I plan on reinstalling Linux as a primary distribution for my desktop. Problem is, I play Gaymes...

I plan on reinstalling Linux as a primary distribution for my desktop. Problem is, I play Gaymes, what distro should I spring for?
>image unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can't play games on Loonix

Pic related is the best Loonix has to offer

Don't fall for the Linux meme.
It's still shit as a desktop OS.

Gentoo + Wine

Piss off.
It isn't.
Fuck Gentoo. I already run Arch on laptop.

Pretty much anything you feel comfortable, which has wine
I prefer debian unstable or arch

pretty much any debian-based linux distro + steam
or
said linux distros + wine or distro + emulator

Don't waste your time. You will just come back to Windows.

Linux is not a desktop operating system.
There are two desktop use cases: 1. Home use 2. Business enterprise use
In both these cases linux falls short. In home use, software simply isn't available for many home use cases. Performance is abysmal. Permissions are confusing for laypeople. Etc. All of the server parts of the OS ruin the home user experience. In business use the OS fails to be able to interact with standard business software and groupware.

Linux is only useful for serving up web pages on the cheap, or selling web hosting on the cheap. Another use case, although very narrow, is computation in the strictest sense--render farms and data processing--both of which are NOT desktop uses.

In the use case of server, linux also falls short.
Filesharing uses the gimped out SAMBA which is inferior to plain old windows server with active directory. If you don't know why SAMBA is garbage then you don't have enough experience in the enterprise world.

What would you expect from a 40 year old design where the only innovation is copying other systems. (cups+samba, samba, open directory, kerberos, etc).

Linux isn't even useful as a platform for business communications--there is nothing on it like outlook server--and this is a dead basic requirement for the enterprise. There is no groupware, other than Lotus which is complete shit.

There is no unified authentication for remote users either. You're stuck with a mishmash or kerberos, opendirectory, or maybe even radius thrown in the mix. Totally unacceptable.

Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

Every other use case is better served by a desktop OS. Use windows or get a mac.

Install Gentoo xdddd

DELET THIS

The following is pasta but it's relevant to the thread and contains useful links:

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

Debian is usually pretty solid. Easy to install and reliable

Because what is claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence i politely disagree.

Why does distro even matter for gaming purposes? Just use the one you like most.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Don't fall for the meme.

Windows is like a plastic butter knife and Linux is like steel kitchen knife. With windows kids feel always safe to use and have fun with it playing to be chefs, doing things like cutting tomatoes or maybe onions, even if they do it in a slow or clumsy way, but meanwhile they feel happy and satisfied with themselves. Then when they see you cooking with the steel knife they starts wondering how it feels, then they starts whining that they want to cook like you and want to use the steel knife instead the small plastic one. You say that you cannot do that because you're busy but you'll teach him later. The kid gets angry and start whining more that he want the knife now and don't want the plastic one anymore, you tell him that to use the knife he must practice and be patient, meanwhile he should start with a smaller one. The kid gets more angry and tell you that he don't need your ugly and stupid knife because the yellow plastic one is more cool, and more safe, and he can do the same things, and that this one is not allowed for adults to use. Then you laugh in a light way like thinking 'that's cute' and you just say ok.

Later in the night when you're sleeping, the kid takes the steel knife and starts playing with it. He feels very exited, this one is heavier, shiny, it cuts things very easily, now he feels like a professional. Then he try to cut harder things, or trying to cut the vegetables in small cubes. During his play he mistakenly cuts his finger and starts crying very loud. You wake up and hurry up to see whats happening and you cure his finger with a bandage and cleaning the injure. The kid starts blaming you saying that this is because you didn't lend him the knife when he asked, that you never have time for him, that your shitty knife is dangerous and you're a retard for using it, that he didn't need anyway, that was your fault for always treating him like a kid. The only thing you do then is hug him and say, 'ok but promise me that you'll not try to use the knife again until being more grown', the kid just nods with his head while a tear walks over his face.

>Linux for gaming
No, just no

I said no

You forgot the part where the steel kitchen knife is hooked up to a Rube Goldberg machine and impossible to get going without reading the manual for several hours, and then it still usually doesn't work. Then you just switch to the Slapchop.

Just dual boot OP

And while that sharp knife may be useful, you do find yourself unnecessarily struggling with simple tasks, such as spreading butter or other spreads on bread.

If you think like that then just continue using the butter knife, the steel knife is "ugly and stupid knife because the yellow plastic one is more cool, and more safe, and he can do the same things, and that this one is not allowed for adults to use" right?

see , also for that few situations i just can use the butter knife.

Dual boot or play on consoles (I recommend the Vita)

>no evidence
You are wrong

Ubuntu or Arch

I don't know OP.

I just built a gaming desktop and I've been trying to get Linux working correctly for 3 days now.

I've got Kubuntu 16.10 installed. Lots of shit wasn't working at all at the start and I wasted a full day fucking around with it and trying to solve problems myself with no prior Linux experience.

I finally gave up and went to the Kubuntu IRC for support.

It took live troubleshooting with three different users for an house to get my MOUSE CURSOR working correctly. Another FOUR hours to get decent network speeds out of my ethernet connection so I could stop using a USB wifi connection.

Every time I boot now I have to run a terminal command to force my adapter into 100mbps mode because for some reason my ethernet controller wont play nice with the kernal at gigabit speeds, until I either figure out a more permanent workaround or find a solution for my network adapter issue. It's already been suggested that I might have to compile my driver myself with special settings to get it to work right.

Basically, shit. I'm having a hard time not going back to Windows.

I just want to play fucking star citizen and planetside but I'm nowhere close to being able to do so even though I had the hardware up and running on Sunday.

That's strange, ubuntu generally works ootb in most computers i have tried.

for an hour

Have fun trying to butter your bread then mang. You could just do what I do and buy a knife set, so you will never find yourself struggling and will have a knife for every situation. Just limiting yourself to a single knife is a pretty stupid idea.

>Have fun trying to butter your bread then mang.
That why i said a just can use the butter knife for that.

>You could just do what I do and buy a knife set, so you will never find yourself struggling and will have a knife for every situation.
I think at this point you're taking the post too seriously.

>Just limiting yourself to a single knife is a pretty stupid idea.
I never said that.

Seriously, i didn't expected for someone to actually get upset with that pasta but whatever floats your boat.

lincucks BTFO

see

That might be the case for computers with older hardware, but it seems like there are some real issues with getting things to work on a current "TOTL" system.

Intel I219-V ethernet module just isn't playing nice with Ubuntu, even after upgrading to the 4.9 kernal.

I had to manually install a handful of updates to get my GTX1080 even kind of working. I haven't tested with anything GPU intensive yet so who knows if it's really working now or not.

My secondary drive (2TB HDD) doesn't mount on startup and I still have to figure out how to fix that.

It's just shit like this that makes it really tempting to use Windows, an OS I have 10+ years of familiarity with and can troubleshoot most any problem by myself.

>That might be the case for computers with older hardware
Hmmm, my hardware it's not that old but it's true linux usually works better with hardware at least 6 months old because not all hardware manufacturers adds support to the kernel early.

>Intel I219-V ethernet module just isn't playing nice with Ubuntu, even after upgrading to the 4.9 kernal.
For me that would be by far an exception, ethernet usually works fine ootb.

>I had to manually install a handful of updates to get my GTX1080 even kind of working.
Doesn't the package manager takes care of that? do you have the proprietary nvidia drivers installed?

>My secondary drive (2TB HDD) doesn't mount on startup and I still have to figure out how to fix that.
On linux drives are usually not mounted on startup, download a program called gnome-disk-utility and you can mount it on startup easily, pic related.

>It's just shit like this that makes it really tempting to use Windows, an OS I have 10+ years of familiarity with and can troubleshoot most any problem by myself.
whatever floats your boat, linux is certainly different and maybe you had a bit of bad luck but in my own experience is much more comfy once you are accustommed, just MHO.

Any Debian-based distro, which has the better drivers.

This meme isn't real anymore, my friend.

10 RUPEES HAVE BEEN DEPOSITED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT PAJEET

Everyone I've talked to about the ethernet issue says it's an odd issue, but that doesn't change the fact that I have the issue.

There is also no official linux driver for the I219-V on Intels website. The one for the I218-V supposedly works according to some people on various linux forums, but trying to install it results in an error saying the kernal is too old even though it's the most recent kernal.

The package manager only worked to install the updates after I figured out I would have to use a USB wifi device to get decent download speeds.

I'm using KDE not gnome so is there a KDE alternative to gnome-disk-utility? I used the partition manager in KDE to partition the drive but I haven't been able to figure out how to set auto mounting options.