weeks
Simply not true, more like 3-4 days, my 8310 outlasts my 3310 by days.

gsmarena.com/nokia_150-8475.php

but there are plenty of them.
almost any brand has a low budget, low spec, just werks phones

>but one of the big problems with them was that they were actually made well: Too well.

They actually made them so durable on purpose. They only realized later that building mobile phones that can last 50 years is not good business. So they made all sorts of novelty phones (remember the n-gage?) with features that the nokia 3xxx series did not have.

except of course these phones are modern, so a 16 year old 3310 will still likely outlast anything you buy now. Even with the headstart

>more like 3-4 days

Are you constantly talking on the phone 24 hours per day? it lasts weeks even if you have a marathon snake playing session that last for weeks.

>They actually made them so durable on purpose

Yeah, i thought that was implied by my writing but looking it over i probably should have stated that. Funny fact, i actually have a N-gage sitting on my desk that has been there for fuck knows how long, it broke somehow and i've never been bothered to open it up and see what's wrong

>it broke somehow

Nokia learned their lesson and did like all other phone manufacturers. The 3310 will likely outlast the company and maybe even several western countries.

Damn straight. I also own one of the newer Nokia models that is modelled of of the old N-series designs, but with slightly more updated tech, such as a colour screen and extremely limited shit phone games, and the battery life only lasts about a week. But to date, it has still survived what would have destroyed undoubtedly hundreds of iphones:
Being dropped out of a car
Being dropped heading out of a train (platform to tracks)
Being dropped out of a 4WD moving at highway speeds
Being run over
Being left outside accidentally
Being left on a roof in 30 Degree celsius weather
Being dropped into water (then battery removed and sat in rice, i'm not stupid thang christ)
various forms of physical damage

Nokia's are invincible man, at least the old models.

>Nokia's are invincible man, at least the old models.

I once cracked the screen of one by dropping it from a cliff. It only lasted a couple of months after that because rain water seeped into the phone from the crack. Only lasted 10 years, must have been a bad batch.

krk

>kids today won't know what it was like to forget where you left your phone charger because it's been so long since you last used it

My dad found one at the bottom of the river, we dried it up, charged it and it worked again. At the time whole famaly had a bunch of 'em. It was indeed the perfect phone.

ITT inb4 convergence

Yeah kids today only need micro usb cable and that's it

yeah my dad had that phone till last year, the games on that were amazing especially that alpha car game.

>(then battery removed and sat in rice, i'm not stupid thang christ)
but yes you are, the rice will do fucking nothing

do you think the rice can magically open your phone and wipe off any corrosion ?

>Nokia, connecting people.

Never again.

No, but apparently your extra chromosomes tell you I thought that.

You dipshit, just about every older (and some newer) Nokia N-model is sealed with the exception of the speakers and charge port, and i obviously didn't want fucking water droplets in those, so i put it in rice to absorb the moisture.

It still works fine either way.

Just get a used phone, or a new battery for an old one.

Buying a brand new dumbphone is a meme.

>a 16 year old 3310 will still likely outlast anything you buy now. Even with the headstart

The battery wont

>implying anyone with a function 3310 still has the original battery

Why is the 3310 such a meme? I know everyone and their mother owned one, but I`m pretty sure there were other phones just as stronk.

The 3310 was a very durable phone.
I had mine for ~ 5 years.
The software on it sucked though.
Eg, texts were stored on the SIM, so you had a max of 20-30 texts.
And when you were full, you had to delete them one by one manually.
Sony erricson had this feature where you could send a text to multiple people, and that could also be the same person.
This meant you could send 20 text at a time, thus filling the phone within a minute and then the person with the 3310 had to spend hours to delete so they could get the next batch, so they could get the next batch etc.

I know modern phones are terrible, but they are a lot better than the 3310 era phones.
Not as good as Sony Ericson days, but they are better.

God tier Nokia coming through

Did you guise know that Nokia is coming back with android phones in 2017?
androidcentral.com/nokia-making-comeback-2017-hmd-secures-exclusive-rights

I guess the build quality is very high and the circuitry very simple and padded?

Also the software is very simple, so it doesn't drain the battery almost at all. Smartphones today have a ridiculous amount of background processes, apps, internet, large screens, vibrant colors, sensors, etc...

I had a 3410 back in my last year of high school. I was a little shit and I wanted to break it so my parents would buy me a newer phone.
I literally used it as a soccer ball for 10 minutes one night with my friends on a concrete parking lot. After all that kicking it only had a few scratches all around. Then I pried the battery contacts with a pencil and it was still turning on. I ended up using it for another 6 months until I graduated and had enough money to buy a sony ericsson t39

I had one too and there was no problems deleting sms in bulk. And you could actually save sms to device, 120 of them if I remember correct. You just had to enable this feature in options. Literally there was a function called "delete all" and you could archive messages and use ready sms templates in the phone atleast in the models sold in Finland.

So you are telling me you used a phone for 5 years without knowing about these functions? Wtf!? You must be iPhone user these days.

Did you even know that you could go to store and upgrade the firmware if there was a problem with the phone? It was also free btw...

I have to charge mine to see if it is there now.

Yesterday on Reddit there was a hot knife vs Nokia video, phone barely had a scratch.

My dad does.

I'm not hopeful.

The batteries lasted for ages because the monochromatic lcd screens drew a small amount of power and there wasn't a million fucking processes running on the side like smartphones have now.
Basically those phones had great battery life because they were only phones and nothing else.

Had this phone 5 years back. Motherfucker survived a 3 storey fall, put it back on and it was back on working just as the way it was before.

The aim of the phone is pretty straightforward but it's uselessly expensive.

It's $500 in some markets. It's fucking ridiculous.

But Nokia still makes the best user-friendly dumb-phones no matter what. From what I've used Samsung's dumb phones have outrageously bright screens and it's not super easy like what Nokia makes. Give a Nokia 105 to an old man in India and he'll learn how to customize it's theme in less than 2 days.

Show proof.

are u techrax

Saw it. I was sitting there mouth opened. Nokia's a badass.

What proof? I got rid of it somewhere in the middle of the 00s