Are windows users liars?

>why don't you install linux? gaming isn't an excuse
>but muh professional software
If I had to make up some stats based on what I read on the internet, the 98% of windows users are professional users whose lives depend on using some ultra specific program that isn't on linux. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22700
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What do you think?

I think you should kill yourself, dumb frogposter.

because I don't want to spend all my time fixing things?

not an argument

Yeah 90% of them probably couldn't figure out how to edit a photo in photoshop, probably have never done anything more with MS Office than type an essay for school in MS word.

I never used spread sheets or power point until I went to college and I had to take a class on each because Microsoft pays the school to teach us their products (literally that's what the professor said).

Since those classes I've never needed to use spread sheets and I only used google slides (basically online power point) for a couple of classes.

Most people are getting by with just a smart phone running the linux kernel these days.

I need the adobe -programs for work and don't want to deal with linux bullshit when I'm on a deadline.

For my job I need access to SAP, Outlook for several email inboxes and the full suite of Microsoft office.

Could I survive on Linux? Yes probably but why I would go to all that trouble when my company laptop is already proficiently setup in the windows environment.

For home use sure, I could use only Linux. Right now I dualboot.

Just give me Age of Empires II on linux and I'll ditch windows entirely at home.

You need Photoshop to make Pepes, dumbass

Linux is great and all but is not aimed for productivity or entertainment.

>not an argument
not an argument

You mean like, it's just working as normal and not telling you it's going to reboot and install updates without your permission? That kinda bullshit?

>SOMETHING WENT WRONG

>Lincucks are this autistic about other people's choice of operating system

I installed openSUSE and use it as my main OS now. I kept Windows 10 and dualboot into it for games. As it is now somewhat of a hassle, I just play games less and try to make the time count more, which is perhaps a good thing.

We all benefit when people use open source software.

>because I don't want to spend all my time fixing things?
This.

Also gaming.

Call me back when GIMP isn't a non-working piece of crap, Photoshop is quite possible the only reason I'm sticking to windows right now.

I actually prepare for switching at least to Dual-Boot by fucking around with Debian on my Pi.

Having people like you around in the workplace is not a benefit

i'm a windows user and i have linux on my server (web+email server, bittorrent client, running 24/7). it would never cross my mind to put windows on it for that kind of task, same as i would never use linux for photo and video development work, and yes, muh gaymes. also:

>gaming isn't an excuse
why. I use Windows (not 10, obvs) on my desktop purely for gaymen and I'm happy with it. Why are you trying to force me to switch to ganoo/linox so hard?

>no ableton on linux
>no reaktor on linux
I know about bitwig. Tell me about it when they fix the horrible automation controls and add native support for MIDI hardware.

I'm not really sure what autistic about it. He's talking about wanting an operating system to do work without interruption, yet the one he is touting flat out doesn't even let you control your own computer!

But I do need windows for professional applications. I'm a mechanical engineer and I use SolidWorks, Inventor, AutoCad, outlook, and a program to generate plasma table code. I also need to use quickbooks for our inventory system and excel to drive my design tables. I can't do all that in Linux.

And at home I do hobby 3D modeling, and play games, meaning windows. Though I do keep a linux distro around and use it now and then for small file servers.

Gaming is an excuse. You can't just throw it out like that.

I need Windows for AutoCAD, Office, and Outlook, and I wouldn't call AutoCAD "ultra specific."

>SAP
SAP is also on linux
>outlook
thunderbird
>MS Office
Libre Office or VM
>Age of Empires II
are you retarded?

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22700

>mfw all these people having imaginary problems

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17

wine or VM, photoshop isn't an excuse anymore, what do you think this is, 2008?

>ableton
runs on wine, and with a VM, are you all retarded?

bought Photoshop legal. This is my reason to stay on W7 for as long as possible. But I try to work with gimp sometimes just to be ok if I have to fully switch to debian in the future.

Because I just got a brand new 1070 and don't want it to go to waste

Also Linux has terrible support for my monitor

>runs on wine, and with a VM, are you all retarded?
You possibly never used any DAW in your life, those things are cpu intense. Native support is a must, wine and VMs start chopping with a few layer of tracks.

>Libre Office

LOL

I've used ableton on linux and it runs extremely well, never noticed any performance issues and it supports midi keyboards just fine too.

>the 98% of windows users are professional users whose lives depend on using some ultra specific program that isn't on linux.

I use windows for work even though Linux is by far the most superior OS. The reason is not due to some program per se, but I am a programmer and a lot of the code at work is programmed with windows in mind so I need it to run it.

Thankfully we use google docs and not office so in another project I could probably use linux.

i use photoshop and illustrator every day for my job and i use ableton live for fun i also play csgo but thay runs nativly on linux

however i agree but most people who use windows for that dont even know linux exists

>on linux
*with wine

>gaming isn't an excuse
I barely play games but it's still important that the ones I do want to play can be played. A computer is supposed to do what I want, when I want, how I want, when I want. with Linux, you're not immediately satisfied, you have to jump through hoops to do things.
Instant gratification isn't bad. It's only 'bad' when other people don't have it so they have that sour grapes scenario and say "well your instant gratification isn't so great, I had to earn my modded new vegas" jesus fuck they're so proud of using something that somebody else made.

Do not take pride in using a particular operating system and there is no problem with any of them. Macfags won't spout their nonsense if they don't take pride, windows fags won't have to defend themselves if linux fags figure out how to install last years drivers for pride, it's all about wanting to know that your choice isn't bad or worst.

what kind of music did you make? which plugins?

Get fucked. Linux is shit. Can't even edit pdfs. (as in EDIT them, not fill them out, retards)

most windows users dont even know what linux is

Unixes are terrible for desktops.

Truly, tragic and miserable.

OP is a faggot, you don't have to go out of your way to need windows

I want to use Amplitube for guitar, BOOM not on Linux

I want to play League of Legends, the most popular video game, BOOM runs like shit on Linux

that's two for me and I don't get paid for that shit either

and I actually use linux

AND windows

Linux is an inferior option for all professions except computer science.

mostly ambient for fun, the only downside is that some VST plugins don't work.

>install linux
>install software to make non-linux software able to run

My life does not depend on Ableton Live, but I can't live without it.

>he wants to edit a read-only by design file
Whoa dude, that's some serious autismo here.
Do you also edit programs in binary code instead of altering the source?

You're on Sup Forums, most people here are Sup Forumstards and some actually need something for a tech related job only Windows provides (or they don't want to learn how to use an alternative). Obviously, you don't need more than LibreOffice/WPS/Google docs as an office suite since they aren't used outside presentations and schools/colleges, and most things that are used are simple texts or graphs which all Linux available offices can manage so "muh ms office" isn't an excuse at all as I haven't seen a feature available on it that free offices don't have. Majority of adults don't need anything adobe, so the fact is that over half of Windows users who don't play Windows exclusive games would be perfectly fine and maybe even better on something like Ubuntu, Elementary, Zorin or mint (or even Solus). But Sup Forums has a very active 18- user community and kids (even adults) enjoy video games and there's nothing wrong with that, it's their happy pill and they don't want to lose it. Some people just don't WANT to use PlayOnLinux to make their league of legends or world of Warcraft work. Though those 2 can work fine and are just an example, the newer generation games won't (yes new games are mostly shit, but never mind that). Sure, there are lots of games on Linux and more will come as cross-platform support becomes a standard, but it isn't yet. And the problems are these:
>kids don't want Linux because it doesn't have newest Windows only games
>adults don't want Linux because they don't have time to install the operating system and their machine already came with Windows
>old people don't even know what Linux is or they don't use their PC as often to even care what's running on it other than e-mail, browser and maybe a media player
Linux would be more used if manufacturers sell devices with it. Look at Android.

I'm a linux and Windows user and I can confirm Linux does not miss a thing other than perhaps more extensive settings which I've heard Zorin and openSUSE have anyway.

Linux is not a desktop operating system.
There are two desktop use cases: 1. Home use 2. Business enterprise use
In both these cases linux falls short. In home use, software simply isn't available for many home use cases. Performance is abysmal. Permissions are confusing for laypeople. Etc. All of the server parts of the OS ruin the home user experience. In business use the OS fails to be able to interact with standard business software and groupware.

Linux is only useful for serving up web pages on the cheap, or selling web hosting on the cheap. Another use case, although very narrow, is computation in the strictest sense--render farms and data processing--both of which are NOT desktop uses.

In the use case of server, linux also falls short.
Filesharing uses the gimped out SAMBA which is inferior to plain old windows server with active directory. If you don't know why SAMBA is garbage then you don't have enough experience in the enterprise world.

What would you expect from a 40 year old design where the only innovation is copying other systems. (cups+samba, samba, open directory, kerberos, etc).

Linux isn't even useful as a platform for business communications--there is nothing on it like outlook server--and this is a dead basic requirement for the enterprise. There is no groupware, other than Lotus which is complete shit.

There is no unified authentication for remote users either. You're stuck with a mishmash or kerberos, opendirectory, or maybe even radius thrown in the mix. Totally unacceptable.

Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

Every other use case is better served by a desktop OS.

in w8.1, those things dont exist.
in my i use adobe,corel,roland software daily and
do my programming projects.
this kinda things require a solid OS.

*in my case

>brother installs Linux on my laptop
>I ask him how to install a program
>"open command line, type wget and paste the download link, then type in this command to extract..."
>"put windows back on right fucking now!"

linux mostly sucks though. too many snowflake distros.

This imaginary brother of yours would be a retard if this story were real. The real way to install a program is sudo apt-get install
>inb4 such a retard brother would install any other distro but 'buntu

Give 0ad a try

I do tons of shit with libreoffice and it's fine. I output to pdf and no one even knows.

linux lacks stable drivers, convenient software, easy install/upgrade/patch, normiecentric design, ease of use, accessibility options, software support, the list goes on forever...

it took us decades to teach normies to use Windows. they are incapable of using your hack and rice server OS on their workstation.

don't* need